Burnley V Liverpool - EPL - Saturday 20th August 3pm

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:23 am

Teams are using our own tactic (counter pressing) against us to good effect, Arsenal did it in the first half last week and Burnley did it as well yesterday (certainly for the first goal anyway). They know that our back 4, keeper and DM aren't great on the ball and a lot of our passes go sideways and backwards so it is safe to get in our faces, they know that no one is going thread an Alonso-esque through ball through their press and leave 5 or 6 of their players stranded the wrong side of the ball.
Henderson will show for the ball but just give it straight back to the player who gave it to him, Clyne is a good full back but the one glaring weakness in his game is that he panics when closed down, Mingolet can't kick a ball, Moreno continually takes risks and Lovren in his own mind thinks he's a great distributor but most of his long passes don't land within 30 feet of another Liverpool player.
As I said yesterday in 78-79 the likes of Alan Hansen, Phil Thompson, Phil Neal, Alan Kennedy and Ray Clemence conceded just 16 goals in an entire 42 game season, granted they had a 25 year old Graeme Souness protecting them but it just goes to show the stark contrast between those players and this modern crowd who conceded 5 goals in just one and a half games.
The fact that those 70's lads were paid hundreds of pounds whilst this mob are paid hundreds of thousands is as laughable as our defending.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby damjan193 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:19 am

Glad I missed this one.

So it stands as we all feared; good against teams that open up but bad against teams that have 11 men behind the ball. This has been a problem for us for years and it still hasn't been properly addressed.

Ridiculous really, we had 3 or 4 critical positions that needed reinforcing and it looks like none of them were properly attended to. We still have no proper midfield (Wijnaldum might be an OK player but not what we needed), we haven't even singed a new left back and jury still out on our new CB signings. The fact that Henderson is intended to be our main man in midfield says a lot to be honest. Sadly it says a lot about Klopp as well. We had an entire summer and it looks as if we've changed nothing.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby Doeboy » Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:31 am

Totally agree about Wijnaldum. He will get his fair share of goals for us but he isnt the midfielder we needed imo.
Doeboy

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:02 pm

Mane won't help us against teams that get XI men behind the ball either, players with pace need space to run into.
Rodgers was thinking along the right lines when he bought Benteke but what we needed was a cheap bit part player who carries an ariel threat not a £32m player.
Personally I'd go for that Matt Smith from Fulham, he'd cost buttons, he'd be prepared to sit on the bench for long periods and he's as good if not better than Andy Carroll in the air. If teams are sitting deep and we are struggling to break them down then just throw him on for the last half an hour and chuck balls into the box and see what happens.
He's already shown he can do it against prem sides when he scored against us and Everton for Oldham in the cup a couple of seasons ago, in fact he pretty much finished Seb Coates Liverpool career and left Martin Skrtel's career here hanging by a thread also.
We need a plan B because teams are starting to work us out, if they sit deep in numbers we haven't really got an answer other than speculative long range shots.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby redshade » Sun Aug 21, 2016 5:50 pm

Imo mate i feel mane could make a difference vs park the bus teams. He usually bombards on the wing thus stretches the oppo team and creates chances. I guess its won't be easy when there too many many at the back but would make a difference if we have the same capability on both wings.
I guess next time when we face a similar team and mane is playing we will find out.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby Klopptomaniac » Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:53 am

Typical of Liverpool really. Beat Arsenal the next and score brilliant goals, look ordinary and clueless the next game. Klopp is putting too much trust in players who simply aren't good enough
Klopptomaniac
LFC Advanced Member

Postby algymoon » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:46 am

This newly named nutcase Klopp is in state of shock after thinking he would take the league by storm!, Wild Dream. Over the coming few hard games LFC will remain with 3 point and will be at the bottom of the league!
This club is cursed as we keep bring in useless managers a lot of average expensive players!, The pre-season games was a true refraction on how the season will go!.
We ought to expect a very hard time and bad season, which it might be even worse than last season. Nutcase Klopp has lost the plot so early this season.
algymoon

Postby johnbarnes » Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:12 pm

Klopptomaniac » Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:53 am wrote:Typical of Liverpool really. Beat Arsenal the next and score brilliant goals, look ordinary and clueless the next game. Klopp is putting too much trust in players who simply aren't good enough

Klopp is putting in too much trust in players who simply don't care.
johnbarnes
LFC Super Member

Postby leeroy74 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:46 pm

He's  not as good as he thinks he is.  He's good at making people think he's amazing,  did alright at his old club but at the moment is doing nothing to convince anyone he's any better than big Sam.  Don't get drawn in to his own hype.  Rodgers thought he was the dobermans danglers but got found out,  klopp is no different, only he's actually won something in the past.  However 2 cup finals and no trophies to show?  Not addressing the main problems with the team?  Two transfer windows and so far we've played 2 and lost 1 In what some dubbed our season? 

Not doing it for me.
leeroy74
LFC Super Member

Postby bunglemark2 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:10 pm

When Chelsea parked the bus a couple of seasons ago we had no plan b then either. Et plus ça change...
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby only me » Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:25 am

leeroy74 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:46 pm wrote:He's  not as good as he thinks he is.  He's good at making people think he's amazing,  did alright at his old club but at the moment is doing nothing to convince anyone he's any better than big Sam.  Don't get drawn in to his own hype.  Rodgers thought he was the dobermans danglers but got found out,  klopp is no different, only he's actually won something in the past.  However 2 cup finals and no trophies to show?  Not addressing the main problems with the team?  Two transfer windows and so far we've played 2 and lost 1 In what some dubbed our season? 

Not doing it for me.

So you consider bringing LFC to the Europa league finals on his first year a big disappointment? Is their another word other then ape crazy to describe your judgment call?
You are comparing Winner of the Bundesliga ,a CL regular ,creator of one of the exciting teams in Europe (Dortmund) to Big Sam???
Ok....Lad hope it came with a shiite load of Pints...
only me
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:46 am

Because we lost the final people are forgetting how well we did in last year's EL, we knocked out both the tournament favourites in United and Dortmund and beat a good top 4 Spanish team in the semi's as well.
If it wasn't for the Sakho thing deflating the club I think we would have won the final as well.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby 7_Kewell » Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:52 pm

Some truly shocking comments on this thread. Looks like some have written off our manager and want him out after just 2 matches.  :no

Embarrassing
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - Games