If we fail to achieve CL qualification this season...

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby alxy » Sat May 06, 2017 3:44 pm

Never mind, found this article in another thread: http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/fo ... t-12879775

Yes, it does mean if ManU win the EL and we finish 4th, then we don't get CL. Looking at how the EL is shaping up, can easily see ManU getting to the final. Ajax or Lyon? Both wouldn't exactly make any top team quake, though anything can happen in a final. Still, ManU would be favorites to win it if they do reach the final. Which means we have to win ALL our games now by a comfortable margin as ManCity are now ahead of us by 4 goals GD. Tall order as ManCity run-in not exactly the worst also
alxy

Postby parchpea » Sat May 06, 2017 4:44 pm

A win tomorrow and I feel it was take something extraordinary for us not to get top 4 but 3rd is very important given the calibre of clubs lined up for the qualifying games.

Ive always felt it odd that finishing 4th is celebrated and presented as being in the Champions League when all you have achieved is qualification for a playoff to get in it.

If it is 4th then summer recruitment becomes even more important, we must put the money down to ensure we maximise our chances in that playoff by bringing in proven quality not just potential, we have to be ready to roll.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby only me » Sat May 06, 2017 4:58 pm

alxy » Sat May 06, 2017 2:44 pm wrote:Never mind, found this article in another thread: http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/fo ... t-12879775

Yes, it does mean if ManU win the EL and we finish 4th, then we don't get CL. Looking at how the EL is shaping up, can easily see ManU getting to the final. Ajax or Lyon? Both wouldn't exactly make any top team quake, though anything can happen in a final. Still, ManU would be favorites to win it if they do reach the final. Which means we have to win ALL our games now by a comfortable margin as ManCity are now ahead of us by 4 goals GD. Tall order as ManCity run-in not exactly the worst also

no it doesn't...Only if Leicester would have won the CL...
only me
LFC Super Member

Postby woof woof ! » Sat May 06, 2017 7:37 pm

parchpea » Sat May 06, 2017 4:44 pm wrote:A win tomorrow and I feel it was take something extraordinary for us not to get top 4 but 3rd is very important given the calibre of clubs lined up for the qualifying games.

Ive always felt it odd that finishing 4th is celebrated and presented as being in the Champions League when all you have achieved is qualification for a playoff to get in it.

If it is 4th then summer recruitment becomes even more important, we must put the money down to ensure we maximise our chances in that playoff by bringing in proven quality not just potential, we have to be ready to roll.

Maybe it's my fading memory but it seems to me there was a time when the calibre of the opposition in the qualifying round wasn't that threatening, BUT you're right, potentially there are some very tough sides we could be drawn against in order to progress to the group stage. (I'm assuming here that we make the top four but that isn't yet nailed on).

Also agree that (top four or not) as far as possible we've got to sign some proven quality if we're going to push on from what we may have achieved this season.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby alxy » Sun May 07, 2017 9:26 am

only me » Sat May 06, 2017 3:58 pm wrote:
alxy » Sat May 06, 2017 2:44 pm wrote:Never mind, found this article in another thread: http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/fo ... t-12879775

no it doesn't...Only if Leicester would have won the CL...

Oh OK, now i get it. So top 4 is good enough for now, as Leicester are out. But still, I would hope for top 3, as it's a direct route to CL. Getting 4th would mean going through a tricky playoff against possibly a top team.
alxy

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion