Job too big for Rodgers?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Is the job too big for Rodgers and last season was a flash in the pan down to Suarez carrying us?

Yes
55%
No
36%
Not sure
9%

Total votes : 78

Postby Thommo's perm » Fri May 29, 2015 10:02 am

eds » Fri May 29, 2015 12:06 am wrote:
Thommo's perm » Thu May 28, 2015 10:36 am wrote:
With respect eds, the thread is titled "Job too big for Rodgers?". The whole topic of conversation is about his ability (or lack of it) to make LFC a force again. The discussion is primarily focused on whether he should keep his job or be sacked, not whether FSG should go?
You make some decent points, but the majority of people both on and off here are discussing the manager's future, and they are putting our decline down to him. I think its too easy to make him the scapegoat, and like you, I see other elements adding to our current state. But I stand by my comments and believe that the summer will be a key time in his leadership, and once the distractions are sorted he will show what he can do, or not, as the case may be?
:)

I only said what i had to say because you bluntly stated that the supporters wanting Rodgers out are blaming him for ALL our problems.

I want him out but I completely understand that he isn't the beginning or end of our problems, bringing in another manager will not currently help us.

But neither will keeping him. 

We need our owners to sell up, or grow some ba.lls fire Rodgers bring in a quality manager and BACK him with funds and none of this moneyball or youth policy nonsense.

I can't seem them doing this though.   :no

eds, those supporters who I have spoken to at the match and in pubs, in the street or on facebook say they blame Rodgers for the state of LFC. The papers, television and radio are running with the story of his potential sacking and who the new successor could be? You are concurring with me that it is not just Rodgers who is to blame for our decline.
So we agree
:buttrock
Thommo's perm

Postby mramo » Fri May 29, 2015 1:16 pm

Octsky » Fri May 29, 2015 5:14 am wrote:the way i see it is this, it's quite simple actually,
currently we have three top managers who had won the league - carlos ant, klopp and rafa,
available. this means that we can appoint either of them without paying millions in compensation.

i see this as a perfect opportunity, but should we decided to sack BR mid next season then the above mentioned
managers will not be available, at least without huge financial costs involved.
so it is really an easy decision now.

To be precise Rafa wont be available to Liverpool as he's set to be installed as RM Manager. Carlo will decide next week where he will be going but that will likely be AC Milan to replace Inzaghi although whether he would prefer the idea of managing a team with no european football next season is open to debate. Personally would love to see Carlo at Anfield.

Which really leaves us with only one option. Klopp.
mramo

Postby fivecups » Fri May 29, 2015 3:03 pm

Klopp wants Liverpool job:

http://metro.co.uk/2015/05/29/jurgen-kl ... s-5219148/

Probably BS but for me the question isn't should Brendan stay or go it's what happens IF he stays and in particular whats the alternative??

If it was Klopp and he's money to spend and will stay for three years then I'd make the change. If it sacking Brendan with no planned replacement then stick with where we are.
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mramo » Fri May 29, 2015 4:50 pm

fivecups » Fri May 29, 2015 2:03 pm wrote:Klopp wants Liverpool job:

Probably BS but for me the question isn't should Brendan stay or go it's what happens IF he stays and in particular whats the alternative??

If it was Klopp and he's money to spend and will stay for three years then I'd make the change. If it sacking Brendan with no planned replacement then stick with where we are.

I wouldnt rely too much on Metro. Poor writers (I wouldnt even call them journalists), clearly lifting sources from other websites, papers. Its a free newspaper distributed on London Underground stations. I use it to rest my feet on.
mramo

Postby Big Niall » Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:41 am

mramo » Fri May 29, 2015 3:50 pm wrote:
fivecups » Fri May 29, 2015 2:03 pm wrote:Klopp wants Liverpool job:

I wouldnt rely too much on Metro. Poor writers (I wouldnt even call them journalists), clearly lifting sources from other websites, papers. Its a free newspaper distributed on London Underground stations. I use it to rest my feet on.

Is Ricky gervais cheaper vis a vis Brendan Rodgers ?
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Big Niall » Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:48 am

Why is Rodgers the best candtate in the world to be LFC manager ?
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The_Rock » Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:20 am

It would be hard for Rodgers to continue to stay on as LFC manager ...... The fans have turned against him. Its so bad that even a defeat in one of those pre-season games and the pitch-forks are gonna come out.

FSG are dumb to give Rodgers such a lucrative contract last season after some "relative" success. Yeah, they were coerced into giving one when the likes of gerrard goes to the press and articulates how he is the best manager around (no wonder Rodgers finds it hard to not pick gerrard). But FSG have to be smart enough.

Maybe this is the reason why they are playing hard-ball with sterling as they were burnt by giving Rodgers a un-deserved contract. But they were dumb enough to hire this fraud the 1st time...so hopefully they get their fingers burnt this time. If they go cheap and keep Rodgers... its gonna affect the sponsorship deals. No-one wants to be associated with a mid-table team not competent in Europe (that's what we are under David Brent mark II).

Screw you FSG.... You wanted to go cheap with a manager. You reap what you sow.
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby leeroy74 » Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:43 am

however, 2013-2014 season and they were a whisker away from winning the Premier league. whats your point?
leeroy74
LFC Super Member

Postby Soupyzrx » Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:03 am

leeroy74 » Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:43 am wrote:however, 2013-2014 season and they were a whisker away from winning the Premier league. whats your point?

That was entirely down to Luis Suarez.
The Season just past shows the actual potential (or lack of) of this current team and management structure. Pretty dismal.
Soupyzrx
LFC Advanced Member

Postby red till i die!! » Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:43 pm

He needs to go but I doubt he will  :down:

Personally I don't know many fans that actually want him to stay so leaving him in charge increases the pressure five fold. He can apply all the duct tape he wants to try and hold it together but it will be more of the same shyte again. Players not adapting, Increased expectancy at a big club, Not having time to get them around to his way of playing, Statistically we get better in january  and that is not even stooping so low as to pull the gerrard card which he will by october.

And another year of his interviews  :help
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby C-R » Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:05 pm

It is being suggested that Rodgers met with Werner and Gordon today and BR is still our manager
C-R
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red till i die!! » Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:18 pm

C-R » Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:05 pm wrote:It is being suggested that Rodgers met with Werner and Gordon today and BR is still our manager

Didn't think they would can him anyway  :down:

Will things just carry on as they are ?  :down:
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby C-R » Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:25 pm

red till i die!! » Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:18 pm wrote:
C-R » Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:05 pm wrote:It is being suggested that Rodgers met with Werner and Gordon today and BR is still our manager

Didn't think they would can him anyway  :down:

Will things just carry on as they are ?  :down:

Liverpool Echo just published this....

Brendan Rodgers has today held “positive” talks with Liverpool chairman Tom Werner as part of the club's end-of-season review.

Rodgers met with Werner and Fenway Sports Group executive Mike Gordon in Liverpool city centre to assess a disappointing campaign with the Reds having failed to win silverware or qualification to the Champions League.

The talks are believed to have been progressive, with both parties having agreed to move forward together.

It would therefore confirm the long-held belief there is no appetite for FSG to change manager despite Rodgers commenting after the dire 6-1 defeat to Stoke City on the final day of the campaign that “if the owners want me to go, then I go”.

Rodgers was expected to be quizzed on where the season went wrong, what mistakes were made, his opinion of the transfer committee and his plans for the future.

Werner arrived in Merseyside on Tuesday night, with completing a free transfer deal for chief summer target James Milner also high on his agenda.

Liverpool have already held advanced talks with the 29-year-old, whose contract at Manchester City expires at the end of the month, and are believed to have offered a deal in the region of £150,000 a week.

And while City are making late efforts to persuade Milner to stay, the player has been reluctant to commit his long-term future over fears of a lack of playing time, with Liverpool a more likely opportunity for more regular football in his preferred central role.

Arsenal are among several other clubs interesting in Milner but Reds chiefs want to tie up the deal in the next few days, with the player involved in England's friendly against the Republic of Ireland on Sunday ahead of their Euro 2016 qualifier versus Slovenia.

Confident of capturing Milner, Liverpool will then turn their attention to Danny Ings, another player out of contract in the summer.

Ings, also being tracked by Tottenham Hotspur, is understood to prefer a move to Anfield, but aged just 22 the Burnley striker would command a fee set by a tribunal, despite being available on a free transfer.

Liverpool must improve their bid for Southampton full-back Nathaniel Clyne having had a £10m offer rejected, while they are pondering an approach to Aston Villa over Belgian forward Christian Benteke.
C-R
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby C-R » Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:55 pm

New director of football will be...... Sepp Blatter   :nod

Only joking of course

Looks like BR is safe, sky sports news, bbc and others all saying he will get more time
C-R
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Doeboy » Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:22 pm

Looks like BR will be hanging around. I think if things go pear shaped early on next season, don't be surprised to see Klopp suddenly wanting to make a return to football and ending up at us
Doeboy

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion