Sean O'Driscoll

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Kopite-Jud » Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:35 pm

All but looks like Sean O'Driscoll will be number 2 next season.

Rodgers says he's one of the best coaches around and has pin pointed him for the position.

Thoughts?
Kopite-Jud

Postby red till i die!! » Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:56 pm

Had to google him  :laugh:
Linder's and O' driscoll Vs Marsh and Pascoe  :glare: Struggling to think why we bothered.

Anyway welcome to the club Sean and best of luck  :nod
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby redshade » Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:30 am

Reallt wanted Pako. Heard this guy has managed lower leage teams and England u19 lol.
oh Well if this marriage don't work both will be out by Decemeber.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby Buck Rodgers » Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:37 am

Had mixed fortunes as a manager but he will be at the club as a coach and to help BR

If that's who he wants then its better to have him and see how he does
Buck Rodgers
LFC Advanced Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:22 am

Rodgers hasn't appointed a stalking horse as his number 2 that's for sure.
To be fair to O Driscoll he is someone who believes in expansive football, in fact he could be described as the 'Brendan Rodgers of the lower league's'. He's 57 and has managed quite a few teams himself (Notts Forest, Bristol City and Doncaster Rovers) and he's currently coaching the England U-19's.
There's clips on YouTube of some of his team's knocking the ball about tiki taka style which takes a bit of doing in the lower divisions.
Maybe O Driscoll and Lijnders aren't the most high profile of additions we could have made but at least the coaching staff will all be singing off the same hymn sheet.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Kopite-Jud » Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:49 am

I'm a touch confused why Pascoe and Marsh got the shove for someone with less experience?
Kopite-Jud

Postby johnbarnes » Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:13 am

If expansive football and tiki-taka football means we will no longer watch Mignolet play as a creative centre back; but rather an out and out shot stopper, then this proposed new managerial team will have worked. At least in the short term
johnbarnes
LFC Super Member

Postby Kopite-Jud » Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:21 am

Amid rumours of an Anfield return for Liverpool legend Sami Hyypia as assistant manager to Brendan Rodgers, the Reds look to have opted for the uninspiring appointment of Sean O’Driscoll.

O’Driscoll, who looks to have been plucked from the England set-up by Liverpool, was earmarked by Rodgers who has been a long-time admirer of the 57-year-old as the Northern Irishman begins the overhaul of his backroom staff.

‘The problem is that the guys who are ‘that type’ of [expansive] coach, you never hear of them really,’ Rodgers told the Guardian in October.

‘Look at Sean O’Driscoll. He is one of the best coaches I have ever come across. He has never had a chance in the top flight. His teams were expressive, had movement, they were technical, but he will probably never get a chance at a higher level.’

But the expected appointment of O’Driscoll has still come as a surprise to many supporters who know very little about the current England U19 coach. The former Bournemouth, Doncaster Rovers and Bristol Rovers manager has a win ratio that will give the Anfield faithful nightmares for weeks.

Sean O'Driscoll's club win ratios Bournemouth 36% Doncaster Rovers 36% Nottingham Forest 38% Bristol City 25%

— Indigo (@IndigoLFC) June 29, 2015

Rodgers’ former assistant and long-standing confidante Colin Pascoe, was sacked alongside Mike Marsh who both paid the price for a disappointing campaign last season.

No Brendan.... You don't hear about them because they are not good enough.  :no
Kopite-Jud

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:27 am

Kopite-Jud » Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:49 am wrote:I'm a touch confused why Pascoe and Marsh got the shove for someone with less experience?

I wouldn't say O Driscoll is less experienced than Pascoe and Marsh mate, he's near 60 years of age and has managed some decent sized clubs albeit in the lower divisions.
To be fair to him football down there is a cut throat business and to be prepared to stick to your footballing principles in a world were hoof ball gets results takes a bit of doing. Don't forget flair players don't get the protection from refs in the lower leagues and when you come up against 16 stone bodybuilder CF's like that lad at Wimbledon every week it's easy for teams to get bullied out of games.
Fair dues to him.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby johnbarnes » Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:40 am

Should this appointment happen, I think it's fair to say that there will be a treacle influx of u19 English players to follow. We should have the pick of the bunch with insider knowledge. I'm hopeful for the best.
johnbarnes
LFC Super Member

Postby Kopite-Jud » Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:44 am

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:27 am wrote:
Kopite-Jud » Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:49 am wrote:I'm a touch confused why Pascoe and Marsh got the shove for someone with less experience?

I wouldn't say O Driscoll is less experienced than Pascoe and Marsh mate, he's near 60 years of age and has managed some decent sized clubs albeit in the lower divisions.
To be fair to him football down there is a cut throat business and to be prepared to stick to your footballing principles in a world were hoof ball gets results takes a bit of doing. Don't forget flair players don't get the protection from refs in the lower leagues and when you come up against 16 stone bodybuilder CF's like that lad at Wimbledon every week it's easy for teams to get bullied out of games.
Fair dues to him.

Someone with less top flight experience***

Someone coaching under 15's might try and play the right "brand" of football but that doesnt qualify him for a top job IMO for me you MUST have pedigree/experience of a top club.  I may be being a touch naive but at the top level its a completely different kettle of fish.
Kopite-Jud

Postby mart » Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:02 am

johnbarnes » Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:40 am wrote:Should this appointment happen, I think it's fair to say that there will be a treacle influx of u19 English players to follow. We should have the pick of the bunch with insider knowledge. I'm hopeful for the best.

This sounds like the only reason for this appointment.
mart
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:07 am

Kopite-Jud » Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:44 am wrote:
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:27 am wrote:

Fair dues to him.

Someone with less top flight experience***

Someone coaching under 15's might try and play the right "brand" of football but that doesnt qualify him for a top job IMO for me you MUST have pedigree/experience of a top club.  I may be being a touch naive but at the top level its a completely different kettle of fish.

True, Lijnders hasn't much experience but he is dutch, highly rated and an advocate of total football, Rodgers is obviously surrounding himself with like-minded coaches, in fact the appointment of O Driscoll and Lijnders suggests that he wasn't quite seeing eye to eye with Pascoe and Marsh in terms of playing style.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby The_Rock » Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:51 am

I am not surprised with this appointment. Sean O is a good coach. He is an upgrade over Pascoe and Marsh combined. But we really needed someone with European/continental experience to come in as an Asst Manager.

If ...for example, we got in Hyppia/Paco as a AM and Sean O comes in as a 1st team coach...well that would be a perfect combination. Sean O works with the daily "nitty-gritty" coaching stuff (and developing youngsters) and Hyppia/Paco setting up tactics and training for the European game mid week (and analysing the weakness of the domestic opposition to exploit ...etc).

Well...my mind is made up on Rodgers ....so I can't say I am disappointed with this appointment. He keeps hiring people who won't be a threat to his job. Well that's fine and all..... I can't see him lasting the full season this august. With no one questioning his  stupid ar$e tactics...he is still gonna think that he is god's greatest gift to football (and women). He is gonna make the same mistake. We are not gonna play with a DM protecting the defence. Our Wingbacks are gonna be be our furtherest players upfield (and they won't put in any crosses). Our GK will be expected to play as a Sweeper. We won't practice set pieces (defending and attacking)..... Our defence won't have any protection at all. Our lone striker will be expected to press, defend, create chances on his own.

So .....same ol $hit.  FSG loses more money trying to make things work for Rodgers. And that's fine for me too  :wwww . They deserve to lose more money because they are backing the wrong person.

I can't believe FSG were so brutal with the King....but they seem to be willing to bend over for Rodgers. It has to be his shiny set of teeth...surely.
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red till i die!! » Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:31 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:22 am wrote:Rodgers hasn't appointed a stalking horse as his number 2 that's for sure.
To be fair to O Driscoll he is someone who believes in expansive football, in fact he could be described as the 'Brendan Rodgers of the lower league's'. He's 57 and has managed quite a few teams himself (Notts Forest, Bristol City and Doncaster Rovers) and he's currently coaching the England U-19's.
There's clips on YouTube of some of his team's knocking the ball about tiki taka style which takes a bit of doing in the lower divisions.
Maybe O Driscoll and Lijnders aren't the most high profile of additions we could have made but at least the coaching staff will all be singing off the same hymn sheet.

He has won 36% of games with Bournemouth in 6 years, 36% with Doncaster in 5 years, 38% with Notts Forest and 25% with Bristol city. He has been through 3 clubs since 2012 before settilng into the england job just a few months ago.  The man has never worked at the top level so IMO it's not an upgrade on pascoe who has that experience and helped rodgers write that hymn sheet.

I had honestly believed that the changes were to get a more experienced backroom team on board but its not. Its just rodgers surrounding himself with more yes men.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion