CHRISTIAN BENTEKE - Official Thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby SkippyRed » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:37 pm

Reg » Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:27 am wrote:Not sure whether we want to play 4-4-2 now Skippy, we have some great wide players and playmakers, think 4-4-2 is too rigid. Benteke is struggling to fit in because he's a 4-4-2 style man.

True, but surely it's worth having a crack at it. They may fire, they may not. But if we can get him firing, if he isn't in Klopp's plans then we can re-coup some money back off of him.
SkippyRed
LFC Advanced Member

Postby redshade » Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:47 pm

Just thinking will we have a similar prob with Benteke like we did with Carroll. They are tall target men who really thrive on wingers.
The way JK will set his team out i can't see us snapping any out n out wingers.
JK side play quick intense footy which imo Benteke does not fit in well. Does not have the pace for a setup like that.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby woof woof ! » Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:10 am

I mentioned during the Newcastle game that I was beginning to wonder if Benteke was a proper fit for the team. Not trying to downplay the fella's ability but we're certainly not seeing the kind of performances from him that we might have expected which imo is due to the service (or lack of it) that's being provided. If Kloppo is going to use him he's deffo got to address the issue of getting balls into Benteke in order to get the best out of him.

I believe Benteke can be successful in Kloppo's preferred  4-2-3-1 system if for example he's pushed up high and the likes of Clyne, Moreno, Ibe and Lallana are encouraged to play in early crosses from deep instead of attempting to time and again dribble to the 18 yard box before crossing.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Reg » Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:07 pm

Woof the quality of passing and crossing last night in the final third was awful, there was little chance of Benteke making a sustained threat on goal. It's not the lads fault, its hurried, inaccurate service.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Mon Dec 07, 2015 4:11 pm

Reg » Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:07 am wrote:Woof the quality of passing and crossing last night in the final third was awful, there was little chance of Benteke making a sustained threat on goal. It's not the lads fault, its hurried, inaccurate service.

Like I said Reg

Not trying to downplay the fella's ability but we're certainly not seeing the kind of performances from him that we might have expected which imo is due to the service (or lack of it) that's being provided. If Kloppo is going to use him he's deffo got to address the issue of getting balls into Benteke in order to get the best out of him.

BTW, how's life in Singapore compared to your previous stint in (was it) Brasil ?   :)

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby damjan193 » Mon Dec 07, 2015 7:53 pm

Like I said before we bought him, good player, just not for us. He's not going to flop with us, but I believe that we'll never get everything out of him. Time will tell though...
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:33 pm

At his best he's virtually unplayable but I'm not sure we'll see the best of him in this system. Whenever he plays our pressing game goes out of the window and instead of us swarming all over the opposition their back line seems to have an age to pick out a pass.
The high press is probably the biggest weapon in our armoury and without it we look half the side.
I think his best role is probably coming off the bench as an impact sub but £32m is a hell of a lot of money to spend on a back up striker and wether he is prepared to sit on the sidelines for long periods is another question altogether.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Pig Catcher » Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:59 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:33 pm wrote:At his best he's virtually unplayable but I'm not sure we'll see the best of him in this system. Whenever he plays our pressing game goes out of the window and instead of us swarming all over the opposition their back line seems to have an age to pick out a pass.
The high press is probably the biggest weapon in our armoury and without it we look half the side.
I think his best role is probably coming off the bench as an impact sub but £32m is a hell of a lot of money to spend on a back up striker and wether he is prepared to sit on the sidelines for long periods is another question altogether.

Does the same not apply to Sturridge? The high press worked reasonably well against Southampton with Sturridge in the team but that was because we played a diamond with both Sturridge and Origi up there. When Dan plays up there by himself he is also quite easy to pass around and doesn't set the tone for pressing.
Pig Catcher
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The_Rock » Fri Dec 11, 2015 7:52 pm

Rodgers has really screwed us by insisting on signing benteke......  Many were cautious about this signing...and it looks like he is not really cut-out for the time of game Klopp wants us to play.

Big Ben could do a job at Chelsea....He could do a job at stoke....He could even do a job at boring boring manure utd....

But at a club which plays high press technical football....he sticks out as a sore thumb. Its a same problem Balotelli was facing last season. We just don't play well with a target man. Our best performance this season came with mobile strikers/false 9 leading the line.
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redshade » Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:30 pm

Carroll ring any bells...Same prob we had with Carroll.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby parchpea » Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:19 pm

Way hes shaping up I can see a summer sale, possibly to Chelsea.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:54 pm

When you pay big money for a proven goal scorer you expect more than what he's currently giving ,I couldn't believe the lack of understanding between him and Coutinho ,I couldn't believe the distance between them ,and its little wonder Coutz started completely ignoring his pleas for the ball after running into the most ridiculous of positions around the box ,his best passage of play came when he was nowhere near the opponents box and the players finally enjoyed some intricate link up play when he slipped the ball through to  Lallana to slot only for a fine save.

Benteke will never add to the fluent football we want to see played ,and I don't for one minute think I'm sticking my neck out to any extreme stating that !
Last edited by RED BEERGOGGLES on Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby johnbarnes » Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:05 pm

Some players can't handle the hot seat.
johnbarnes
LFC Super Member

Postby SkippyRed » Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:56 pm

Can't lead a line by himself. Needs someone to run off him. Pair him with Firmino or Origi up front.
SkippyRed
LFC Advanced Member

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:40 pm

SkippyRed » Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:56 pm wrote:Can't lead a line by himself. Needs someone to run off him. Pair him with Firmino or Origi up front.

He cant fly a kite by himself fella ,but he's too much of a disruption to cohesive football to have him starting in any connotation. Impact sub maybe ,but as a lead striker no !
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion