Movies - What have you been watching ?

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:17 pm

woof woof ! » Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:34 pm wrote:
RED BEERGOGGLES » Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:19 pm wrote:Watched the Revenant yesterday ,considering it was a true story it suffers greatly from the obligatory Hollywood overkill. However I thought 'Mr Glass' done well to outlive the fragility of his name ,and the scene were he's left for dead and tossed about like a rag doll by the Grizzly was graphic to say the least.
Other than that ,too many parts of the film such as the drop he survived were absolute bollocks.

Red, the "drop" scene raised an eyebrow BUT he did plunge into a massive fir tree which could well have broken the fall as he continued down, no doubt going "Ow Ow Ow ! " as he hit every branch on the way      :D

Anyway mate stranger things have happened, see the story of Peruvian schoolgirl Julianne Koepcke .

When she was just 17, on Christmas Eve  1971,  she was involved in a horrific plane crash that killed her mother and everyone else on the plane.

Julianne, now 58, fell 10,000ft, still strapped in her seat. She then walked and swam for 11 days through the heart of the Amazon until she was eventually found.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z3v9N0XMYk

Bear attack /Branch attack ,fight to the death with the guy who prematurely interred him ...  I'd have still been convalescing from the first bear bite   :D
I watched Child 44 the other day ,and I thought it was Hardy's best movie ,but Noomi Rapace breathed life into her role ,thought she was exceptional.
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:22 pm

RED BEERGOGGLES » Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:17 pm wrote:Bear attack /Branch attack ,fight to the death with the guy who prematurely interred him ...  I'd have still been convalescing from the first bear bite   :D
I watched Child 44 the other day ,and I thought it was Hardy's best movie ,but Noomi Rapace breathed life into her role ,thought she was exceptional.

:laugh:  to the first line

Re Child 44. Maybe the Alzhiemers is kicking in, read so many good reports about this movie, subsequently not sure if iv'e already watched it or just planned too   :p

I'll have too check out my DL'd history and get back to you    :D

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:37 pm

woof woof ! » Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:22 pm wrote:
RED BEERGOGGLES » Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:17 pm wrote:Bear attack /Branch attack ,fight to the death with the guy who prematurely interred him ...  I'd have still been convalescing from the first bear bite   :D

:laugh:  to the first line

Re Child 44. Maybe the Alzhiemers is kicking in, read so many good reports about this movie, subsequently not sure if iv'e already watched it or just planned too   :p

I'll have too check out my DL'd history and get back to you    :D

I think it was Reg who recommended it mate on this very thread ,just seen it on Amazon the other day after flicking through the movies and remembered someone said it was a good watch. Have to say it made for compelling viewing, basically its structured along the existence of a child serial killer that the Russians are hell bent  on refuting the reality of such a thing at all costs and compile a variety of ridiculous cover ups. Good movie mate.
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:39 am

:nod  Remember it now RBG, very good movie.

My problem (apart from a failing memory :D  ) is that I watch at least 5 or 6 movies a week, most of them *****, and they very quickly become a bit of a blur, I can see a film on Monday and have forgotten it by the end of the week  :p

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:07 am

woof woof ! » Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:39 am wrote::nod  Remember it now RBG, very good movie.

My problem (apart from a failing memory :D  ) is that I watch at least 5 or 6 movies a week, most of them *****, and they very quickly become a bit of a blur, I can see a film on Monday and have forgotten it by the end of the week  :p

:D

Tell me about it mate ,the other day I stopped the car on a green light ,and I keep leaving  my glasses in the fridge ,I know random ,but nevertheless cause for concern.
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:06 pm

Johnny Depp in Black Mass.  Took a while to get used to a balding Johnny Depp in this one but as usual he puts in a top performance as one of Americas most notorious gangsters

Unfortunately the movie although initially very promising ultimately just fizzles out. In the gangster genre this one falls miles short of stuff like Goodfella's , Scarface or even Heat but worth a watch if you like Johnny Depp .

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:54 am

Watched the Hateful Eight last night ,and whilst it wasn't as ground-breaking as Pulp Fiction it held my attention significantly more than the much hyped but instantly forgettable Django. I thought Leigh was brilliant as the Matriarch of the gang Daisy Domergue ,and Samuel L does 'unforgiving' better than most ,but I was disappointed that the undeniable talent of Roth wasn't given room to swing with his portrayal of Oswaldo Mowbray.

That said ,it was a pastiche of Spaghetti Westerns joined together and twisted by a director that has now given me my favourite character in Westerns ,step forward  Bob the Mexican piano player  :D
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redshade » Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:35 am

Lol i enjoyed it aswel. Dingus lol
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby Reg » Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:35 pm

Just suffered 2x 26 hour flights Singapore -> Miami round trip so watched the entire world's film output for the last 6 months!

A German film 'Labyrinth of Lies' about a prosecutor hunting down war crime perpetrators in post WW11 Germany, both interesting and good.

A cracking Italian comedy 'Noi e la Giulia' or a clumsy name in English 'The Legendary Giulia and Other Miracles'. 3 guys buy a farmhouse to convert into a agritourismo, they pick up a communist 4th partner, then a pregnant girl, tangle with the mafia etc.. what goes wrong, does go wrong in a very Italian way. I was laughing out loud.

A Russian film 'Territoriya' - gold prospectors/geologists working in harsh but beautifully remote parts of Siberia in the 1960's. A hard slog, heavy going. So predictably Russian.

Danish film: '9th April' the day the Germans invaded Denmark during WW11. Local reserve soldiers face the coming threat, the fears and complete inability to provide a deterant. Good film of a rather pathetic situation.

007 Spectre. Daniel Craig's doing a good job but after 4 films, Bond needs a change of direction. He seems to spend all his time being confused. Time for him to get on with life.

I try to stay away from the Hollywood section on planes as they usually have a good selection of european films.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:39 am

Saw that Danish movie Reg, interesting from a historical perspective. As you say those Danish soldiers were faced with a pathetic situation. Like  trying to stop a tidal surge with a paper bag !

The Russian movie you mention sounds worth the watch, I'll look out for it.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:32 pm

Watched Ironclad on Amazon ,basically it depicts what happened after King John put his monica on the Magna Carta ,lets just say a ruler more than brushed with insanity and one that believed himself to be the 'right hand of God' didn't take the literary manacles inclusive in the charter in the manner befitting of a humbled king.   

Good film ,and Giamatti proffers a  brilliant portrayal of the malevolent King.
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redshade » Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:51 pm

Anyone watched "The Act of Killing"
Documentary movie type. Watched it yesterday, it's something different. Insigh into the  Indonesian death squads during 1965 massacre of communists.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby Reg » Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:34 am

Woof, if you like Russian films, I watched this one on a previous flight and is worth looking up, good insight on how Russians continue to live:

Leviathan (2014)  Leviafan (original title)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2802154/

I haven't seen this one but it looks good:

Ida 2013
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ida_(film)
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:56 pm

Cheers Reg, wouldn't say I'm a particular fan of Russian cinema but I often watch foreign language movies (especially from China, Korea and Japan) as they offer something different from the normal Hollywood fare. I'll check out those you've linked.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby andy_g » Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:46 pm

Reg » Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:35 pm wrote:
A cracking Italian comedy 'Noi e la Giulia' or a clumsy name in English 'The Legendary Giulia and Other Miracles'. 3 guys buy a farmhouse to convert into a agritourismo, they pick up a communist 4th partner, then a pregnant girl, tangle with the mafia etc.. what goes wrong, does go wrong in a very Italian way. I was laughing out loud.

watch it again. i'm convinced that the cabin pressure or the food or something alters our perception of films on planes. i remember once traveling with colleagues to japan a few years back. me and a mate watched Mr Deeds and were laughing and chortling and giggling all the way through... funniest thing we'd ever seen. so funny in fact, that once back home we decided to get a few beers in and watch it again. it wasn't long before we were looking at each other, embarrassed at how unbelievably shit it was, and turned it off. lesson learned.

and if you guys want a good russian film to enjoy i totally and completely recommend 'How I Ended This Summer'.

i just watched Birdman. its one of the best films i've seen for ages, and michael keaton is brilliant. the camera work and jazz drumming soundtrack take your breath away, the acting is top notch and its very, very funny.

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat Forum