ROBERTO FIRMINO - Official Thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby johnbarnes » Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:54 pm

RED BEERGOGGLES » Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:50 pm wrote:Unfortunately for us ,after this season is done and dusted ,Firmino will be seen as a 'must have' for the likes of Barcelona and Madrid ...The simple truth is unless we surround him with World Class players he will always look too good for us to hold onto. I honestly believe he will be one of the most coveted footballers in world football soon ,he just oozes class.

God I've just depressed myself  :(

Don't worry BeerGoggles, Klopp will have him playing in a proper team soon.  :buttrock
johnbarnes
LFC Super Member

Postby the return of HAS » Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:25 pm

maguskwt » Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:05 pm wrote:As I've said mate, Charlie Austin scored 18 goals for QPR last season. Do we want to sign Charlie Austin as our main striker if we want to be top 4? No.
Sad to day Firmino's performances are meaningless if we're not winning games.

Sounds like you're not watching the games and simply looking at the final score. Goals aside, of late Firmino has been our most influential player going forward. He is leading the press, creating space, linking play, etc. Even a couple of months ago people around the ground were saying it's a matter of time before he starts putting in good performances. You could see the mentality and the ability was there it was just the pace of the game was catching him out both from a fitness point of view and the need to do things quickly. I think he solves one of the 4 attacking positions.
"We’ve got a lot of Cockneys in the team, but really, it doesn’t matter where they’re from – we’re all playing for Liverpool.” Robbie Fowler
the return of HAS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maguskwt » Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:42 pm

the return of HAS » Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:25 pm wrote:
maguskwt » Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:05 pm wrote:As I've said mate, Charlie Austin scored 18 goals for QPR last season. Do we want to sign Charlie Austin as our main striker if we want to be top 4? No.
Sad to day Firmino's performances are meaningless if we're not winning games.

Sounds like you're not watching the games and simply looking at the final score. Goals aside, of late Firmino has been our most influential player going forward. He is leading the press, creating space, linking play, etc. Even a couple of months ago people around the ground were saying it's a matter of time before he starts putting in good performances. You could see the mentality and the ability was there it was just the pace of the game was catching him out both from a fitness point of view and the need to do things quickly. I think he solves one of the 4 attacking positions.

Let's see mate. At this point in time I don't think anyone can convince me how great a talent Firmino is. I know that he's a GOOD footballer. But I don't think he is anywhere the level of Sturridge and Coutinho. that makes him very far from the levels of our consistent strikers like Owen, Torres, etc. He comes in and, because we got no strikers, played up front and (credit to him) scored some goals. As I've said Charlie Austin scored 18. Somebody has to score and he's doing it. But could he do it to raise the overall level of the team? I'm not sure yet. Remember Dirk Kuyt (and I'm a fan of Dirky) contributed with quite a number of goals playing out wide. And that to me is more valuable. Firmino is still light weight, over complicates things and loses the ball too often. His tricks don't come off well. His goals are put on a platter by other players or the ball fell to him nicely.
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:05 pm

Dirk, Craig Bellamy... I'd take them back in a flash, what a work rate, strong lads, not shy, unlike today's lightweights. Even Yossa Benayoooon.  :laugh:
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby aCe' » Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:51 am

I'm not convinced Firmino is anywhere near as good as some make him out to be. Forget lightweight, he has been far too inconsistent to warrant the level of praise he gets from our own fans to be honest. It's still his first year at the club and in the league so he'll obviously get the benefit of the doubt for now but he'll need to start producing more than his current 3-4 highlights every few games to warrant that price tag.
That said, I think he'll do better with Coutinho and Sturridge in the side occupying the attention of opposition defenses. He gives the ball away at a criminal rate and to a large extent that has to do with the lack of other danger men around him in the side. Let's see how he finishes the season.
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:02 pm

I don't question his ability but do wonder just how much "bottle" the fella has.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby parchpea » Sat Feb 13, 2016 4:51 pm

Fans are desperate to hang on to something and Firmino is it.

Done some good things but overall has been ordinary and its consistent quality we need from him and the team in general.

Still a very strange purchase to me given squad is over loaded with similair footballers.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby redshade » Sat Feb 13, 2016 7:32 pm

Well another positive is his fitness. His adopted well to JK training routine and stay as fit as a fiddle. Hope i aint cursed his luck lol.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:09 pm

It is plausible to assume some Liverpool fans can still recognise a player with all the qualities to be something very special ,or is that vision no longer within our scope  ??? It seems evident to me ,that Firmino has started to find his feet rather quickly ,especially when you factor in his first introduction to English football was under a dissenter who just didn't fancy playing the Brazilian ,not because of a lack of ability ,but simply any player capable of becoming one of the  Kops favourite sons ie Markovic ,or any player the Kop were clamouring to see play ie Ilori were destined to not receive a fucking chance under this clown.   

I think what disconcerts me the most is that if any player in our squad is undeserving ( given his recent performances) of remonstration its fucking Firmino ,perhaps we should be targeting the players that have yet to receive the warranted criticism ,the likes of a captain who fails to captain ,who shirks challenges and putting his quiff on the ball like Allardyce evades a menu promoting a fucking salad.

I just find it disappointing that despite being our only source of inspiration ,our only player capable of inventive football ,and our best player ,there are still those that have a preference to undermine how important he is to us rising from the ordinary  ???
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby UvS xR4GEx » Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:03 pm

He's not been the most consistent player since he's been here, but his touch and his quick one touch passes are a thing of beauty. If he had class players around him to play off we'll see something special I'm certain. He is abit lightweight still but I'm sure he'll toughen up over time.
UvS xR4GEx
LFC Guru Member

Postby ethanr » Sun Feb 14, 2016 4:11 am

5 goals and 2 assists in his last 5 PL games. I don't care what else you do in a game if you're averaging scoring/creating more than a goal per game. And 3 of those games were against Leicester, Arsenal and united, so he's not just doing well again the poor clubs.

I think it's obvious he's looking a lot more consistent now than when he first came. Other clubs are starting to fear him. As somebody else said, with Coutinho and hopefully Sturridge back, Firmino would be freed up to do a lot more.
DESPITE THE FACT I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA...
ethanr

Postby devaney » Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:16 am

RED BEERGOGGLES » Sat Feb 13, 2016 7:09 pm wrote:It is plausible to assume some Liverpool fans can still recognise a player with all the qualities to be something very special ,or is that vision no longer within our scope  ??? It seems evident to me ,that Firmino has started to find his feet rather quickly ,especially when you factor in his first introduction to English football was under a dissenter who just didn't fancy playing the Brazilian ,not because of a lack of ability ,but simply any player capable of becoming one of the  Kops favourite sons ie Markovic ,or any player the Kop were clamouring to see play ie Ilori were destined to not receive a fucking chance under this clown.   

I think what disconcerts me the most is that if any player in our squad is undeserving ( given his recent performances) of remonstration its fucking Firmino ,perhaps we should be targeting the players that have yet to receive the warranted criticism ,the likes of a captain who fails to captain ,who shirks challenges and putting his quiff on the ball like Allardyce evades a menu promoting a fucking salad.

I just find it disappointing that despite being our only source of inspiration ,our only player capable of inventive football ,and our best player ,there are still those that have a preference to undermine how important he is to us rising from the ordinary  ???

RBG we all know you have a soft spot for BR  :laugh: Correct me if I'm wrong but Firmino apart from the 4-1 thrashing of Man City was extremely lacklustre until recently and many a lot more knowledgeable than myself suggested he looked a very poor buy at £29m. I don't think this one is purely down to BR. I think it is a lot more to do with players getting used to the Premiership and Firmino has been no exception. I just hope his recent form is what we can expect regularly in the future because at time he has looked cheap at £29m and I didn't think I would be saying that a couple of months ago.
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby kazza » Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:04 am

His form improved when he played as a striker.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:31 pm

devaney » Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:16 am wrote:
RED BEERGOGGLES » Sat Feb 13, 2016 7:09 pm wrote:It is plausible to assume some Liverpool fans can still recognise a player with all the qualities to be something very special ,or is that vision no longer within our scope  ??? It seems evident to me ,that Firmino has started to find his feet rather quickly ,especially when you factor in his first introduction to English football was under a dissenter who just didn't fancy playing the Brazilian ,not because of a lack of ability ,but simply any player capable of becoming one of the  Kops favourite sons ie Markovic ,or any player the Kop were clamouring to see play ie Ilori were destined to not receive a fucking chance under this clown.   

RBG we all know you have a soft spot for BR  :laugh: Correct me if I'm wrong but Firmino apart from the 4-1 thrashing of Man City was extremely lacklustre until recently and many a lot more knowledgeable than myself suggested he looked a very poor buy at £29m. I don't think this one is purely down to BR. I think it is a lot more to do with players getting used to the Premiership and Firmino has been no exception. I just hope his recent form is what we can expect regularly in the future because at time he has looked cheap at £29m and I didn't think I would be saying that a couple of months ago.

Dev its common for South American players to struggle in this league ,albeit for the phenomenon that was Suarez ,take Willian at Chelsea although he produced flashes in his first season it took him a year to adapt and become the player he is now. I  think Firmino has shown more ,and adapted far more rapidly than fans give him credit for ?

As for the former incumbent ,yes I do have a soft spot for him ,its a lava pit in Ethiopia  :;): 

RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The_Rock » Sun Feb 14, 2016 5:36 pm

RED BEERGOGGLES » Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:31 pm wrote:
As for the former incumbent ,yes I do have a soft spot for him ,its a lava pit in Ethiopia  :;): 

haha  :wwww
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion