Where do we still need to strengthan?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby 7_Kewell » Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:33 pm

Have said this in another thread, but thought I'd repeat it here....

But I still can't believe we've not bought DM with proven ability. We were crying out for someone to protect the back for last season and nothing has been done to fix it. What's more, in the pre-season matches I've watched, almost all of the opposition has been given too much freedom in the middle of the park. We simply cannot do that in the Premier League and we'll get punished time and again until we sign someone (like Hamann) who can protect the back line and stabilise the midfield.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:55 pm

7_Kewell » Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:33 pm wrote:Have said this in another thread, but thought I'd repeat it here....

But I still can't believe we've not bought DM with proven ability. We were crying out for someone to protect the back for last season and nothing has been done to fix it. What's more, in the pre-season matches I've watched, almost all of the opposition has been given too much freedom in the middle of the park. We simply cannot do that in the Premier League and we'll get punished time and again until we sign someone (like Hamann) who can protect the back line and stabilise the midfield.

Centre mid is a concern, we just haven't got a Souness or Alonso type figure who the whole game revolves around. The likes of Hendo and Milner are busy players who put a shift in for the team but they don't dictate or dominate games.
I really hope Brendan reverts back to a back 3 next Sunday and plays the extra man in the middle of the park, the only way we are going to dominate the midfield area is by getting numbers in there, we aren't going to do it with technical ability.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby JC_81 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:26 pm

Maybe with Benteke, who is capable of playing up on his own, we can flood the midfield in a 4-2-3-1 without having to go 3 at the back. I think that's how we'll set up, at least until Sturridge is back.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby killerp » Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:49 pm

Transfer rumor update:

"Asier Illarramendi is set to move to Liverpool after the Anfield club came up with an improved offer of £14.2m.
The Express reports that the bid is line with what Real are hoping to receive for the defensive midfielder, and a deal should be completed this week."
killerp

Postby Reg » Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:05 pm

Money ball. Give the lad another chance.

http://www.thisisanfield.com/2015/06/as ... ed-summer/
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby damjan193 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:01 pm

I'm not sure about Illaramendi to be honest, doesn't look like a Premier League player to me. Good passer and good reader of the game but kinda soft. Won't solve our midfield problems I think. Maybe we should just stuff the midfield and hope the 3 up front do their job (in a 4-3-3).       

If we go with:

Lucas/Can
                                Henderosn    Milner
                        Frimino                       Coutinho
                                        Benteke

It should solve our midfield problem, opposition won't go through us like butter, but we lose a man in attack, thereafter the problem might shift to the final third. Regardless of that, I'd like us to start the season like this, with a change or two in personal perhaps.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion