Job too big for Rodgers?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Is the job too big for Rodgers and last season was a flash in the pan down to Suarez carrying us?

Yes
55%
No
36%
Not sure
9%

Total votes : 78

Postby woof woof ! » Tue Jun 30, 2015 2:45 pm

taff » Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:19 pm wrote:The personal abuse stuff I can leave it to be honest. He has done good things and we have played good football. And the players left out debate has been done a lot on this forum.

For me the CL was the big turning point. We are talking about basle and ludogrets. We as Lfc finished second in a big powerful league and our summer spending even with losing Suarez was huge compared to those two clubs. I know it was his first season but he had Europe the year before and this again is the club that finished second in the EPL.

Accepting that as a learning curve is imo wrong. This is the level we should be at and aiming for. We were done and looked out of our depth and that is a warning.

The constant argument I can do without tbh it's turning into point scoring but if anybody thinks last season was in any way acceptable with the money spent then I worry for you. The last game against Stoke was ridiculous and sort of summed it up.

Forget the teeth, girlfriends whatever the failure should be a reality check.

I'm happy with one more season but it's deliver time end of, no more excuses.

Good points made there my Bananna & Brown Sauce eating pub landlord friend   :D

The "personal abuse" aimed at Rodgers re gets a top job and quickly walks out on wife, gets new girlfriend and shiny teeth etc etc although understandable when coming from those of us who expect LFC's manager to hold a higher moral compass, those oft aired expectations and subsequent vilifying of Rodgers character tend to cloud the real issue we should be debating, i.e. In pure footballing terms after the 2013/2014 high watermark and subsequent 2014/2015 low tide, is Rodgers the man with the tactical ability to recruit, regroup and when required reshape a Liverpool side that will take us further.

Personally I'm not convinced, but given the "problems" he had to deal with last season (many of them imo of his own making) although I look forward to it with little faith I'm prepared to cut him some slack and see how he does in what must surely be a make or break upcoming season for him.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Jun 30, 2015 2:56 pm

taff » Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:19 pm wrote:The personal abuse stuff I can leave it to be honest. He has done good things and we have played good football. And the players left out debate has been done a lot on this forum.

For me the CL was the big turning point. We are talking about basle and ludogrets. We as Lfc finished second in a big powerful league and our summer spending even with losing Suarez was huge compared to those two clubs. I know it was his first season but he had Europe the year before and this again is the club that finished second in the EPL.

Accepting that as a learning curve is imo wrong. This is the level we should be at and aiming for. We were done and looked out of our depth and that is a warning.

The constant argument I can do without tbh it's turning into point scoring but if anybody thinks last season was in any way acceptable with the money spent then I worry for you. The last game against Stoke was ridiculous and sort of summed it up.

Forget the teeth, girlfriends whatever the failure should be a reality check.

I'm happy with one more season but it's deliver time end of, no more excuses.

I think the CL just came at the wrong time, it's easy to forget now but Rodgers had a hell of a lot on his plate at the beginning of last season.
For a start the Lovren/Gerrard axis at the heart of our defence was proving to be a complete wash out, none of the new signings (bar maybe Moreno) was showing any form, Sturridge was injured on England duty after being made to train on a rest day, Mingolet was going through a crisis of confidence and Sterling was refusing to sign his new contract,
Plus even though he needed dropping the press were whipping Gerrards contract talks up in to a storm and Gerrard himself was piling on the pressure by saying he wouldn't accept a bit part role from the bench.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby taff » Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:09 pm

Hi woof hope all is well

Although I'm not big on the personal life stuff I do however think it has an impact I just want to avoid it as a discussion point as it can become silly.

If you preach coaching people as well as footballers and improving them as humans then do not put yourself in a position where your actions as a person can be bought up. But this could easily lead into a tit for tat thing hence my hesitation to get involved there.

Concerning the CL and reasons why at hectare of the season well to be blunt, tough. I was not expecting a semi or a final etc but the group stage was imo embarassing. There is something wrong with the fight ethic or confidence or even that arrogance in the squad. That is the managers job to rectify it.

If it was the loss of Suarez then it's an admittance that it was Suarez not Rodgers who galvanised the team in his last season. If it was Rodgers and his management style the what went wrong last season. We were second in the epl so welcome to the big time hence the wages, publicity etc. this is Lfc.

I'm happy with another season for him but let us all remember the standards we have been used to and our ambition.
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:19 pm

Well whatever went on last season is all by the by now, what is certain is that if he has another poor season he will be gone.
I can't see him being manager this time next year if 2015/16 is anything like 2014/15.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby taff » Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:06 pm

I agree there.

Truth is I want him to succeed as it means we succeed. There is a part of me that thinks the signings so far are good and the squad are more experienced. We have to go through the hard times in life sometimes.

If however the season goes badly in afraid that it will be down to him and something is wrong, very wrong. I hope it's a hangover from Suarez going, sg leaving and ds injured. A lot of things he did just didn't smell right but at the same time there is that light of hope there. That is the reason for my fence sitting approach.

The main lesson I hope he learns is just bloody win the game. If we do it in a barca type style then great but passing and passing and losing unluckily or whatever is just not good enough at this club. Win the game.

Like uncle bob told a young Ian Rush, just put the ball in the net we'll have a chat about your general play later.
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The_Rock » Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:01 pm

Rodgers has used all of his "get out of jail" card. If you think I am being harsh on him.....I got news for you. Another start to this upcoming season like the last one....and anfield is gonna turn "toxic". You already have away fans singing about rafa. Many fans have turned against Rodgers. Go to "This is anfield" and "Kop talk". He has been here for 3 years and he hasn't formed a special bond with the fans like how houllier, rafa and the king did.

In fact... I will go as far as to say he is much closer to Woy Hodgson than Rafa/Houllier/King in forming a bond with the fans.

I am doing a favour to Rodgers for wanting him out. I hope I am really wrong... but I just can't be optimistic about next season.
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:21 pm

The_Rock » Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:01 pm wrote:Rodgers has used all of his "get out of jail" card. If you think I am being harsh on him.....I got news for you. Another start to this upcoming season like the last one....and anfield is gonna turn "toxic". You already have away fans singing about rafa. Many fans have turned against Rodgers. Go to "This is anfield" and "Kop talk". He has been here for 3 years and he hasn't formed a special bond with the fans like how houllier, rafa and the king did.

In fact... I will go as far as to say he is much closer to Woy Hodgson than Rafa/Houllier/King in forming a bond with the fans.

I am doing a favour to Rodgers for wanting him out. I hope I am really wrong... but I just can't be optimistic about next season.

Fans are fickle and a good start to the season will change all of that. I guarantee it.

However, you're right about the BR having no more excuses or chances left....next season will be sink or swim and if he replicates last season's start then I'd wager he'll be gone before October.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby leeroy74 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:40 am

The_Rock » Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:01 pm wrote:Rodgers has used all of his "get out of jail" card. If you think I am being harsh on him.....I got news for you. Another start to this upcoming season like the last one....and anfield is gonna turn "toxic". You already have away fans singing about rafa. Many fans have turned against Rodgers. Go to "This is anfield" and "Kop talk". He has been here for 3 years and he hasn't formed a special bond with the fans like how houllier, rafa and the king did.

what a load of twaddle
leeroy74
LFC Super Member

Postby red till i die!! » Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:48 pm

Rodgers is saying it was his decision to shake up the backroom staff. He said he felt they just needed to move in a different direction  :laugh:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/ ... ol-6057352?
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby RedAnt » Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:26 pm

red till i die!! » Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:48 am wrote:Rodgers is saying it was his decision to shake up the backroom staff. He said he felt they just needed to move in a different direction  :laugh:

He must have seen all the "yay"s for Gary Mac and not seen the "who da fooks?" about O'Driscoll.
"The S*n: The paper you wipe your ars.e on and more sh*t comes off the paper"
RedAnt

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:13 pm

red till i die!! » Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:48 am wrote:Rodgers is saying it was his decision to shake up the backroom staff. He said he felt they just needed to move in a different direction  :laugh:

RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red till i die!! » Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:36 pm

RedAnt » Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:26 pm wrote:

He must have seen all the "yay"s for Gary Mac and not seen the "who da fooks?" about O'Driscoll.

He has said in an extended interview with Pearce that he knows O driscoll well from having put out teams against him in the past. He says he knows exactly what he is getting and thats why he wanted to work with him.
O driscoll is no 2 and linjders no 3 so where does that leave Mac ? He is just a fan pleaser IMO as he wasn't even in the picture till after he appointed the other 2.
If anything at least this clarifies who is calling the shots and IMO nothing has changed. Rodgers always was and still is in control of decisions regarding the team.

If anything all these changes will do is buy him another season regardless of how bad we are after the opening 7 or what our table position is at Christmas. All we will get is that its takes time to integrate all the new players and get them up to speed with the new coaching staff. Its about getting the team to gel and its unrealistic expecting that to happen straight away. Historically we always get better in January  :;):
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby red till i die!! » Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:39 pm

RED BEERGOGGLES » Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:13 pm wrote:

:laugh:
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby metalhead » Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:32 am

not really happy with our transfers so far, especially the quality that clubs like Chelsea and Man Utd have signed.

Cabaye was available for 13m and Begovic for 8m.... and we didn't even try to sign them let alone show interest. 2 players who would be massive signings.ù

very underwhelming
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Hustler 2015 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:10 pm

Anyone know Brendans
big plan?
Where are we heading under this man?
3 seasons, zero trophies and an average squad!!!
Don't fret, coz Gary Mac is back, and somehow gonna wave a magic wand at Melwood.

Shambles.
Last edited by Hustler 2015 on Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hustler 2015
LFC Basic Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion