Lovren and Sakho
16%
Lovren and Skrtel
No votes
Sakho and Skrtel
84%

Total votes : 25

Postby Kenny Kan » Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:09 am

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:36 am wrote:Can didn't play in that game Ken, he was an unused sub, and as Maguskwt pointed out we were still using a back 4 at that time.

Liverpool team v Newcastle 01/11/2014

Mingolet, Johnson, Skrtel, Lovren, Moreno, Gerrard, Henderson, Allen (Borini 66), Coutinho (Lambert 80), Sterling, Balotelli

Unused subs - Jones, Toure, Can, Lallana, Manquillo

It wasn't until mid December (around the time we played Bournemouth in the cup and United in the league) that we started to use a back 3.

Yeah, my mistake it wasn't Can, it was Johnson.

Look here though, we still played 3-5-2 that day with Johnson, Skertel, Lovren as CB! Moreno and Sterling as Wing backs.

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/match/newcast ... ID=MP_MS_2

That's how I remember it^ Newcastle outnumbered us in midfiled (5 central midfielders) against our 3 (Allen, Gerrard & Henderson).
Champions of England 2020.

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:14 am

Kenny Kan » Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:09 am wrote:
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:36 am wrote:Can didn't play in that game Ken, he was an unused sub, and as Maguskwt pointed out we were still using a back 4 at that time.

Mingolet, Johnson, Skrtel, Lovren, Moreno, Gerrard, Henderson, Allen (Borini 66), Coutinho (Lambert 80), Sterling, Balotelli

It wasn't until mid December (around the time we played Bournemouth in the cup and United in the league) that we started to use a back 3.

Look here though, we still played 3-5-2 that day with Johnson, Skertel, Lovren as CB! Moreno and Sterling as Wing backs.

That's how I remember it^ Newcastle outnumbered us in midfiled (5 central midfielders) against our 3 (Allen, Gerrard & Henderson).

I wouldn't take too much notice of that mate, that formation only shows 10 players with Coutinho as CF and Hendo playing behind the striker!

Here's a half time post from damjan in the match thread from that game -

damjan193 » Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:40 pm wrote:Dire in the final third again, can't create Sh*t. Hoofed balls all over the place, we can't play like that! If we want to do that we could at least have Lambert alongside Balotelli. We should make a change right now, we should bring in Lallana and Lambert or Borini. I'd take Henderson off to be honest.

I thought the two CB's were decent though.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Kenny Kan » Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:28 am

Champions of England 2020.

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:24 am

Well I don't recall us going with a back 3 before December but even if we did you cant use a team that has Glenn Johnson and Dejan Lovren in the back line as a typical example. With Gerrard in front of them it was no wonder we were shyte.
That performance was not down to the formation mate it was down to personnel.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:28 am

Speaking of Lovren the Echo seems convinced that he is going to start against Stoke.
How the hell Brendan thinks he is a better CB than Sakho God only knows.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby maguskwt » Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:51 pm

Anyway... For me, I wouldn't rule out any formations. The key thing is that formation need to fit the personnel we have and vice versa. Imo 4-4-2 is too predictable and rigid. You need to have good wingers, good crossers and finishers, eg man u in the 90's and early 2000's. For 4-3-3, we don't have enough or good enough midfield players like Chelsea. I like 3-5-2 because it is more flexible than 4-4-2. You can flood the midfield or you can defend as 5-3-2. The 3-4-3 that BR played was an odd formation, but it worked.
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Pig Catcher » Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:55 pm

I just can’t see a logical reason for Lovren over Sakho. The only explanation is Rodgers has had a falling out with Sakho or is determined to prove that he didn’t get it wrong on Lovren.
Pig Catcher
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:48 pm

Pig Catcher » Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:55 am wrote:I just can’t see a logical reason for Lovren over Sakho. The only explanation is Rodgers has had a falling out with Sakho or is determined to prove that he didn’t get it wrong on Lovren.

The latter probably mate.
Lovren isn't a bad player but he drops at least one clanger every game, considering the pressure Brendan is under and the fixture list ahead of us it would be a brave call by Rodgers to pick Lovren ahead of Sakho.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Fowler_E7 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:42 pm

Pig Catcher » Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:55 am wrote:I just can’t see a logical reason for Lovren over Sakho. The only explanation is Rodgers has had a falling out with Sakho or is determined to prove that he didn’t get it wrong on Lovren.

Rodgers picking Lovren becasue hes his personal signing and he wants to prove to the world how clever he is, more than likely to the teams detriment. Funny how Rodgers personal picks like Lovren and Allen get numerous chances in the starting 11 while others get bombed out after a handful of appearances, its clear the likes of Ballotelli, Illori, Markovic never had a chance.
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The_Rock » Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:21 pm

Fowler_E7 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:42 pm wrote:Rodgers picking Lovren becasue hes his personal signing and he wants to prove to the world how clever he is, more than likely to the teams detriment. Funny how Rodgers personal picks like Lovren and Allen get numerous chances in the starting 11 while others get bombed out after a handful of appearances, its clear the likes of Ballotelli, Illori, Markovic never had a chance.

That will eventually be his downfall. He comes out with a formation to shoehorn in his clique of favourite players instead of picking the best players for a particular formation and sticking with it.

He has done this so many times....I don't think he will ever be willing to adapt to the betterment of this club. It almost seems he wants to prove a point in how smart he is instead of doing something practical to ensure that we have more chances to win.  Thisssssssssssssss I am not willing to accept.

Anyway, I have harped on Rodgers too long. The writings on the wall for him. Ayre basically told the whole world that he has gotten everyone Rodgers asked for this summer (players and coaching staff)....and thus the ball's in his court. In other words, if we fail........its all on mayor quinbee.

A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:59 pm

Rodgers isn't picking Lovren 'to prove a point' FFS. His job is on the line so you can be damn sure he's picking the team for footballing reasons.

I don't rate Lovren. Not at all. But Sakho's injury record has been poor and Rodgers says he wants a regular back line this season. Maybe his choice is based on that.

Disclaimer - I would pick Sakho over Lovren all day long. I'd pick Sakho over Lovren even if he required crutches to play.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby damjan193 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:30 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:14 am wrote:
Kenny Kan » Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:09 am wrote:

I wouldn't take too much notice of that mate, that formation only shows 10 players with Coutinho as CF and Hendo playing behind the striker!

Here's a half time post from damjan in the match thread from that game -

damjan193 » Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:40 pm wrote:Dire in the final third again, can't create Sh*t. Hoofed balls all over the place, we can't play like that! If we want to do that we could at least have Lambert alongside Balotelli. We should make a change right now, we should bring in Lallana and Lambert or Borini. I'd take Henderson off to be honest.

I thought the two CB's were decent though.

Thanks yakka  :bowdown  never been referenced like that before :D

For the sake of contributing something to the topic :D; you're right, we used the 3-5-2 against the mancs for the first time, which was about a month later from this game. I remember well since Brendan did that talk about how he didn't sleep for a few nights to think of that formation or something like that. But even if we did play 3 at the back in the Newcastle game, it's irrelevant since Johnson is at CB and Gerrard is protecting the back line. It's a bit unfair to look at faults in the formation in a game where the line-up is entirely wrong.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby JC_81 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:20 am

Kenny is right. We played a back 3 that day with Johnson as a third centre back and Henderson at wing back. I was at the game. We were horrible that day and deserved to lose.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Pig Catcher » Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:33 am

Assuming people feel differently now about what our best CB partnership is? Or do people want Skrtel back in the team?
Pig Catcher
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Raoul » Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:10 am

Pig Catcher » Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:33 am wrote:Assuming people feel differently now about what our best CB partnership is? Or do people want Skrtel back in the team?

Seems to me that the position belongs to Lovren until he loses form, gets injured or needs a rest. Skrtel will have to be patient.
"Life is not just about money. There are other things, important things that have a different kind of value. Anyone from Liverpool could tell you that."

- Jamie Carragher
Raoul
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion