Seasons since last title 90-Present

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby kazza » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:00 pm

red till i die!! » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:48 pm wrote:The decision to let Rafa go was made when Broughton and Co stepped in to manage the clubs affairs. At the time the general consensus was his wage was to high and it would hamper efforts to attract a buyer so they parted ways and got the Hodge till new owners could be found. If I remember rightly he also didn't take a payoff. He has won 5 trophies since then even though he had a few clubs. To go from all that to the championship just shows the mans loyalty and class imo.

:buttrock
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redshade » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:40 pm

Rafa was a class act for us. He would've stayed for the long haul.
Lets hope Klopp could give us a period of success like Rafa did.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby Thommo's perm » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:09 pm

I said it at the time and I'll say it again: Rafa had lost the plot with his constant arguing with the owners and his revolving door transfer policy. Rafa brought us some of the best nights in our history, but he also wanted to get rid of Alonso for gareth barry and left Crouch and Bellamy on the bench in the 2007 CL final which was much easier to win than the one in 2005.
The most telling part of that piece was:
"There can only be one conclusion: Liverpool have spent but they have not spent well under FSG and for that, the responsibility is layered between the owners themselves because they make the appointments and the people they have brought in or promoted: Damien Comolli, Kenny Dalglish, Brendan Rodgers, the old transfer committee members, Dave Fallows and Barry Hunter; Ayre, the former chief executive, Michael Edwards – and to a much lesser extent, the current manager."
Basically we have fu'cked up year on year culminating in the situation we find ourselves in presently. FSG have had long enough to move us forward and it doesnt look like they have either the will or the money to do it. I personally dont want saudi money, but the way we're going now convinces me we are still far away from returning to the top tier of european football
:(
Thommo's perm

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:13 am

kazza » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:00 pm wrote:
red till i die!! » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:48 pm wrote:The decision to let Rafa go was made when Broughton and Co stepped in to manage the clubs affairs. At the time the general consensus was his wage was to high and it would hamper efforts to attract a buyer so they parted ways and got the Hodge till new owners could be found. If I remember rightly he also didn't take a payoff. He has won 5 trophies since then even though he had a few clubs. To go from all that to the championship just shows the mans loyalty and class imo.

:buttrock  :buttrock
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Reg » Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:26 am

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:13 am wrote:
kazza » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:00 pm wrote:

:buttrock  :buttrock

:buttrock  :buttrock  :buttrock

He took a payoff but didn't he donate 50% to the Hillsborough Fund?
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kazza » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:04 am

Rafa was the catalyst for our previous owners losing the club, he gave us more than just trophies. At the time it felt him getting sacked was the final f.uck you to the fans from G&H. I'd like to know who actually sacked him.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby eds » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:40 am

The real elephant in the room should be that our results and performance on the field was by large much better under Hicks and Gillett than it has ever been under FSG and their moronic running of this club.

When comparing the two regimes together, frankly Henry, Werner and the rest of them should be f**king ashamed of themselves being outperformed by a pair of greedy swindlers who in the end were su*king this club dry. 

A combination of imcomptence and just not caring enough has led us into the dire predicament we face in trying to stay competitive :no
"LIVERPOOL: 6 European Cups, 19 Domestic Titles, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 9 League Cups and 4 European Super Cups and 1 Club World Championship

All other English clubs pale into insignificance!"
eds

Postby kazza » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:37 pm

eds » Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:40 am wrote:The real elephant in the room should be that our results and performance on the field was by large much better under Hicks and Gillett than it has ever been under FSG and their moronic running of this club.

When comparing the two regimes together, frankly Henry, Werner and the rest of them should be f**king ashamed of themselves being outperformed by a pair of greedy swindlers who in the end were su*king this club dry. 

A combination of imcomptence and just not caring enough has led us into the dire predicament we face in trying to stay competitive :no

One could argue that G&H exploited the team Moores built whereas our current owners were left with the G&H shambles. Surely the owners influence would only be felt three or four years after they take over.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:18 pm

Have to agree with you Kazza. But times were also different, we probably had a better structure as well before everything was turned upside down in the last 10 years.

The questions that need to be asked:
1. Have the owners supported the club, manager and fans as much as 7 and 12 years ago.
2. Is the club structure better than 5 and 10 years ago, are we more professional commercially sustainable.
3. Is the manager and back room better than 5 and 10 years ago?
4. Are we closing the gap with the top 4 both on the field and in terms of club structure.
5. Are we on course for the long term.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red till i die!! » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:48 pm

Reg wrote:
He took a payoff but didn't he donate 50% to the Hillsborough Fund?

Tried to find an article on how much he received as a payoff but its unclear what he got with some sources like the echo claiming his pay off would be 16mil in line with his contract. Others suggesting they parted by mutual consent and then some saying he got 3 mil. But yes he did make a contribution to the 96  :nod 96 thousand pounds I believe  :buttrock
Not all managers would want to get involved in something like that so it just proves what the club meant to him  :bowdown  His downfall was that he wanted the success we crave and fought with the owners for the funds to do it. Its probably just as well he went when he did as it would have never worked under FSG anyway.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby Reg » Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:55 pm

That's right Red:   http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liv ... fa-3403839

Mrs Aspinall said: “It shows where his heart is. He’s just a nice, genuine man."

I hope someone, some day will pay each of us that same complement, until then I doff my cap to Rafa. Top man.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:08 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion