Fixing our defence - what needs to be done?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby woof woof ! » Sun Mar 13, 2016 4:46 pm

Eagle » Sat Mar 12, 2016 2:56 pm wrote:5 clean sheets in our last 7 games with only 2 goals conceded. Not bad.

True. I think we've overlooked that improvement of late, possibly because we're always worried that a ***** up is just around the corner.

Even though our defence has recently done well I'd like to see

1, a solid "John Terry like" leader/organiser in the centre of our defence.

2, a keeper superior to Mignolet

3, an improvement at left back

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby johnbarnes » Sun Mar 13, 2016 7:10 pm

woof woof ! » Sun Mar 13, 2016 4:46 pm wrote:
Eagle » Sat Mar 12, 2016 2:56 pm wrote:5 clean sheets in our last 7 games with only 2 goals conceded. Not bad.

True. I think we've overlooked that improvement of late, possibly because we're always worried that a ***** up is just around the corner.

Even though our defence has recently done well I'd like to see

1, a solid "John Terry like" leader/organiser in the centre of our defence.

2, a keeper superior to Mignolet

3, an improvement at left back

Thread closed!
Woof has just concluded this one...
  :nod
johnbarnes
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:02 am

Personally I'd just bring in a new keeper to give Mingolet some competition, with Sakho and Lovren looking half decent plus the form of Lucas (and Matip coming in) i think we are okay at CB.
Even at LB, I know Moreno is getting a bit of stick at the moment but I quite like him, his recovery pace often gets us out of the [shi]t and given his age (early 20's) he will only improve.
If I was Jurgen I'd take the entire transfer budget and blow the lot on a keeper and 2 or 3 top, top quality central midfielders.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Fowler_E7 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:40 am

A new Goalkeeper and a left back and we will be fine, we have decent options at centre back and right back but Mignolet and Moreno are shocking players  and need shipping out ASAP, both are complete liabilities.
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maguskwt » Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:14 pm

When one of the Southampton players run at the defence, our defenders start panicking. It wasn't even funny. No composure no leadership. When can we get back to the days of hyppia-henchoz and hyppia- carra partnerships.
Alot of ppl think the can is the next big thing. But I think that he doesn't give enough cover and sometimes too lazy to defend.
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:16 pm

woof woof ! » Sun Mar 13, 2016 3:46 pm wrote:

Didn't have to wait for long mate... you jinxed it :veryangry  :D
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Thommo's perm » Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:34 pm

Fu'ck Skrtel off
Simples
:p
Thommo's perm

Postby Pig Catcher » Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:19 pm

I think it will be Sakho, Lovren and Matip fighting it out for the two centre back spots with Gomez/Toure providing cover and Lucus and even Can providing emergency cover. Skrtel, Ilori and Caulker can leave. I think we'll buy a goal keeper and a left back for the starting 11 but that's it in defence.
Pig Catcher
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red till i die!! » Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:46 pm

Its been over a year since a post was made in this thread and I think its safe to say that the elephant is still in the room!! We brought in reinforcements for the goalkeeper and CH positions but they have had about as much an impact as tit$ on a bull. This season is almost done and we look to be on course again to shift 50 which is the only consistency our defence seems capable of. Major changes are still needed.

Mingolet. Pulled a few stops out of the bag yesterday which kept us in it and enabled us to take the 3 points. His shot stopping isn't a problem and never was. Its the rest of his play that is lacking mostly due to his decision making. Thinking on his feet isn't his strong point at all and those errors he makes are still there so again this summer we need to either look at replacing him or getting someone in that will actually give him a run for his jersey.

Clyne. Nothing exceptional at all but not really a problem imo as he can defend if he is let at it. Going forward though he is frustrating to watch and can leave us exposed when he gets caught out. We have other options in the squad to play there so a bit of competition might just be what he needs. T-A-A is a good prospect to fill in if needed.

Matip. Hands down our best defender who has a good head and feet to match. Gets exposed on occasion but that isn't hard because mayhem ensues when we have to defend. I think he could do with being a bit more vocal and less trusting of the players around him. Hopefully he will turn into the marshal that we need at the back.

Lovren. Not a good player imo. Certainly not good enough to be a mainstay in a Liverpool team week in week out. He is so rash and unpredictable which leaves his positioning all over the shop. He doesn't seem to be marking anyone during set pieces, especially not any threats and he sells himself out by lunging forward into challenges that he shouldn't be. In the last few weeks he has been caught in no mans land watching the ball hit our net. Worrying imo if he is still a starter next season.

Klavan. Not for me and he has had a poor 1st season. Clearly not the one we needed to address the issues in defence. As back up he isn't the worst but probably plays too many games due to lovren and matip picking up a lot of injuries.

Moreno. Terrible player altogether and he is just not going to cut it in this league. Been practically frozen out this season and it will be a disgrace if he is still here after the summer.

Milner. Ok he has done a lot better at LB than I would have thought but surely we cannot be thinking he can play there again next season. He is a great pro who gives his all but age isn't on his side and his legs are not what they once were. The best thing for James imo would be him moving to the bench. He would still play a lot of games filling in for injuries and I think he would have a better impact that way. At city he wasn't a regular but was instrumental when coming from the bench and that is the james milner we need.

It has been well discussed recently about our need to build from the back and that should take major priority in the summer. It is our biggest weakness and where I would like to see the most changes made. If we only sign 2 top players this summer I would like to see them in this area. Teams will never lie down for us when they know they could overturn a 2 goal deficit in the space of 5 minutes so this has got to stop or we will just end up going through the same motions again next year.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby red till i die!! » Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:46 pm

Its been over a year since a post was made in this thread and I think its safe to say that the elephant is still in the room!! We brought in reinforcements for the goalkeeper and CH positions but they have had about as much an impact as tit$ on a bull. This season is almost done and we look to be on course again to shift 50 which is the only consistency our defence seems capable of. Major changes are still needed.

Mingolet. Pulled a few stops out of the bag yesterday which kept us in it and enabled us to take the 3 points. His shot stopping isn't a problem and never was. Its the rest of his play that is lacking mostly due to his decision making. Thinking on his feet isn't his strong point at all and those errors he makes are still there so again this summer we need to either look at replacing him or getting someone in that will actually give him a run for his jersey.

Clyne. Nothing exceptional at all but not really a problem imo as he can defend if he is let at it. Going forward though he is frustrating to watch and can leave us exposed when he gets caught out. We have other options in the squad to play there so a bit of competition might just be what he needs. T-A-A is a good prospect to fill in if needed.

Matip. Hands down our best defender who has a good head and feet to match. Gets exposed on occasion but that isn't hard because mayhem ensues when we have to defend. I think he could do with being a bit more vocal and less trusting of the players around him. Hopefully he will turn into the marshal that we need at the back.

Lovren. Not a good player imo. Certainly not good enough to be a mainstay in a Liverpool team week in week out. He is so rash and unpredictable which leaves his positioning all over the shop. He doesn't seem to be marking anyone during set pieces, especially not any threats and he sells himself out by lunging forward into challenges that he shouldn't be. In the last few weeks he has been caught in no mans land watching the ball hit our net. Worrying imo if he is still a starter next season.

Klavan. Not for me and he has had a poor 1st season. Clearly not the one we needed to address the issues in defence. As back up he isn't the worst but probably plays too many games due to lovren and matip picking up a lot of injuries.

Moreno. Terrible player altogether and he is just not going to cut it in this league. Been practically frozen out this season and it will be a disgrace if he is still here after the summer.

Milner. Ok he has done a lot better at LB than I would have thought but surely we cannot be thinking he can play there again next season. He is a great pro who gives his all but age isn't on his side and his legs are not what they once were. The best thing for James imo would be him moving to the bench. He would still play a lot of games filling in for injuries and I think he would have a better impact that way. At city he wasn't a regular but was instrumental when coming from the bench and that is the james milner we need.

It has been well discussed recently about our need to build from the back and that should take major priority in the summer. It is our biggest weakness and where I would like to see the most changes made. If we only sign 2 top players this summer I would like to see them in this area. Teams will never lie down for us when they know they could overturn a 2 goal deficit in the space of 5 minutes so this has got to stop or we will just end up going through the same motions again next year.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby 7_Kewell » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:54 pm

All starts in goal for me. Migs is a good premier league goal keeper, but not a top class top 4 goalie. Lovern isn't up to the job either, although he'd be ok as back-up.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby aCe' » Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:54 pm

The only CB we can realistically sign who would be an improvement on Lovren, Matip, Sakho would be Van Dijk. For me, Lovren and Matip are both top4 quality players and better than the likes of Stones, Mustafi, Rojo, Jones, etc. I'd even go as far as saying that if we had Boateng and Hummels, people would still be complaining about our CBs not being good enough.

Clyne and Milner are the weak links in our back4. Milner slows our play down when he gets possession in advanced positions and Clyne has no end product. Both somewhat offset they deficiencies going forward by being decent defensively.

Mignolet we can improve on and probably should.

A change in our system or a Matic type of player playing Henderson's role would do more for our defensive record than any CB signing would imo.
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun May 07, 2017 11:14 am

Just looked at the prem table's goals conceded column, Spurs have conceded 23, United 25, Chelsea 29 and us 42  :no
We can't keep shipping that amount of goals year on year and expect to be a successful side, we've actually done well to be involved in the race for the top 4 conceding that many.
Not many teams could concede 42 goals and still be right in the mix for a CL place.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby kazza » Sun May 07, 2017 7:03 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun May 07, 2017 10:14 am wrote:Just looked at the prem table's goals conceded column, Spurs have conceded 23, United 25, Chelsea 29 and us 42  :no
We can't keep shipping that amount of goals year on year and expect to be a successful side, we've actually done well to be involved in the race for the top 4 conceding that many.
Not many teams could concede 42 goals and still be right in the mix for a CL place.

I agree with this, what makes it worse is that this has been the case for the last 3 seasons or so so it is not a one off, this should have been addressed already and must be addressed this summer.

A world class CM, CB and goalie (or two out of three) would make a world of difference.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red till i die!! » Mon May 08, 2017 12:29 am

We definitely need a decent keeper that doesn't ooze panic and a like minded CH to start. Milner as Lb surely has to stop so we need one of those as well. If we can only sign 2 then its the CH and LB for me. I'd sooner see Firmino at LB next season than Milner.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion