Gerry Byrne

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Thommo's perm » Sat Nov 28, 2015 12:08 pm

Sad to see Liverpool legend Gerry Byrne sadly passed away this morning. Gerry was one of the toughest men in LFC and football history, famously playing most of an FA cup final (including extra time) with a broken collar bone. Substitutes werent allowed in those days and even though he should have come off he refused, quietly asking physio  Bob Paisley not to tell anyone so he could carry on playing.
RIP Gerry
Thommo's perm

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Nov 28, 2015 2:43 pm

Very sad news, the opening line of Peter McGoverns folk song 'In My Liverpool Home' pretty much sums up Gerry's life - born in Liverpool down by the docks, religion was catholic, occupation hard knocks.
That broken collar bone in the 65 final was just a scratch to him, infact when Bob Paisley told him how bad it was he just picked himself up off the floor and said 'I'll get by, don't tell anyone it's broken'. He dislocated his elbow against Celtic in a huge European tie as well but just shrugged it off.
He was a great player who never took a backward step in a red shirt, he was one of the originals who took us out of the second division to the heady heights of the first division title and FA cup. He is quite simply a LFC legend.
RIP Gerry
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby damjan193 » Sat Nov 28, 2015 3:30 pm

Always loved hearing about that broken collar bone story, really puts a lot of things into perspective in terms of comparison between football today and football back then.

RIP
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby johnbarnes » Sat Nov 28, 2015 3:32 pm

damjan193 » Sat Nov 28, 2015 3:30 pm wrote:Always loved hearing about that broken collar bone story, really puts a lot of things into perspective in terms of comparison between football today and football back then.

RIP

2nd That ^^^^
Rest In Peace Gerry
  :buttrock
johnbarnes
LFC Super Member

Postby Dundreamin is back » Sun Nov 29, 2015 2:36 am

Christ just lost my Mum 5 weeks ago. Lost Dad at 42 in 1982 and he and my Grandad told me the stories of when Shanks took charge, I was a bit to young to remember. The story that always stuck in my mind was about Gerry Byrne and that broken collar bone in the 65 FA Cup final. Playing on tarmac, concrete, paving flags etc in them days before the H&S police where around I always remembered how painful that injury must of been,but always it kept me in good stead joining the Army at 17 and up to now disabled and lucky to be alive. I never give up and never will. So when these tarts today say their injured with a chipped finger nail makes me laugh my remedy would be a good kick up the *****. Sturbridge TAKE NOTE you tart
Dundreamin is back
LFC Advanced Member

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion