DANIEL STURRIDGE- Official thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby JC_81 » Fri Nov 27, 2015 8:58 am

The last couple of posts are reminiscent of a thread about Harry Kewell on here about 10 years ago.

Nobody doubted Kewell's quality either but he was made of glass and was on big wages for us at the time.

As the injuries mounted fans started questioning his mentality and willingness to play. I hope the same doesn't happen with Sturridge.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:03 am

On the big day that we needed Kewell back in May 2005, he limped off after a few minutes.
Let's not back a knobbled horse again, surely we've learnt that lesson?
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:37 am

Must admit Klopp didn't look too impressed when he was asked about Sturridge in his post match interview, he's undoubtably a terrific player and a player that would fit right in to that Coutinho/Firmino/Lallana front line Jurgen seems to be building but as others have mentioned it's hard to justify paying someone £150,000+ every week if they are only going to play a handful of games every season.
Hopefully this latest injury is just a minor knock and he'll be available for selection soon.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby johnbarnes » Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:59 am

Reg » Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:03 am wrote:On the big day that we needed Kewell back in May 2005, he limped off after a few minutes.

We won that night.. I'll take a repeat of history if the outcome is a win.
johnbarnes
LFC Super Member

Postby C-R » Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:59 am

C-R
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:17 am

To be fair to him it's not as if he is making a conscious decision to be injured, he can't help it if his body keeps letting him down.
I often wonder if these modern players are too highly tuned, years ago in the 60's/70's/80's players played on mud baths and rock hard frozen surfaces and literally kicked lumps out of each other for 90 minutes yet rarely missed a game, one year we won the title under Bill Shankly using only 13 or 14 players. There were 42 games in a season back then too and no international breaks.
Considering the game is practically a non contact sport these days with pitches like bowling greens and boots like carpet slippers I'm baffled to why there are so many serious injuries.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby 7_Kewell » Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:38 am

Hope it's a minor knock as he's skating on thin ice with Klopp who will start to wonder if he'll ever be able to rely on Sturridge.

Fingers crossed he'll be back soon as he's still a quality forward, when fit.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby killerp » Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:34 pm

how many years left on his contract??
killerp

Postby maguskwt » Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:35 pm

Reg » Fri Nov 27, 2015 8:03 am wrote:On the big day that we needed Kewell back in May 2005, he limped off after a few minutes.

Gotta give credit to Kewell, his substitution paved the way for the magical comeback... Smicer Subed in for him!
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maguskwt » Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:36 pm

Reg » Fri Nov 27, 2015 8:03 am wrote:On the big day that we needed Kewell back in May 2005, he limped off after a few minutes.

Gotta give credit to Kewell, his substitution paved the way for the magical comeback... Smicer Subed in for him!
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby C-R » Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:46 pm

Had a long discussion on Studge with a mate the other night and neither of us could work something out, please if someone knows enlighten me (us)

When a club signs a player they take out insurance on them ? In case of injury, illness, death etc....  A type of life insurance, but with life insurance i would imagine you have to specify any pre existing conditions (which Studge probably had a few)

You can see where i am going with this, so 1) would the club be insured for his transfer fee or for his market value before or after injury ?  OR 2) could we sue the ***** out of the FA for messing him up in the first place ?

Like Studge, does the club have a leg to stand on ?
C-R
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Pig Catcher » Fri Nov 27, 2015 3:59 pm

Yes club's have insurance on players. But they will only be able to make a claim for genuine career ending situations that have had vigorous checks by the insurance company and their medical representatives. I'd imagine you would need something like an amputated leg to actually get a pay out. I think Chelsea bought a claim over Casiraghi but can't remember what happened.
Pig Catcher
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redshade » Fri Nov 27, 2015 4:12 pm

JK is no idiot and will not rely on DS. Im sure he has got other plans.
Will we get a striker on the same class as DS? I doubt that. But I'd take a consistent striker who is regularly fit and a decent poacher anyday.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby Penguins » Fri Nov 27, 2015 6:33 pm

The big problem is that the club has a set wage structure and a budget it has to follow.
As long as the highest earner isn't playing the club can't just go out and spend on another star demanding high wages.
Not that supporters might care but the club has to live in the real world where such things matter.
Right now Sturridge is blocking the club from getting in another top class player.

2019 FSG!!! FFS what were you thinking?
Penguins
LFC Super Member

Postby johnbarnes » Fri Nov 27, 2015 7:09 pm

C-R » Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:46 pm wrote:Had a long discussion on Studge with a mate the other night and neither of us could work something out, please if someone knows enlighten me (us)

When a club signs a player they take out insurance on them ? In case of injury, illness, death etc....  A type of life insurance, but with life insurance i would imagine you have to specify any pre existing conditions (which Studge probably had a few)

You can see where i am going with this, so 1) would the club be insured for his transfer fee or for his market value before or after injury ?  OR 2) could we sue the ***** out of the FA for messing him up in the first place ?

Like Studge, does the club have a leg to stand on ?

I doubt the club can do anything. However you making a very interesting point about taking the FA to court unrelated to DS.
One day, sooner or later a pro club WILL take the FA or some other governing body to court, for the loss of either a player or loss of a result due to poor officiating.
IMO it is inevitable simply because of the amount of money now in the game.
johnbarnes
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion