Where do we still need to strengthan?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby leeroy74 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:23 pm

only me » Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:04 am wrote:
leeroy74 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:33 am wrote:Is Benteke not the answer when the questions are...     

1. Want a striker who is proven at putting the goal in the back of the net?
2. Do you need goals?

He answers both those questions.

Hmmm this description fits so many strikers...Question is if we need his type of player if he fits our attacking scheme is he worth the money ,my answer is no on all accounts.
Picking Benteke is another lazy decision which looks for quick answer based on last year performance and close to home. We need some more serious professional scouting system.

ok then, we keep Balotelli, Borini and Lambert. That'll get us another 4 goals between them next season.

we need a striker who can net them, Benteke can do just that. yes there's hundreds of others that can too but we have to focus on someone and Benteke looks like he's the one. We just need to tie the deal up and he can get training with us
leeroy74
LFC Super Member

Postby only me » Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:47 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:09 am wrote:I can understand the doubts people have about wether Benteke would be a natural fit for us but I think he's a lot more mobile than we give him credit for, he's no Carroll or Lambert, for a big lad he can really shift.
But more importantly I think any side playing in England needs to have the ability to score goals from crosses and percentage balls into the box, Chelsea have always been big believers in having a target man, City have had Dzeko (and now Bony), United got top 4 off the back of Fellaini and even Arsenal have got Giroud.
Those teams are not ale house sides but they all realise that it's just not realistic to be able to play exhibition football week in week out for 9 months of the year. This league is physical and its a slog, the bottom teams don't just roll over and when the occasion demands you have to be able to roll your sleeves up, meet fire with fire and eek out results by scoring scruffy goals, if you don't have that ability then you end up looking like us at the end of last season.
If we rely solely on scoring perfect picture book goals then we'll be lucky to score 1 a week, we need someone who will spent most of the match in the opposition box and who will fight tooth and nail to get on the end of things.
If Coutinho and Firmino click and we start playing like Barcelona then great, Sturridge will dovetail perfectly with them, but let's be realistic, this is England not Spain, strength, power and pace go a long way here, you only have to look at Chelsea and City over the last few years to see that.

Good post Yaka i understand what you are saying i'm just not very excited by Benteke i really hoped we would aim a bit higher.
only me
LFC Super Member

Postby Buck Rodgers » Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:23 pm

only me » Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:47 pm wrote:
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:09 am wrote:I can understand the doubts people have about wether Benteke would be a natural fit for us but I think he's a lot more mobile than we give him credit for, he's no Carroll or Lambert, for a big lad he can really shift.
But more importantly I think any side playing in England needs to have the ability to score goals from crosses and percentage balls into the box, Chelsea have always been big believers in having a target man, City have had Dzeko (and now Bony), United got top 4 off the back of Fellaini and even Arsenal have got Giroud.
Those teams are not ale house sides but they all realise that it's just not realistic to be able to play exhibition football week in week out for 9 months of the year. This league is physical and its a slog, the bottom teams don't just roll over and when the occasion demands you have to be able to roll your sleeves up, meet fire with fire and eek out results by scoring scruffy goals, if you don't have that ability then you end up looking like us at the end of last season.
If we rely solely on scoring perfect picture book goals then we'll be lucky to score 1 a week, we need someone who will spent most of the match in the opposition box and who will fight tooth and nail to get on the end of things.
If Coutinho and Firmino click and we start playing like Barcelona then great, Sturridge will dovetail perfectly with them, but let's be realistic, this is England not Spain, strength, power and pace go a long way here, you only have to look at Chelsea and City over the last few years to see that.

Good post Yaka i understand what you are saying i'm just not very excited by Benteke i really hoped we would aim a bit higher.

Being realistic who do you believe the club should be aiming for - being realistic
Buck Rodgers
LFC Advanced Member

Postby aCe' » Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:49 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:02 pm wrote:I think our business is nearly done, I think we'll buy a CF and that will be it.
Although I'd prefer us to stick with the 3 at the back (so we can get the likes of Can and Ibe into the team) I think we'll start the season like this -

Mingolet

Clyne               Skrtel.          Sakho.           Moreno

Milner.       Henderson

Lallana        Coutinho.         Firmino

Benteke

With the likes of Sturridge, Ibe, Markovic, Ilorri etc ready to come in and claim a place in the starting XI I don't think that's the worst side we've ever had.

I disagree. I think that's the worst starting 11 I've ever seen Liverpool go into a season with. Essentially, we started last season expecting Johnson, Gerrard, Sterling and Sturridge to be in our best starting 11 instead of Clyne, Milner, Firmino and (Benteke) ?

Clyne aside, I'm not sure -on paper at least- that this side can go down as a better side in terms of names than what we had last season. Every other season I've watched the club outside that we've had at least one, two or more world class players in the starting 11. I look at this side and I struggle to see a single player who could make it into the starting 11 of a title contender in any of the top European leagues.
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:50 pm

aCe' » Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:49 pm wrote:
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:02 pm wrote:I think our business is nearly done, I think we'll buy a CF and that will be it.
Although I'd prefer us to stick with the 3 at the back (so we can get the likes of Can and Ibe into the team) I think we'll start the season like this -

Mingolet

Milner.       Henderson

Benteke

With the likes of Sturridge, Ibe, Markovic, Ilorri etc ready to come in and claim a place in the starting XI I don't think that's the worst side we've ever had.

I disagree. I think that's the worst starting 11 I've ever seen Liverpool go into a season with. Essentially, we started last season expecting Johnson, Gerrard, Sterling and Sturridge to be in our best starting 11 instead of Clyne, Milner, Firmino and (Benteke) ?

Clyne aside, I'm not sure -on paper at least- that this side can go down as a better side in terms of names than what we had last season. Every other season I've watched the club outside that we've had at least one, two or more world class players in the starting 11. I look at this side and I struggle to see a single player who could make it into the starting 11 of a title contender in any of the top European leagues.

Gerrard was a shell of the player he once was mate, Lord knows I'm not Milners biggest fan but he will be an upgrade on the 2014/15 version of Steven Gerrard.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:33 pm

only me » Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:47 pm wrote:

As I said my original post mate this league is a hard slog over 9 months and we need to start developing the ability to dig out results when we aren't firing on all cylinders. I'm not saying let's start playing like Wimbledon but it would be very handy to have a CF in our squad who doesn't get brushed aside by defenders in the box.
At the moment we are too easy to play against and too easy to defend against, all our forwards want to be either involved in the build up or put through one on one with the keeper, no one (bar Lambert, but he's too slow) wants to do the hard yards in terms of getting in the box and battling it out with CB's to get on the end of things.
Unfortunately stats show that's where most goals come from, the likes of Ian Rush and Gary Lineker scored the majority of their goals from 6/7 yards out, who have we currently got in our squad who sets up camp on the opposition penalty spot?
There's a reason why Benteke has a 1 in 2 goal scoring record despite playing for probably the least creative team in the division over the last 2/3 years and that's because he gets himself into goal scoring positions.
When he first arrived at Villa he looked phenominal, he scored 25 goals feeding off scraps, if he hits form here he could rip this division up.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby andy c legs » Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:19 pm

ollie1126 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:25 am wrote:
Reg » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:05 am wrote:
andy c legs » Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:51 am wrote:I agree with YakYak. However, for the want of yet again repeating myself, .

Who the feck is YakYak?? !!   :laugh:  :bowdown  :buttrock  :wwww

LOL. scrolling and reading then...  :bowdown

Sorry guys, scored an own goal there - a trait which Skrtel has at least erased from his game! :help  :bump

My sentiments are still the same though - we need to get that all important striker..fast. :buttrock
[b]I am and always will be in love with them...
andy c legs
LFC Basic Member

Postby ethanr » Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:28 am

aCe' » Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:49 am wrote:

Mingolet

Milner.       Henderson

Benteke

There's a couple things you have to take into consideration. For one, Johnson was absolutely terrible, so to say we didn't improve at RB (I know, you said Clyne aside) not only a bit, but tremendously, you'd be crazy. Gerrard wasn't even close to the player he's been for us either, and Sturridge was out at the beginning of the season. Secondly, the great thing about young players, and one of the main reasons people invest so much in them, is that they get better. Now obviously that's not always the case, but if you look at certain younger players in our team like Coutinho, who was good at the beginning of the season, but became our best player by the end, there's a big difference in what we expect from him at the beginning of this season compared to the last. Hendo still gets a somewhat split opinion, but look at how he had to adapt last season when it became apparent that Gerrard wasn't going to be a key figure anymore. He had an enormous amount of pressure on him and I think it's really helped him grow. I think Mignolet improved as well, and even players like Sakho and Moreno who have just gained that bit of experience that will better prepare them for this season. I personally think Lallana was disgustingly under-utilized last season, and Benteke would actually be able to play unlike Sturridge. I think when you take all of that into consideration, our team is looking significantly better just through the growth of some of our younger players, as well as some additions who will immediately add to the first time like Clyne, Firmino, and potentially Benteke.
DESPITE THE FACT I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA...
ethanr

Postby JC_81 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:41 am

Good post Yakka.

I think we will end up with Benteke. I think if City agree to pay 50 for Sterling we will pay the 32.5 for Benteke.

Identical situations - both Villa and us have a value for the players and both Sterling and Benteke have 2 yrs left on their contracts but both want the moves. We cannot sit in a room with Villa officials and refuse to meet the price, while we refuse to budge on Sterling's fee with City. Our negotiators, Ayre and whoever else, would lose any respect they had in the business.

It's actually very similar to the Carroll/Torres situation.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby god_bless_john_houlding » Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:51 pm

The stands.

You don't need players to inspire you to sing, you sing anyway. Have Anfield rocking and have teams shitting themselves at coming here. Makes a huge difference.
1) You'll Never Walk Alone
2) pass and move is the Liverpool groove
3) FIRST WILL ALWAYS BE FIRST AND SECOND WILL ALWAYS BE NOTHING.
4) If Torres has scored 60 league goals for Liverpool by the start of the 2011/12 season, I'll say he's better than Owen.
god_bless_john_houlding

Postby damjan193 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:39 pm

god_bless_john_houlding » Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:51 pm wrote:The stands.

You don't need players to inspire you to sing, you sing anyway. Have Anfield rocking and have teams shitting themselves at coming here. Makes a huge difference.

+1  :nod
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:40 pm

god_bless_john_houlding » Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:51 pm wrote:The stands.

+2
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby god_bless_john_houlding » Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:05 pm

damjan193 wrote:
god_bless_john_houlding » Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:51 pm wrote:The stands.

+1  :nod

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb wrote:
god_bless_john_houlding » Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:51 pm wrote:The stands.

+2

I wouldn't agree with me if I was you folks. I'm not exactly welcome on this forum any more.
1) You'll Never Walk Alone
2) pass and move is the Liverpool groove
3) FIRST WILL ALWAYS BE FIRST AND SECOND WILL ALWAYS BE NOTHING.
4) If Torres has scored 60 league goals for Liverpool by the start of the 2011/12 season, I'll say he's better than Owen.
god_bless_john_houlding

Postby Eagle » Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:50 pm

We need to strengthen our ability to spell strengthen.
Eagle

Postby eds » Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:27 am

:laugh:
"LIVERPOOL: 6 European Cups, 19 Domestic Titles, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 9 League Cups and 4 European Super Cups and 1 Club World Championship

All other English clubs pale into insignificance!"
eds

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion