SIMON MIGNOLET- Official thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby johnbarnes » Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:13 pm

Doeboy » Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:03 pm wrote:The 5 year contract is just to protect an asset. Doesn't mean a thing really. Think he will go in the summer, he isn't upto it

I don't think he'll go, but he will be replaced.
SM will make the perfect no.2/3 at the club.
johnbarnes
LFC Super Member

Postby Doeboy » Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:40 pm

Don't think he will hang around if he is no 2. Will push for a move in that situation imo
Doeboy

Postby johnbarnes » Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:42 pm

Doeboy » Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:40 pm wrote:Don't think he will hang around if he is no 2. Will push for a move in that situation imo

Maybe so. But at least we will command a decent fee from any departure.
johnbarnes
LFC Super Member

Postby Doeboy » Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:57 pm

Exactly,  that was my point.  Get him to sign a contract and not have a situation where he is running down his contract and then flog him in the summer
Doeboy

Postby parchpea » Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:37 pm

No way back for Mignolet at Anfield now and hope the deal is just protecting us but even so it sends the wrong message to me.

You must get to a point as a player where you know the fans dont want you there and thats very difficult to contend with particulary as a keeper.

Hes not good enough to get past this now, shot to pieces mentally.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby Klopptomaniac » Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:32 am

If he was manager he'd have been sacked by now. If we go into next season with him between the sticks we'll go nowhere. Klopp must surely be thinking the same
Klopptomaniac
LFC Advanced Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:32 am

We should have went for Begovic when we had the chance 3 years ago, Simon comes across as a likeable fella but he just hasn't got the temperament to play for a club like Liverpool. Just like David James and Brad Friedel he'll probably go on to do well somewhere else but he's just not cut out to handle the pressure that comes with playing for this club.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Kopite-Jud » Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:55 am

once again

He's gone 90 mins without making a single save.

United... didn't make a save - got beat, Norwich... Made 1 save and conceded 4.... Sunderland made no saves.... conceded 2.  Anyone else in notice that in the Sunderland game he seemed to take AN AGE to take a goal kick or to clear it?  He'd kick it around for a bit at his feet, wave everyone forward, kick it around a bit more, wave people forward some more then pick it up, wave people forward AGAIN before eventually kicking it.

in them 3 games alone, we conceded 7 in 8 shots on target.

Arsenal game..... the first goal should be saved near post, 2nd goal from a corner (speaks for its self) game should be out of sight by half time.

Bordeaux game... The freekick in the box

All this is just in recent months.... He's a fuc*ing awful goal keeper.  He's our worst player (who starts constantly) in my lifetime.  AND IVE SEEN SOME SH*T IN MY TIME
Kopite-Jud

Postby C-R » Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:03 am

Kopite-Jud » Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:55 am wrote:once again

He's gone 90 mins without making a single save.

United... didn't make a save - got beat, Norwich... Made 1 save and conceded 4.... Sunderland made no saves.... conceded 2.  Anyone else in notice that in the Sunderland game he seemed to take AN AGE to take a goal kick or to clear it?  He'd kick it around for a bit at his feet, wave everyone forward, kick it around a bit more, wave people forward some more then pick it up, wave people forward AGAIN before eventually kicking it.

in them 3 games alone, we conceded 7 in 8 shots on target.

Arsenal game..... the first goal should be saved near post, 2nd goal from a corner (speaks for its self) game should be out of sight by half time.

Bordeaux game... The freekick in the box

All this is just in recent months.... He's a fuc*ing awful goal keeper.  He's our worst player (who starts constantly) in my lifetime.  AND IVE SEEN SOME SH*T IN MY TIME

all of this, agree 100%  :nod
C-R
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SkippyRed » Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:24 pm

Hard to argue that.
SkippyRed
LFC Advanced Member

Postby JC_81 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:22 pm

I feel that we are at the point with Mignolet that we were with David James when we had to let him go. James was a very good keeper but unfortunately had a really bad spell where he couldn't catch a cross resulting in multiple lost goals and points. The nickname 'calamity james' stuck and it was constantly regurgitated in the press. The anxiety at games was palpable every time corners and crosses came in.

It's now at the point, as yakka said in another thread, that even when Mignolet is having a good game there is still no confidence in him.

If anything it'd be better for his career to move on and get a fresh start, as David James did - he went on to be number one for England years after he left us. I just don't see Mignolet turning it around here given the anxiety fans feel when he is on the pitch, which of course transmits to him and compounds the problem.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Klopptomaniac » Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:06 pm

JC_81 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:22 pm wrote:I feel that we are at the point with Mignolet that we were with David James when we had to let him go. James was a very good keeper but unfortunately had a really bad spell where he couldn't catch a cross resulting in multiple lost goals and points. The nickname 'calamity james' stuck and it was constantly regurgitated in the press. The anxiety at games was palpable every time corners and crosses came in.

It's now at the point, as yakka said in another thread, that even when Mignolet is having a good game there is still no confidence in him.

If anything it'd be better for his career to move on and get a fresh start, as David James did - he went on to be number one for England years after he left us. I just don't see Mignolet turning it around here given the anxiety fans feel when he is on the pitch, which of course transmits to him and compounds the problem.

Agreed. For me it's reached a point where I don't think it matters who we buy for the back 4. If Mig is the last line of defence they'll never perform like a solid unit. We've chopped and changed personnel for a few years now and it's never looked settled, the one constant throughout that time has been Mignolet
Klopptomaniac
LFC Advanced Member

Postby the return of HAS » Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:58 pm

I'm pretty sure it's been the plan for a while for Klopp to sign a keeper in the summer. Begovic is just another bog standard mid table keeper like Mignolet. Can't see Ter Stegen giving up on his Barcelona dream so soon. I'm sure Klopp will have his eye on a few German keepers (one position where they have loads of quality youngsters playing regularly in the top flight). If I had put my money somewhere it would be Timo Horn or Loris Karius.
"We’ve got a lot of Cockneys in the team, but really, it doesn’t matter where they’re from – we’re all playing for Liverpool.” Robbie Fowler
the return of HAS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:22 pm

The two keepers in the league that I think are better than what we have and who are realistic targets are Fraser Forster and Adrian.

Butland I'm not convinced about yet. His kicking under pressure is as bad as Mignolet.

Forster would be a genuine threat to Hart's shirt if he moved here. Hes kept 6 consecutive clean sheets since his comeback from injury and he had been closing in on Hart before he got injured. Of course we'd get stick if we went for him as it's another Southampton player. Also got CL experience with Celtic. He's a northern lad too being from Hexham and I think could be tempted away from there.

Adrian is more under the radar but a player I've liked for a while. He'd be more difficult to get, West ham are on the up with the move to the new stadium and with the team Bilic has there.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:24 pm

Lloris is no longer obtainable given where spurs are, tho I'd argued in the past we should go for him.

Frankly I don't watch enough foreign football anymore to comment too much on targets
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion