Man City vs Liverpool- Sun 19th March: 16.30

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby Doeboy » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:08 am

Think everyone did quite well and put a shift in today. City are a good team and have apparently only lost at home to Chelsea this season, so was never going to be an easy trip. Yes, we could have won had we taken our chances but lets not forget we could quite easily have lost had City taken some of there own chances. Good point away and unbeaten in the last 3 give us bit of platform to build on going into some very winnable games after the horrendous start to 2017.
Doeboy

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:10 am

I thought Wjinaldum was brilliant yesterday, his strength on the ball when holding off players whilst he looks for the pass is really impressive, one of the best I've seen in a red shirt since Hamann in that respect. On Sunday the Etihad Stadium provided the stage for two of the most exciting and best passing teams in the league to produce a real showcase for attacking football , some of the football and passages of play from both teams was extraordinary. Our defence has been a lot more compact of late  and ( albeit from the Aguero goal when a lapse in concentration from firstly Milner in allowing the cross and Klavan failing to intercept seen us concede) I thought Matip was solid and Clyne had his best game of 2017.

Can was immense and run himself into the ground for the cause and he's stepped up to the plate  in Henderson's absence, so hopefully with Firmino now back in the team  we can start pressing and harrying our opponents into making mistakes and make a serious fist at cementing  a top four place.
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:01 am

Great game, it was like watching a cup final. Two teams bent on winning and it could have gone either way right up to the final whistle.

Matches like this reinforce the love for football .

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:07 am

Doeboy » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:08 am wrote:Think everyone did quite well and put a shift in today. City are a good team and have apparently only lost at home to Chelsea this season, so was never going to be an easy trip. Yes, we could have won had we taken our chances but lets not forget we could quite easily have lost had City taken some of there own chances. Good point away and unbeaten in the last 3 give us bit of platform to build on going into some very winnable games after the horrendous start to 2017.

Even that Chelsea game City should have won, City were one nil up and playing them off the park when a shocking miss by Kevin de Bruyne completely changed the whole momentum of the game. KdB's miss was as bad, if not worse, than Lallana's yesterday (he was a lot closer in than Lallana, in fact he was practically on the goal line).
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby devaney » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:50 am

What an advert for our game that was !! Full throttle turbocharged football. Could have gone eithe way. The result was about right. Everybody on the pitch worked their bolux off and there wasn't a bus in sight !! A few decent summer purchases could make this team very special. And I not talking about spending a fortune.

Was Henderson really missed? I would prefer Lallana as captain. Mentally he has got a lot more about him.
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby maguskwt » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:02 am

We were knackered around the 75 min mark though. That's why I posted it seemed like we are the ones that played midweek. Probably contributed to Lallana missing, he seemed really knackered at that point, probably couldnt focus. City finished the game with more energy than us. Goes back to our squad strength in depth. Origi for Couts was a backward move. Lucas for Firmino is also a backward move. We just dont have enough quality to bring on and add some energy in the dying minutes to attempt to win the game. Klopp needs to sort this out...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby devaney » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:52 pm

Got to say Mags when I saw Lucas coming on I was worried as he is prone to giving away free kicks in dangerous areas.
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby red till i die!! » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:01 pm

Usually a point in that fixture would be a good result but they were there for the taking. Thought we were fortunate to get that penalty to put us one up and we rode our luck a few times but we came through it and should have taken all 3 if Lallana put that sitter in.
It was a good game to watch and we didn't roll over but major improvements are still needed,

Thought Emre Can was MOTM myself. He covered a lot of ground and did what he had to effectively.  Firmino was poor again up front and I worry why Klopp keeps playing him there. He has got a fantastic touch about him but poor when it matters. Origi was a waste of a sub and even more of a waste deploying him right wing as he didn't even look interested in trying to get involved. Our best attacker was Mane but we need to learn how to use his pace like city do with sterling.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:40 pm

These international breaks are a right pain in the @rse.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby redshade » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:07 am

Yup they are i hate them. Its boring when there is no Lfc footy. Next season i really hope we get into Europe. I like watching us twice a week.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby algymoon » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:28 am

A game Liverpool should have won despite Man City had the better chances and failed to convert, but we lost two points because we have too many average players especially in defence and up front.. City goal could have easily prevented only the nutcase star CB Klavan failing to intercept while he was ahead of the striker! USELESS FLAT FOOT DEFENDER, whereas our best CB Sakho playing for Palace!!!! total madness...  Matip was solid BUT Clyne was Sh*t as always, so was the keeper.
Just let us see the nutcase new faces he ought to acquire for next season!, they will be worse than the existing crop of players!
algymoon

Postby Pig Catcher » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:56 am

A very entertaining game. City had the slight edge but I don't think either side could have complained if the other got all 3 points.

Thought everyone did a good job with Matip, Can, Wijnaldum and Firmino being the standouts. Coutinho is still lacking confidence but he was much better than last week.

Toure was just walking about in the second half and when they subbed him off they took control of the game for about 15 minutes. Clichy was starting to cause a lot of problems so it was nice to see Klopp react by bring on Origi down that side to apply some pressure.

Always disappointing to only get one point when you were ahead but overall it's a good result away to a very good side.
Pig Catcher
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - Games