NESV - OUR NEW OWNERS - Official Thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:03 am

ethanr » Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:24 pm wrote:Credit to them. I'm not sure how many of you know this, but American ticket prices are way different than in England. I'm sure the owners came over and couldn't believe how cheap tickets were in England. Paying £77 for a ticket in the US (about $112), wouldn't be uncommon at all. My brother is a season ticket holder for one of our American football teams, and he paid over £8000 just for the rights to buy the tickets (to basically own those seats until he stops paying the per game rate), plus an additional £120 or so per game for the tickets themselves. Tickets a the Superbowl were going for as high as £5-6000 for a single ticket.

I'm all for people stepping up and saying too much is too much, but PL tickets are not even close to that of American ticket prices.

You are comparing apples and oranges though mate, for a start there is only a limited number of NFL teams, for example on one hand you've got Los Angeles which has 1 NFL team and on the other London (comparable in size to LA) which has 16 or 17 pro footy teams, if London had 1 footy team I'm sure those tickets would be absolutely astronomical as well.
More than anything else though footy in this country has been traditionally the sport of the working class but over the last 25 years they have been priced out of their own sport.
There is a reason why the likes of Anfield, Goodison, Maine Road, Highbury etc etc were all surrounded by rows and rows of terraced houses, it's because those clubs all arose out of working class communities.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Raoul » Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:12 am

Yep, a good response. Perhaps the walk out should have happened years ago, because while £77 was a symbol, surely the end result is cheaper tickets across the board. It'll be interesting to see how Spion Kop, et al respond, but LFC surely can't be expected to turn the clock back and charge less.

I think though that the ball is not in LFC's or Liverpool's match-going support's court. The ball is in court of supporters of other clubs. If there was a nationwide 77 minutes walk-out this week (I'm sure this wouldn't be appropriate for some clubs, but certainly there are plenty of fan groups with good reason), then that really starts to speak to the real issue of supporters being priced out. FSG's quick response also plays into the hands of other clubs' supporters because it sets a precedent of taking the protest seriously. Any club that didn't respond to a league-wide protest could run the risk of ongoing and significant protests - imagine the away end being empty week after week...\

If a quarter to a third of Liverpool's fans can get this response with one action, imagine what could be achieved league-wide if a quarter to one third of all fans stood up!
"Life is not just about money. There are other things, important things that have a different kind of value. Anyone from Liverpool could tell you that."

- Jamie Carragher
Raoul
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kazza » Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:51 am

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:03 pm wrote:
ethanr » Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:24 pm wrote:Credit to them. I'm not sure how many of you know this, but American ticket prices are way different than in England. I'm sure the owners came over and couldn't believe how cheap tickets were in England. Paying £77 for a ticket in the US (about $112), wouldn't be uncommon at all. My brother is a season ticket holder for one of our American football teams, and he paid over £8000 just for the rights to buy the tickets (to basically own those seats until he stops paying the per game rate), plus an additional £120 or so per game for the tickets themselves. Tickets a the Superbowl were going for as high as £5-6000 for a single ticket.

I'm all for people stepping up and saying too much is too much, but PL tickets are not even close to that of American ticket prices.

You are comparing apples and oranges though mate, for a start there is only a limited number of NFL teams, for example on one hand you've got Los Angeles which has 1 NFL team and on the other London (comparable in size to LA) which has 16 or 17 pro footy teams, if London had 1 footy team I'm sure those tickets would be absolutely astronomical as well.
More than anything else though footy in this country has been traditionally the sport of the working class but over the last 25 years they have been priced out of their own sport.
There is a reason why the likes of Anfield, Goodison, Maine Road, Highbury etc etc were all surrounded by rows and rows of terraced houses, it's because those clubs all arose out of working class communities.

Bang on
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Klopptomaniac » Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:32 pm

I wasn't expecting the owners to U-turn so soon. They seem to want to avoid friction between themselves and the fans which can only be a good thing. Can't help but feel they'll use other methods to make up the money lost on the prize freeze

One things for certain tho, there isn't a better group of supporters in the land who stand united like LFC - this is the football club I know and love  :bowdown
Klopptomaniac
LFC Advanced Member

Postby leeroy74 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:53 pm

they'll work out what revenue they've missed out on over the next 5 seasons and deduct it from the transfer budget.
leeroy74
LFC Super Member

Postby johnbarnes » Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:57 pm

Maths isn’t my strength…

I’ve used round figures so the capacity of Anfield in the example below is 45,000. I have also left out the increased capacity from the new main stand (next season) as these seats should be considered ‘New Customers’. So my figures only affect our current fan base and are based on 19 Premier League matches only.

This season (which includes Categories A, B & C)19 PL games cost a total of £1,031 which x 45,000 = 46,395,000 (46M)

Next season (No Categories) 19 PL games cost total = 1,121 which x 45,000 = 50,445,000 (50M)

Which = a total increase sum £4,050,000 (4M)

FSG have frozen prices for 2 seasons which is 4M x2 = an increase sum of 8 Million.

——

My questions are:
Does this figure of 8million represent an increase in revenue or an increase in profit or both?

Was the walk a protest against the increase of individual ticket prices or the total increase of revenue gained from stadium match day ticket sales?
——

I apologise if something is missed. I’m just not that good at Maths.
johnbarnes
LFC Super Member

Postby Thommo's perm » Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:37 pm

Yes, Liverpool supporters have shown what can be done when fans unite and stick together. But before we get carried away with the "victory" what has really happened? The owners have apologised for not listening, but didn't Ayre say they HAD listened and consulted with supporters, and that's why they changed in ticket prices and why they thought they had done the right thing? "Look at the facts" he said. Pure bullsh'it, and he now has been made to look even more of a tw@t than he already is.
Saturday's walk out should be the start of action to lower the ticket prices, not the end. Why should the owners now inform people that they have reconsidered and changed the prices because of the exodus? Where is the consultation? Where is the discussion? Surely they are doing the same thing as they did last week?
And as someone has pointed out, if they do de-categorise games then they will make more money, not less. There should be more walk outs until the supporters get what they want, because if they accept this offer they will have gained nothing. Now is the time that ALL match going supporters make some noise and force owners to lower the prices. Use the success of Reds fans to force the clubs to listen and do what they did.
:buttrock
Thommo's perm

Postby Reg » Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:26 am

Even if 4m is accurate, the investment was 120 million so its a 30 year pay back before a penny of interest is paid. Good investment? No.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby johnbarnes » Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:21 am

Thommo's perm » Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:37 pm wrote:Yes, Liverpool supporters have shown what can be done when fans unite and stick together. But before we get carried away with the "victory" what has really happened? The owners have apologised for not listening, but didn't Ayre say they HAD listened and consulted with supporters, and that's why they changed in ticket prices and why they thought they had done the right thing? "Look at the facts" he said. Pure bullsh'it, and he now has been made to look even more of a tw@t than he already is.
Saturday's walk out should be the start of action to lower the ticket prices, not the end. Why should the owners now inform people that they have reconsidered and changed the prices because of the exodus? Where is the consultation? Where is the discussion? Surely they are doing the same thing as they did last week?
And as someone has pointed out, if they do de-categorise games then they will make more money, not less. There should be more walk outs until the supporters get what they want, because if they accept this offer they will have gained nothing. Now is the time that ALL match going supporters make some noise and force owners to lower the prices. Use the success of Reds fans to force the clubs to listen and do what they did.

100% agree.
A small battle has been won. But if fans do not continue their protest(s) and activate other fan bases across the country to do the same, the price war will be lost.
The Americans call FSG's last statement 'Hoodwink'
johnbarnes
LFC Super Member

Postby devaney » Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:35 am

I find it amazing that it has taken so long for fans to take action with regards to ticket prices. They have been disgracefully high for years and represent a crazy proportion of most peoples weekly net wages that attend the game.

Greed is rife in football. Transfer fees are ridiculous. Agent payments are a joke. Players and managers wages are bewildering. Fans are treated appallingly by clubs. Just look at the price increases during the last decade when inflation has been extremely low. The to say it but the walk out really needed to happen a long time ago !!
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby the return of HAS » Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:15 pm

Enrique is reportedly on 60k a week, which is just over 3mil a year. Let's not replace him (he doesn't play anyway) and use that money to reduce ticket prices.
"We’ve got a lot of Cockneys in the team, but really, it doesn’t matter where they’re from – we’re all playing for Liverpool.” Robbie Fowler
the return of HAS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:08 pm

You'd have to shoot him first to free up the money.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby the return of HAS » Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:31 pm

Reg » Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:08 pm wrote:You'd have to shoot him first to free up the money.

Contract up in the summer.
"We’ve got a lot of Cockneys in the team, but really, it doesn’t matter where they’re from – we’re all playing for Liverpool.” Robbie Fowler
the return of HAS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby johnbarnes » Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:36 pm

ManUre fans to protest at tomorrows UEFA match.
They are being charged £71 for a match that Southampton Fans were charged only £21 this season.
It would be great if SOS snd other groups show their support of this at home (or away) in Europe...
Mancs or no Mancs, I'm sure that everyone should agree that 'Ticket Pricing' is far greater than any rivalry that exits.
johnbarnes
LFC Super Member

Postby Reg » Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:04 am

Liverpool owners must give Jurgen Klopp £200m to turn team into title contenders, says Alan Hansen

EXCLUSIVE: Anfield legend says manager must be allowed to overhaul under-achieving squad - with a goalkeeper and two centre-backs his priority - but warns there is no quick fix to the club's malaise and the owners may be wary considering the failure of some of their big-money signings

The Liverpool legend believes his old club require major rebuilding under Klopp, but warned there is no ‘quick’ fix and fears Liverpool’s owners, Fenway Sports Group, could be reluctant to sanction more big spending given how much money has been wasted since they bought the club in 2010.

Liverpool are eighth in the table, nine points off the Champions League places, and Hansen believes a major overhaul, including at least five signings, is needed.

“These players are not going to win the league, so realistically they probably need five major signings,” Hansen said. “Jurgen Klopp will have taken the job already knowing who he wants to bring in. The owners have brought him in and now they need to back him, but the problem is the money.

“From what I understand Fenway Sports Group have told the manager it is not a bottomless pit. So the problem he might have is that the owners have invested so much already, will they be reluctant to do it again? They have spent a lot - £20m on Lazar Markovic, and then he was sent out on loan.

“You could say they need to spend £100m, but where does that get you in today’s market? If they are going to have a real go it needs to be more like £200m – but you can’t just snap your fingers and solve the problem.”

Liverpool’s defensive problems have hindered their progress all season, and Hansen, who won three European Cups and eight league titles during his 14 years at Anfield, said the club were suffering for their lack of quality centre-backs and the struggles of goalkeeper Simon Mignolet.

Hansen added: “The problem with Simon Mignolet is he’ll go on a good run and then a bad run, but the question is whether there is anyone out there who is better. Do you give him more time? If you look at someone like David De Gea, when he was first at Manchester United he was called the worst goalkeeper in the world. Now he’s being called the best in the world.

“The manager will have to be looking at two goalkeepers and a centre-back. But like with the goalkeeper situation I can’t think of too many decent centre-backs out there. You need a centre-back partnership to be successful and Liverpool have not had one for a number of years. I look at Wes Morgan and Robert Huth at Leicester and how successful they have been. That’s what Liverpool miss”

Hansen was talking to the Independent as he prepares to front the new Walkers Tear ‘n’ Share campaign (“My favourite flavour? Cheese and Onion - no contest.”), and as Liverpool prepare to face Manchester City in the Capital One Cup final on Sunday.

When asked whether Klopp should stick with his policy of playing youngsters in the cup, Hansen said: “Are you kidding - there’s absolutely no chance he’ll go with the kids. It’s Manchester City in a major cup final. And Liverpool have won one trophy in eight years. He’ll not want to give them an inch. He’ll go with his strongest side.”

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/foot ... 60761.html
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion