Rumour of the day - For the miserable tw@ts amongst you

Liverpool Football Club - The Rumour Mill

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat May 30, 2015 7:27 pm

Doeboy » Sat May 30, 2015 5:47 pm wrote:Watching Benteke play, got serious doubts whether he is the striker for us especially for the fee being mentioned . Good player and gives defences headaches but really not convinced he will be suited to our style

Yeah I have to agree, you can't judge a player on one performance but it's no secret that his strengths are his physicality and his aerial ability, given our attack is composed mainly of small technical players like Coutinho and Lallana I just don't see him being a natural fit for our front line.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat May 30, 2015 7:45 pm

ethanr » Sat May 30, 2015 6:43 am wrote:
SkippyRed » Fri May 29, 2015 3:18 pm wrote:James Pearce also said we had no interest in Sakho.

And Rogers said we had no interest in Balotelli  :D

You lads could be right, apparently Inter's manager Roberto Mancini mentioned in a press conference that Kovacic has been holding talks with another club. He said a deal is a long way off but it's not beyond the realms of possibility that Kovacic will leave either.
Hope it is us!
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Kash_Mountain » Sat May 30, 2015 8:31 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » May 30th, '15, 19:45 wrote:
ethanr » Sat May 30, 2015 6:43 am wrote:
SkippyRed » Fri May 29, 2015 3:18 pm wrote:James Pearce also said we had no interest in Sakho.

And Rogers said we had no interest in Balotelli  :D

You lads could be right, apparently Inter's manager Roberto Mancini mentioned in a press conference that Kovacic has been holding talks with another club. He said a deal is a long way off but it's not beyond the realms of possibility that Kovacic will leave either.
Hope it is us!

Well, if LFC put in proper bid instead of a 'joke' one, like they did, then perhaps a deal can happen between the two clubs. Having said that, he may go to Barca with Song and (maybe) Pedro going to Inter on loan.

ABSOLUTE STRENGTH       

ImageImage
Kash_Mountain

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat May 30, 2015 9:45 pm

Apparently there is some sort of transfer ban on Barcelona this summer so we might have a chance
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Soupyzrx » Sun May 31, 2015 2:55 am

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat May 30, 2015 8:45 pm wrote:Apparently there is some sort of transfer ban on Barcelona this summer so we might have a chance

Yeah, were they not supposed to be banned from making any signings last summer too, but they appealed it so that the ban would be lifted until the appeal hearing, so they could steal Suarez.
They mangle the rules to suit themselves.
Quis custodiet ipsos costodes?
Soupyzrx
LFC Advanced Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun May 31, 2015 9:31 am

A lot of the papers are saying that we will sign Benteke for £32.5m on £150k per week.
He's a decent target man but he's nowhere near worth that figure, for that type of outlay we could bring in a top player from the continent.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Doeboy » Sun May 31, 2015 11:09 am

Absolutely ridiculous money for him. Benteke is a good player but £32m odd and 150k per week good?

We are almost desperate in the way we approach transfers. Martinez likes to play the ball on the ground and at the bitters and Lukaku struggles in that setup. Just hope we are not going to have the same problem if Benteke does sign
Doeboy

Postby woof woof ! » Sun May 31, 2015 11:43 am

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun May 31, 2015 8:31 am wrote:A lot of the papers are saying that we will sign Benteke for £32.5m on £150k per week.
He's a decent target man but he's nowhere near worth that figure, for that type of outlay we could bring in a top player from the continent.

:nod  agreed.

From the Liverpool Echo the other day.

Liverpool need a more experienced and more established striker to give them the firepower they were sadly lacking this season. They need an injection of real quality in the final third.

The fact that the transfer committee have decided that Benteke is that man will divide opinion among supporters.

For a start, there is the small matter of the fee.

Villa boss Tim Sherwood is adamant that the Belgium international won’t go anywhere unless a club triggers his £32.5million release clause this summer.

Liverpool had initially hoped to land the 24-year-old for around £20million but it’s now clear they will have to increase that offer considerably.

“There’s a buy-out clause in his contract so it will be impossible for us to stop him if he wants to go,” Sherwood said.

“Someone’s got to meet that buy-out clause and if they don’t it won’t be considered because we don’t want to lose him.”

For that kind of price Liverpool can get better than Benteke

Even Benteke’s biggest admirers would have to question whether he’s really worth £32.5million. That would make him the second most expensive signing in Liverpool’s history.

If you are prepared to pay that kind of money then fans will rightly ask why you aren’t going for the likes of Napoli’s Gonzalo Higuain, Lyon’s Alexandre Lacazette or Porto’s Jackson Martinez. Although whether they would join a club who can’t offer Champions League football is debatable.

But concerns over Liverpool’s pursuit of Benteke stretch further than how much it will cost to prise him away from the Midlands.

For a start there’s his injury record. A ruptured Achilles tendon last April forced him to sit out the World Cup finals in Brazil as he spent six months on the sidelines.

On his return to action in October, he struggled for form. It was only following the appointment of Sherwood that he came to life - scoring a dozen goals in his last 12 appearances to save Villa from relegation.

To describe Benteke as flavour of the month would be harsh. Since arriving from Belgian outfit Genk in 2012 for around £8million, he has scored 49 goals in 100 appearances for Villa, That’s an impressive strike rate.

But how he would slot into the way Liverpool play is unclear. He’s a 6ft 3ins targetman who feeds off getting service from wide areas. He bullies centre-backs when crosses come into the box.

However, no Premier League club attempted fewer than Liverpool’s tally of 409 crosses from open play over the course of the campaign.

Carroll was shown the door so where would Benteke fit in?

The last player the Reds had of Benteke’s ilk was Andy Carroll, who was shown the door soon after Rodgers arrived at Anfield three years ago because he didn’t fit the style.

For the first half of this season the manager repeatedly bemoaned the absence of an attacker who had the pace and movement required to burst in behind defenders and could set the tone by pressing the ball relentlessly.

With Sturridge out, Balotelli was far too stationary, demanding the ball to his feet and simply couldn’t or wouldn’t adjust to what he was asked to do.

It was no coincidence that Liverpool enjoyed their best spell of the season when Raheem Sterling was utilised as a makeshift No 9 and Philippe Coutinho suddenly had a moving target for his defence splitting passes.

Benteke would help Rodgers in his mission to make the Reds more combative. He would offer the kind of physical presence they currently lack.

Yet it requires a leap of faith to believe that Benteke really is the answer, especially if the price tag is £32.5million. Unless Liverpool are about to make a significant change to how they play, they could end up trying to fit another square peg into a round hole.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby damjan193 » Sun May 31, 2015 11:48 am

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun May 31, 2015 10:31 am wrote:A lot of the papers are saying that we will sign Benteke for £32.5m on £150k per week.

Bring back Joe Cole and Downing and we're set.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby parchpea » Sun May 31, 2015 11:50 am

Benteke is Andy Carrol is Lambert is Balotelli, it makes absolutely no sense at all.

We have chosen to play without a centre forward at all when left the option of playing either of the latter.

If Rodgers utters Benteke once in Boston next week I would expect FSG to terminate his contract immediately.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun May 31, 2015 12:29 pm

There are reports in Spain linking us to Villareal CF Luciano Vietto. He's a 22 year old Argentinian striker who has been compared to Aguero and his buy out clause is only £15m, problem is though the report also said that Arsenal and Atletico have agreed to meet his buy out clause too, both of those clubs can offer CL football.
That's our problem I suppose, we are now well down the pecking order, that's why we have to pay £32.5m to get Benteke.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Kash_Mountain » Sun May 31, 2015 1:17 pm

parchpea » May 31st, '15, 11:50 wrote:Benteke is Andy Carrol is Lambert is Balotelli, it makes absolutely no sense at all.

We have chosen to play without a centre forward at all when left the option of playing either of the latter.

If Rodgers utters Benteke once in Boston next week I would expect FSG to terminate his contract immediately.

Agreed. £32.5m is the 'quoted' price, but on top of that are the agents fees, and all the other fees that go with it. So, in the end, if BR stays, and he wants Benteke (who, imo, is not that good), would end up costing LFC close to £36 - 37m, maybe a little more, and the £150k a week.  Ridiculous if you ask me.

Also, it depends how LFC are going to be setup next season. Benteke does have issues when the ball is not played up to him quickly and early.  If LFC want to defend deep, then counter quickly, he may be useful. Though, if you look at how Chelski have been playing, he'd probably fit in nicely there due to how they use a lone striker......... If BR is still here next season (I'm hoping he is replaced), there is no way of knowing which system he will employ, but having a guess, his philosophy rubbish that has got the club in the mess they are in, and he really doesn't learn from his mistakes.  All in all, buying someone like Beneteke, who, imo, is very dependent on the style of football being played to suit him (i.e. he finds it hard to adapt) is a bad idea. I don't see BR building a team or playing a style to suit him. In all honesty, LFC needs someone like Benzema (a big wish), as he can adapt to different styles of play.

ABSOLUTE STRENGTH       

ImageImage
Kash_Mountain

Postby JC_81 » Sun May 31, 2015 4:26 pm

I've said before I don't think Benteke is the best fit for us, but what I would say to those saying that we could get better than him for that price, is who would want to come??

We're out of CL again, Rodgers isn't a big draw for established players and Gerrard will be gone, who has been our biggest draw for top players over the years.  We will really struggle to get established names into the club this summer even though that's what we need, which gives us a problem.

The only way we are going to get big names/established players into the club this summer is to throw big contracts at them, like it or not.  The alternative is buying 'potential'.

But I do think there are good players, realistic targets, that would improve us.

Begovic, Clyne, Song, Pedro, Kondogbia, even Benteke would all improve our starting XI.

There are others like Illaremendi and Isco who might not be beyond us, maybe on an initial loan, who we should be gunning for.

Imo the likes of Ings, Austin or Milner coming in would be a complete waste of time and resources.

But unfortunately those calling for the likes of Benzema are deluded.  Top class talent like that will have better options, financially and competitively.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kash_Mountain » Sun May 31, 2015 5:26 pm

JC_81 » May 31st, '15, 16:26 wrote:I've said before I don't think Benteke is the best fit for us, but what I would say to those saying that we could get better than him for that price, is who would want to come??

We're out of CL again, Rodgers isn't a big draw for established players and Gerrard will be gone, who has been our biggest draw for top players over the years.  We will really struggle to get established names into the club this summer even though that's what we need, which gives us a problem.

The only way we are going to get big names/established players into the club this summer is to throw big contracts at them, like it or not.  The alternative is buying 'potential'.

But I do think there are good players, realistic targets, that would improve us.

Begovic, Clyne, Song, Pedro, Kondogbia, even Benteke would all improve our starting XI.

There are others like Illaremendi and Isco who might not be beyond us, maybe on an initial loan, who we should be gunning for.

Imo the likes of Ings, Austin or Milner coming in would be a complete waste of time and resources.

First and foremost though, LFC's very first activity in the TW will be to bring in a top quality manager.

But unfortunately those calling for the likes of Benzema are deluded.  Top class talent like that will have better options, financially and competitively.

ABSOLUTE STRENGTH       

ImageImage
Kash_Mountain

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun May 31, 2015 5:59 pm

JC_81 » Sun May 31, 2015 3:26 pm wrote:I've said before I don't think Benteke is the best fit for us, but what I would say to those saying that we could get better than him for that price, is who would want to come??

Yep, spot on.
It does beg the question though why we never set our sights a bit higher last summer when we had just finished runner up, had CL footy to offer and also money to spend.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

PreviousNext

Return to The Rumour Mill