LFC Preseason Matches 2015

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby aCe' » Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:04 pm

So thats that for our pre season.

Based on what I've seen, this is the lineup we're likely to start with against Stoke:

Mignolet
Clyne
Skrtel
Lovren
Gomez
Henderson
Milner
Coutinho
Lallana
Ibe
Benteke

Subs:
Bogdan
Sakho
Moreno
Lucas
Can
Firmino
Ings

I have to say, I'm not sure about how our midfield will look this season. I have big reservations about both Can and Lucas and the pairing of Henderson & Milner (while being the best we have to offer) will likely struggle to control many games against better opposition.
At the back, I hope we see Sakho in the starting lineup sooner rather than later. He's our best CB as far as I'm concerned and with Moreno likely to eventually start at LB he'll need all the cover he can get down that side; I'm not sure Lovren will offer enough of that.

Further up, we have decent options in Coutinho, Lallana, and Benteke. We need them all to hit the ground going though. Both Ings and Origi dont look anywhere near the quality needed to make it if we are to challenge for top4, I'd rather have Balotelli than either/both. Sturridge continues to be the best player in the squad imo and his return will give us a big boost going forward.
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby C-R » Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:04 pm

A much better angle of the Benteke goal https://vine.co/v/eHMXJbUIeO1
C-R
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:24 pm

aCe' » Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:04 pm wrote:So thats that for our pre season.

Based on what I've seen, this is the lineup we're likely to start with against Stoke:

Mignolet
Clyne
Skrtel
Lovren
Gomez
Henderson
Milner
Coutinho
Lallana
Ibe
Benteke

Subs:
Bogdan
Sakho
Moreno
Lucas
Can
Firmino
Ings

I have to say, I'm not sure about how our midfield will look this season. I have big reservations about both Can and Lucas and the pairing of Henderson & Milner (while being the best we have to offer) will likely struggle to control many games against better opposition.
At the back, I hope we see Sakho in the starting lineup sooner rather than later. He's our best CB as far as I'm concerned and with Moreno likely to eventually start at LB he'll need all the cover he can get down that side; I'm not sure Lovren will offer enough of that.

Further up, we have decent options in Coutinho, Lallana, and Benteke. We need them all to hit the ground going though. Both Ings and Origi dont look anywhere near the quality needed to make it if we are to challenge for top4, I'd rather have Balotelli than either/both. Sturridge continues to be the best player in the squad imo and his return will give us a big boost going forward.

I hate to sound negative, but I think we're going to struggle this season unless some of the young lads REALLY step up to the plate.  That means Gomez, Cylne, Ibe, Coutinho, Markovic and Ings need to hit the ground running and then step up a gear or two, otherwise our top 4 race will be over before it's even begun.

I STILL can't believe we haven't invested in a quality DM. Even Swindon managed to run through the middle of the park with acres of space today....do that against Prem opposition (again) and they'll destroy us in the same manner as Stoke.

Hopefully I'll be proven wrong....but if I was FSG I'd have Klopp's number on speed dial because it's going to be a bumpy ride this year.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:33 pm

Midfield and defence are big concerns, no way should Lovren be starting ahead of Sakho and making Henderson captain was a mistake too, he wouldn't even make it into my starting XI never mind skipper it!
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Boocity » Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:04 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:33 pm wrote:Midfield and defence are big concerns, no way should Lovren be starting ahead of Sakho and making Henderson captain was a mistake too, he wouldn't even make it into my starting XI never mind skipper it!

Exactly my thoughts yakka, making him captain makes him undroppable
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:30 pm

Boocity » Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:04 pm wrote:
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:33 pm wrote:Midfield and defence are big concerns, no way should Lovren be starting ahead of Sakho and making Henderson captain was a mistake too, he wouldn't even make it into my starting XI never mind skipper it!

Exactly my thoughts yakka, making him captain makes him undroppable

Just goes to show how short of characters we are this season. Am really hoping one or two of the young lads show their worth and show a bit of leadership on the pitch. Who knows, we might unlock a future star and captain this year.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC1990 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:29 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:22 pm wrote:
Boocity » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:04 am wrote:No they havent and we also have only faced weak opposition, while the like of ManU, Man City and arsenl are facing top European clubs in pre-season we are playing against teams that would struggle in our third division, the question is will we be ready for the opening PL games

For some reason mate we hardly ever start a season well, 2013 was the exception but generally we tend to be slow out of the blocks, I was hoping this season would be different but as you say our preperation hasn't been ideal.

2009 - we were beaten by Spurs at WHL
2010 - we drew against Arsenal at Anfield (last minute Reina mistake cost us 3 points)
2011 - we drew 1-1 with Sunderland at Anfield
2012 - we were battered 3-0 by West Brom at the Hawthorns
2013 - we beat Sunderland 2-1 at Anfield (Mingolet saved us with a late pen save)
2014 - we beat Southampton 2-1 in an unconvincing home win, they were the better side on the day

I don't think it's a coincidence that out of that lot the one season we had a great start is the one season where we finished in the top 4.

???

2013 was Stoke at home and we beat them 1-0

The master and his apprentice
LFC1990
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:08 pm

LFC1990 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:29 pm wrote:
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:22 pm wrote:
Boocity » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:04 am wrote:No they havent and we also have only faced weak opposition, while the like of ManU, Man City and arsenl are facing top European clubs in pre-season we are playing against teams that would struggle in our third division, the question is will we be ready for the opening PL games

For some reason mate we hardly ever start a season well, 2013 was the exception but generally we tend to be slow out of the blocks, I was hoping this season would be different but as you say our preperation hasn't been ideal.

2009 - we were beaten by Spurs at WHL
2010 - we drew against Arsenal at Anfield (last minute Reina mistake cost us 3 points)
2011 - we drew 1-1 with Sunderland at Anfield
2012 - we were battered 3-0 by West Brom at the Hawthorns
2013 - we beat Sunderland 2-1 at Anfield (Mingolet saved us with a late pen save)
2014 - we beat Southampton 2-1 in an unconvincing home win, they were the better side on the day

I don't think it's a coincidence that out of that lot the one season we had a great start is the one season where we finished in the top 4.

???

2013 was Stoke at home and we beat them 1-0

yep sorry mate, got mixed up a bit there, for some reason I had it in my head that Mingolet saved a pen from Seb Larsson when it was Jon Walters, apologies.

09/10 - Spurs
10/11 - Arsenal
11/12 - Sunderland
12/13 - West Brom
13/14 - Stoke
14/15 - Southampton
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - Games