Season review - how did we do?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Fowler_E7 » Tue May 23, 2017 3:52 pm

Id give us a 7/10, we made our minimum target of achieving champions league football and we got to the Semi Final of a cup competition whilst showing a significant improvement on the pitch from last season. Winning the league cup and making a proper sustained challenge for the league would have made it an excellent season but the squad was far too shallow and we really should of brought more players in, hopefully Klopp learns from this and brings in quality reinforcements for next season as we have an extra competition to play and further development needed to compete with our rivals, the likes of Man Utd, City and Chelsea will spend huge and Tottenham and Arsenal will no doubt strengthen so we need to be on the ball with our summer recruitment.
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby leeroy74 » Wed May 24, 2017 1:10 pm

Eagle » Mon May 22, 2017 9:40 pm wrote:At the start of the season I would have said top 4 was par, what with no Europe. But considering the injuries we had and the fact that we were one of five teams who finished with 75+ points, I think Klopp has done better than par. Compared to last season we've won more games, collected more points, scored more goals and conceded fewer goals. Whichever way you look at it we have progressed in the league. It's more of a challenge next season with the addition of European football but I'm very happy we have Klopp in charge.

I'd agree with that! A few clever signings and a couple of lessons learnt might see us in with a chance next year.
leeroy74
LFC Super Member

Postby Penguins » Wed May 24, 2017 1:31 pm

It's 7/10 for me.

Some bad mostly good points over the season.
Mane and Matip were really good signings but there were also absolute shiite in Klavan, Karius. The usual when we try to get top class on the cheap.
Some great attacking football, doing very well against the top teams and some horrible performances doing bad against lower tier opponents.
But what I find extremely worrying is the lack of depth. We had NO europe whatsoever this seasons and got hurt badly but the African Cup and by just a few injuries.
Unless like 5 new players come in this summer next season will turn ugly quickly if a few injuries happens.
With the squad Klopp had to work with this season you can't be dissatisfied. It's not that good at all, especially outside the 1st 12-13 players...
Penguins
LFC Super Member

Postby kazza » Wed May 24, 2017 2:28 pm

I'd say 7 out of 10. I am happy we made CL as it was a big step but I feel it could have been better. Happy with Mane, Matip and Wijnaldum. Happy with the way we play and I do not think we a too far away from challenging. Clever tweaks this summer would make all the difference.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Wed May 24, 2017 2:41 pm

Think at the start of the season most of us would have been happy with a top four finish. Considering where we finished last term I certainly would have.

Some of us are perhaps expressing a degree of disappointment that we didn't do better but given the up's and downs we had in terms of players being unavailable through injury or other commitments I thought we did well.

Given our league position and being touted as possible champions at Xmas was a sign that a fully fit (and available) Liverpool team were real contenders BUT let's be honest, how many of us thought at the start of the season we'd be in that position ? , I didn't.

Injuries and absent players then exposed our frailty in squad depth and a dip in form and results. Many have moaned about Klopp/FSG's failure to re-inforce in the January window. Although not particularly happy at the time I'm glad our manager didn't panic and splurge a massive sum on another Benteke, Andy Carroll  or any other "available" quick fix you could name.

Obviously we now more than ever need more depth and quality in the squad  but i'll stick with Jurgen when he says

sic "I don't need players who want to jump on the train, I want players who will push it ! "

Given our squad compared to that of the other usual CL suspects I'll give a 9/10 for what Kloppo and our players have done this season.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby maguskwt » Thu May 25, 2017 12:48 pm

I maintain that we missed an opportunity this season so therefore will rate our season 5/10.

Yes if we say that at the  beginning of the season, we would have glady taken top 4 spot, then klopp achieved the goal and probably deserves a 7/10 rating or something. But that's not exactly how things work. At the beginning of the season, we see 4 other teams with superior squads and world class managers, Chelsea, City, the Mancs and Arsenal. At the beginning of the season, we dont know how our new players will perform. At the beginning of the season, we dontknow that we will start the season very well and top the league at the end of November. However by November, we were firing on all cylinders. The two manchester teams were struggling. We started the season very well and topped the league by end of November. Our downfall was very much avoidable. If not totally avoidable, then at least mitigated by the manager and the owners.

1. Klopp knows that he will be without Ings for the whole season.
2. Klopp continues to alienate our best striker Daniel Sturridge.
3. Klopp knows that he has decided to exile our best defender Sakho rightly or wrongly.
4. Klopp knows that he will be without Mane at our most congested Schedule
5. Yet, we proceed to work our transfer budget so that we spend net 0.
6. After that its the tactical missteps such as being too rigid with tactics, not bringing on subs and sometimes deploying lineups that were too negative.

So while I'm glad that we achieved top 4, and agree that it is a good progress, we have lost a great opportunity to finish even higher and challenge for the title. Next season, the manchester clubs will improve tremendously and we will yet again see us struggling to finish top 4.
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kazza » Mon May 29, 2017 4:49 pm

kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby aCe' » Mon May 29, 2017 5:44 pm

Cant be bothered with a long post so I'll bullet point it.

8/10

- Averaged exactly 2 points a game ; this must have been out objective going in, sometimes you finish 4th with it, sometimes higher.
- Scored 78 goals (more than 2 a game) and that average could have been higher if not for Mane/Coutinho/Sturridge missing many games.
- Only lost one game against a top10 side all season (Bournemouth in a freak result)
- Summer purchases of Mane, Matip and Wijnaldum were big hits. Karius so far proving a bad buy
- Results against the top4 have added to the reputation of the club. Many of the big sides will not want to face us home or away next season with out style of play.
- Stadium expansion

Klopp will have this postseason to study where he went wrong last season (and it shouldn't take that long). Transfers (adding both quality and depth to the squad) and a better understanding of how we should play against the smaller sides will be key for next season.
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion