How spoilt have we been for strikers in the Prem

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:15 pm

maguskwt » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:58 pm wrote:
I think that Klopp would welcome with open arms a player like Suarez. He would be a perfect fit for Klopp's system. But nowadays, the way we're conducting our transfers, if we land a player of Suarez' talent level, it'll be like striking lottery, or being hit by lightning. I don't think we will ever see us buy an out-and-out striker like Torres. These modern german coaches (I'm including Joachim Lowe here) seem to be obsessed with playing false 9's. Thomal Mueller was the False 9 in the german team and we have Firmino...

So how do you explain how fruitful a striker for Dortmund  Lewandowski became after taking into account he played in a similar system under Klopp, or again for the sake of argument would you say given Mane's ability it would be more efficacious to deploy him as an out and out striker and bin setting up with a false 9  would that  be less productive or more  ?

I guess what I'm saying is  when we play with our first choice  players then that front triumvirate can be ridiculously good and few teams can live with the speed and intelligence of our movement and using an out and out striker wouldn't make our attacking any more effective.
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maguskwt » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:51 am

RED BEERGOGGLES » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:15 pm wrote:
maguskwt » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:58 pm wrote:
I think that Klopp would welcome with open arms a player like Suarez. He would be a perfect fit for Klopp's system. But nowadays, the way we're conducting our transfers, if we land a player of Suarez' talent level, it'll be like striking lottery, or being hit by lightning. I don't think we will ever see us buy an out-and-out striker like Torres. These modern german coaches (I'm including Joachim Lowe here) seem to be obsessed with playing false 9's. Thomal Mueller was the False 9 in the german team and we have Firmino...

So how do you explain how fruitful a striker for Dortmund  Lewandowski became after taking into account he played in a similar system under Klopp, or again for the sake of argument would you say given Mane's ability it would be more efficacious to deploy him as an out and out striker and bin setting up with a false 9  would that  be less productive or more  ?

I guess what I'm saying is  when we play with our first choice  players then that front triumvirate can be ridiculously good and few teams can live with the speed and intelligence of our movement and using an out and out striker wouldn't make our attacking any more effective.

That's a good point about Lewandowski. He was the fulcrum of Dortmund's attack. Maybe that's why Dortmund was more successful than we are now. Maybe that kind of player is exactly what we need. I consider him a proper out-and-out striker. If I were you, I wouldn't be so cocky about our current front triumvirate. They have been so blunt in attack after teams have found out how to nullify Klopp's tactics. They have only played well for the win against Spurs. It remains to be seen how our attack will fare from here on out. Good out and out strikers like Ibra could make things happen when nothing else is working. Just by his presence alone up front, the other team's defense is put under pressure. We don't have that. In alot of the games, we have Coutinho dribbling left and right and not being having anyone running in space to pass to. He would then attempt his long range shot which probably goes in 1 out of 30-40 attempts. We have Firmino flicking and turning without getting anywhere when met with the concrete wall of a defense. We have alot of players passing around the opponents penalty box without knowing what to do, and attempting to penetrate through the middle time after time just to meet abject failure. After that it is Henderson trying to immitate Gerrard with long range efforts that always goes to row z. It's not just our attack though, our midfield lacks so much creativity. Maybe it is Klopp's tactics. We keep pushing forward into opponents' packed defence, the space becomes so congested. Our midfield doesn't have the ability nor the talent to hold the ball, and pass around in the middle to create some space and release the pressure up front, and initiate a sudden attack that skillful players like coutinho and firmino could make use of.
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:00 pm

maguskwt » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:51 am wrote:

That's a good point about Lewandowski. He was the fulcrum of Dortmund's attack. Maybe that's why Dortmund was more successful than we are now. Maybe that kind of player is exactly what we need. I consider him a proper out-and-out striker. If I were you, I wouldn't be so cocky about our current front triumvirate. They have been so blunt in attack after teams have found out how to nullify Klopp's tactics. They have only played well for the win against Spurs. It remains to be seen how our attack will fare from here on out. Good out and out strikers like Ibra could make things happen when nothing else is working. Just by his presence alone up front, the other team's defense is put under pressure. We don't have that. In alot of the games, we have Coutinho dribbling left and right and not being having anyone running in space to pass to. He would then attempt his long range shot which probably goes in 1 out of 30-40 attempts. We have Firmino flicking and turning without getting anywhere when met with the concrete wall of a defense. We have alot of players passing around the opponents penalty box without knowing what to do, and attempting to penetrate through the middle time after time just to meet abject failure. After that it is Henderson trying to immitate Gerrard with long range efforts that always goes to row z. It's not just our attack though, our midfield lacks so much creativity. Maybe it is Klopp's tactics. We keep pushing forward into opponents' packed defence, the space becomes so congested. Our midfield doesn't have the ability nor the talent to hold the ball, and pass around in the middle to create some space and release the pressure up front, and initiate a sudden attack that skillful players like coutinho and firmino could make use of.

Like I've said before Mags nobody sussed Klopps tactics, the players just stopped working with the same intensity of last year, lets see how that same triumvirate works  in the next few months now that Mane is back. As for our midfield I think you have to give credit to Henderson and Wjinaldum for dominating the middle against a very good Spurs midfield to the extent they stifled and practically snuffed out any spark of an attack. I also think that the predominant fork of our attack was dulled because we started passing the ball out wide and not working to our strengths which is quick football right through the middle , I believe the crux of our problem was we weren't direct enough and the zest that usually accompanied a winning performance was replaced by laboured football when the ball somewhat predictably ended up at the feet of either Clyne or Milner to cross.

Anyway lets see what the rest of 2017 brings, no excuses now what with our  potent three back in place, so if we revert back to the tepid stuff we played in January then the criticism of Klopp and the team will be validated, until then we see what unfolds.
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby leeroy74 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:57 pm

yeah lets give it another 6 months then if it doesn't change or improve there's only one thing for it...    another 6 months. repeat and rinse.
leeroy74
LFC Super Member

Postby only me » Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:00 pm

leeroy74 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:57 pm wrote:yeah lets give it another 6 months then if it doesn't change or improve there's only one thing for it...    another 6 months. repeat and rinse.

Yes let's fire one of the top 5 managers in world and bring BR back...Or even better Fat Sam...He got things wrong this year no doubt but your stand is beyond pathetic..
only me
LFC Super Member

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:55 am

leeroy74 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:57 pm wrote:yeah lets give it another 6 months then if it doesn't change or improve there's only one thing for it...    another 6 months. repeat and rinse.

Wherever you are Lee, could you wrestle back your laptop from Algymoon ?  I wouldn't usually be so impertinent only he's apparently been putting his shitty digits all over your keyboard like you've gifted him a f*cking house key.

I'm sure I don't have to tell you that when following this team its important to retain a sense of humour and it seems a shame that the poster that started such funny match threads which made us all chuckle has all but vanished quicker than white dog Sh*t  :D
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion