Job too big for Rodgers?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Is the job too big for Rodgers and last season was a flash in the pan down to Suarez carrying us?

Yes
55%
No
36%
Not sure
9%

Total votes : 78

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:28 am

maguskwt » Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:10 am wrote:
parchpea » Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:09 pm wrote:What I feel FSG fail to grasp is how challenging it is to keep a manager when the fans turn, and we drew blood on Rodgers a while back and then Stoke happened.

Even if a manager is red hot fans just tire of them much sooner now and because of high turn over generally there are always good options waiting to come in.

If we get mauled at United which I dont think would surprise anyone then I cant see a way back for him and if FSG dont act then guns will be turned on them soon enough.

And yet football is unpredictable, we may just go on and win at old Trafford, and then we still would have good start to the season. That's why I don't think we should take the West Ham result as a definite things to come. The West Ham result may have been a good wake up call.

This is about more than a handful of results, this is about his modus operandi, this is about how he ditches his coaching staff and footballing philosophy at the drop of a hat, this is about how he says one thing but does another, this is about how he plays political games to the detriment of the club, this is about how he picks players not based on merit but wether they are a member of his 'prem proven' cabal.
This is his fourth season in charge and our number 1 CM pairing is Henderson and a 30 year old James Milner, this is his fourth season in charge and our number 1 CB pairing is Skrtel and Lovren, this from a manager who talked about creating a Barcelona on the banks of the Mersey.
We could beat United 10-0 for all I care this fella hasn't got what it takes.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby 7_Kewell » Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:02 pm

Victory tomorrow will be great, but ultimately it'll delay the inevitable. BR's time is coming to an end and both he and the fans know it.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:18 pm

7_Kewell » Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:02 pm wrote:Victory tomorrow will be great, but ultimately it'll delay the inevitable. BR's time is coming to an end and both he and the fans know it.

We don't play tomorrow mate, it's an international break, England play San Marino.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby red till i die!! » Fri Sep 04, 2015 5:05 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:28 am wrote:
This is about more than a handful of results, this is about his modus operandi, this is about how he ditches his coaching staff and footballing philosophy at the drop of a hat, this is about how he says one thing but does another, this is about how he plays political games to the detriment of the club, this is about how he picks players not based on merit but wether they are a member of his 'prem proven' cabal.
This is his fourth season in charge and our number 1 CM pairing is Henderson and a 30 year old James Milner, this is his fourth season in charge and our number 1 CB pairing is Skrtel and Lovren, this from a manager who talked about creating a Barcelona on the banks of the Mersey.

:bowdown
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:36 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:28 am wrote:
This  is about more than a handful of results, this is about his modus operandi, this is about how he ditches his coaching staff and footballing philosophy at the drop of a hat, this is about how he says one thing but does another, this is about how he plays political games to the detriment of the club, this is about how he picks players not based on merit but wether they are a member of his 'prem proven' cabal.

Top post fella
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Mikz » Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:33 pm

red till i die!! » Fri Sep 04, 2015 4:05 pm wrote:
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:28 am wrote:

:buttrock
'' Gary lineker may well have scored 5 goals in 5 minutes , but i think you have to say, what else did he do '' ...Jimmy Hill
Mikz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maguskwt » Sat Sep 05, 2015 1:21 am

parchpea » Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:09 pm wrote:What I feel FSG fail to grasp is how challenging it is to keep a manager when the fans turn, and we drew blood on Rodgers a while back and then Stoke happened.

Even if a manager is red hot fans just tire of them much sooner now and because of high turn over generally there are always good options waiting to come in.

If we get mauled at United which I dont think would surprise anyone then I cant see a way back for him and if FSG dont act then guns will be turned on them soon enough.

And yet football is unpredictable, we may just go on and win at old Trafford, and then we still would have good start to the season. That's why I don't think we should take the West Ham result as a definite things to come. The West Ham result may have been a good wake up call.

And yet if we do beat United 10-0...  :laugh:

Anyway,  yakka, so are you saying in your opinion, Rodgers should be sacked right now and we should hire Klopp? And if klopp refuses, what then?
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Boocity » Sat Sep 05, 2015 6:34 am

Good post  :buttrock
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kash_Mountain » Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:22 am

"And yet if we do beat United 10-0...  :laugh:

Anyway,  yakka, so are you saying in your opinion, Rodgers should be sacked right now and we should hire Klopp? And if klopp refuses, what then?"

Most on here have said that he needed to be replaced in the summer, me included. FSG decide to keep him on for reasons I can't fathom. Changing mid season is stupid because there really is not much choice now (Yep, FSG are totally insane for not getting rid.....).  With BR's tactical acumen and man-management style etc, he is totally destroying the club from the inside. I can't see FSG making any changes until next summer, so another year of c**p. However, if they  did try, and asked Klopp, he says no, how about Unai Emery or Jorge Jesus, bearing in mind, the choices are limited mid season.

Stupid stupid FSG.

ABSOLUTE STRENGTH       

ImageImage
Kash_Mountain

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:39 am

Maguskwt - mate under normal circumstances I would not be calling for managerial change this soon, especially when the manager in question i) took us to second place, and ii) played good footy, but I think Rodgers has totally lost his way.
When Rodgers first arrived here 3 years ago he spoke about playing a similar style to Barcelona, he told our CB's to play out from the back and if there was any f[uck] up's he would take full responsibility because he was asking them to play in a style that was alien to them.
Even when results weren't great it was hard not to admire that, here was a young coach determined to play progressive football and someone prepared to accept the blame for any flaws in his players games. It would have been the easiest thing in the world for a coach to say these players aren't good enough for the style I want to play and shovel the blame onto them but to be fair to Brendan he didn't do that.
Even his biggest critics (who after that Being Liverpool documentary thought he was the second coming of David Brent) admired his footballing principles, everyone who plays or watches the game knows that trying to put together a side that plays progressive football is not easy, the easiest thing for a manager to do is go down the David Moyes, Sam Allardyce, Tony Pulis route of swallowing the English F.A's coaching manual, going direct and making yourself hard to beat.
For a while Rodgers looked the real deal, he really did.
Imo though 3 years down the line he has pretty much done a 180 on the things we admired, instead of accepting responsibility for flaws in his players games he now hangs them out to dry, he ditched the coaching staff that had us playing progressive football (and took us to second btw), he has favoured prem proven yeomen like Milner and Lovren over artisans like Ilorri and Markovic, he has ditched his footballing principles in favour of the Moyes/Allardyce approach and he seems obsessed with playing political games behind the scene's.
I don't think it's me or the liverpool fanbase who have necessarily changed position, I think it's Rodgers, imo he's not the same manager that walked through the door 3 years ago.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby JC_81 » Sat Sep 05, 2015 1:13 pm

Good, well thought out post Yakka, even if I don't agree with all of it.

I'll try and give it a proper response later if I get time.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby parchpea » Sat Sep 05, 2015 1:36 pm

Rodgers is treading water now and knows it and changed his backroom staff for inspiration.

Completely lost that swagger the day he walked in the door and has fallen into biggest trap at Liverpool by
buying swarms of average players.

The odd things is that the season we finished second, albeit with an outstanding player in Suarez, Rodgers
was blocked in the market and had to work with a smaller hand yet produced a better team and improved
individuals.

Its only with money he seems to struggle, and until we find a manager that buys quality rather than quantity
we will continue to stagnate and produce ordinary teams.

Even this window, Ings and Origi seems to offer little improvement other than extra bodies and there is £15m
quids worth in fees alone there sat on the bench or in the stands.
Last edited by parchpea on Sat Sep 05, 2015 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby ethanr » Sat Sep 05, 2015 2:38 pm

Excellent post Yakka.

I've supported him through thick and thin since he's arrived, but there's been something about him that I felt has recently changed that's made me feel uneasy towards him, and I haven't been able to put my finger on it. I think you hit it right on the head, Yakka. It's easy to come in and claim you'll take responsibility, and even being accountable in the beginning is easier because people are more forgiving, and appreciate that rare quality. But the pointed finger has began to shift- I was very surprised when the handful of backroom staff were let go. Politics are dangerous, and we don't know exactly what's going on behind the scenes. The owners are very successful business men, and they could have Brendan up against the wall with no options. I don't think that's the case, but if he keeps playing politics like it seems he has, he's going to back himself deeper and deeper into a corner.

Well said.
DESPITE THE FACT I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA...
ethanr

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Sep 05, 2015 7:00 pm

Shelvey is a better CM than anyone we currently have at the club as well, which isn't exactly a ringing endorsement of Brendan's judgement either.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby red till i die!! » Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:26 pm

Was kinda disgusted myself that he let Shelvey go and especially for the fee we got for him. We then went and spent that + another 2 million on alberto who was never given a chance either and has been sent out every season on loan since. rodgers talks about the youth and how he is the right man to bring them on but look at the player shelvey is becoming and all at the over the hill age of 23. I'm not saying he is the next Zidane or anything but as said above he is better than what we currently have.
I think far too many players suffer at the hands of the man who claims he is a great coach when all he does is adopt a sink or swim approach  :nod  sticks a sail into anything that floats and when the wind drops he jumps ship. He also makes his officers walk the plank  :D If left long enough also he will run us aground and I wouldn't put it past him to do a Schettino either.

I have a mate who is a Swansea fan and he laughs his head off thinking about the situation now. He was pi$$ed when he left for us after all the shyte he was promising them. Now he thinks its the best thing that has ever happened because as soon as the muppet left they won their first major trophy that he said he couldn't see happening under rodgers so soon. They wouldn't have him back and are more than happy with monk. This lad is a long time supporter of them and reckons they are on the up with plans for a stadium expansion and in a few years could overtake us. He reckons because swansea is in wales and the only welsh club in the prem they could fill an 80.000 seater most weeks. I don't know if any of you will remember years ago when Wimbledon tried to move their club to Dublin  :D If they had of being successful I guarantee they would still be a top club today as they would have had no problem filling any amount of seats  :no  We have an 82 thousand seater here that hosts amateur sport and you would want to be on a premier league players salary to get a ticket for tomorrows hurling final and the football final in 2 weeks. There was a semi final replay today and the place was busting.

The Dublin dons  :buttrock
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion