Liverpool v Roma - Friendly 1:30am Tuesday 2nd August

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby killerp » Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:19 am

LIVERPOOL TEAM NEWS

Team to play Roma: Manninger, Clyne, Lovren, Klavan, Milner, Can, Wijnaldum, Ojo, Mane, Firmino, Sturridge

Subs: Mignolet, Benteke, Coutinho, Henderson, Moreno, Lallana, Brannagan, Ings, Stewart, Wisdom, Markovic, Randall, Alexander-Arnold, George
killerp

Postby killerp » Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:31 am

Is no lfc supporter awake in the southern hemisphere?
killerp

Postby ethanr » Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:40 am

This is almost what I'd expect our starting lineup to be. Switch Ojo for Coutinho, and we're pretty much there. I like Milner in this LB role. We seem more stable back there in that way.

Lovren is looking a bit suspect- maybe when Matip is back we'll see him in instead. I actually expect Klavan to get more playing time than a lot of us expected. If Lovren and Sakho can play as well as we've seen them, we'll be in great shape at CB this year. Maybe with the option of flexing one out to LB if we don't sign one.
DESPITE THE FACT I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA...
ethanr

Postby killerp » Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:41 am

"GOAL! LIVERPOOL 1-1 ROMA (Ojo 45)

Milner's corner from the left is deep towards Lovren at the far post. He heads it across goal superbly, and Ojo is there to head into the empty net!

There's a hint of offside, and the replays show it's extremely tight, but Liverpool are level on the stroke of half-time!"

Keep the lad in the squad!
killerp

Postby killerp » Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:42 am

If you wish to follow and happen to be at work like me, live text...

http://www.skysports.com/football/liver ... ive/360217
killerp

Postby killerp » Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:14 am

ethanr » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:40 am wrote:This is almost what I'd expect our starting lineup to be. Switch Ojo for Coutinho, and we're pretty much there. I like Milner in this LB role. We seem more stable back there in that way.

Lovren is looking a bit suspect- maybe when Matip is back we'll see him in instead. I actually expect Klavan to get more playing time than a lot of us expected. If Lovren and Sakho can play as well as we've seen them, we'll be in great shape at CB this year. Maybe with the option of flexing one out to LB if we don't sign one.

I'm hoping Klavan will be a monster at the back and forms a good partnership with Matip.
killerp

Postby C-R » Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:28 am

Another shocker from Mignolet, still doesn't seem to be able to control his box properly, Moreno injured ?? Surely we must dip into the market now for another left back

I know I complain about ref's a lot, but in pre season we have had 3 perfectly good goals disallowed, last night the referee ruled out Roma's goal and then decides to give it, just wondering when we start getting the rub of the green

Bring on Barce !
C-R
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby parchpea » Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:57 pm

We will pay the price for not replacing repetitive failure at the back. Just hoping people will turn a corner after plenty of game time and experience is not good enough.

Sounds like Dzeko had a good game, there's a high end player we could use, class act.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:02 pm

Haven't seen all of the game but from what I saw we looked a bit too open for my liking, you could have driven a bus through our midfield at times. We did look quite bright ourselves going forward in the first half but as I said defensively we were awful.
Granted Mingolet didn't cover himself in glory for their second but to be fair to him he had just saved a point blank header and was probably still trying to find his bearings.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby only me » Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:15 am

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:02 pm wrote:Haven't seen all of the game but from what I saw we looked a bit too open for my liking, you could have driven a bus through our midfield at times. We did look quite bright ourselves going forward in the first half but as I said defensively we were awful.
Granted Mingolet didn't cover himself in glory for their second but to be fair to him he had just saved a point blank header and was probably still trying to find his bearings.

It was all Mignolet mate ,he continues to reek of insecurity and just unable to impose his will in the box ,he was looking at Wisdom to handle the ball ,why the fck would you look to you CB which is a feet away from you when you are the GK???!! The instincts of a great goalie  is plunging at the ball not looking like a frightened deer.....
only me
LFC Super Member

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Wed Aug 03, 2016 6:49 am

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:02 pm wrote:Haven't seen all of the game but from what I saw we looked a bit too open for my liking, you could have driven a bus through our midfield at times. We did look quite bright ourselves going forward in the first half but as I said defensively we were awful.

Agreed ,and that's why letting Lucas go before Can and Grujic can learn from a bonafide DM is madness !
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby damjan193 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:55 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:02 pm wrote:Haven't seen all of the game but from what I saw we looked a bit too open for my liking, you could have driven a bus through our midfield at times. We did look quite bright ourselves going forward in the first half but as I said defensively we were awful.

Everyone's concerned about the LB position but the midfield issue is what's going to destroy us if we don't address it. Not only are we not working on closing those holes in midfield that we've been having in the past few seasons, they look more like craters now rather than holes, you could fly a space shuttle through that midfield of ours never mind a bus.

I honestly expected us to take the midfield issue a lot more seriously than we've had.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby parchpea » Wed Aug 03, 2016 6:46 pm

A top class defensive midfield player can cover a lot of holes, stop balls going wide, patrol across the whole back four like a subbuteo keeper on a stick.

It is absolutely beyond comprehension we havent filled it with quality, Can and Grujic are maybes, good young players.

Put the money down and put it there.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:47 pm

damjan193 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:55 pm wrote:
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:02 pm wrote:Haven't seen all of the game but from what I saw we looked a bit too open for my liking, you could have driven a bus through our midfield at times. We did look quite bright ourselves going forward in the first half but as I said defensively we were awful.

Everyone's concerned about the LB position but the midfield issue is what's going to destroy us if we don't address it. Not only are we not working on closing those holes in midfield that we've been having in the past few seasons, they look more like craters now rather than holes, you could fly a space shuttle through that midfield of ours never mind a bus.

I honestly expected us to take the midfield issue a lot more seriously than we've had.

Exactly mate, that's why I think we should throw Lucas in there as an emergency measure, we have got enough attacking talent on our books now to be able to afford to carry one old head who knows how to read a game.
When January comes around though (or at the latest next summer) our number one priority should be to buy a top class DM.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Return to Liverpool FC - Games