Job too big for Rodgers?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Is the job too big for Rodgers and last season was a flash in the pan down to Suarez carrying us?

Yes
55%
No
36%
Not sure
9%

Total votes : 78

Postby C-R » Mon May 25, 2015 7:26 pm

Look who it is  :nod

C-R
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Mon May 25, 2015 7:37 pm

Thommo's perm » Mon May 25, 2015 6:23 pm wrote:Of course you are entitled to your opinion RBG as am I, but I am not "fawning" at all, and its a bit disrespectful of you to say that. I am speaking with experience and knowledge about something I believe I know about. Unless FSG lose their nerve and listen to the mob calling for Rodgers' head, then Im afraid he is here for the foreseeable future? I am not happy with whats gone on and Im hoping, for our sake, that he accepts he has fu'cked up this season? If he doesnt, then he will probably be gone by Christmas.
I am not an apologist or a di'ckhead. I believe that Rodgers needs to admit he got it wrong and should fight tooth and nail to prove he has a future here. If he doesnt then the more knowledgeable people like yourself will be proved right...
:eyebrow

I don't think anyone is claiming to be more perceptive here mate ,or for that matter basking in the fact they called it correctly. I'm just personally bewildered
how a disillusioned minority could still advocate handing this odd little man another season and an opportunity to further our ignominy.
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Thommo's perm » Mon May 25, 2015 7:46 pm

There you go again with the name calling? But I think were all disillusioned, not just a minority?
???
Thommo's perm

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Mon May 25, 2015 7:58 pm

Thommo's perm » Mon May 25, 2015 6:46 pm wrote:There you go again with the name calling? But I think were all disillusioned, not just a minority?
???

:D

I'm trying mate ,but the pro Rodgers faction leave me a mite perplexed .
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Homebooby » Mon May 25, 2015 8:05 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon May 25, 2015 3:03 pm wrote:
Homebooby » Mon May 25, 2015 1:18 pm wrote:I've avoided contributing to the inevitable misery that is being repeated here too much, but as it's the end of the season I have to say that I am v. surprised at how things fell apart. Genuinely I had faith in BR and I had faith in the team and I really saw a chance of us repeating the close season in the same way as we did last year. I tried not to jump on the bandwagon at the beginning of the season and was quietly confident that I would be shown to be right as we turned things around post ManU in December. this was always going to be a tough season and I really feel for BR having to navigate the Suarez situation as well as Carra and Stevie in their twilight years and inevitable moving on. To be fair, I thought that he had handled it mostly with aplomb.

Which leads me to the last month or so...quite what has gone wrong I do not know and it has led me to believe that BR has lost the dressing room and that his position is almost untenable. No matter what he does from here on in, he'll be 3 games away from 'sacking headlines' and I don't think the club an afford that. I do not for the life of me understand how any 20 year old can destabilise a club so much and that points to a total lack of control at the club. I cannot imagine Fergie allowing that to happen, nor Van Gaal and certainly no one from the 60's up to Kenny's first departure. It's like the Spice Boys on crack and it needs to have the rot stopped by someone and fast.

If BR had the pull for the big players that we so desperately need to stop us from slipping further down the table, I would be 100% behind him, but honesty prevents me from saying that hand on heart.

If BR had an impressive history of titles and championships to bitchslap any dissenters with, ditto, but that is not the case

If BR was brave enough to bring someone in to work in the bootroom that was more successful than he's been, then that would even be a start ,but I can't see Mr. Pascoe and co going anywhere...this is the gravy train and the best shot they'll most likely ever get......I wouldn't give it up.

Don't get me wrong, when we really play, we play some of the best football I have seen us playing since I was a kid. I love it and point to it as everything that Liverpool stood for and should strive to be....but that isn't enough any more...which bring me back to the initial point

Even if BR does hang on (and lord knows it's the liverpool way) he'll be 3 losses away from the sack from now on and that essentially makes his position untenable.

The only man on the market at the moment who can sort most of the above out is Jurgen Klopp. He's won stuff, he's got credibility coming out of his ears, he's capable of attracting top class players to Liverpool, he should sort out the dissent and get everyone in line, he might even attract Carra back to the club as I think he's keeping his distance until something that looks like it might stand a chance comes along. He's also got the class of a Liverpool manager, watch that last speech he made a couple of days ago....class, class, class, class, class......he'll fit right in.

It pains me to say it, but Brendan stands no chance from now on here....he's become the story as they say and when you're the story, you're over.

Good post mate, better than the usual vitriolic personal shyte you read on here.
We all knew what we were getting when we went for Rodgers, after Hodgson and Kenny the common consensus seemed to be that we needed a fresh approach. Everyone accepted that he was the same age as Ryan Giggs, that he hadn't had much top flight experience and that he would make mistakes.
Well we got exactly what was on the tin, we got 18 months of terrific football mixed in with some poor runs of form and we also got the type of gaffe's young managers invariably make when someone shoves a microphone under their nose.
Rodgers is like a young player,  he is not the finished article and he's learning as he goes along.
I think he has shown enough promise to warrant another season, he has quite clearly lost the dressing room but a lot of the players he has fallen out with like Balotelli and Sterling probably won't be there next season, neither will big characters like Gerrard, Lucas and Johnson so he will have the opportunity to stamp his authority on the place.
As I have said, in those 18 months from January 2013 to last May I not only saw some great football but some of the best football that I have ever seen out of any Liverpool side and I go way back to the mid 70's. I want to be 100% completely sure that Rodgers is not the real deal before I'd let him go, he had a lot on his plate this season which may have affected his performance, he is inexperienced after all, so I'd give him another year.

Some fair points as well. Honestly I wish we wouldn't have to make a change as I truly think that he's one of the few people that truly 'get' LFC and he doesn't strike me as a journeyman at all. I think it is fair to say that you get what you paid for here and I was under no personal illusions that he was going to magic up 20 years of experience overnight. I reiterate my comments about the football style....I am scared of losing that again to be honest with a change, but I can't overlook the glaring gaps we have all the way through the squad and even considering that the first season for many is a difficult year to come into the Premiership and/or step up to a club like LFC, I am not brimming with confidence that there is anything major to change next season.

The one thing that bugs me more than anything else is our inability to defend a set piece. This is a common thread over the 3 years (whenever Carra wasn't playing) and a fundamental point that should be relatively easily corrected by anyone worth their salt (look at Pulis wherever he goes) and just plainly hasn't been. It's cliche, but you build from the back up and we're still way too shaky to stand any chance of beating the top 4 at this point. I don't have faith that this will change unless we get several 30mill+ players who can sort themselves out. Not sure that's going to happen.

The biggest concern in general for me though and what has swayed me to say we need a change is what we lose if we stick with what we have and we don't improve. What if we slide further again.....6-1 to Stoke does not bode well. We have a struggle to recover now...the climb might be even further and less attractive then as well.

A new manager (Klopp) would unite the fans and wipe the slate clean with the team. For those favouring Rafa (and I supported him to the end as well) I fear that his coming back will divide the fans and we really don't need that. We might get back to winning ways and honestly I would support him if he came back, but I really can't get excited about playing the side to side not going anywhere football he'd have us return to.

Something HAS to give though. If BR is to stay, let's ensure we get behind him, but I would hope that a few things change. I'd like to see him given full autonomy to sign who he wants and make it clear the buck stops with him. The other thing that needs to change is the backroom. We need some history there and we need much better people. With a manager who has won nothing, the players might lack some inspiration, but to see Carra back working the defence, John Barnes working the midfield and Robbie Fowler and Ian Rush working the lads up front.............
Homebooby

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Mon May 25, 2015 8:49 pm

Homebooby » Mon May 25, 2015 7:05 pm wrote:

Some fair points as well. Honestly I wish we wouldn't have to make a change as I truly think that he's one of the few people that truly 'get' LFC and he doesn't strike me as a journeyman at all. I think it is fair to say that you get what you paid for here and I was under no personal illusions that he was going to magic up 20 years of experience overnight. I reiterate my comments about the football style....I am scared of losing that again to be honest with a change, but I can't overlook the glaring gaps we have all the way through the squad and even considering that the first season for many is a difficult year to come into the Premiership and/or step up to a club like LFC, I am not brimming with confidence that there is anything major to change next season.

The one thing that bugs me more than anything else is our inability to defend a set piece. This is a common thread over the 3 years (whenever Carra wasn't playing) and a fundamental point that should be relatively easily corrected by anyone worth their salt (look at Pulis wherever he goes) and just plainly hasn't been. It's cliche, but you build from the back up and we're still way too shaky to stand any chance of beating the top 4 at this point. I don't have faith that this will change unless we get several 30mill+ players who can sort themselves out. Not sure that's going to happen.

The biggest concern in general for me though and what has swayed me to say we need a change is what we lose if we stick with what we have and we don't improve. What if we slide further again.....6-1 to Stoke does not bode well. We have a struggle to recover now...the climb might be even further and less attractive then as well.

A new manager (Klopp) would unite the fans and wipe the slate clean with the team. For those favouring Rafa (and I supported him to the end as well) I fear that his coming back will divide the fans and we really don't need that. We might get back to winning ways and honestly I would support him if he came back, but I really can't get excited about playing the side to side not going anywhere football he'd have us return to.

Something HAS to give though. If BR is to stay, let's ensure we get behind him, but I would hope that a few things change. I'd like to see him given full autonomy to sign who he wants and make it clear the buck stops with him. The other thing that needs to change is the backroom. We need some history there and we need much better people. With a manager who has won nothing, the players might lack some inspiration, but to see Carra back working the defence, John Barnes working the midfield and Robbie Fowler and Ian Rush working the lads up front.............

This 'side to side' football or retention of the ball just for the sake of it, has been resurrected under Rodgers this season ,I'm hazarding a guess you've watched our
last efforts  ??? As for the division of Liverpool fans ,do you honestly believe a chasm doesn't  already exist with the current manager at the helm ?

The man struggles with formulating any kind of game plan ,and the nuances of tactics escape him entirely ,its more than apparent that change is drastically needed.
Now is the time to act before the anger turns to disinterest and a complete lack of trust in the owners. I'm hopeful they witnessed the away fans ,you remember them
the last bastion to mirror a managers ambition and proposed blueprint for the future ,well the forever faithful hard core have turned mate ,proof positive that change
is required before this season's wounds turn black.
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby sgs » Mon May 25, 2015 8:52 pm

1. The challenge of assessing BR atm is that it is clouded by the debacle of a 5-1 thrashing. But it is equally clouded by the difficulty of separating his role in the decision on player recruitment last summer. The problem with LFC as the debacle of the season has shown clearly is both managerial and technical.

2. Last summer's recruitment was based on two important assumptions: the health of Sturridge and the immediate impact of Balotelli. Both failed spectacularly.

What is clear to me though is that from a management perspective, the overall strategy of FSG is very valid, and one that should be continued with important tweaks in a few places.
(a) The club must continue to look for value in the transfer marketplace. But it is crucial that the focus on young emerging talent be counterbalanced by the recruitment of experienced, first team caliber players.
(b) The scouting needs to improve drastically, with much greater reach and rigor.
(c) What is lacking however in the TC approach is a lack of accountability. Who do you hold accountable for failures? That's why IMO there needs to be a renewed consideration of a DOF at the apex of the TC structure.

3. On the technical side, what is clear to me is that while we have an innovative thinker in the manager, he lacks badly in matching the ideal with the reality. In BR's three years, its hard to count beyond one hand, the number of games LFC has played 90mins with a balanced performance in both offense and defence, and in the possession and non-possession phase. The type of goals the team concedes today are the very same it did in the first year of the manager! That for me is a very serious issue of concern.

4. A lot of focus on the current Barcelona team is on its attack, and rightly so. But for me the most impressive thing about the team is its defensive organization. Watching its positional discipline and defensive rotations in the road game to Atleti was like a brilliant piece of choreography...The inability to organize a team defensively, for me is the most important failure of Brendan Rogers.

5. The problem with this season became obvious very early on with Sturridge's injury and Balotelli's failure, at which point LFC's approach should have been refocused to ensuring balance, defensive solidity and consolidation.

Rather BR spoke about "how we LIKE to play..." (vs how we need to play), our "attacking principles"(vs our defensive principles), factors which were based on the availability to two brilliant strikers and an on-form captain. Those attacking principles are what led him to a 3-centerback formation, with two wide players masquerading as wingbacks, and stagnating the development of both Sterling and Ibe.

6. However in fairness to BR, one cannot overestimate the difficulty of playing/managing a team lacking proven goal scorers. Look at the evidence from the turning points in key road games:

- vs City: dominating in midfield, missed two crucial chances. Then City profit from a Moreno error and the game is turned
- vs United: created more chances than United yet lost 3-0
- vs Arsenal: rocky in the opening stanza; settled down; then missed two clear chances that would've changed the game
- vs United (H): crucial Lalana miss that should've tied the game at the half...
- vs Chelsea in Capital One Cup: plethora of missed chances...
Floyd stepped left and threw the hook that caught Hatton flush under the chin. Finally, the British champ had arrived in that mythical place of which his fans speak: Hatton Wonderland.
sgs

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Mon May 25, 2015 9:23 pm

Away fans at Stoke

Twitter /Facebook and any social network knobs can bemoan his reappointment all they want ,but he's still loved by the away fans.
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon May 25, 2015 9:47 pm

About this time ten years ago we were all going through the best night of football we will ever have thanks to that man RBG.
He's a non starter though, for one he's off to Madrid and according to the rumour mill him and Ayre don't get on.
That's putting it mildly.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon May 25, 2015 9:51 pm

With all the arguing about Rodgers we've forgotten to wish each other 'Happy Istanbul Day'  :buttrock
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Mon May 25, 2015 10:12 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon May 25, 2015 8:51 pm wrote:With all the arguing about Rodgers we've forgotten to wish each other 'Happy Istanbul Day'  :buttrock

That's something we can all agree on fella ,without doubt the greatest night in our history and I've experienced more than a few.

:buttrock
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon May 25, 2015 10:20 pm

RED BEERGOGGLES » Mon May 25, 2015 9:12 pm wrote:
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon May 25, 2015 8:51 pm wrote:With all the arguing about Rodgers we've forgotten to wish each other 'Happy Istanbul Day'  :buttrock

That's something we can all agree on fella ,without doubt the greatest night in our history and I've experienced more than a few.

10 years ago right about now.
Where does the time go?
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Mon May 25, 2015 10:49 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon May 25, 2015 9:20 pm wrote:
RED BEERGOGGLES » Mon May 25, 2015 9:12 pm wrote:

10 years ago right about now.
Where does the time go?

Ten years ago at this moment I was in a state of euphoria winding up Bitters in Lpool City Centre that were trudging out of bars wearing beer soaked Milan kits  :laugh:
Unbelievable night I ended up by Berry(God knows where I was heading ) St waving a banner with a crew of like minded fans whilst  a procession of cars came to a complete standstill ,car horns blasting in unison ....Never seen so many elated faces seemingly content with fans standing on top of their cars chanting Rafa Benitez   :D

Even when we won it for the third time beating Madrid I had never witnessed anything like this ,the City threw a carnival bedecked in red and white 

2005 what a year !
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Mon May 25, 2015 10:51 pm

He isn't going anywhere

Ridiculous really, he didn't get the same treatment as Kenny did.
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Mikz » Mon May 25, 2015 11:27 pm

Hes going nowhere, still most of the fan base behind him and the backing of players and ex players .  ???
'' Gary lineker may well have scored 5 goals in 5 minutes , but i think you have to say, what else did he do '' ...Jimmy Hill
Mikz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion