stevie g memories

Liverpool Football Club - The Players Lounge

Postby andy c legs » Sun May 17, 2015 9:29 pm

Steven Gerrard – one or two memories.

I started to write this in January, when it was announced that Stevie would be leaving, thought I’d share these with you.. Hope you enjoy them...

One of my very earliest recollections of Stevie was of reading one of those old Liverpool FC KOP newspapers and they were interviewing the very young Michael Owen. He said that there was this lad in the reserves who was very good. His name was Steven Gerrard.

It was cold day and when I went up to the Blackburn game I was still trying to make my own notes during the games. Though the game was LIVE I wanted to be there – there’s nothing like it. Houllier was the manager and it was late 1998. We were 2-0 up, I think and Ince had scored if I remember correctly. Then, about a couple of minutes from the end, a young lad came onto the pitch. He made an impression on me as I know I wrote that he played well. His name was Steven Gerrard and it was his home debut.

A Derby match, in Spring. A cracking game. We’d gone 1-0 down and fought back to make 3-1 with the in-famous Fowler line sniffing incident. That made me laugh! Then Everton scored again to make it 3-2. Very tight, very nervous. Then this young lad made not ONE but TWO goaline clearances. The lads name was of course – Steven Gerrard.. He was a hero. In fact all the reds were heroes that day!! A smashing win after which one of my two Everton mates, Gazza, hitting a lamppost near the ground and we all laughed, as a fella was leaning out of his window fluttering his reds flag and serenading Paddy Berger after his superb winner. A fab memory..

The next season – 1999/00, Houllier’s first proper season. A tight defence. Another Sunday live game. Sheffield Wednesday at home. Again going 1-0 down early on – a stunning shot from outside the area, into the Kop where I was. Then this lad again, what was he 17 or 18? Got hold of the ball, a rampaging run and beating three or so opponents and slotting home into the bottom corner of the Annie Road End. It was the equaliser and Gerrard had scored it. What a FIRST goal to score for your boyhood club. The reds went onto smash Wednesday 4-1, they had been inspired, not for the last time, by Stevie. It had been a privilege to have been there. A day or so later I recall being in the dentist and reading about him with the papers raving about another young English player.

In the Euro tournament where he was eagerly anticipating coming up against his more experienced Liverpool teammate, in the form of Didi Hamann. Stevie had by now made his England debut and showed the same enthusiasm in England’s 1-0 win. It was not the last time he would be on the winning side against the Germans.
Arsenal at home. Just before Christmas – 2000. Following a surprising victory over Man U, the reds were sent on their way in this game by what would become a typical Stevie strike. Receiving the ball outside the area he slammed it into the back of the Kop net!! Fan-tas-tic!! The reds ran out 4-0 winners in a game which Arsenal dominated. To add salt into the wounds, ‘God’ rounded off the scoring – two club legends scoring in the same game..

To prove that the strike was not an aberration, Stevie went and did it again and again, even in the same season. I was lucky enough to witness another fabulous strike late in March, 2001. His thunderous, 40 odd yard strike, which arrowed straight past Barthez will live long in the memory. I hit my knee on the seat in front of me but it was a tiny price to pay. Within 20 minutes or so God brought the ball down and arrowed another one into the Annie Road End to make it 2-0 against a United side that were running away with the League. Even when Spud got sent-off we lauded it over them by singing that we only had 10 men. My knee was still sore hours later – it was a war wound I was happy to have as the memory of seeing Stevie’s strike helped ease the pain and a few ales in celebration (as you do!).

For the last year I had a ring tone of ‘Steven Gerrard he’s big and f’in hard’, which used to annoy the hell out of my missus!! So, again, there was a constant reminder of just how superlative Stevie was.

A densely packed pub, just outside the stadium, a goal-kick away. Cardiff. A balmy day, with me nursing a hang-over. Just roaring, with beer going everywhere as we just could not believe that Stevie G had saved us yet, yet again!! What a strike that was from him, that 40 yarder!! V West Ham. Fab-u-lous!! No one else could have done that.. I stopped drinking as Dean and Davie joined us – they had been lucky enough to have been in the Millennium – scene of some great triumphs for us. I stayed sobre but was drunk enough on emotion. The joy and deep feeling of having won the cup – it had been down to Stevie G.

In my old house. All alone. Going to be layed-off. Then feeling despondent. Half-time. 3-0 down to AC. Just wondering how many more they would put on us.. Stevie G though got us going, God bless him and gave us hope in our and my heart. At least we would not be embarrassed too much. But his header gave us a platform for that incredible 6 minute spell when even Vladimir scored! Just dying to get his hands on old big ears and Johansen nearly lifting it before him. A new song instantly written there and then as Stevie G lifted the cup up 21 years since Rome and was going to bring it back home!! Whatever has happened since, even his slip v Chelsea, I console myself with the fact that if it’s fate then we can’t change it and if we did, we would not have had ISTANBUL.

Entering the arena, against the in-form Mancs. Not giving us a chance against them before-hand. We were that ***** but there we were, in a League Cup Final. All the noise of our end, all the banners, ‘Don’t nuke Iraq – nuke Manchester’, brilliant. From that moment on, being in amongst the real Scousers, yet again, I just knew we were going to win. Stevie G scored that long ranger and that was it. We did not look back after..Owen wrapped it up with a simple finish and I was in tears and ecstacy. Liverpool scoring always got to me more when I was there – as though a bubble burst and rain poured forth. So emotional.

Fantastic, fabulous. How many words describe him? Inspiring. Fearless. A Rock. A TRUE SCOUSER. Humble. A family man – obviously devoted to his three daughters.
It is nearly the final curtain. Anfield has given him a resounding send-off – that’s all that mattered but three points were no doubt top of Stevie’s list. It was not to be though.

Maybe a 40 yard screamer versus Stoke next week – just for old times sake – I am dreaming but he allowed us to dream, they do come true…

[b]I am and always will be in love with them...
andy c legs
LFC Basic Member

Postby glenbuck patriot » Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:18 pm

For those on here that wanted him gone; here's the reason why he should have stayed, Mr Liverpool;

https://youtu.be/Kert0Iv50QY

Unfortunately for us all, Mr Shiny Teeth stays to reek havoc with our heartstrings for as long as he's allowed to go on without costing our philanthropic owners too much money, whilst we let a living legend leave and replace him with Milner, Go Figure as the Yanks say.

To paraphrase Richard Keyes after winning IT for the fifth time, YOU WILL NEVER SEE HIS LIKE AGAIN!, not under Rodgers anyway he's too much of a threat to the vain b*st*rd!
Pirrie Labour Club 1976 Bill Shankly Prize giving at local ABA Championships.

"You've been booked in to do a three round exhibition bout tonight Bill."

" My fights don't last three rounds SON!"
glenbuck patriot

Postby Buck Rodgers » Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:33 pm

So you have used a thread started as a tribute to Gerrard to post personal abuse about the manager ? That's pretty disgraceful
Buck Rodgers
LFC Advanced Member

Postby woof woof ! » Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:33 pm

Buck Rodgers » Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:33 pm wrote:So you have used a thread started as a tribute to Gerrard to post personal abuse about the manager ? That's pretty disgraceful

Who gave you a big hat and called you sheriff ?

At least Glenbuck put up a great montage of Gerrard memories where as the only point of your post in a Gerrard tribute thread was to just take issue with another poster, wind your neck in  :kungfu:

:bowdown  @ Glenbuck, great video, felt quite moved seeing those shots of Stevie G as a "kid" with us, and yeah, We will never see his like again.   :(

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Buck Rodgers » Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:05 pm

woof woof ! » Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:33 pm wrote:
Buck Rodgers » Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:33 pm wrote:So you have used a thread started as a tribute to Gerrard to post personal abuse about the manager ? That's pretty disgraceful

Who gave you a big hat and called you sheriff ?

At least Glenbuck put up a great montage of Gerrard memories where as the only point of your post in a Gerrard tribute thread was to just take issue with another poster, wind your neck in  :kungfu:

:bowdown  @ Glenbuck, great video, felt quite moved seeing those shots of Stevie G as a "kid" with us, and yeah, We will never see his like again.   :(

Nothing to do with being a sheriff

Someone started a great thread with a cracking OP about one of our greatest players for it to be followed up by a post full of abuse towards the manager - it's pathetic , he already has numerous threads dedicated towards him full of abuse

What exactly does BR have to do with a Gerrard tribute thread
Buck Rodgers
LFC Advanced Member

Postby woof woof ! » Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:09 pm

Glenbuck posted a montage of Gerrard "memories", his references to Brendan Rodgers whether you agree with them or not were supplemental.

You yourself however despite decrying his inclusion of his distaste for Rodgers in a "Gerrard tribute thread"  weigh in with a post that has nothing to do with Gerrard  but instead is all about your disapproval of Glenbucks' post.

Get off your self righteous soapbox, yours is not the only opinion that matters.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby glenbuck patriot » Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:53 pm

woof woof ! » Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:09 pm wrote:Glenbuck posted a montage of Gerrard "memories", his references to Brendan Rodgers whether you agree with them or not were supplemental.

You yourself however despite decrying his inclusion of his distaste for Rodgers in a "Gerrard tribute thread"  weigh in with a post that has nothing to do with Gerrard  but instead is all about your disapproval of Glenbucks' post.

Get off your self righteous soapbox, yours is not the only opinion that matters.

Bugle's Sounding last post;

(For a while, going back into exile find it much easier than dealing with............ well you know !) Enjoy as I have;

https://youtu.be/1gwPJIZtZrg

https://youtu.be/RjDBOjt0t8c

https://youtu.be/qxonke_2xQQ

https://youtu.be/Ub9eBi49BMY

I'd like to thank the You-tuber whose downloaded these, non of this is my own work, but I thought I'd share it as I don't believe it's been in the thread.

Adios,

glenbuck patriot

Postby C-R » Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:44 am

Scored his first goal for L.A. Galaxy in the early hours, it can be seen here... https://vine.co/v/er2qUPiAhbB

He also wore LFC shin pads  :buttrock  :buttrock
C-R
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby damjan193 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:49 pm

damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby lakes10 » Sun Sep 13, 2015 6:28 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34235825

Steven Gerrard: Rafael Benitez was cold and controlling
Steven Gerrard says his relationship with former Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez was "distant and emotionless".

The 35-year-old midfielder, who left Anfield in May after 17 years, revealed the details in his autobiography. 

"I can pick up the phone and speak to all of my previous Liverpool managers, except for Rafa," said Gerrard.

"It's a shame because we shared the biggest night of our careers - the 2005 Champions League victory in Istanbul - yet there is no bond between us."

Former England captain Gerrard insists the "frostiness" made him a better player as he had "a hunger" to get a compliment from the Spaniard.

"On a basic human level I prefer a likeable manager, such as Gerard Houllier or Brendan Rodgers, but in terms of football I really don't mind working with a colder man," added Gerrard, who joined LA Galaxy this summer.

"An emotionless and distant relationship with the likes of Rafa Benitez and Fabio Capello can sometimes produce more success."

Facts, facts, facts
In January 2009, with Liverpool top of the Premier League, then-Manchester United boss Alex Ferguson commented that nerves might ruin the Reds' title bid.

Benitez, in a bizarre and passionate news conference, responded to this by pulling out a sheet of paper and reading out a list of accusations about Ferguson's conduct regarding referees, the FA's Respect campaign and fixture lists. Benitez backed up his points by saying "this is a fact".

But Gerrard, who played 710 times for Liverpool, was left cringing by the exchange.

"Rafa kept saying 'fact, fact, fact' and I could not believe what I was hearing," said Gerrard. "I was grabbing the couch, digging my fingers into the arms, feeling embarrassed for him.

"When I met up with England, all the Manchester United players told me Fergie was just laughing at Rafa, saying: 'I've got him, I've got him'."

Benitez left Liverpool in June 2010 and is now in charge at Real Madrid
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby glenbuck patriot » Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:59 pm

Here's all Steven's Goals, all 186 of them, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNnsv88Ea6s ENJOY!

glenbuck patriot

Postby johnbarnes » Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:56 pm

glenbuck patriot » Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:59 pm wrote:

Here's all Steven's Goals, all 186 of them, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNnsv88Ea6s ENJOY!

Thanks for sharing the link!
It's no wonder that today's footballers surround themselves with BULLSH!T pacifier's.
As a pro, watching that I'd give up and just live off my money and fame too.
johnbarnes
LFC Super Member

Return to Liverpool FC - The Players Lounge