CHRISTIAN BENTEKE - Official Thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby The_Rock » Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:17 pm

Bentake is a good target man..... Nobody is disputing this fact. But does Brendan "Tactical Messiah" Rodgers know how to play with a target-man ?

Carroll - did not give a chance
Balotelli - criminally misused him
Lambert - He is a target man who scored loads of goals for the saints.... and was told to press from the front .....

Our Wingbacks don't put in any crosses. Statistically we put in the least amount of crosses... Rodgers had his best season with a mobile striker who can press from the front.

So don't blame some of us.....when we questions this purchase especially with Rodgers still at the helm.

If Klopp or Rafa were here...I wouldn't have any worries about Bentake. They are known for setting up tactics to suit the team's strength.
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby andy_g » Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:39 pm

firstly, benteke is not just a target man. he's a pretty useful player and is more than capable of creating and scoring all sorts of goals.

secondly, in the case that he is to be used as a target man in a different style of play, a certain newly signed right back of ours has (if i remember correctly) the most assists from crosses of anyone in the league last season.

win win!

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:27 pm

I think Benteke will prove an absolute monster for the reds this season ,lets face it aside from Drogba in his pomp I don't think there's a striker that defences genuinely fear anymore ,but Benteke is exactly that kind of player. I honestly believe if Chelsea never had Costa who believe it or not Is a similar type of player to Benteke I think Mourinho would have made his signing a priority.

The lad has bags of ability and can hold play up on his own ,he's more than  adept at bringing others into play and he has a deft touch ,to add to that he's a genuine 'bona fide' and proven Premiership goal threat with a particular proclivity for scoring some sumptuous slots ,for me personally the goal below defines his ability

Lastly welcome to the club fella ,30 yard screamer on the opening day of the season will do for starters  :D
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Doeboy » Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:44 pm

leeroy74 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:09 pm wrote:fuk off numb tw@t. Carra has piped up and no one really asked his opinion but he gave it anyway. He's a legend, I love the man but who really cares what he thinks?

To be fair even though no one asked his opinion,  he is still entitled to a opinionand is paid to give it.

He has played at the highest level and and had a season under Rodgers so knows how he likes to set out, so with that in mind, i think his well qualified to give an opinion, even though many may not agree with him
Doeboy

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:02 pm

If Benteke was slow and static I could understand fans concerns but he's not.
Yes Lambert and Balotelli did look like fish out of water in our system last season but about the only thing they have in common with Benteke is size.
You don't get a 1 in 2 goal scoring ratio playing for a team as uncreative as Villa by standing around like a lamppost.
Benteke is quick, he puts in a shift for the team (i.e he likes to win the ball high up the pitch) and most importantly he gets himself into goal scoring positions. He doesnt just stand there 35 yards out from goal looking to play neat one two's, he'll lay the ball off and then get himself into the danger area.
Last edited by ycsatbjywtbiastkamb on Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Doeboy » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:37 pm

The comparisons to Carroll are just lazy. Yes both very good in the air and a real handful but Benteke has more to his game
Doeboy

Postby LFC1990 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:53 pm

How many League goals will everyone be happy with Benteke scoring this year

IMO he will get over 18

The master and his apprentice
LFC1990
LFC Super Member

Postby red till i die!! » Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:00 pm

Think we need him to be a 20+ goal man this season but I'd be happy if he got 18 in the league alone. Including the cup's I'd say he will easily pass 20 next season.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:16 pm

Anything around the 20 mark in all competitions wouldn't be bad for a debut season. He certainly has the potential to go much higher though, if he can score at a ratio of 1:2 at Villa (who barely create anything) then there's a chance he can do some real damage here with the likes of Coutinho, Firmino, Lallana, Ibe, Markovic etc around him.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Dundreamin is back » Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:26 am

Welcome big man
Dundreamin is back
LFC Advanced Member

Postby JC_81 » Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:41 am

This is the signing that will either save Rodgers or accelerate his exit.

Benteke has all the attributes of a young Drogba. If he hits the ground running and scores 20+ this season he'll be massive for us. Trouble is not all players can handle the pressure of being expected to win every week let alone handle the price tag and the media coverage that comes with it. Impossible to predict how this one will go, I don't know enough about the lad's personality.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:08 pm

...and he's off the mark v Swindon
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby damjan193 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:07 pm

Been only one friendly but it seems it might work our for him here. The goal aside, I was really pleased by his movement and link-up play. Doubt he'll start against Stoke but we should make sure that he's ready to start week in week out after that game.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:28 pm

damjan193 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:07 pm wrote:Been only one friendly but it seems it might work our for him here. The goal aside, I was really pleased by his movement and link-up play. Doubt he'll start against Stoke but we should make sure that he's ready to start week in week out after that game.

Yeah he looked a bit off the pace but thats only to be expected given that was his first game in months. He missed one or two sitters but what pleased me was that he got into those goal scoring positions in the first place. The finishing will come as his fitness improves but that strikers instinct to sniff out chances can't be taught, a striker either has it or he hasn't and Benteke showed today that he has got it. Not much happened today and he should have walked away with a hat-trick!
You can see now why he has a 1 in 2 scoring ratio despite playing for the least creative side in the division.
Personally I'd start him against Stoke, even a half fit Benteke is better than Ings and Origi Imo.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby red till i die!! » Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:16 pm

That was a cracker of a strike today from the big man. Thought the service he was getting was pretty poor especially from the wings and at one point we were taking short corners rather than fire them into him. Hopefully that will improve when he steps up to the 1st team. At least with benteke we have a player who can conjure up something for himself, something we have sorely missed.

He's experienced in the league and isn't suffering from injury so no reason as to why he can't start against stoke.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion