Potential new manager

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:45 pm

Tony Barrett is saying a 3 year deal is being discussed right now and Klopp wants to bring 2 of his assistants.
One or two ITK's saying deal is already done and might be announced as early as tomorrow.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby damjan193 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:57 pm

I'm pretty sure it's going to be Klopp, and although initially I wanted him here, after thinking about it and hearing/reading thoughts from others I'm not really sure now. Klopp is probably my favorite manager, love his style, both managerial and personal. My friends thought I'd be over the moon about him coming to us but with Carlo available I'm not really sure who's the better option. Let's see some pros and cons.

Jurgen Klopp

Pros:
- loves and knows how to play the underdog
- very passionate and a great motivator, something we could really use right now

Cons:
-has only managed in Germany
-mostly uses one formation, the 4-5-1 (good shout ace)
-and finally, the one I'm really concerned about, he asks the team to be at 110% at every game. Most would consider this a pro, but I'm not so sure. Is it really possible for a team to be constantly full-on in this league? Someone said that there's a theory that his team burned out, that's why Dortmund were so bad last season. It's actually not a theory it's a fact, and it will happen a lot sooner in England IMO.

Carlo Ancelotti

Pros:
-Experienced
-One of the most successful managers in world football
-Has managed in England

Cons:
-He's mostly managed rich teams. I don't agree with this though, the teams he managed early in his career and the Milan team after the 2005 final were far from rich. In fact, the Milan team that won the 2007 Champions League was almost as bad as ours was in 2005!

That's all I could think of. If someone could add a few pros or cons to either manager or dispute some of the ones I've put up I'd appreciate it.

FSG have a huge decision on their hands, and a very difficult one as well. I really wouldn't know what to do if I were them honestly. I hope they get it right.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby aCe' » Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:16 am

I'll comment and add to your lists Damjan... Very similar to my feelings regarding Klopp and Ancelotti. Initially, I thought Klopp was the better fit for the same reasons as everyone : can operate on a budget, signs unknown players and his passion for the game is contagious. However, the more I compared him to the alternative (Ancelotti), the more it became apparent to me that the 2 arent even in the same league as managers.

Klopp is going to get the job and he's a fantastic second choice as far as I'm concerned. I would have preferred an Ancelotti+(Carra or Gerrard) management team but I understand how unlikely it is.

I'll address a few points you and others have made:

- Ancelotti would only come for 2-3 seasons- Klopp is interested in the project.

I don't know about everyone else but I'm not interested in any project. I'd want a manager to come in, give assurances about a top4 place next season, and a title challenge in the seasons to follow. If Ancelotti comes in and fails to deliver after 2-3 seasons then I'm sure the fans will turn on him and ask for his head. It'll be the same under Klopp, Mourinho, Rafa, etc. If he wants to leave after 3 seasons to manage Bayern, Italy or whoever, he either leaves having achieved, or he leaves having failed. Either way it works for us. He's been a 'short term manager' for Chelsea, PSG, and Madrid most recently. Every one of these clubs would consider him if results start to go wayward because he's won titles during his short tenures. Ancelotti would demand more from the owners, he won't come to challenge for 4th; I'm not sure the same could be said for Klopp.

- Ancelotti has succeeded at the richest clubs - if we were owned by Arabs he would have been the right pick.

Over the past 5 seasons(2010 till the latest transfer window), only Chelsea, City, and Real Madrid have spent more than we have in transfers. We've spent close to 450mill (around 300m under Rodgers) and what do we have to show for it ? Coutinho and Sturridge maybe. Having rich Arab owners helps. It allows us to make mistakes in the transfer market that can be rectified in the next window. The problem we have at the club is that we make mistakes and them compound them in trying to rectify them (see Alonso, Torres, Suarez, etc.). I have no doubt that the money we had would have been spent better by an Ancelotti than it was by both Kenny and Rodgers, and I'd put good money on Ancelotti being a bigger draw to top players than Klopp.

Now for some more pros and cons.

Jurgen Klopp

Pros:
- Knowledge of the German league; If theres a player in the German league who is good enough for the top level and is yet to be snapped by Bayern, he'll know about him. I expect him to bring in a few players from Germany early on.
- Interviews and press conferences. Something we have complained about quite a lot on the forum. This.guy.is.entertainment.gold.
- Popularity. He hasnt signed yet and the fans are already in love with him.

Cons:
- Ambition. Will he demand more from our board (money and control) than he did at Dortmund ?
- Transfers. He lost most of his best players and seemed to struggle to replace them with equal quality.

Carlo Ancelotti

Pros:
-Ive already given enough

Cons:
- Hasnt managed a struggling side lacking in quality in over 10 years.
- Would demand high wages which would make getting rid of him a harder task if results dont go our way
- Liverpool fans like seeing passion from a manager and Ancelotti is as balanced an individual as they come (Pellegrini like in a sense). Players who played under him love him but fans might use it against him if results are poor.
- Could be tempted if a bigger job comes calling.
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby leeroy74 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:47 am

I'm not sure Klopp is the best way to go but he'll get my 100% support if he is appointed, just like BR did right to the end. Good or bad, you support your own.

As for ancelotti, he another strange one. He's probably too qualified for LFC, Klopp however is too much the other way, he's an unknown entity in this league.

I think it'll be Klopp, unless FSG have someone else up their sleeve...
leeroy74
LFC Super Member

Postby leeroy74 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:18 am

I think if BR combs his hair different and calls himself Roger Brendan he'll get an interview for the job.
leeroy74
LFC Super Member

Postby Mikz » Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:52 am

leeroy74 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:18 am wrote:I think if BR combs his hair different and calls himself Roger Brendan he'll get an interview for the job.

:laugh:  :laugh:
'' Gary lineker may well have scored 5 goals in 5 minutes , but i think you have to say, what else did he do '' ...Jimmy Hill
Mikz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RedAnt » Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:26 am

leeroy74 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:18 am wrote:I think if BR combs his hair different and calls himself Roger Brendan he'll get an interview for the job.

Brenda Rodgered
"The S*n: The paper you wipe your ars.e on and more sh*t comes off the paper"
RedAnt

Postby leeroy74 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:21 pm

Just read an article on BBC.co.uk that listed potential candidates for the vacant position. Klopp, Ancelloti, DeBoar, Koeman and that Walter Mazzarri bloke.
It would be so ironic if we appointed Southamptons manager after Brendan spent so much money taking all their players ha ha
leeroy74
LFC Super Member

Postby damjan193 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:05 pm

aCe' » Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:16 am wrote:I'll comment and add to your lists Damjan... Very similar to my feelings regarding Klopp and Ancelotti. Initially, I thought Klopp was the better fit for the same reasons as everyone : can operate on a budget, signs unknown players and his passion for the game is contagious. However, the more I compared him to the alternative (Ancelotti), the more it became apparent to me that the 2 arent even in the same league as managers.

Klopp is going to get the job and he's a fantastic second choice as far as I'm concerned. I would have preferred an Ancelotti+(Carra or Gerrard) management team but I understand how unlikely it is.

I'll address a few points you and others have made:

- Ancelotti would only come for 2-3 seasons- Klopp is interested in the project.

I don't know about everyone else but I'm not interested in any project. I'd want a manager to come in, give assurances about a top4 place next season, and a title challenge in the seasons to follow. If Ancelotti comes in and fails to deliver after 2-3 seasons then I'm sure the fans will turn on him and ask for his head. It'll be the same under Klopp, Mourinho, Rafa, etc. If he wants to leave after 3 seasons to manage Bayern, Italy or whoever, he either leaves having achieved, or he leaves having failed. Either way it works for us. He's been a 'short term manager' for Chelsea, PSG, and Madrid most recently. Every one of these clubs would consider him if results start to go wayward because he's won titles during his short tenures. Ancelotti would demand more from the owners, he won't come to challenge for 4th; I'm not sure the same could be said for Klopp.

- Ancelotti has succeeded at the richest clubs - if we were owned by Arabs he would have been the right pick.

Over the past 5 seasons(2010 till the latest transfer window), only Chelsea, City, and Real Madrid have spent more than we have in transfers. We've spent close to 450mill (around 300m under Rodgers) and what do we have to show for it ? Coutinho and Sturridge maybe. Having rich Arab owners helps. It allows us to make mistakes in the transfer market that can be rectified in the next window. The problem we have at the club is that we make mistakes and them compound them in trying to rectify them (see Alonso, Torres, Suarez, etc.). I have no doubt that the money we had would have been spent better by an Ancelotti than it was by both Kenny and Rodgers, and I'd put good money on Ancelotti being a bigger draw to top players than Klopp.

Now for some more pros and cons.

Jurgen Klopp

Pros:
- Knowledge of the German league; If theres a player in the German league who is good enough for the top level and is yet to be snapped by Bayern, he'll know about him. I expect him to bring in a few players from Germany early on.
- Interviews and press conferences. Something we have complained about quite a lot on the forum. This.guy.is.entertainment.gold.
- Popularity. He hasnt signed yet and the fans are already in love with him.

Cons:
- Ambition. Will he demand more from our board (money and control) than he did at Dortmund ?
- Transfers. He lost most of his best players and seemed to struggle to replace them with equal quality.

Carlo Ancelotti

Pros:
-Ive already given enough

Cons:
- Hasnt managed a struggling side lacking in quality in over 10 years.
- Would demand high wages which would make getting rid of him a harder task if results dont go our way
- Liverpool fans like seeing passion from a manager and Ancelotti is as balanced an individual as they come (Pellegrini like in a sense). Players who played under him love him but fans might use it against him if results are poor.
- Could be tempted if a bigger job comes calling.

Good post ace. The fact that Ancelotti will be a more attractive option for players that we want to sign is going to be of big help. We were missing that a lot with Brendan.

The owners have made this a bit less exciting than I hoped though :D. Very likely that's it's going to be Klopp.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby redshade » Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:21 pm

Compared to BR, klopp may take europa  more seriously and with his experience we nay do a lot better in the competition than presumed.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby johnbarnes » Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:32 pm

redshade » Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:21 pm wrote:Compared to BR, klopp may take europa  more seriously and with his experience we nay do a lot better in the competition than presumed.

I dare say that his team selections for the so called 'lower competitions' could be similar to the previous manager. The difference being that a new tactical outlook and imperial knowledge skills will be on display.

HOWEVER;
1. New manager will need to know his best starting 11 ASAP
2. New manager will want to get to know as much as the squad ASAP

By all accounts our No.1 option has already studied the current squad and has been doing so for sometime now.
Don't be too surprised that IF we have a new manger installed by the weekend, the team bus to Spuds may have some fresh faces on it as he will have spent his first week with the boys who are not on International duty.
Whatever happens; IT'S EXCITING!
johnbarnes
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:40 pm

The danger of appointing someone like Ancelotti is after spending the last decade managing the likes of Chelsea, PSG and Real Madrid (i.e clubs with tons of cash and a realistic chance of winning things) he may well see us as a step down, I don't necessarily mean in terms of size (we are a far bigger club than either Chelsea or PSG) but in terms of the potential for success. For example someone who has won the CL 3 times is not going to get fired up by the prospect of trying to finish fourth. He comes across as cool, calm and pragmatic as well. Pragmatists arent good when you are trying to upset the odds.

One of the reasons Klopp is coming here is because he is a footballing romantic, he could easily get a bigger job than us if he was prepared to sit and wait but he knows we are probably the most emotionally driven club in world football, the rational part of his brain is probably telling him to swerve us at all costs but the other 99% of his sentient being wants to be part of this club because he runs on emotion too.
He could hang on 6 months and go to Bayern or one of the 2 spanish Giants and win trophies galore but I think he doesn't just want silverware he wants a connection with the fans, he doesn't want to go somewhere where the odds are in his favour he wants to upset them, he's got a touch of the Bill Shanklys about him in that respect, the old scottish warrior poet believed in people power and he believed that if the holy trinity of manager, team and fanbase became one then mountains could be moved, obviously the game has moved on but I think Klopp is cut from the same cloth, even in these cynical times he believes big hearts can beat a big balance sheets, as fans lets get behind him and prove him right.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby johnbarnes » Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:21 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:40 pm wrote:The danger of appointing someone like Ancelotti is after spending the last decade managing the likes of Chelsea, PSG and Real Madrid (i.e clubs with tons of cash and a realistic chance of winning things) he may well see us as a step down, I don't necessarily mean in terms of size (we are a far bigger club than either Chelsea or PSG) but in terms of the potential for success. For example someone who has won the CL 3 times is not going to get fired up by the prospect of trying to finish fourth. He comes across as cool, calm and pragmatic as well. Pragmatists arent good when you are trying to upset the odds.

One of the reasons Klopp is coming here is because he is a footballing romantic, he could easily get a bigger job than us if he was prepared to sit and wait but he knows we are probably the most emotionally driven club in world football, the rational part of his brain is probably telling him to swerve us at all costs but the other 99% of his sentient being wants to be part of this club because he runs on emotion too.
He could hang on 6 months and go to Bayern or one of the 2 spanish Giants and win trophies galore but I think he doesn't just want silverware he wants a connection with the fans, he doesn't want to go somewhere where the odds are in his favour he wants to upset them, he's got a touch of the Bill Shanklys about him in that respect, the old scottish warrior poet believed in people power and he believed that if the holy trinity of manager, team and fanbase became one then mountains could be moved, obviously the game has moved on but I think Klopp is cut from the same cloth, even in these cynical times he believes big hearts can beat a big balance sheets, as fans lets get behind him and prove him right.

:nod  :hearts  :buttrock
johnbarnes
LFC Super Member

Postby redshade » Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:53 pm

I like this new euphoric phase we are going through now. Season seemed soo bleak however there is a spark set off which has excited us all.
We are not expecting miracles and consistent result asap, all be it if klopp takes over im sure the end of the tunnel we will see a bright light.
Klopp will gain the fans love really quick. His a manager that connects with the fans, one of those charismatic figures.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby maguskwt » Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:08 pm

Read somewhere that Klopp will not overhaul the team and will give chance to thee siting players we have. That's nice to know!
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion