Whats on tv  ? - Stuff to watch

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby laza » Mon May 18, 2015 10:16 am

I guess its all Eye of Beholder Mags

I tend not to judge any show by standards of premier league shows though.

As for Kingpin its the fact he not some sort of Dr Evil Bond Villian even though he looks like should have a cat. Rather a tortured soul who believes he is doing the right thing that I find appealing about the portrayal
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Mon May 18, 2015 10:04 pm

maguskwt » Sun May 17, 2015 4:33 am wrote:I don't get Daredevil... I've watched 4 episodes of it and find it extremely boring. I'm surprised you guys are waxing lyrical about it. The greatest disappointment is the Kingpin who is acting like a big baby and not interesting nor menacing at all. Some of his lines makes me say wtf and lol and it wasn't supposed to be funny. "Oooh, I don't do this much...", " You ruined my date..."  :laugh: how juvenile can you get...

The characters are unconvincing and the directing is also not that good. The only good parts are the fighting scenes. Maybe I'm spoilt by more serious movies and great acting in shows like Boardwalk, Breaking Bad, True Detective, House of Cards, Thrones etc etc.

Why do you guys love it? I would like to know... maybe it will convince me to watch further...

I think the concept of the Kingpin being a bullied browbeaten young man at the hands of his overbearing father has given rise to his social inadequacies ,and the
scriptwriters have incorporated this into his make up. I actually think acclaimed actor Vincent Onofrio's portrayal of Fisks erratic nature  is a highlight of the show.

I also think what's unique is unlike most adaptations of the super villain the writers have incorporated deeper character flaws ,and Onofrio breathes a freshness into
Fisk that thus far has been missing ,what's also incomparable to other screen adaptations is the close relationship he has with James Wesley ,its almost like an eponymous
family .

If you think about it Fisks vision for Hells Kitchen is unflinching and upon witnessing the drunken revelry and the obsequious drop into licentiousness of its inhabitants he
feels almost duty bound  to cleanse it of its vermin  ,and we're left in little doubt of the furious retribution that will soon fall on this unfortunate carousal.
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red till i die!! » Tue May 19, 2015 1:47 pm

RED BEERGOGGLES » Mon May 18, 2015 10:04 pm wrote:
maguskwt » Sun May 17, 2015 4:33 am wrote:I don't get Daredevil... I've watched 4 episodes of it and find it extremely boring. I'm surprised you guys are waxing lyrical about it. The greatest disappointment is the Kingpin who is acting like a big baby and not interesting nor menacing at all. Some of his lines makes me say wtf and lol and it wasn't supposed to be funny. "Oooh, I don't do this much...", " You ruined my date..."  :laugh: how juvenile can you get...

The characters are unconvincing and the directing is also not that good. The only good parts are the fighting scenes. Maybe I'm spoilt by more serious movies and great acting in shows like Boardwalk, Breaking Bad, True Detective, House of Cards, Thrones etc etc.

Why do you guys love it? I would like to know... maybe it will convince me to watch further...

I think the concept of the Kingpin being a bullied browbeaten young man at the hands of his overbearing father has given rise to his social inadequacies ,and the
scriptwriters have incorporated this into his make up. I actually think acclaimed actor Vincent Onofrio's portrayal of Fisks erratic nature  is a highlight of the show.

I also think what's unique is unlike most adaptations of the super villain the writers have incorporated deeper character flaws ,and Onofrio breathes a freshness into
Fisk that thus far has been missing ,what's also incomparable to other screen adaptations is the close relationship he has with James Wesley ,its almost like an eponymous
family .

If you think about it Fisks vision for Hells Kitchen is unflinching and upon witnessing the drunken revelry and the obsequious drop into licentiousness of its inhabitants he
feels almost duty bound  to cleanse it of its vermin  ,and we're left in little doubt of the furious retribution that will soon fall on this unfortunate carousal.

A few words of the day in there RBG  :D
Often actors don't do their characters justice but Onofrio really nailed this.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Tue May 19, 2015 2:31 pm

red till i die!! » Tue May 19, 2015 12:47 pm wrote:
RED BEERGOGGLES » Mon May 18, 2015 10:04 pm wrote:

family .

A few words of the day in there RBG  :D
Often actors don't do their characters justice but Onofrio really nailed this.

:D 

Sometimes I just get carried away mate ,its a genuine curse .  :;):
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maguskwt » Tue May 19, 2015 6:00 pm

RED BEERGOGGLES » Mon May 18, 2015 9:04 pm wrote:

family .

I'm afraid, your take on the character is more interesting than the character itself in the show. Yeah I kind of understand how they are trying to portray him and Vincent D'Onofrio is actually a very good actor. But I still feel that that kind of character is not suited for the role of the Kingpin. Maybe I'll warm up to the character yet, after watching more episodes. To me, this Fisk's characteristics are more in tune with those of a lone psychopath serial killer and not those of a crime boss who commands the respect of an army of followers. He doesn't look menacing enough, he isn't calculating enough, he isn't brilliant enough, he is just too weird and unpredictable. In fact James Wesley seems to be baby-sitting him, when he is supposed to be a self-made man/crime boss.
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Tue May 19, 2015 6:36 pm

maguskwt » Tue May 19, 2015 5:00 pm wrote:
RED BEERGOGGLES » Mon May 18, 2015 9:04 pm wrote:

family .

I'm afraid, your take on the character is more interesting than the character itself in the show. Yeah I kind of understand how they are trying to portray him and Vincent D'Onofrio is actually a very good actor. But I still feel that that kind of character is not suited for the role of the Kingpin. Maybe I'll warm up to the character yet, after watching more episodes. To me, this Fisk's characteristics are more in tune with those of a lone psychopath serial killer and not those of a crime boss who commands the respect of an army of followers. He doesn't look menacing enough, he isn't calculating enough, he isn't brilliant enough, he is just too weird and unpredictable. In fact James Wesley seems to be baby-sitting him, when he is supposed to be a self-made man/crime boss.

I think that's exactly the point though Mag's he's spent the best part of his life ostracised for his general girth whilst being humiliated by his father ,eventually resulting
in him splintering his dads cranium with a handy hammer. The consequences of this have impacted to the extent any form of rational thought is spiked somewhat ,the
man is driven by his  machinations for the re invention of Hells Kitchen ,beyond that he is indeed a sociopath ....I think his appearance in the mirror provides us with
enough evidence of this ,as his reflection shows him as the young Wilson Fisk ,an image that belies his years and sees him cocooned in the body of a child ,thus given
rise to the immaturity you speak of.
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maguskwt » Sun May 24, 2015 6:10 pm

Finished the first season of Daredevil. I would say it wasn't too bad in the end. The series picked up at episode 7 with the appearance of the stick. I would rate it 3/5. Still not too convinced with the side characters Karen and Foggy who seem to be still very one dimensional. Learned to appreciate the portrayal of the Kingpin even though I still think it's not possible for the characteristics he has to become a crime boss. Matt Murdoch character is also a bit flat. The anti-hero aspect of him was not really developed. Everything moves very slowly, I could fall asleep in the middle of an episode and when I woke up, I knew exactly what went on  :wwww. Would like to see the stick's gang in the following season, the Chaste or whatever. Will Elektra make an appearance? How about other superhero characters?

IMHO, the best anti-hero portrayal in a tv series would probably have to be Dexter. Even though they stretched that series too thin in the end and by season 6, it went downhill.
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby laza » Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:44 am

Felt Games of thrones has been treading water for last couple of episodes and rather disappointed  in Sand snakes.
Who felt as intimidating as butch bullies on Ladies college lacrosse team

However episode 8 delivered for me, what an absolute cracker  :buttrock
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maguskwt » Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:26 pm

laza » Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:44 am wrote:Felt Games of thrones has been treading water for last couple of episodes and rather disappointed  in Sand snakes.

What? You mean even after that Bronn seduction scene?  :p
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby laza » Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:02 pm

maguskwt » Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:26 pm wrote:
laza » Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:44 am wrote:Felt Games of thrones has been treading water for last couple of episodes and rather disappointed  in Sand snakes.

What? You mean even after that Bronn seduction scene?  :p

Yeah that one got extra marks for that I will admit :D
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Soupyzrx » Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:13 pm

Haven't seen it yet, just downloading it as I type this. Looking forward to seeing it though, as I was one of the Wildling extras on the jetty at Hardhome when Jon Snow arrived with Tormund and then charging about all over the shop being chased by dead things!
Soupyzrx
LFC Advanced Member

Postby laza » Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:31 am

That's pretty cool mate,
What part of Northern Ireland (??) was that actually filmed?
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maguskwt » Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:41 pm

Soupyzrx » Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:13 pm wrote:

Haven't seen it yet, just downloading it as I type this. Looking forward to seeing it though, as I was one of the Wildling extras on the jetty at Hardhome when Jon Snow arrived with Tormund and then charging about all over the shop being chased by dead things!

Wow... that's cool...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Soupyzrx » Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:13 pm

laza » Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:31 am wrote:That's pretty cool mate,
What part of Northern Ireland (??) was that actually filmed?

maguskwt » Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:41 pm wrote:
Wow... that's cool...

Yeah, it's really good fun lads. Really, really silly sometimes, but fascinating to see the amount of effort that goes into the shows, and the number of people involved is staggering.
The Hardhome sequences from the other night were filmed in Magheramorne Quarry in County Antrim, which is handy as it is literally 5 minutes from my house, making travelling to the set a bit of a breeze for me last year. :nod  (In fact, if you put 'Magheramorne Quarry' into Google Maps, you can see Castle Black tight in against the quarry cliff face and the Castle walls of King's Landing down at the lake, where the Battle of the Blackwater was filmed years ago. That is also the lake where the Hardhome camp was set up and all that was filmed for the last episode of GoT. The bits on the rowing boats an' all was done in the lake.
Most of the other extras are brought to the sets from Belfast by coach, and given that we were usually wanted on set for 4am it meant I could get an extra hour in my scratcher over all the other poor buggers.
People travel from all over to 'extra' on the show. There were a load of guys over from England and Scotland, and a few over from America and Canada. Crazy. I travel 5 minutes, they travelled halfway round the world!
One lad I got to know was traveling up from Cork by bus, which was taking him seven and a half hours! He ended up kipping in my spare room, cos by the time he'd paid bus fares and for hotel rooms, it was actually costing him money to take part.
They're currently starting to film Season 6 and if I get back in for this one, this'll be my 5th year as an extra on the show. I've been one of Robb Stark's Bannermen, a Grey Bannerman at the Red Wedding, One of Locke's henchmen working for Roose Bolton when Jaime Lannister got his hand chopped off and was brought to Harrenhal, one of Stannis' soldiers and last year, a Wildling, doing Wildling sh1t.
Hoping to maybe get into the Night's Watch this year, but I'll have to wait and see....
It's just about the only time in my life that being a long-haired beardy-bo11ocks has been advantageous to me!
Soupyzrx
LFC Advanced Member

Postby laza » Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:15 am

LOL good stuff mate and thanks for sharing

Talk about right place right time

Did you finally watch the episode ?
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat Forum