Job too big for Rodgers?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Is the job too big for Rodgers and last season was a flash in the pan down to Suarez carrying us?

Yes
55%
No
36%
Not sure
9%

Total votes : 78

Postby C-R » Fri May 22, 2015 5:19 pm

Kash_Mountain » Fri May 22, 2015 3:34 pm wrote:Topic of discussion right now on Talksport - LFC, BR, RS etc etc. Interesting so far.................

what was said mate ?
C-R
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Santa » Fri May 22, 2015 6:06 pm

Can we agree that...

1) Brendo have take the team a few steps back when we should be consolidating and seek to build on our results of last season

2) that he has (to a very large degree) squandered closed to £230M that was entrusted to him with only a few exception (e.g., Coutinho, Can...and to a lesser degree Sturridge when he is able to stay healthy)

3) that Brendo is technically and tactically inferior to many of the managers currently managing clubs in PL, with no track records of managing such a big organisation, never mind winning anything

4) that Klopp is more experienced, have a better resume and if you just came back from Mars and are to ask to choose someone to manage us today based on merit and without giving that lame "what if" speculation, that Klopp will be the name you pick?

5) that Brendo can't coach defence to save his teeth?

6) do not understand and get the best out of his players

7) highly possible that his training regime caused many of the injuries?

8) that he lied or gave conflicting stories on many occasion and cannot be trusted

9) is egoistic and have a mouth that you just want to punch in?

I keep hearing those who keep coming back and slam last season's results down our throat to justify their stubborn believe that we should not give Brendo the sack..."oh are we to sack a manager every year?" -- get the fuck outta here it has 3 years now sunshine. Football today (esp PL) is a multi billion dollar business and every bad results & mistakes will mean the manager's throat is always on the line. 3 years with ZERO success is enough to warrant a change at the top and adopt fresh new direction before we get left behind picking up crumbs.

TO DO NOTHING is the single most self-defeating disease plaguing human kind today...do you think repeating the same mistakes over and over again will yield a different results each time? If you do, then the discussion ends here  :help
Never try to teach a pig to sing...

...it only waste your time, and annoys the pig
Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby only me » Fri May 22, 2015 8:17 pm

devaney » Fri May 22, 2015 1:01 pm wrote:And ONLY ME if Klopp was given the job and finished next season mid table which is what he is going to achieve with BD you would want him sacked. Yes he has a track record and yes he has won titles and cup but they suddenly become worth very little when it all starts going wrong. Lets face it football fans (myself included) are a tad fickle !!

Pay attention you and especially Leeroy I haven't mentioned our league position as a reason for BR failure. .you guys are just locked over the name of the poster and not the content.

Ridiculous you even mention Klopp with BR on the same breath.
only me
LFC Super Member

Postby only me » Fri May 22, 2015 8:22 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri May 22, 2015 1:53 pm wrote:Some fans need to wake up and smell the coffee, 5 years ago this club was 2 days away from going under and in the high court fighting for its life. We were selling our best players not to cash in on them but to service the debt on all the leveraged buyout loans which were hanging over the club like the proverbial sword of Damocles.
We are not going to go from that dark place to footballing superpower in 5 minutes, this is a long hard road that we are on and without owners with deep pockets that road is even longer.
One season we finish second, the next we finish 5th, one season we finish 3rd, the next we finish 6th - that is how it is going to be until we find some way of levelling the playing field.
Brendan has done a decent job, yes compared to last season this one is a let down but it was always going to be a let down, we all knew last year that we were watching something special and something that wouldn't come around very often.
As I said if we finish 5th it will be our second best league finish since 08/09, beaten only by last year's 2nd place.
If Brendan goes this summer people will look back in the history books and think wow, that was tough on him, 2nd then 5th (and 2 semi's) and he lost his job? Talk about knee-jerk ism.

Do you even bother dealing with the points raised against BR or you are just on autopilot? ? Who cares 2nd 3rd or 5th?? We are back at the starting point after spending a shiite load of money with a very unstable squad and a lack of talent in many critical positions on the team...What little BR accomplished was destroyed by an arrogant careless prikkk.
only me
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri May 22, 2015 10:05 pm

only me » Fri May 22, 2015 7:22 pm wrote:
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri May 22, 2015 1:53 pm wrote:Some fans need to wake up and smell the coffee, 5 years ago this club was 2 days away from going under and in the high court fighting for its life. We were selling our best players not to cash in on them but to service the debt on all the leveraged buyout loans which were hanging over the club like the proverbial sword of Damocles.
We are not going to go from that dark place to footballing superpower in 5 minutes, this is a long hard road that we are on and without owners with deep pockets that road is even longer.
One season we finish second, the next we finish 5th, one season we finish 3rd, the next we finish 6th - that is how it is going to be until we find some way of levelling the playing field.
Brendan has done a decent job, yes compared to last season this one is a let down but it was always going to be a let down, we all knew last year that we were watching something special and something that wouldn't come around very often.
As I said if we finish 5th it will be our second best league finish since 08/09, beaten only by last year's 2nd place.
If Brendan goes this summer people will look back in the history books and think wow, that was tough on him, 2nd then 5th (and 2 semi's) and he lost his job? Talk about knee-jerk ism.

Do you even bother dealing with the points raised against BR or you are just on autopilot? ? Who cares 2nd 3rd or 5th?? We are back at the starting point after spending a shiite load of money with a very unstable squad and a lack of talent in many critical positions on the team...What little BR accomplished was destroyed by an arrogant careless prikkk.

Well I'm sorry but imo finishing 5th and getting to 2 semi finals is just not a sackable offence, especially when there are 4 clubs in this division with more resources and bigger wage bills than us.
I'm not saying the manager has done well, he hasn't, but he hasn't done enough to lose his job either.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Kash_Mountain » Fri May 22, 2015 10:13 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » May 22nd, '15, 22:05 wrote:
only me » Fri May 22, 2015 7:22 pm wrote:

Well I'm sorry but imo finishing 5th and getting to 2 semi finals is just not a sackable offence, especially when there are 4 clubs in this division with more resources and bigger wage bills than us.
I'm not saying the manager has done well, he hasn't, but he hasn't done enough to lose his job either.

Oh well, I suppose it shows how hard done by LFC have had it  ??? , especially spending all that money....

He's done more then enough 'harm' to get his marching orders

ABSOLUTE STRENGTH       

ImageImage
Kash_Mountain

Postby eds » Sat May 23, 2015 12:37 am

Yakka i think if you asked most forum members whether finishing 5th, being bundled out of Europe without a whimper and losing to Villa in a semi cup final was acceptable this season before the season started NO ONE would have agreed, especially considering all the money he was given to spend. Dont know where you are coming from?
"LIVERPOOL: 6 European Cups, 19 Domestic Titles, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 9 League Cups and 4 European Super Cups and 1 Club World Championship

All other English clubs pale into insignificance!"
eds

Postby Thommo's perm » Sat May 23, 2015 7:33 am

After tomorrows game Im sure there will be plenty of analysis and finger pointing. Amongst those being blamed for a somewhat mediocre (not disastrous) season will be the manager. Lets hope that the players, most notably Balotelli, Gerrard and Sterling are mentioned when it comes to attributing responsibility for the poor campaign.
As we wouldnt give the manager all the credit for success, so we shouldnt give him all the criticism for failure
:no
Thommo's perm

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat May 23, 2015 9:18 am

eds » Fri May 22, 2015 11:37 pm wrote:Yakka i think if you asked most forum members whether finishing 5th, being bundled out of Europe without a whimper and losing to Villa in a semi cup final was acceptable this season before the season started NO ONE would have agreed, especially considering all the money he was given to spend. Dont know where you are coming from?

I said myself it was a disappointing season mate, but if we start sacking managers for coming fifth and getting to two semi finals we'll be changing managers every other season.
No one is denying that he hasn't covered himself in glory this season, but has he done bad enough to warrant the sack? That is the question.
As I said mate when all the smoke and the dust has cleared this 5th place finish is our second best effort since 08-09.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby only me » Sat May 23, 2015 10:34 am

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat May 23, 2015 8:18 am wrote:
eds » Fri May 22, 2015 11:37 pm wrote:Yakka i think if you asked most forum members whether finishing 5th, being bundled out of Europe without a whimper and losing to Villa in a semi cup final was acceptable this season before the season started NO ONE would have agreed, especially considering all the money he was given to spend. Dont know where you are coming from?

I said myself it was a disappointing season mate, but if we start sacking managers for coming fifth and getting to two semi finals we'll be changing managers every other season.
No one is denying that he hasn't covered himself in glory this season, but has he done bad enough to warrant the sack? That is the question.
As I said mate when all the smoke and the dust has cleared this 5th place finish is our second best effort since 08-09.

We are talking about spend you are talking about 5th...we are talking about tactics;player selection ;game preperation you keep beating the semi finals...Why bother?
only me
LFC Super Member

Postby Thommo's perm » Sat May 23, 2015 11:52 am

I think spending is a distraction and I personally dont think it matters how much we spend. To get the right players to do the job is far more important and the spending is another excuse to beat someone up by using it as ammunition against them.
Every transfer is a gamble, no matter how much is spent. Some work, some dont. Its the same for every club. We got £50 mil for Torres and spent £35 mil on Carroll: didnt work. We bought Suarez for £22 mil: worked. £16 for Balotelli: didnt work. Yes you expect a player to fit in and do well, especially for the money that has been forked out, but there is no gurantee of success.
The spending is irellevant and only becomes important when it doesnt work out, because then the media and other fans criticise and mock the club
:nod
Thommo's perm

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat May 23, 2015 12:06 pm

only me » Sat May 23, 2015 9:34 am wrote:
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat May 23, 2015 8:18 am wrote:

We are talking about spend you are talking about 5th...we are talking about tactics;player selection ;game preperation you keep beating the semi finals...Why bother?

I said the same thing when everyone was lambasting Kenny for signing the likes of Carroll, Adam, Henderson and Downing so I am not going to start now just because Brendan is in charge.
The fact is that we don't know how much say our managers have in terms of player recruitment, what we do know is that the owners have a recruitment philosophy of their own, in fact they arrived in this country telling everyone that they were going to revolutionise the way people bought players in this country.
When they first arrived they said they found it astonishing that clubs bought players on the opinion of just one man - the manager. As much as it suits your agenda to pin all our failings in the transfer market on one man the truth is that player recruitment is a massive grey area at this club, that is why John Aldridge was in the Echo the other day calling for FSG to explain who exactly does what.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby RedAnt » Sat May 23, 2015 12:38 pm

People say there's no point changing manager because the owners would be the same and so the issues would remain. Reverse it. Do people think that with new owners then BR would become capable? If a new owner gave BR another £200m to spend at his leisure then we'd suddenly start signing top players and start winning things? With new owners would Suarez have stayed? Would Sterling want to stay? Would we have a plan B and C? Would training improve? Would players be better motivated? Would we still have signed Balo, Marko and the like, or would BR, without the committee, have refused them? If we had different owners and another £200m, and trusty BR at the helm, would we have hit any of our targets this season, rather than miss every single one? These aren't rhetorical questions. Someone please answer them.
"The S*n: The paper you wipe your ars.e on and more sh*t comes off the paper"
RedAnt

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat May 23, 2015 12:46 pm

RedAnt » Sat May 23, 2015 11:38 am wrote:People say there's no point changing manager because the owners would be the same and so the issues would remain. Reverse it. Do people think that with new owners then BR would become capable? If a new owner gave BR another £200m to spend at his leisure then we'd suddenly start signing top players and start winning things? With new owners would Suarez have stayed? Would Sterling want to stay? Would we have a plan B and C? Would training improve? Would players be better motivated? Would we still have signed Balo, Marko and the like, or would BR, without the committee, have refused them? If we had different owners and another £200m, and trusty BR at the helm, would we have hit any of our targets this season, rather than miss every single one? These aren't rhetorical questions. Someone please answer them.

You can't sack a manager on hypotheticals RA, that's ridiculous.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby kazza » Sat May 23, 2015 12:53 pm

Thommo's perm » Sat May 23, 2015 10:52 am wrote:I think spending is a distraction and I personally dont think it matters how much we spend. To get the right players to do the job is far more important and the spending is another excuse to beat someone up by using it as ammunition against them.
Every transfer is a gamble, no matter how much is spent. Some work, some dont. Its the same for every club. We got £50 mil for Torres and spent £35 mil on Carroll: didnt work. We bought Suarez for £22 mil: worked. £16 for Balotelli: didnt work. Yes you expect a player to fit in and do well, especially for the money that has been forked out, but there is no gurantee of success.
The spending is irellevant and only becomes important when it doesnt work out, because then the media and other fans criticise and mock the club
:nod

Good post
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion