DIRK KUYT - Official Thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Benny The Noon » Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:03 pm

Good luck, always, Dirk by Rafa Benitez
"A footballer is leaving Liverpool but above all they are losing a good person, an excellent professional, a great example for all to follow"

06/06/2012rafabenitez.com

A few years ago, a former player of mine from my time at CF Extremadura, Igor Gluscevic, was singing the praises of a team mate of his at Utrecht. The player in question he was always talking about was a certain Dirk Kuyt. He told me that he was so impressive in his work rate and sacrifice for the team. He worked his socks off from the first minute to the last but also he could score goals for fun. As if this wasn’t enough he was a great mate and an excellent professional. He would be a great signing with a consistent level for any side.

Some time later, in August 2006, Liverpool FC, where I was the manager, were looking for a good striker and a right sided midfielder with a good work rate and stamina. But as was always the case, we only had enough money for one of them so I had to choose which one to prioritise. As things happened, I decided that the striker was the priority and a few days later the same Dirk Kuyt signed for LFC from Feyenoord who had brought him from Utrecht. There has not been a single day, not one, when I regretted that decision, in fact it has been the complete opposite. If there is anything I have learnt from experience it is that the signing of Kuyt gave me a player for an exceptional team, as he was versatile, committed, professional and exemplary in his behaviour on and off the field.

As Gluscevic had said, he was an excellent profesional and team mate. But the tall Montenegran didn’t tell me that he was also very effective. His quick turns have surprised many a defender in the Premier League and his involvement in the game was constant. He could play in any attacking position and always knew what he had to do anticipating the situation. He set examples which speak volumes for his form, his commitment and sacrifice for the team. When no-one showed to receive from a throw-in there was always the willing and ever ready Dirk. If you needed someone to get in to position to finish, of course it would be him. When you needed someone to run behind the defence against Milan to create space between the lines for Gerrard again it had to be Kuyt. If you needed one last effort to help against a defender who was getting forward, Dirk Kuyt did it willingly as if he would do it ad infinitum.

A lot of people talk of players who play for the shirt and their loyalty, but I can tell you that in my opinion, in my career as a coach, I don’t know of many players who have played for the Liverpool shirt like he did from the day he arrived to the last second he played for that red shirt. Never, not once, did he complain about having to play in a different role or out of position to help the cause. Not everyone can say the same. He was always the first to train, to improve, to progress and to set an example, he was a true team mate in all senses of the word on the pitch and a model human being off it.

Those who count these things say that he has played 285 matches for LFC and has scored 71 goals, 51 in the Premier League. That’s not bad at all. Especially if we take in to account that they are icing on the cake of all his assets which statistics don’t show: the contribution and good he brought to the team with his industry, his thoroughness, his sacrifice, his generosity and camaraderie.

These are simple things, notes in the margin of a story created from a philosophy engrained with playing for the team, but I remember when he scored in the final in Athens to give us a lifeline when we were running out of time. Also his important goals, in the same competition against Inter Milan, Arsenal or Chelsea. Of all Kuyt’s goals I remember the one he got in the 118th minute of the legendary game against Standard Liege at Anfield which took Liverpool form the qualifiers to the group stages of the Champions League that year.

His three goals against United and the decisive part he played coming on from the bench to win the Carling Cup last season will always stick in the memory of true Liverpool fans. There are so many good things you can say about Dirk Kuyt that they are too numerous to go in this simple and sincere note of thanks.

A player, a footballer is leaving Liverpool but above all they are losing a good person, an excellent professional, a great example for all to follow. And I couldn’t resist dedicating these few lines of thanks.

The best of luck in your new venture, Dirk. You deserve it.

Rafa Benítez.
Benny The Noon

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:01 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby D___C » Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:16 pm

Nice write up that by Rafa. By all accounts his wife is a great person also.

Hope to see Dirk back at Anfield one day to get a good reception. The ultimate team player, very unselfish. A class act hes up there with big Sami
D___C

Postby Kukilon » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:19 am

Benny The Noon » Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:03 pm wrote:Good luck, always, Dirk by Rafa Benitez
"A footballer is leaving Liverpool but above all they are losing a good person, an excellent professional, a great example for all to follow"

A few years ago, a former player of mine from my time at CF Extremadura, Igor Gluscevic, was singing the praises of a team mate of his at Utrecht. The player in question he was always talking about was a certain Dirk Kuyt. He told me that he was so impressive in his work rate and sacrifice for the team. He worked his socks off from the first minute to the last but also he could score goals for fun. As if this wasn’t enough he was a great mate and an excellent professional. He would be a great signing with a consistent level for any side.

Some time later, in August 2006, Liverpool FC, where I was the manager, were looking for a good striker and a right sided midfielder with a good work rate and stamina. But as was always the case, we only had enough money for one of them so I had to choose which one to prioritise. As things happened, I decided that the striker was the priority and a few days later the same Dirk Kuyt signed for LFC from Feyenoord who had brought him from Utrecht. There has not been a single day, not one, when I regretted that decision, in fact it has been the complete opposite. If there is anything I have learnt from experience it is that the signing of Kuyt gave me a player for an exceptional team, as he was versatile, committed, professional and exemplary in his behaviour on and off the field.

As Gluscevic had said, he was an excellent profesional and team mate. But the tall Montenegran didn’t tell me that he was also very effective. His quick turns have surprised many a defender in the Premier League and his involvement in the game was constant. He could play in any attacking position and always knew what he had to do anticipating the situation. He set examples which speak volumes for his form, his commitment and sacrifice for the team. When no-one showed to receive from a throw-in there was always the willing and ever ready Dirk. If you needed someone to get in to position to finish, of course it would be him. When you needed someone to run behind the defence against Milan to create space between the lines for Gerrard again it had to be Kuyt. If you needed one last effort to help against a defender who was getting forward, Dirk Kuyt did it willingly as if he would do it ad infinitum.

A lot of people talk of players who play for the shirt and their loyalty, but I can tell you that in my opinion, in my career as a coach, I don’t know of many players who have played for the Liverpool shirt like he did from the day he arrived to the last second he played for that red shirt. Never, not once, did he complain about having to play in a different role or out of position to help the cause. Not everyone can say the same. He was always the first to train, to improve, to progress and to set an example, he was a true team mate in all senses of the word on the pitch and a model human being off it.

Those who count these things say that he has played 285 matches for LFC and has scored 71 goals, 51 in the Premier League. That’s not bad at all. Especially if we take in to account that they are icing on the cake of all his assets which statistics don’t show: the contribution and good he brought to the team with his industry, his thoroughness, his sacrifice, his generosity and camaraderie.

These are simple things, notes in the margin of a story created from a philosophy engrained with playing for the team, but I remember when he scored in the final in Athens to give us a lifeline when we were running out of time. Also his important goals, in the same competition against Inter Milan, Arsenal or Chelsea. Of all Kuyt’s goals I remember the one he got in the 118th minute of the legendary game against Standard Liege at Anfield which took Liverpool form the qualifiers to the group stages of the Champions League that year.

His three goals against United and the decisive part he played coming on from the bench to win the Carling Cup last season will always stick in the memory of true Liverpool fans. There are so many good things you can say about Dirk Kuyt that they are too numerous to go in this simple and sincere note of thanks.

A player, a footballer is leaving Liverpool but above all they are losing a good person, an excellent professional, a great example for all to follow. And I couldn’t resist dedicating these few lines of thanks.

Rafa Benítez.

:buttrock
Kukilon
LFC Super Member

Postby supersub » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:28 pm

Benny The Noon » Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:03 pm wrote:Good luck, always, Dirk by Rafa Benitez

Rafa Benítez.

A letter from all Liverpool supporters but written by a Liverpool Legend on our behalf...thank you Dirk for your contribution to the Anfield Legacy :buttrock
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby kazza » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:47 pm

Benny The Noon » Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:03 pm wrote:Good luck, always, Dirk by Rafa Benitez

Rafa Benítez.

Two class acts
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby KennyisGod....still » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:09 pm

thats a great write up from Rafa. Lotta people never really appreciated Dirk's play, he got slagged on here rotten at times, but no-one could ever criticise his work rate or commitment. We had a few more with that kind of attitude we wouldn't be lookin at our 3rd manager in 2 yrs.....
Stu Averill, a wannabe Scouse/Scot. I remember the good times & have faith in them comin back

Beside the Hillsborough Flame, I heard a Koppite mournin, "Why so many taken on that day?" Justice has never been done. But their memory we'll carry on. There'll be Glory Round The Fields Of Anfield Road
KennyisGod....still
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby IstanBuL-FenerBaHce » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:51 pm

Salute mates!

Yesterday Kuyt missed a critical penalty kick (hit the post unluckily), and today all the Turkish press sh*t questions about his spot-kick ability.

I remember he was one of the penalty takers after Gerrard in LFC, am I wrong?

Edit: Ops, where the f*ck are my avatar and signature!
IstanBuL-FenerBaHce
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:17 pm

dirk scored some huge pens for us.
what about his pen in the CL semi final against chelsea that took us to athens? talk about pressure!
he scored pens in derby games at goodison and scored pens against the likes of spurs and arsenal too.
he was a good pen taker.
anyone can miss a pen.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby supersub » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:56 pm

Dirk would certainly be on my list for taking a crucial penalty...had a better conversion ratio than SG for instance
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby IstanBuL-FenerBaHce » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:58 pm

Thanks friends. I knew he got good statistics on penalties, but just wanted to verify it.

Btw he is doing great job here even his age. Unbelievable.
IstanBuL-FenerBaHce
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Wed May 17, 2017 4:45 pm

Just after confirming his legendary status with Feyenoord by sealing the title with a hat-trick Dirk Kuyt has officially retired from football

Just like to take this opportunity to thank him for the commitment he showed in his tireless performances in a red shirt, I hope he goes on to manage and his teams mirror the same application and warrior-like  will to win he displayed every game he played in front of Liverpool fans.

:buttrock  :buttrock  :buttrock  :buttrock  :buttrock  :buttrock]

RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kazza » Wed May 17, 2017 9:28 pm

RED BEERGOGGLES » Wed May 17, 2017 3:45 pm wrote:Just after confirming his legendary status with Feyenoord by sealing the title with a hat-trick Dirk Kuyt has officially retired from football

Just like to take this opportunity to thank him for the commitment he showed in his tireless performances in a red shirt, I hope he goes on to manage and his teams mirror the same application and warrior-like  will to win he displayed every game he played in front of Liverpool fans.

:buttrock  :buttrock  :buttrock  :buttrock  :buttrock  :buttrock]

:buttrock  :buttrock  :buttrock
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maguskwt » Thu May 18, 2017 3:01 am

Perfect way to retire. What a warrior.
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Thu May 18, 2017 10:16 am

He's a legend. And a shining example to any player that hard work pays off.

I remember him dropping down the pecking order from being a striker. Many players would have let their heads drop and move on. Not Dirk. He reinvented himself as a wide forward and become one of the best in the league  :nod
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion