Rumour of the day - For the miserable tw@ts amongst you

Liverpool Football Club - The Rumour Mill

Postby damjan193 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:18 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:20 pm wrote:
damjan193 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:33 pm wrote:I'm sorry but getting rid of Toure and Lucas and replacing them with Klavan and Wijnaldum is not good business in my book. I just can't see the logic in moving on long serving players and replacing them with someone who can only be as good, at best.

Toure would be 36 this season mate, that's getting on even for a CB.

I just don't like getting rid of long serving players and replacing them with new ones who aren't even a lot better. When moving players on, you have to bringing in new faces who don't know how the team or even the league works. You always pay that penalty with new players, no matter how good they are. But when those new players aren't a lot better than the players you just sold, then your logic is very flawed.

For example, I like Lucas, but I wouldn't mind moving him on if singing a better player was on the cards. However, if we replace him with Wijnaldum or Klavan, OK players but not a lot better, then I can't make any sense of our business.

I trust Klopp to do whatever it takes, but so far I don't like it TBH. I'm no football genius though, just a your standard fickle fan. I'll start liking it as soon as it all stars to work :D
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby Redtribe » Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:37 pm

I understand the point, but it might just be as simple as Lucas does not fit into Klopps system.
Maybe he wants faster players with more of an eye for goal and Lucas does not fit the bill, it certainly seems that he is trying to get quicker players on-board.
Redtribe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:26 am

damjan193 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:18 pm wrote:
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:20 pm wrote:
damjan193 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:33 pm wrote:I'm sorry but getting rid of Toure and Lucas and replacing them with Klavan and Wijnaldum is not good business in my book. I just can't see the logic in moving on long serving players and replacing them with someone who can only be as good, at best.

Toure would be 36 this season mate, that's getting on even for a CB.

I just don't like getting rid of long serving players and replacing them with new ones who aren't even a lot better. When moving players on, you have to bringing in new faces who don't know how the team or even the league works. You always pay that penalty with new players, no matter how good they are. But when those new players aren't a lot better than the players you just sold, then your logic is very flawed.

For example, I like Lucas, but I wouldn't mind moving him on if singing a better player was on the cards. However, if we replace him with Wijnaldum or Klavan, OK players but not a lot better, then I can't make any sense of our business.

I trust Klopp to do whatever it takes, but so far I don't like it TBH. I'm no football genius though, just a your standard fickle fan. I'll start liking it as soon as it all stars to work :D

Yeah I wouldn't like to see Lucas go myself mate but it may be a case of Lucas himself wanting to leave to get regular football, In fact if I'm not mistaken he made one or two comments along those very lines a while back.
He turns 30 in January and he has spent a lot of his career on the sidelines either through injury or not being picked and I for one wouldn't begrudge the fella a move to a club where he is going to be one of the first names on the team sheet.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby parchpea » Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:14 am

Lucas has survived by luck most if the time infact hes possibly the most fortunate footballer weve ever had.

Been on the brink of departure of a number of occasions then he either gets a long term injury or someone else does and he survives the execution.

Last year he saw the defence crumble and was able to slot in there giving him the chance to impress Klopp with his flexibility.

Hes a survivor but I think his time here should have been over long ago.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby aCe' » Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:08 pm

Lucas staying or leaving wont make a big difference if we're honest. I'd rather relegate Henderson and Milner to the bench and look to add another CM to Can & Wijnaldum (we'll probably play him as a CM despite it not being his best position).

We need to sign better players than Mane & Wijnaldum if we're looking to make top4 next season. The sides around us are capitalizing on the extra money in the league and signing some of the best talent in Europe which is making it all the more important we get our signings right. Our signings so far could have been made by Everton or West Ham and no one would have been surprised by the players choosing the destinations.

Klopp was recently quoted saying "Look for players you can have, and make the best of it". "If we go for players and there is obviously no chance, there is no point".  I am not sure if that's a reflection of the reality of things or his perception of the size and attraction of the club but either way it doesn't sit well with me. Surely better talent like Turan, Nainggolan, Hector, etc. would come if we splash the cash instead of saving a few mill here and there and then overspend on bigger gambles from Southampton and Newcastle.
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby sgs » Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:24 pm

Watching Chilwell again; this time vs Celtic

Think we should pay the 10m; he is worth it as a long term investment...
Floyd stepped left and threw the hook that caught Hatton flush under the chin. Finally, the British champ had arrived in that mythical place of which his fans speak: Hatton Wonderland.
sgs

Postby sgs » Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:34 pm

aCe' » Sat Jul 23, 2016 1:08 pm wrote:Lucas staying or leaving wont make a big difference if we're honest. I'd rather relegate Henderson and Milner to the bench and look to add another CM to Can & Wijnaldum (we'll probably play him as a CM despite it not being his best position).

We need to sign better players than Mane & Wijnaldum if we're looking to make top4 next season. The sides around us are capitalizing on the extra money in the league and signing some of the best talent in Europe which is making it all the more important we get our signings right. Our signings so far could have been made by Everton or West Ham and no one would have been surprised by the players choosing the destinations.

Klopp was recently quoted saying "Look for players you can have, and make the best of it". "If we go for players and there is obviously no chance, there is no point".  I am not sure if that's a reflection of the reality of things or his perception of the size and attraction of the club but either way it doesn't sit well with me. Surely better talent like Turan, Nainggolan, Hector, etc. would come if we splash the cash instead of saving a few mill here and there and then overspend on bigger gambles from Southampton and Newcastle.

People have to realize that its not necessarily about signing big name players. Its ultimately about how it all comes together as a team. For me, analyzing the quality of the players we have signed vis a vis Klopp's approach to the game, I'm quite optimistic that we will mount a credible challenge, esp if we are fortunate with injuries...

I like Hector, but the gap between him and Moreno is such that it makes perfect sense to retain confidence in the young spaniard, and look for a player at the level of a Ben Chilwell.

Having said these, its my hope that we sign a player like Dahoud...
Floyd stepped left and threw the hook that caught Hatton flush under the chin. Finally, the British champ had arrived in that mythical place of which his fans speak: Hatton Wonderland.
sgs

Postby UvS xR4GEx » Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:01 pm

We've been linked today with Ivan Rakitic, what a signing that would be.. A player that can dictate the tempo of a game. Barcelona have signed that Vietto kid so it looks like he wants to go.
UvS xR4GEx
LFC Guru Member

Postby sgs » Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:58 pm

Bro, Vietto is a forward brought in to understudy the MSN...
sgs

Postby aCe' » Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:35 pm

UvS xR4GEx » Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:01 pm wrote:We've been linked today with Ivan Rakitic, what a signing that would be.. A player that can dictate the tempo of a game. Barcelona have signed that Vietto kid so it looks like he wants to go.

They brought Denis Suarez back and then went on to pay something like 50mill for Andre Gomes who is also a Midfielder. If Rakitic leaves, he'll end up at one of the big boys competing for the CL or an Arsenal/Chelsea at worst. A more realistic target for us would probably be Arda Turan who went from being a 40 mill Euro buy (with 1 year left on his contract, with him announcing he'd be leaving on a bosman end of the season) to 6th or 7th choice at Barcelona real quick.
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby C-R » Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:16 pm

Liverpool have had a bid accepted for Brad Smith from Bournemouth. Around £6m.  (SkySports)

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/ ... ky-sources
C-R
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby C-R » Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:41 pm

Echo all over the Brad Smith deal now too http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/fo ... d-11656042
C-R
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:18 pm

£6m is decent money for Smith, we have a buy back option on him too so we can't really lose out tbh.
Good luck to the lad.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby 7_Kewell » Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:52 pm

We're Bournemouth's feeder club  :D
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redshade » Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:34 am

£6 mill is good money for sure. Brad does seem to have potential though.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

PreviousNext

Return to The Rumour Mill