Liverpool team 5th May 2013 against Everton

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Reg » Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:37 am

We're currently on a high under Klopp having beaten Arsenal, Chelsea and Leicester etc..

So clearly there must be big changes in the team from Rodgers rabble from 2013?  Not so.

Reina, Enrique, Johnson, Agger, Carragher, Lucas, Gerrard, Downing, Henderson, Coutinho, Sturridge.

Bit of a surprise eh... basically only Downing stands out in that team as not belonging.

So what's changed??  :lookaround
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kazza » Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:01 am

When Spurs sold Bale everyone said they waisted the money, 2 seasons later many of those players came good. When we sold Suarez everyone said that we would do a Spurs and waste the money ( their players had not come good at that point) but now looking at it, the players we bought on the whole have made us better. With everyone complaining  about moneyball this and that, it shows that patience is needed before making snap judgements. I think Rodgers type players were able to evolve into Klopp type players as they both like technical players with lots of energy and we are seeing the fruits of that. We found the perfect manager to compliment what Rodgers left and the players seem to be responding.

When we were scoring 4 and 5 in Rodgers' best year it was really down to Suarez and it always seemed like a mirage, now we score 4 and 5 and it seems much more real with domination across the field. We have a much better team ethic with goals being scored by multiple players. As a team we are far better than we were and we are not reliant on one or two players. Best part is our team is young and will only improve assuming we can keep them together. We still need to work on that defence but we are close to something special.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:10 pm

Klopp has changed our mentality. He's changed the way the players think and approach their football and, after almost a year, it's starting to show on the pitch.

For sure, there were glimpses of it last season, but the smaller squad and new signings appear to have pushed his playing ethos through with more purpose.

I actually find it refreshing to have a manager who is ruthless with the axe. Others might have given the likes of Balotelli, Markovic, Bentekke and skrtel another season. However, Klopp has seen that they're not up to the job. So, in the bin they go.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby devaney » Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:11 pm

Mentality, work rate and belief Reg,mentality, work rate and belief  !! They are the main things that have changed in my opinion. Klopp clearly doesn't suffer misfits, prima donnas or fools. Balotelli, Sterling and  Benteke certainly fall into those categories.

I've gone on for years that it is not always simply about spending huge sums in the transfer market. It is more about being transfer market smart. Matip, Grujic and Karius may prove to be good examples. Milner has already shown that he is a seriously good addition to the team. Klopp's net spend since he joined the club amounts to -£4m. During the last four transfer windows City have spent £240m, United have spent £170m and Chelsea have spent £120m.

It was always going to take time to overcome the loss of Gerrard and Carragher as leaders. Henderson is beginning to prove people (me included) wrong. He is earning the respect of the players and beginning to make a serious contribution as a captain. Long may it continue. When the lad is on form he is immense. Milner's leadership qualities shouldn't be ignored either.
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby aCe' » Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:24 pm

Too early for this
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:19 pm

Of course it's not. We're playing successful footy and this is a forum for discussion!
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby devaney » Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:37 pm

Ace - Too early for what? Are you suggesting that it is too early to assess what has been achieved by JK ?
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby 7_Kewell » Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:02 pm

Interesting stat....

After 8 games last season Liverpool had scored just 6 goals. It's now 24 after six... :oops:
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redshade » Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:39 pm

Long may it continue. If we can keep it strong and formidable at the back we will be solid this season.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:32 pm

Reg » Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:37 am wrote:We're currently on a high under Klopp having beaten Arsenal, Chelsea and Leicester etc..

So clearly there must be big changes in the team from Rodgers rabble from 2013?  Not so.

Reina, Enrique, Johnson, Agger, Carragher, Lucas, Gerrard, Downing, Henderson, Coutinho, Sturridge.

Bit of a surprise eh... basically only Downing stands out in that team as not belonging.

So what's changed??  :lookaround

That team looks decent on paper but half of them were past their best (i.e Carragher was 35 and Gerrard was 33) and although Reina was only 31 mistakes had crept into his game, as for the likes of Hendo and Coutinho they were only 21.
In a similar vein you could look at the names in Chelsea's current back 4 (Terry, Ivanovic etc) and reasonably assume that defensively Chelsea would be rock solid but as recent results have shown a few of them are quite clearly on the slide.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Likehemlo » Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:00 pm

I have the same question.
Likehemlo
LFC newBie

Postby Likehemlo » Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:01 pm

I have the same question.
Likehemlo
LFC newBie

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion