Liverpool to appoint Jurgen Klopp on three-year deal

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Reg » Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:08 am

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/footba ... -week.html

Liverpool to appoint Jurgen Klopp on three-year deal by the end of week

German manager has been the Liverpool owners' dream managerial choice ever since taking over the club as far back as 2010

By Chris Bascombe10:30PM BST 05 Oct 2015 Comments105 Comments

Liverpool plan to confirm Jürgen Klopp’s appointment as manager by the end of the week after the German coach indicated he will accept the club’s offer to move to Anfield.

Klopp’s recruitment now looks a for­mality with negotiations expected to be completed over the next few days. The former Borussia Dortmund manager has no qualms about working within the existing club structure and it is understood that he will sign a three‑year deal. It is expected that he will head to Merseyside in the next 48 hours for further negotiations, with an announcement possible as soon as Friday.

The Liverpool owners, Fenway Sports Group, are moving swiftly to secure Klopp, twice a Bundesliga winner as coach, to ensure that he has a week to prepare for the next Premier League fixture with Totten­ham Hotspur.

Klopp, 48, did not disguise his eager­ness to discuss the position and he has long been seen as FSG’S prototype manager. He was their dream choice on taking over the club as far back as 2010 but Klopp was out of their reach as he enjoyed his peak spell in German football. Liverpool wanted him again when Kenny Dalglish was dismissed in 2012 but were frustrated as Klopp remained loyal to Dortmund.

His availability now is undoubtedly a key reason for the departure of Brendan Rodgers so soon into this campaign. There was a realisation that a manager of Klopp’s calibre would not be on the market for long, with numerous clubs pur­suing him. The appreciation is mutual, with Klopp having made it clear that Liverpool were one of the few clubs that could tempt him to end a year’s sabbatical. This helped to focus minds; Liverpool had to grasp the nettle.

Liverpool’s players return to training today, overseen by coaches Gary McAllister and Sean O’Driscoll. Having been appointed by Rodgers last summer, the staff face an uncer­tain future as they wait to see if there is any job for them following another overhaul.
Klopp will be allowed to hire his own backroom team comprising those who worked with him in Dortmund. They are likely to include Peter Krawietz, who was Klopp’s assistant at the Westfalenstadion and the Bosnian Zeljko Buvac.

Unlike Brendan Rodgers, Jurgen Klopp has no qualms about the transfer structure at Liverpool.
Liverpool do not want their academy to be affected by the ­managerial changes, however. Alex Inglethorpe, whom Rodgers appointed to oversee the youth structure, has been informed that his job is not under review. It remains to be seen if he decides to stay following his friend’s departure, but Liverpool ­cannot afford further instability in their junior ranks.

The Anfield hierarchy must also decide whether to take the opportunity to reintroduce one of their modern legends to the coaching staff. Steven Gerrard and Jamie ­Carragher were expected to be offered positions once they stopped playing for Liverpool but none ­materialised. Although Carragher has media commitments, Gerrard’s first season at LA Galaxy ends in December (at the latest). He was offered the chance to train back at Anfield once the North American season ends but that was under Rodgers.

Now there is a chance to discuss the possibility of a back-room role for the former captain. Gerrard would have a decision to make early in his LA career if Klopp was receptive to the idea of him completing his coaching education back on home turf.
A combination of continental wisdom and local knowledge has served Liverpool well in the past. The partnership of Gérard Houllier and Phil Thompson maintained the club’s identity at the start of the millennium, while the Rafa Benítez era was at its best when the Spanish tactician had a Scouse heart and soul with him both on the pitch – in Gerrard and Carragher – and his most trusted advisers were connected to the city.

Rodgers, meanwhile, left England for a break in Spain to recover from the disappointment of losing his job. He released a statement courtesy of the League Managers Association thanking Liverpool for giving him a chance to work at ­Anfield. “I am, of course, incredibly disappointed to be leaving Liverpool,” Rodgers said.

“It has been both an honour and a privilege to manage one of the game’s great clubs for the last three years. I expect to see them continue to grow and develop over the ­coming weeks and I wish them and my successor well for the rest of the season. Liverpool has a magnificent football heritage and I have nothing but respect and admiration for the history, tradition and values that make the city and the club so exceptional.

“As well as my players, I would like to thank everyone connected with the club; Fenway Sports Group, the Liverpool directors, in particular Ian Ayre, my coaching staff, the staff throughout the club, the volunteers, the academy staff and its young players and of course the amazing Liverpool fans for their unwavering support, passion and dedication, which has made my time at the club so special.

“Finally, I would like to give a special mention to John W. Henry, Tom Werner and Mike Gordon. They gave me this great opportunity and, even though we will no longer be working together, I am sure our relationship and friendship will continue into the future.”
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:20 am

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/foot ... 81071.html

Jurgen Klopp asks for clarity on transfer policy at Liverpool

SIMON HUGHES Tuesday 6 October 2015 00:18

Jürgen Klopp will become Liverpool’s new manager providing an agreement can be made on how the club conducts its transfer business.

Discussions between Anfield officials and the 48-year-old are at an advanced stage after meetings held yesterday close to Liverpool’s London offices in Bloomsbury. Klopp, who takes much of the credit for Borussia Dortmund’s transformation from Bundesliga relegation fodder to two-time champions, worked closely in Germany with chief executive Hans-Joachim Watzke as well as sporting director Michael Zorc on the issue of recruitment and is understood to be seeking clarity on who would have the final say at Liverpool.

Klopp formed a close bond with Zorc particularly – a former player at Dortmund – and it is possible that he might request someone of a similar stature fills the same role at Liverpool, a job that would bridge the gap between the boardroom and management. Potentially, such a move would render irrelevant the club’s much-criticised transfer committee.

Last week, it was said in the German media that Klopp was being considered by Bayern Munich as a potential replacement for Pep Guardiola should he choose to leave Bavaria next summer. Since then, contract negotiations have begun and although both Manchester clubs would like to appoint him in the future, it now seems he will remain in Germany for at least another 18 months.

Klopp would not be willing to wait for that long and now his thoughts are with Liverpool, a job that attracts him because of the club’s history and the enormity of task – one that will be as testing as when he started out at Dortmund in the summer of 2008.

Stefan Effenberg, the former Germany international and a friend of Klopp’s, said a deal with Liverpool was close. “When you come to a team and everything is 100 per cent it’s not a challenge,” he said. “This would be a challenge for Jürgen Klopp: to build and to create something new.”
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby andy_g » Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:47 pm

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby C-R » Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:08 pm

The word is that he has landed in Liverpool
C-R
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redshade » Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:44 pm

Im going to order my red cap.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:50 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p034g5nf

Sensible assessment ,I always think its good to hear from someone who has worked closely with the man.
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:01 pm

Fantastic. Looks like it was a done deal a while ago, which probably explains the decision to ditch BR after just a 1-1 draw at Everton.

Klopp is exactly what we need. He's young, energetic, good at working with young players and a PROVEN WINNER. He's also use to working within a budget and can sniff out a bargain.

I've not been this excited since we appointed Rafa and the muted caution from our rivals speaks volumes, because they know he's mustard.  :nod
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby devaney » Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:50 pm

RED BEERGOGGLES » Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:50 pm wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p034g5nf

Sensible assessment ,I always think its good to hear from someone who has worked closely with the man.

All good stuff but the unfortunate thing is that the guys stick together like glue !! No doubt somebody that worked closely with Rogers at Swansea would have made similar overtures. He's definitely and upgrade on what we had bit like going from a Lada to a Skoda  :laugh:
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby only me » Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:51 pm

This is very exciting and i hope to see him in Red shirt by end of week.
He is one of the brightest minds in modern football ,his previous team played football only 2nd to Barca's.
Wishing for the best.
only me
LFC Super Member

Postby LFC1990 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:01 pm

devaney wrote:
RED BEERGOGGLES » Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:50 pm wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p034g5nf

All good stuff but the unfortunate thing is that the guys stick together like glue !! No doubt somebody that worked closely with Rogers at Swansea would have made similar overtures. He's definitely and upgrade on what we had bit like going from a Lada to a Skoda  :laugh:

Very disrespectful to a man who has won the bundesliga twice and got to a CL final

The master and his apprentice
LFC1990
LFC Super Member

Postby C-R » Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:04 pm

A couple of very reliable sources, who broke the news originally and are saying that there could be an anouncment as soon as tomorrow
C-R
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:13 pm

C-R » Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:04 pm wrote:A couple of very reliable sources, who broke the news originally and are saying that there could be an anouncment as soon as tomorrow

:buttrock  :buttrock  :buttrock
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:17 pm

devaney » Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:50 pm wrote:

Anyway the designated driver has been relieved of his duties ,so at least we can finally steer away from 'laughing stock' ,which was never a place I wanted to visit ,let alone pitch a tent !  :;):
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby C-R » Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:55 pm

Right was told Klopp to be announced Wednesday by 2 good contacts who work at the club, Since then been told by someone at a newspaper it won't be tomorrow. But the deal is done, he says nothing to be concerned about though, Klopp will be the new manager and will sign a 3 year contract, although would like to stay longer
C-R
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby johnbarnes » Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:59 pm

RED BEERGOGGLES » Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:17 pm wrote:
devaney » Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:50 pm wrote:

Anyway the designated driver has been relieved of his duties ,so at least we can finally steer away from 'laughing stock' ,which was never a place I wanted to visit ,let alone pitch a tent !  :;):

^^^ :nod ^^^
johnbarnes
LFC Super Member

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion