Job too big for Rodgers?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Is the job too big for Rodgers and last season was a flash in the pan down to Suarez carrying us?

Yes
55%
No
36%
Not sure
9%

Total votes : 78

Postby Mikz » Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:01 pm

And wheres this attractive football that he applied as swansea boss...we are nowhere near them for attractive football - id even say swansea have improved since he left.
'' Gary lineker may well have scored 5 goals in 5 minutes , but i think you have to say, what else did he do '' ...Jimmy Hill
Mikz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Thommo's perm » Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:02 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:50 pm wrote:
Thommo's perm » Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:10 pm wrote:We beat Stoke 1-0, he was good. We beat Bournemouth 1-0, he was good. We draw 0-0 with Arsenal, he was good. We took 7 points out of a possible 10 and he was good.
We lose 3-0 to West Ham and hes sh'ite and needs sacking
:buttrock

Rewriting history a bit there Thommo, have a look at the in game threads, people were happy that we were winning but everyone could see that we were riding our luck to f[uck]. Apart from the first half at Arsenal our performances have been dire. Ref's have gifted us 4 points.

Luck is as important as skill in football. We have had plenty of bad luck and disgraceful referees decisions, so why not have some that went our way for a change?
What is more important, a victory or a great performance?

:buttrock (for RBG)
Thommo's perm

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:08 pm

Thommo's perm » Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:02 pm wrote:
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:50 pm wrote:
Thommo's perm » Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:10 pm wrote:We beat Stoke 1-0, he was good. We beat Bournemouth 1-0, he was good. We draw 0-0 with Arsenal, he was good. We took 7 points out of a possible 10 and he was good.

Rewriting history a bit there Thommo, have a look at the in game threads, people were happy that we were winning but everyone could see that we were riding our luck to f[uck]. Apart from the first half at Arsenal our performances have been dire. Ref's have gifted us 4 points.

Luck is as important as skill in football. We have had plenty of bad luck and disgraceful referees decisions, so why not have some that went our way for a change?

Fair enough, maybe you should edit your original post a bit though -

We beat Stoke 1-0 - he was lucky as f[uck], we beat Bournemouth 1-0 - rode our luck again big time,  we drew with Arsenal 0-0 did okay but ref bailed us out again.
We lose 3-0 to West Ham he's Shiite he needs sacking.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:09 pm

[url=http://www.liverpoolfc-newkit.co.uk/viewtopic.php?p=1262379#p1262379]Thommo's perm » Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:02 pm[/url wrote:]

In the grand scheme of things I'd say a sprinkling of both would be more than acceptable ,the latter even in defeat might silence the echo of footsteps from those leaving Anfield in their droves.
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby johnbarnes » Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:23 pm

Thommo's perm » Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:10 pm wrote:We beat Stoke 1-0, he was good. We beat Bournemouth 1-0, he was good. We draw 0-0 with Arsenal, he was good. We took 7 points out of a possible 10 and he was good.

Not from all fans and not from myself.
Losing at home to Westham isn't the issue. The issue for most fans (not myself) is the manner of defeat. Which is includes the way the team was set up, the tactics employed to win the game and the tactics used to salvage something positive from the game. All managers will earmark points per game (it's only natural) and BR would have earmarked 3 points from our last game.
On a personal note, I've always held the opinion the BR should never had been offered a position at LFC as Manager.
johnbarnes
LFC Super Member

Postby Thommo's perm » Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:27 pm

RED BEERGOGGLES » Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:09 pm wrote:
[url=http://www.liverpoolfc-newkit.co.uk/viewtopic.php?p=1262379#p1262379]Thommo's perm » Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:02 pm[/url wrote:]

In the grand scheme of things I'd say a sprinkling of both would be more than acceptable ,the latter even in defeat might silence the echo of footsteps from those leaving Anfield in their droves.

Fair enough but "winning ugly" is part of the game? Im not happy with the performance or result against west ham, but Im hoping that mistakes will be rectified for the next game. By the way, I am almost certain you will get your wish and he will leave, especially if he hasnt turned it around by christmas.
But all this negativity and moaning just makes things boring and tedious?
Thommo's perm

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:17 pm

Thommo's perm » Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:27 pm wrote:

Fair enough but "winning ugly" is part of the game? Im not happy with the performance or result against west ham, but Im hoping that mistakes will be rectified for the next game. By the way, I am almost certain you will get your wish and he will leave, especially if he hasnt turned it around by christmas.

I can assure you I get no personal satisfaction from negative posts fella ,I would love to be eulogising about our upswing in fortune prior to the Hammerz debacle ,but sadly even the victories were shallow ones . I mean winning ugly I agree is part and parcel of throwing points on the board ,but to look so uninspired and tactically inept in all but 45 minutes against the Goonerz  is not how I envisaged our start to the season. 

Regardless of the manager in charge I actually thought we would start with a high tempo at our place and put our opponents under concerted pressure ,but we actually look like the most disjointed team in this division right now ,no cohesion ,no understanding and completely devoid of invention.

I know the job is too much for this manager ,but I don't want the club I love slinking down the league whilst being surpassed by journeyman clubs such as the Hammerz and Stoke whilst we're waiting for that revelation to dawn on him.
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby johnbarnes » Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:18 pm

Thommo's perm » Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:27 pm wrote:

[color=#FF0000]What is an ugly performance? It's suggested when the team plays poorly. I disagree aka A poor performance = a lucky win (I know you didn't mean this). Our first game against Stoke IMO was an ugly win. We competed throughout the game, defended well and scored a wonder goal. George Graham was a master at winning ugly; but he wasn't considered a 'lucky' manager.
We know that every performance will differ at particular playing strengths and ability. But can anyone truly say after 3.1 seasons that they know how BR will set up, how is team will play and what tactics will be deployed?
The respect that managers like Houllier or Rafa (no favouritism just examples) is that EVERYONE knew how the team was to be set up and the tactics employed. BR possibly sees this as a weakness in the modern game? But one things for sure. Once the team knows how it is meant to play, the team gets stronger and more resilient. It then because an issue for the opposition and how THEY go about beating a style and a system.
LFC plays a high temper, pressing game, with a good temper and accurate passing since the days of Keegan - Rush. The passion driven force which was cemented like glue by all 11 players on the pitch.
Does BR know how to make tactical changes? Does he know the strength of making substitutions?
Again no favouritism - But the way RAFA would ALWAYS make a change on the hour mark. Everyone knew it; even his opposite numbers. But NOONE knew how the tactical switch would make a difference to the team and the way the team played. NOONE knew but 11 men and one manager. At times, it almost seemed that RAFA's training staff didn't know what was going on. BUT HE DID!. A MASTER TACTICIAN.
What is BR's style? If anyone can answer this, including himself IMO he will have bought some time for himself.
I've waffled on... But some points take paragraphs to get across.

For the first time Thommo's perm, I watch LFC not knowing how we will play, but just hoping we can win. Even under the Owl we knew what we were getting, hence why he was booted out and not a minute to soon. BR is as bad, is just our judgement has been clouded by one great season and Ageism - the fact that he is young is why he's rope is long. THE KING WAS YOUNGER.../color]
johnbarnes
LFC Super Member

Postby johnbarnes » Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:30 pm

"I know the job is too much for this manager ,but I don't want the club I love slinking down the league whilst being surpassed by journeyman clubs such as the Hammerz and Stoke whilst we're waiting for that revelation to dawn on him"

x2^^^
I wrote on this thread that all BR criticism from myself will be kept to this thread only. And I will keep my written word. When we kick off at the start of our next match, I will behind BR's REDMEN and behind the beloved crest they wear. ALWAYS!
johnbarnes
LFC Super Member

Postby Dalglish » Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:43 pm

Its always been too big a job for him tbh....................

From the start of his tenure with the ill conceived and cringe worthy "Being Liverpool" documentary to the 6-1horror show at Stoke Brendan has always looked ill at ease in the role imo.

My 11 year could have run the team with Suarez in it and at 3-0 up vs Crystal Palace even he would have shut up shop and took the 3pts and heaped more pressure on City !

A lot of Fans were practically deifying Brendan during that season when we so nearly won the League with their over sentimental comparisons to Shanks with gifs to match but as good as we were going forward we were profligate at the back and that ultimately cost us the title.   

Tactically he is found wanting when teams sit back and defend and because he has never addressed the problems at the back and teams know they will get opportunities against a defence with Mignolet and Lovren in it !

He inherited Suarez, Gerrard, Sterling and Skirtel and bought Sturridge and Coutinho but his record on bringing players in is not great.

Whilst Arsenal were buying Sanchez and Chelsea Costa we took a punt on Balotelli and Lambert to replace the mercurial Suarez and it bombed big time !

We are like the Curates Egg - Good in parts but lack the steeliness and consistency to compete at the top of the Premiership.

Good enough on any given day to beat anybody but over a season a million miles away !

Given the huge disparity in spending power these days maybe that's going to have to be our lot and level :(

I was at West Ham Saturday and although I never leave early and often shake my head at those that do it was difficult to argue with the fan-base whose only option other than booing (which I dislike even more) was to leave in their droves and register their disatisfaction that way.

Tactically who names an unchanged side and system for a HOME game against a team who beforehand voiced their intention to "park the Bus" just 5 days after facing a Title contender AWAY who don't know the meaning of the word sit back. As good as Lucas was vs Arsenal did we really need a Defensive Midfielder and 1 up top with no natural wingers to provide a meaningful threat ?  ONE shot on target at home vs West Ham........ From Lovren !

God I'm depressed and we're not in September yet ! :)
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Thommo's perm » Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:56 am

Dalglish wrote:Its always been too big a job for him tbh....................

From the start of his tenure with the ill conceived and cringe worthy "Being Liverpool" documentary to the 6-1horror show at Stoke Brendan has always looked ill at ease in the role imo.

My 11 year could have run the team with Suarez in it and at 3-0 up vs Crystal Palace even he would have shut up shop and took the 3pts and heaped more pressure on City !

A lot of Fans were practically deifying Brendan during that season when we so nearly won the League with their over sentimental comparisons to Shanks with gifs to match but as good as we were going forward we were profligate at the back and that ultimately cost us the title.   

Tactically he is found wanting when teams sit back and defend and because he has never addressed the problems at the back and teams know they will get opportunities against a defence with Mignolet and Lovren in it !

He inherited Suarez, Gerrard, Sterling and Skirtel and bought Sturridge and Coutinho but his record on bringing players in is not great.

Whilst Arsenal were buying Sanchez and Chelsea Costa we took a punt on Balotelli and Lambert to replace the mercurial Suarez and it bombed big time !

We are like the Curates Egg - Good in parts but lack the steeliness and consistency to compete at the top of the Premiership.

Good enough on any given day to beat anybody but over a season a million miles away !

Given the huge disparity in spending power these days maybe that's going to have to be our lot and level :(

I was at West Ham Saturday and although I never leave early and often shake my head at those that do it was difficult to argue with the fan-base whose only option other than booing (which I dislike even more) was to leave in their droves and register their disatisfaction that way.

Tactically who names an unchanged side and system for a HOME game against a team who beforehand voiced their intention to "park the Bus" just 5 days after facing a Title contender AWAY who don't know the meaning of the word sit back. As good as Lucas was vs Arsenal did we really need a Defensive Midfielder and 1 up top with no natural wingers to provide a meaningful threat ?  ONE shot on target at home vs West Ham........ From Lovren !

When you put it like that...
:down:
Thommo's perm

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:42 am

Dalglish » Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:43 pm wrote:Its always been too big a job for him tbh....................

Good post mate.
I know a lot of people were baffled by our line up Saturday. Even though we were at home to a side that had just been trounced by Bournemouth we not only went with a back 4 we also had 3 defensively minded CM's in our starting XI as well.
Can, Lucas and Milner are all renowned for either their defensive capabilities or their workrate, not one of them could you really describe as being creative.
So out of a team of 11 players 8 of them were defensively minded, and yet we still conceded 3!
It's no wonder though that we looked so toothless going forward with only 3 out and out attacking players on the pitch.
He has got to find a way of shoehorning more attacking players into the line up, to go into a game at Anfield with only 3 attacking players is a disgrace. Rodgers looks gun shy to me, those big defeats at the end of last season have rattled him imo.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Thommo's perm » Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:23 pm

If B-Rod doesnt get his act together and consolidate a place in the top 4, or within touching distance soon, I think he could be gone by the new year.
He is in the last chance saloon, its his shout and at the moment he hasnt got enough to buy the round...
:no
Thommo's perm

Postby eds » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:55 pm

Thommo's perm » Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:23 pm wrote:If B-Rod doesnt get his act together and consolidate a place in the top 4, or within touching distance soon, I think he could be gone by the new year.
He is in the last chance saloon, its his shout and at the moment he hasnt got enough to buy the round...

Last till the end of the year  :laugh:

The way we are playing right now he won't last till October.
"LIVERPOOL: 6 European Cups, 19 Domestic Titles, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 9 League Cups and 4 European Super Cups and 1 Club World Championship

All other English clubs pale into insignificance!"
eds

Postby Reg » Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:50 am

Thommo's perm » Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:23 am wrote:If B-Rod doesnt get his act together and consolidate a place in the top 4, or within touching distance soon, I think he could be gone by the new year.

Let me change that slightly:

He's in the last chance saloon, its his shout and everyone's noticed he's drinking from a lady's glass...

Doesn't look good....  :laugh:
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion