Where do we still need to strengthan?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby 7_Kewell » Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:15 pm

The season is just 4 weeks away, but where do we still need to strengthen?  So far we've signed:

Roberto Firmino* (Hoffenheim, £22m, rising to £29m)
Joe Gomez (Charlton Athletic, £3.5m)
James Milner (Manchester City, free)
Adam Bogdan (Bolton Wanderers, free)
Danny Ings (Burnley, fee TBC)
Nathaniel Clyne (Southampton, £12m)

While these have left:
Steven Gerrard (LA Galaxy, free)
Glen Johnson (released)
Brad Jones (released)
Jordan Lussey (released)
Marc Pelosi (released)
Iago Aspas (Sevilla, £3.6m)
Sebastian Coates (Sunderland, £2m)

Personally, I think we need a proven striker and a quality defensive midfielder. Then there's also the question of replacing Gerrard...which makes 3 more players needed. There's also a LOT of deadwood that needs to go - Borini, Mario, Lamber - which means we have a lot of work left to do to be ready for the first game away to Stoke City.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby johnbarnes » Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:00 pm

Too literally answer this question directly.
There isn't one position that we don't need to strengthen. From keeper to strikers, we just don't have world class individual players anymore.
But, that doesn't mean we can't build a world class team.
johnbarnes
LFC Super Member

Postby C-R » Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:15 pm

Defensive Midfielder...

My preferred option would be William Carvalho of Sporting Lisbon

Centre Forward...

My preferred option's would be Gonzalo Higuaín of Napoli OR Christian Benteke of Aston Villa

However, that said, i think the only truly realistic option will be Benteke, but i can live in hope  :nod
C-R
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:34 pm

I am over the moon that we have signed a quality player like Firmino but it does have to be said that AM wasn't a position where we were short of options, I think we probably would have been better served going for 2 quality CM's like Kovacic and illaremendi than another AM.
The Echo the other day asked 'where does Firmino's signing leave Lallana' and its a good question.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby damjan193 » Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:40 pm

A top striker should be top priority. I'd go for Lacazzete, a realistic target that would suit our style and should be available for reasonable money. Higuain is a big no for me, never understood the hype about him, never liked him and I'd rather have Benteke.

If there's money left we should sign a midfielder as well. I'm not sure who I'd like us to sign though, all of the midfielders I could think of and would be available to us lack something in some department. Needs to be creative but good also good defensively.

And that's it, we need two more players TOPS. It will be a mistake if we sign more than that, too many new faces is never a good idea (as we've already seen).
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby damjan193 » Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:47 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:34 pm wrote:I am over the moon that we have signed a quality player like Firmino but it does have to be said that AM wasn't a position where we were short of options, I think we probably would have been better served going for 2 quality CM's like Kovacic and illaremendi than another AM.
The Echo the other day asked 'where does Firmino's signing leave Lallana' and its a good question.

Was saying that even before we signed him. We didn't need wingers and attacking midfielders, even if Sterling leaves we would still have had plenty IMO. Should have concentrated our effort and money on positions that we actually need, like midfield and center forward.

At least we've got a good player in Frimino. A partnership of him and Coutinho sounds promising.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby 7_Kewell » Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:59 pm

damjan193 » Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:47 pm wrote:
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:34 pm wrote:I am over the moon that we have signed a quality player like Firmino but it does have to be said that AM wasn't a position where we were short of options, I think we probably would have been better served going for 2 quality CM's like Kovacic and illaremendi than another AM.

Was saying that even before we signed him. We didn't need wingers and attacking midfielders, even if Sterling leaves we would still have had plenty IMO. Should have concentrated our effort and money on positions that we actually need, like midfield and center forward.

At least we've got a good player in Frimino. A partnership of him and Coutinho sounds promising.

Firmino has the potential to be much more than a Stirling replacement. He's more like Suarez, in the fact he can beat a man, pick out a pass and (more importantly) hit the back of the net.

We desperately need a defensive midfielder, because the major cause of our defensive problems start with the fact our central midfielders cannot protect the back line.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:08 pm

We are not going to pay Milner Gerrard type wages to sit on the sidelines so I think the chances of bringing in a high profile DM like Carvalho are very, very slim. I think Brendan see's Henderson and Milner as the screen in front of our back 4 which in turn is going to allow the likes of Coutinho and Firmino free reign to do their thing.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby damjan193 » Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:20 pm

7_Kewell » Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:59 pm wrote:We desperately need a defensive midfielder, because the major cause of our defensive problems start with the fact our central midfielders cannot protect the back line.

I agree with that to an extent. If someone who can protect the back 4 is all we need then we don't need to sign anyone since we already have Lucas. People may say what they like about him but his defensive capabilities and work rate are phenomenal. The thing is we need someone who can do the defensive duties but also be capable of picking a pass. Like yakka says though, I doubt we'll go for a new midfielder since we have Milner now  :glare:
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby Kash_Mountain » Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:40 pm

LFC definitely need a top quality GK. This was one of key position that needed strengthening last season, BR chose not to do anything about it, and still hasn't. Shocking really!

ABSOLUTE STRENGTH       

ImageImage
Kash_Mountain

Postby andy c legs » Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:51 pm

I agree with YakYak. However, for the want of yet again repeating myself, WE NEED a 20-25 man goalscorer. That HAS to still be out top priority. Sturridge is out until October - at least and we all know how injury prone he is! The club should just bite the bullet and say to Villa - there you are there's £32 mill for Benteke and when we sell Sterling to City we will re-coup that in a flash. Job done.
[b]I am and always will be in love with them...
andy c legs
LFC Basic Member

Postby kazza » Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:54 am

I also think we need a better keeper. Mignolet made too many poor errors last year and although he improved through the season he showed he can be poor and I cannot seem to forget that. Mistakes he was making were changing the course of games and that is worrying for me. He would make a good backup. Add to that a clinical striker and we can do something next year.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:05 am

andy c legs » Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:51 am wrote:I agree with YakYak. However, for the want of yet again repeating myself, .

Who the feck is YakYak?? !!   :laugh:  :bowdown  :buttrock  :wwww
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ollie1126 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:25 am

Reg » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:05 am wrote:
andy c legs » Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:51 am wrote:I agree with YakYak. However, for the want of yet again repeating myself, .

Who the feck is YakYak?? !!   :laugh:  :bowdown  :buttrock  :wwww

LOL. scrolling and reading then...  :bowdown
SportsenStuff | Sports is my Life!
ollie1126
LFC Basic Member

Postby leeroy74 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:29 am

Kash_Mountain » Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:40 pm wrote:LFC definitely need a top quality GK. This was one of key position that needed strengthening last season, BR chose not to do anything about it, and still hasn't. Shocking really!

You mean instead of Mignolet, who came joint second in the goalkeeper stats most clean sheets? yeah, cracking idea ha ha ha

edit: altered cos I was looking at old info.
leeroy74
LFC Super Member

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion