Southampton V Liverpool - League Cup - Wed 2nd Dec KO 7.45pm

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby C-R » Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:09 pm

This will be another really tough game, they will be well up for this too after getting spanked on the weekend

Klopp has said Coutinho is fit, we also have Henderson and Sturridge knocking on the door, so we are looking pretty strong ourselves

Lucas will be back from suspension, on the subject of suspensions be aware that Emre Can and Nathaniel Clyne are both 1 yellow card away from a suspension of their own, if Clyne gets suspended we have no 'natural' right back to cover for him with Jon Flanagan not quite ready yet, the irony being Can (if not suspended himself) could slot in there for a match or possibly one of the youngsters

Up front and in midfield will be the big choices for Klopp, Benteke, Sturridge and Firmino all vying for a starting place and Allen, Can, Milner, Lucas and Henderson all wanting central

Very nice to have so many options for a change, at least there is no replay and the result is all about what happens on the night, be nice to nick this one within the 90 mins without any injuries, let's see
C-R
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:18 pm

Henderson and Sturridge  need game time, but I wouldn't rush either back when the rest of the team is playing so well. I'd give both 30 mins in the second half, especially Sturridge.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redshade » Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:45 am

I would like to see Texiera feature in this one.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:36 am

redshade » Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:45 am wrote:I would like to see Texiera feature in this one.

Yeah I know this game is pretty big (especially given the teams who are already out of the competition) and I know this trophy represents a great chance of winning some silverware but I'd like to see Jurgen rotate the squad and make full use of the resources available to him tomorrow.
Imo the league has to take priority, considering the fixtures we've had to play we are in a terrific position in the table and with the busy Christmas schedule coming up I think Jurgen maybe needs to start taking seriously the prospect of us launching a genuine title challenge (which imo should override everything).
Before we face Arsenal and United in the new year we play Newcastle, West Brom, Watford, Leicester (at Anfield), Sunderland and finally West Ham on the 2nd of January, fixtures don't come much kinder than that and there genuinely is a decent chance of us being top of the table (or very near it) around New Year's Day.
Jurgen has to realise that a title challenge is on and given the number of games we have to play in a short space of time and how hard we press I think he has to rest players. It would be gutting to blow 2 or 3 precious points against Newcastle the weekend because we had to play 120 mins and face penalties tomorrow night.
Last edited by ycsatbjywtbiastkamb on Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Reg » Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:45 am

C-R » Tue Dec 01, 2015 3:09 am wrote:Klopp has said Coutinho is fit, we also have Henderson and Sturridge knocking on the door, so we are looking pretty strong ourselves

Up front and in midfield will be the big choices for Klopp, Benteke, Sturridge and Firmino all vying for a starting place and Allen, Can, Milner, Lucas and Henderson all wanting central

Klopp has to start thinking along the lines of first and second team choices.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby leeroy74 » Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:57 am

Leicester at Anfield is not an easy game. they're flying and we're average at home, that's been kind.

Anyway, we should beat this lot, probably make a meal of it, trail 1 - 0 for 80mins then nick one and go to extra time, Sturridge to score in the 113 min. 1-2 to the reds.
leeroy74
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:30 am

leeroy74 » Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:57 am wrote:Leicester at Anfield is not an easy game. they're flying and we're average at home, that's been kind.

Anyway, we should beat this lot, probably make a meal of it, trail 1 - 0 for 80mins then nick one and go to extra time, Sturridge to score in the 113 min. 1-2 to the reds.

Leicester are in a false position, the fixture list has been very kind to them. They've only played 3 of the top sides and those games have all been at Leicester, even so they were lucky to get draws against Spurs and United and Arsenal put 5 past them.
They've got a couple of good players in Mahrez and Vardy but the rest wouldn't look out of place in the championship.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby C-R » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:51 am

Adam Bogdan will start in goal tonight, good to see in my opinion, he says in an interview in the Echo that he wants to prove he can be number 1 for all matches

I hope he has a really great game and puts a lot of pressure on Mongolet and forces his way in

I don't think either of these keepers is the long term future for our goalie, i would like to see Jack Butland here, but in the mean time let's see Bogdan give Mong a run for his money
C-R
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:09 am

leeroy74 » Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:57 pm wrote:Leicester at Anfield is not an easy game. they're flying and we're average at home, that's been kind.

It certainly isn't mate but what about Southampton against Liverpool at Anfield?   :rasp  :laugh:  :rasp
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby leeroy74 » Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:40 pm

Reg » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:09 am wrote:
leeroy74 » Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:57 pm wrote:Leicester at Anfield is not an easy game. they're flying and we're average at home, that's been kind.

It certainly isn't mate but what about Southampton against Liverpool at Anfield?   :rasp  :laugh:  :rasp

I don't follow you mate?
leeroy74
LFC Super Member

Postby woof woof ! » Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:27 pm

Think he's pointing out that last time against Southampton at our place we failed to win, inference being it won't be any easier at their place.

Loved your match report though Lee, even though you failed to describe the quality of Sturridge's winner !   :D

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby devaney » Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:51 pm

I think at this stage of the competition he will play a very strong team. Southampton definitely will. JK is only interested in wining and would love a trophy in his first season. He can achieve that through the CC and get an early ticket into Europe for next season. The prize of potentially getting into the  CL group stages now makes winning the EL a lot more interesting.
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:29 pm

Klopp mentioned in his pre match prezza that it was only 2 days ago that we played Swansea and he is obviously going to have to take that into consideration.
One or two might be getting a rest then.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby leeroy74 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:29 pm

woof woof ! » Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:27 pm wrote:Think he's pointing out that last time against Southampton at our place we failed to win, inference being it won't be any easier at their place.

Loved your match report though Lee, even though you failed to describe the quality of Sturridge's winner !   :D

well it wasn't anything to write home about woof, Lovren had hoofed it 3/4 length of the pitch by accident as he actually intended a backpass to the keeper, Firminho dribbled it around 3 defenders, squared it to Sturridge who tripped over his wallet, fell on the ball and both ball and Sturridge went bundling over the line. He then came off injured as his big toe nail felt poorly.
leeroy74
LFC Super Member

Postby C-R » Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:46 pm

Starting 11

Bogdan, Randall, Skrtel, Lovren, Moreno, Can, Lucas, Allen, Lallana, Origi, Sturridge

Subs

Mignolet, Smith, Milner, Benteke, Firmino, Henderson, Ibe
C-R
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - Games