Rooney - NOT world class ?

International Football/Football World Wide - General Discussion

Postby Boocity » Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:54 am

Yes okay Stu I will qualify that by saying if we truly had a world class player like messi etc build the team around them but we don't and Rooney isn't one and Barkley isn't one yet either and may never be. Having him in the squad but him being undroppable are two different things.
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Stu the Red » Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:45 am

I lean towards agreeing with you... But it kind of goes against personal experience... I agree sometimes great players need dropping as a kick up the *****. The point about experience being that you feel more confident when better players are in the side, when one of your best players is missing or dropped you often question a manager even though you shouldn't and it can sometimes lead to a lack of concentration or give you an excuse if you dont perform.

Rooney is a strange case too as he clearly still has tremendous quality but is nowhere near the level he was a few years ago. He seems to have lost half a yard and gone a bit stale, but he can still pull rabbits out of hats.
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby Tibbers » Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:31 pm

He's an overrated and overpaid player IMHO. I just couldn't get over his horrendous free-kick against Italy.

http://nesn.com/2014/06/wayne-rooney-ta ... oss-video/
Tibbers
LFC Basic Member

Postby RedAnt » Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:34 am

He's a world class turd.

I've never rated him. All the professionals I'm sure know better than I do, but I've never seen him do a lot. Remember Gazza introducing himself to the world stage in 1990? Or Suarez storming the PL with us last year? The ridiculous goals to games ratios of Messi and Ronaldo? Beckham against Grease? Rooney is seriously over rated. If those around him don't perform, then nor does he.
"The S*n: The paper you wipe your ars.e on and more sh*t comes off the paper"
RedAnt

Postby RedAnt » Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:48 pm

He'll break the record. Not because he's good, but because England are sh*t.
RedAnt

Postby Big Niall » Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:04 am

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:06 pm wrote:Rooney is world class IMO, and I think England might surprise a few people this summer.
If Hodgson picks the likes of Sturridge, Sterling, Barkley, Shaw and Lallana I think England would be a tough proposition for any team.

Gerrard             Barkley

Sterling            Rooney           Lallana

Sturridge

England usually go to the World Cup with a team full of arl crabs and United players who shouldn't be in there but a midfield/forward line like the one I've posted has a lot of pace and energy about it.

Embarrassed ?
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Big Niall » Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:08 am

RedAnt » Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:34 am wrote:He's a world class turd.

I've never rated him. All the professionals I'm sure know better than I do, but I've never seen him do a lot. Remember Gazza introducing himself to the world stage in 1990? Or Suarez storming the PL with us last year? The ridiculous goals to games ratios of Messi and Ronaldo? Beckham against Grease? Rooney is seriously over rated. If those around him don't perform, then nor does he.

Are you claiming a beckham goal against Greece makes him world class ?

He was like Anna Kournakova , good player but never great , you think Zidane watched him and thought "wow, what skill"?

Best English player of my lifetime is Scholes , by a million miles.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Big Niall » Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:12 am

Rooney was the same level as Ronaldo , has the same natural talent ( one level down from messi) but Rooney wants to smoke , eat junk food , not practice penalties ( see Ferguson comment ) , etc . Not world class but should have been , if keegan or beckham had his talent ...
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RedAnt » Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:56 pm

Big Niall » Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:08 am wrote:

He was like Anna Kournakova , good player but never great , you think Zidane watched him and thought "wow, what skill"?

Well there was far more to Beckham than the goal against Greece. I'm not certain he was world class. Some of his qualities were world class though. And it's not fair to compare him to Ana Kournikova. She had much better baps.
RedAnt

Postby Big Niall » Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:59 pm

RedAnt » Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:56 pm wrote:
Big Niall » Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:08 am wrote:

Well there was far more to Beckham than the goal against Greece. I'm not certain he was world class. Some of his qualities were world class though. And it's not fair to compare him to Ana Kournikova. She had much better baps.

He was a world class crosser, however he was slow , couldn't beat a defender , rarely scored from play , was a poor headerer and even his free kick abilities dwindled . I'd say "good" , at best , due to his crossing. Paul scholes could control a game and split open a defence from the centre , hence Ericsson picked him on the left wing in 2004 !! you know so that creative genius lampard could play in the centre .

As for Rooney, only one or two really good seasons , had it all too young and with his personality had no will to develop.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Football World Wide - General Discussion