Our Expenditure and our expectations

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby eds » Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:25 am

Reg » Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:37 am wrote:Eds, you're the form champ as spouting self opinionated expert opinions on something which you have no knowledge of.

How can you say ' FSG will never appoint a manager that challenges them and their myopic view of sport and how a football club should be managed'.....  before adding your traditional general swipe at anyone who doesn't agree with your simplistic view of the world.

Come on mate, take a deep one and try to stay in the real world.

I form my opinions by what I see and read Reg and not the "lovely" white-washed rubbish that comes out of these so called PR departments or press releases.

As I remember distinctly FSG only interviewed Martinez and Rodgers, with Benitez not even given a look-in. My suspicions immediately arose on the types of individuals this mob was looking out for.

Two very young and inexperienced managers that wouldn't have the ba.lls to oppose whatever FSG wanted to implement at our club out in the open. Certainly that hasn't crossed your mind has it Reg?

Then there is the business of this failed moneyball experiment which cost Comolli his job and the fanaticism this club has undertaken with buying youth ever since.

Not a single poster has been able to refute the fact that 80% of our purchases under FSG have been players under 25 years of age. 80%! That is simply staggering!

Some lemmings on here brush this off as an anomaly or that it's Rodgers doing this all on his own. Makes me question both their intelligence and sanity.

You make the point time and time again that this club has no leaders or someone that can propel this club forward with their sheer brilliance (like a Gerrard or Suarez). Well there you have it, when you don't buy players in their prime and you go all out with this youth nonsense you reap what you sow.

Even worse yet we sell our best players because they are troubled, or like to chew on people, or have been given the wrong advice in life which HAS NOTHING to do with footballing ability. The exact same reason why the drunken Scot kept awful individuals like Cantona, Giggs and Keane in his team in the 90s. 

Hoping FSG prove me wrong once Rodgers is gone, because I would hate being right if our club falls into further f**king despair.  :no
"LIVERPOOL: 6 European Cups, 19 Domestic Titles, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 9 League Cups and 4 European Super Cups and 1 Club World Championship

All other English clubs pale into insignificance!"
eds

Postby Reg » Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:44 am

He might well be gone, but not for the reasons you always promote.  It's pretty obvious why they didn't consider Rafa from a political aspect, nothing to do with whether he was the best man for the job.  Stay happy mate,we're only 3 games into the season and we could still win the league, the FA cup, UEFA cup and the Milk cup. Things are looking good.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:07 pm

Reg » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:44 am wrote:He might well be gone, but not for the reasons you always promote.  It's pretty obvious why they didn't consider Rafa from a political aspect, nothing to do with whether he was the best man for the job.  Stay happy mate,we're only 3 games into the season and we could still win the league, the FA cup, UEFA cup and the Milk cup. Things are looking good.

Look at the spine we had under Benitez - Reina, Carragher, Hyypia, Alonso, Mascherano, Gerrard and Torres.
Quality right through the middle of the team, he put that together on a shoestring as well.
No wonder we got to 2 CL finals and another semi in 4 years, sending the likes of Barcelona, Real Madrid, AC Milan, Chelsea, Juventus, Inter Milan etc etc packing along the way.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby maguskwt » Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:19 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:07 pm wrote:
Reg » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:44 am wrote:He might well be gone, but not for the reasons you always promote.  It's pretty obvious why they didn't consider Rafa from a political aspect, nothing to do with whether he was the best man for the job.  Stay happy mate,we're only 3 games into the season and we could still win the league, the FA cup, UEFA cup and the Milk cup. Things are looking good.

Look at the spine we had under Benitez - Reina, Carragher, Hyypia, Alonso, Mascherano, Gerrard and Torres.
Quality right through the middle of the team, he put that together on a shoestring as well.
No wonder we got to 2 CL finals and another semi in 4 years, sending the likes of Barcelona, Real Madrid, AC Milan, Chelsea, Juventus, Inter Milan etc etc packing along the way.

As much as I'm a fan of Rafa Benitez, he should've done better in the league though, with that spine. Just one title challenge in 6 seasons wasn't good enough for the team he had. Can't forget the over-tinkering and over-strategizing against straight forward smaller teams in the league.
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:51 pm

maguskwt » Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:19 pm wrote:
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:07 pm wrote:

As much as I'm a fan of Rafa Benitez, he should've done better in the league though, with that spine. Just one title challenge in 6 seasons wasn't good enough for the team he had. Can't forget the over-tinkering and over-strategizing against straight forward smaller teams in the league.

Well to be fair to him he didn't put that team together in 5 minutes, we didn't have any money when he arrived so he had to generate money through his CL runs.
Other teams were extremely strong too, United had the likes of Ronaldo, Tevez, Rooney etc, Arsenal had Henry, Viera, Campbell and Chelsea back then were buying practically everyone (Lampard, Drogba, Essien etc).
It was probably the strongest era in English football since the late 70's/early 80's.
Given our financial situation back then compared to our rivals it's a miracle we challenged at all, don't forget not long after Rafa arrived Moores announced that he was skint and was going to have to sell the club, that whole process took nearly 2 years (DIC were front runners for ages before H&G got involved). None of our rivals had that type of upheaval going on in the background, most of them were rolling in cash at that point.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Reg » Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:51 am

It was fun.   What we have today is not fun.  No fun = no entertainment value  = no satisfaction = disillusionment.  Bring back the fun.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:01 am

The world's gone mad, spend spend spend.  :help
Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (174.13 KiB) Viewed 1405 times
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby parchpea » Sun Sep 06, 2015 8:40 pm

Im 46 and feel as though I will never see Liverpool win the title again unless they can secure much bigger investment.

FSG model offers stability and they have used the scare tactics of administration to dumb down our fanbase with great effect but I will always feel Liverpool deserve much more.

My only optimism comes from hope that once ground renovations are complete they may look to sell or secure more investment through partnership.

I dont live in Liverpool or attend games these days but have been surprised more pressure hasnt been applied on FSG at times. Maybe some hope has gone now and the fan dynamic is more accepting of a medicocre Liverpool.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:20 pm

parchpea » Sun Sep 06, 2015 7:40 pm wrote:Im 46 and feel as though I will never see Liverpool win the title again unless they can secure much bigger investment.

FSG model offers stability and they have used the scare tactics of administration to dumb down our fanbase with great effect but I will always feel Liverpool deserve much more.

My only optimism comes from hope that once ground renovations are complete they may look to sell or secure more investment through partnership.

I dont live in Liverpool or attend games these days but have been surprised more pressure hasnt been applied on FSG at times. Maybe some hope has gone now and the fan dynamic is more accepting of a medicocre Liverpool.

To be fair mate we did spend £32m on a striker and £29m on an attacking midfielder this summer so it's not as if FSG are doing a Hicks and Gilette.
There does seem to be an air of acceptance or even resignation about the fan base though but I just put that down to what's happened over the past 12 months, finishing second in 2013/14 raised everyone's hopes but last year brought those hopes well and truly crashing back down to earth again, the turgid shyte we are playing this season isn't helping the general mood either.
I just think the fans have lost a bit of belief in the manager.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby johnbarnes » Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:34 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:20 pm wrote:
parchpea » Sun Sep 06, 2015 7:40 pm wrote:Im 46 and feel as though I will never see Liverpool win the title again unless they can secure much bigger investment.

To be fair mate we did spend £32m on a striker and £29m on an attacking midfielder this summer so it's not as if FSG are doing a Hicks and Gilette.
There does seem to be an air of acceptance or even resignation about the fan base though but I just put that down to what's happened over the past 12 months, finishing second in 2013/14 raised everyone's hopes but last year brought those hopes well and truly crashing back down to earth again, the turgid shyte we are playing this season isn't helping the general mood either.
I just think the fans have lost a bit of belief in the manager.

Right here ^^^^^^^^
I think fans truly now accept that they play bit part roles at their clubs in modern day football. The players are ever close in our minds / thoughts (through social networks) but more than EVER so distant. Not just at LFC but EVERY CLUB.
The Barca ownership structure would seem to be light years ahead of most other clubs.
johnbarnes
LFC Super Member

Postby parchpea » Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:51 pm

I want to feel like Liverpool have a great chance of winning the league or minimum a domestic or european cup back, to have that sense of anticipation again, winning almost all our games, dominating matches.

That died a long long time ago now and Liverpool is just another club treading water, not enougb money and little hope.

I will never get used to Liverpool being an also ran no matter how much spin owners put on it or how well they media train management and players to convince us otherwise.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby Reg » Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:57 am

That's a very honest post mate and I also feel the change. Football (not just LFC) has become an entertainment business and no longer community based nor passionate. The EPL is awash with money, far too much money: clubs, managers and players have become divorced from the fanbase. They live in mansions, drive massively expensive cars yet are still are and act, immature. Being held to ransom by Suarez and Sterling, the Sterling laughing gas incidents, even Shelvey repeating several times he was immature when confronting SAF. It's embarrassing. Jimmy Case, Emlyn or Sammy Lee never acted this way, they were working class lads who we could equate to.

I feel distanced from the club, the common passion, the overwhelming need to succeed. I don't see that anymore. Football and F1 have similar problems, both have lost direction, lost contact with their roots, the supporters. Money has destroyed both sports. Once the supporters don't feel part of it any more, the dream is over.

The Liverpool dream is over. BR's 1,000 pound match day suits and the 200k-300k weekly salaries have won. We are no longer fans, we are spectators.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RedAnt » Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:48 am

Good posts, Reg and Parchpea. Sad though. And all too true. Reg sums it up beautifully. Oh, what the working class could do with the money our manager spends on suits alone! In truth I've lost sight of what I support. It used to be simple. I miss being a kid. Money, politics, political correctness and this silly internet thing are the evils that have killed football as we knew it.
"The S*n: The paper you wipe your ars.e on and more sh*t comes off the paper"
RedAnt

Postby johnbarnes » Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:49 am

Reg » Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:57 am wrote:That's a very honest post mate and I also feel the change. Football (not just LFC) has become an entertainment business and no longer community based nor passionate. The EPL is awash with money, far too much money: clubs, managers and players have become divorced from the fanbase. They live in mansions, drive massively expensive cars yet are still are and act, immature. Being held to ransom by Suarez and Sterling, the Sterling laughing gas incidents, even Shelvey repeating several times he was immature when confronting SAF. It's embarrassing. Jimmy Case, Emlyn or Sammy Lee never acted this way, they were working class lads who we could equate to.

I feel distanced from the club, the common passion, the overwhelming need to succeed. I don't see that anymore. Football and F1 have similar problems, both have lost direction, lost contact with their roots, the supporters. Money has destroyed both sports. Once the supporters don't feel part of it any more, the dream is over.

The Liverpool dream is over. BR's 1,000 pound match day suits and the 200k-300k weekly salaries have won. We are no longer fans, we are spectators.

"We are no longer fans, we are spectators"
Reg
I echo this quote.
Sure the flags would wave if we were to get oil money and win trophies, but it will never be the same.
johnbarnes
LFC Super Member

Postby johnbarnes » Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:53 am

RedAnt » Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:48 am wrote:Good posts, Reg and Parchpea. Sad though. And all too true. Reg sums it up beautifully. Oh, what the working class could do with the money our manager spends on suits alone! In truth I've lost sight of what I support. It used to be simple. I miss being a kid. Money, politics, political correctness and this silly internet thing are the evils that have killed football as we knew it.

In such dark times, is the reason why so many of us LOVE RAFA until the end.
With all the money, media and BS. Rafa still managed to sit with the locals for a Beer and as we know donated £96,000.00 to the working class to ensure JUSTICE prevails.
You simply CAN NOT buy CLASS!
johnbarnes
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion