Job too big for Rodgers?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Is the job too big for Rodgers and last season was a flash in the pan down to Suarez carrying us?

Yes
55%
No
36%
Not sure
9%

Total votes : 78

Postby aCe' » Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:43 am

kazza » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:39 am wrote:
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:40 pm wrote:
Dundreamin is back » Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:55 pm wrote:Yes, but Bodgers didn't sign him

I know he didn't mate, my point is that Henderson is a far, far better player at 24 than he was at 21, some fans are writing off players like Moreno and Markovic already when they have an awful lot of developing to do.
Henderson at £16m was widely regarded as a complete waste of money and looked so out of sorts at one point that he was actually offered to Fulham, now he is an england regular and on the verge of being the club captain next season.

Good post, I think a lot of our fans are reacting to our position and not putting things into perspective. We do have a young and talented core of players that will only get better.what we lack is consistency because as we have looked poor this season we have also looked good. Typical of a young team.

We lack quality, and thus consistency. Having young players is all well and good if our aim is to win the u21 league, or to build a side that might be competitive in 2020. To compete at the highest level you need players who are ready here and now. 3 years from now, Markovic and Moreno still wont be any better than what our competition have. Henderson certainly isnt. Your logic & Yakka's dont hold much water when the results (and performances) on the pitch suggest these players have so far been failures.
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kazza » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:19 am

eds » Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:09 am wrote:How do you know they "will only get better"?

Can you see into the future Kazza?

Will Markovic, Can, Moreno, Ibe, and Origi all become WORLD BEATERS?

While you are gazing into your crystal ball, can you also tell us how much profit we will make off them?

It's only natural that they will be sold once they hit their straps, i.e. Suarez last season and soon to follow him Sterling.

Maybe now you understand why we are so pessimistic.......... :upside: 

But that's OK keep selling that pipe dream just like uncle Henry and uncle Rodgers want you to.

Not selling a pipe dream just keeping perspective. Young players  generally get better  :grinning:
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kopite-Jud » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:59 am

He's quoted as saying he expects us to challenge for the title next season...

He's lost the plot...

FA Cup semi "Gerrard outstanding"

West Brom - "Outstanding"

Next Season "Challenge for the league"

He sounds like he's trying to talk the teams chances up to the owners. He sounds to me like he's sweating for his job.  The owners would have sat down with him and said top 4 minimum.  Especially with a spend of £117,000,000.  In big games we are tactially inept. ALL Champions League games and ALL big games against the top 4 this season we have been DONE by better tacticians.

Even against Villa he changed tactics 3/4 times and couldnt get it right!

The owners NEED to consider this, but i'm concerned that with their lack of knowlege in the game it may hinder any move.

I'll hold my hands up and say I was more than happy with him last season.  But after simmering over it for 12 months we we're winning games 5-3, 6-2, 4-3 (no clean sheets) and that was all down to one man, ( Not the manager ) and it shown against Chelsea.
Kopite-Jud

Postby red till i die!! » Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:41 am

Rodgers  :nod "We can win the league in 12 months"  :laugh:

That whole interview with maddock is ridiculous and proves just how deluded the man is. He has to go or else we will be listening to the same shyte next season. Its all poor excuses that make the man look every bit the amateur he is.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby Kash_Mountain » Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:26 pm

red till i die!! » Apr 28th, '15, 11:41 wrote:Rodgers  :nod "We can win the league in 12 months"  :laugh:

That whole interview with maddock is ridiculous and proves just how deluded the man is. He has to go or else we will be listening to the same shyte next season. Its all poor excuses that make the man look every bit the amateur he is.

He promised the Owners that this season LFC would take the EPL Title,(one of his failed promises), hence they give him massive amounts to invest properly. All the fans got was potential. No quality to be seen this side of the universe.

ABSOLUTE STRENGTH       

ImageImage
Kash_Mountain

Postby Kenny Kan » Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:14 pm

It seems the tide has in no uncertain terms turned against Rodgers, among some of the fan-base.

Me? I'd like to see him here next season. I think he approaches the game in the right way, yes, he maybe a little green here or there but these aren't sackable offences by any stretch. I do admit, I sometimes tune out to his soundbites, as that's just his way of dealing with the media really, but the focus should be what he's done on the pitch and with the team.

Many will point out the big fat 0 of silverware by his name after three seasons, luckily social media wasn't around in Shankly's day because he would have been driven out the club by this medium; and LFC probably wouldn't be the institution it is today.

I think he's a good modern coach who, with the right guidance, and talent bought in the market could produce a team capable of muscling those in the top 4. There really is no point dissecting our transfers because the whole thing is made to obfuscate and muddy the waters, i.e. there is no accountability. Some say he got the players he wanted during the summer, others say certain players were his third choice - Balotelli, after Sanchez and Remy IIRC.

I think he's a talented coach, who given the right tools can get a team playing good, aggressive attacking football. Much like last season. I know people pin that all down to Suarez, yet many ironically point to the manager as the reason for failure this season because of our ordinary season. On the one hand, players like Suarez were responsible for getting us second last season, yet on the other, it's Rodgers' fault this season we find ourselves where we are. How does that kind of hypocrisy worK?

It's as plain as the nose of your face a manager will need quality players to challenge for honours, just like Suarez last season. Does this mean we discredit Maureen and say that if it wasn't for Matic, Fabregas, Costa, Terry et al, Maureen's team wouldn't be the champions elect now?

He has made some mistakes, he perhaps should have got more out of this ordinary squad than he did - definately the straw that broke the camels back for most was the disastrous whimper out of of an FA  cup semi to the mighty Villa. In fact, we also depressingly whimpered out of the CL as well. This isn't good enough. We haven't just lost Suarez, we've virtually lost Sturridge this season and the 15-25 goals he can get in a season. We've sorely lacked goals, and had we have had a player like Sturridge fit for longer, I don't think we'd be sitting 7 points off fourth spot right now. The replacements in the striker department simply haven't 'cut the Mustard' and as I said, I don't how much blame can be apportioned to Rodgers because we signed Balotelli for example who I think looks brain-dead on a football pitch.

I'd give him the benefit of the doubt, buy the additional quality as opposed to quantity that this team needs over the summer and see where we go from there. If we have a similar season next season, I'll say, Rodgers has taken us as far as he can but for me, I can't conclusively say that now because I think it's a season too early and considering we played some of the best football last season for 25 yrs and came as close as any manager and team in a quarter of a decade to winning the title, I think Brendan deserves another go at this.
Champions of England 2020.

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

Postby maguskwt » Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:37 pm

Kash_Mountain » Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:26 am wrote:
red till i die!! » Apr 28th, '15, 11:41 wrote:Rodgers  :nod "We can win the league in 12 months"  :laugh:

He promised the Owners that this season LFC would take the EPL Title,(one of his failed promises), hence they give him massive amounts to invest properly. All the fans got was potential. No quality to be seen this side of the universe.

When did he "promised" the Owners the EPL Title this season? Were you in the room with them when he made the promise? Show me a quote that says "Rodgers promised the owners the title" or something equivalent. Even now he is saying we can "challenge" for the title or we can "contend" for the title and not "promised" anything.
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maguskwt » Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:48 pm

Kenny Kan » Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:14 pm wrote:It seems the tide has in no uncertain terms turned against Rodgers, among some of the fan-base.

Me? I'd like to see him here next season. I think he approaches the game in the right way, yes, he maybe a little green here or there but these aren't sackable offences by any stretch. I do admit, I sometimes tune out to his soundbites, as that's just his way of dealing with the media really, but the focus should be what he's done on the pitch and with the team.

Many will point out the big fat 0 of silverware by his name after three seasons, luckily social media wasn't around in Shankly's day because he would have been driven out the club by this medium; and LFC probably wouldn't be the institution it is today.

I think he's a good modern coach who, with the right guidance, and talent bought in the market could produce a team capable of muscling those in the top 4. There really is no point dissecting our transfers because the whole thing is made to obfuscate and muddy the waters, i.e. there is no accountability. Some say he got the players he wanted during the summer, others say certain players were his third choice - Balotelli, after Sanchez and Remy IIRC.

I think he's a talented coach, who given the right tools can get a team playing good, aggressive attacking football. Much like last season. I know people pin that all down to Suarez, yet many ironically point to the manager as the reason for failure this season because of our ordinary season. On the one hand, players like Suarez were responsible for getting us second last season, yet on the other, it's Rodgers' fault this season we find ourselves where we are. How does that kind of hypocrisy worK?

It's as plain as the nose of your face a manager will need quality players to challenge for honours, just like Suarez last season. Does this mean we discredit Maureen and say that if it wasn't for Matic, Fabregas, Costa, Terry et al, Maureen's team wouldn't be the champions elect now?

He has made some mistakes, he perhaps should have got more out of this ordinary squad than he did - definately the straw that broke the camels back for most was the disastrous whimper out of of an FA  cup semi to the mighty Villa. In fact, we also depressingly whimpered out of the CL as well. This isn't good enough. We haven't just lost Suarez, we've virtually lost Sturridge this season and the 15-25 goals he can get in a season. We've sorely lacked goals, and had we have had a player like Sturridge fit for longer, I don't think we'd be sitting 7 points off fourth spot right now. The replacements in the striker department simply haven't 'cut the Mustard' and as I said, I don't how much blame can be apportioned to Rodgers because we signed Balotelli for example who I think looks brain-dead on a football pitch.

I'd give him the benefit of the doubt, buy the additional quality as opposed to quantity that this team needs over the summer and see where we go from there. If we have a similar season next season, I'll say, Rodgers has taken us as far as he can but for me, I can't conclusively say that now because I think it's a season too early and considering we played some of the best football last season for 25 yrs and came as close as any manager and team in a quarter of a decade to winning the title, I think Brendan deserves another go at this.

Very fair and good post mate. We are not saying that Brendan does everything right but that credit should be given to him for last year's title challenge which was closer than Rafa or Houllier's 2nd finishing seasons. He is a good and promising coach but still has alot to learn. Maybe if we do not win anything next season and also still finishes outside of top 4, maybe he should go. And totally agree with the dysfunctional transfer committee system. There is something just not right. We keep missing out on key targets and there are players that BR likes to exile (not talking about Balotelli here who totally deserves to be warming the bench). Either get a DOF which can work together with the manager or give total control to BR, in which case he can't blame anything and will be totally accountable.
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby andy_g » Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:56 pm

Kenny Kan » Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:14 pm wrote:It seems the tide has in no uncertain terms turned against Rodgers, among some of the fan-base.

blah... blah... blah... etc etc etc...

by the gods, man... i (mostly) agree with you. how many times have we been able to say that?

i've been thinking abioyt writing a lengthy post about all this for some time... but in the end couldn't be bothered. i'm too busy and there's too much noise from the "and i hate his teeth" crowd. without a doubt rodgers has made mistakes. he's young and he's learning. but at least he learns, at least he tries to find a way to make the team play attacking football whenever possible. maybe he could adapt faster, but that will come with experience.

results, for the most part, have been disappointing this season but i think there are mitigating circumstances that can't be all pinned on the manager. going quickly through them;
no body foresaw that our other star striker and scorer of many goals would miss almost the whole season
no body foresaw that gerrard's decline would be so rapid, or that some of his decisions would be so rash
no body foresaw that good new signings like markovic would not settle in at all during the season

and what we shouldn't at all be surprised about is that we couldn't attract the star turns during the summer. the way that we see liverpool football club and the way the modern mercenary footballer see liverpool football club are entirely different.

i want to see him over another season, a whole season without the gerrard issue and with a proper mobile and quick and goalscoring striker (i.e. not lambert or borini or sterling or balotelli) playing most games.

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RedAnt » Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:10 pm

Kenny Kan » Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:14 pm wrote:It seems the tide has in no uncertain terms turned against Rodgers, among some of the fan-base.

A good post. Not one I agree with though. Though I've never said anything along the lines of 'he should be sacked' I don't believe BR is good enough. If he's still in charge next season I'll still be here, wanting us to win, wanting BR to get it right.
If last season was due to Suarez and Sturridge scoring a buttload inspite of our defence leaking so many goals, and this season sees us back to "normal procedure under Brendan then isn't that simply seeing through the illusion that Suarez created? Say we didn't have Saurez last season then what would we rightly have achieved? 5th? 4th? 8th? Or would we have come second because we have BR as manager? It would have to have been 5th or lower for this years fifth place to be considered 'progress' wouldn't it? Forget Suarez this season and last and what have we achieved? I don't understand.
As for this transfer committee conspiracy, is it true that BR refused to work under a DoF, or is it forum speculation? As I've said before, if BR didn't want to work under a DoF then why on earth would he agree to work under a committee where he stands to look even worse? So he didn't want Balo, but he got him anyway and then had no idea what to do with him, making him a failed signing? People can blame committees all they like, but if BR agreed to those terms then that just confirms he's a fool.

As a footnote I wonder why BR didn't see Suarez board for Barcelona, the limping Sturridge, Borini who he's trying to sell and the incoming Balotelli and then run off to the committee and say "ya know what? We ain't got no strikers. Do'h! Knew we forgot something"
"The S*n: The paper you wipe your ars.e on and more sh*t comes off the paper"
RedAnt

Postby Boocity » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:59 pm

andy_g » Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:56 pm wrote:
Kenny Kan » Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:14 pm wrote:It seems the tide has in no uncertain terms turned against Rodgers, among some of the fan-base.

blah... blah... blah... etc etc etc...

by the gods, man... i (mostly) agree with you. how many times have we been able to say that?

i've been thinking abioyt writing a lengthy post about all this for some time... but in the end couldn't be bothered. i'm too busy and there's too much noise from the "and i hate his teeth" crowd. without a doubt rodgers has made mistakes. he's young and he's learning. but at least he learns, at least he tries to find a way to make the team play attacking football whenever possible. maybe he could adapt faster, but that will come with experience.

results, for the most part, have been disappointing this season but i think there are mitigating circumstances that can't be all pinned on the manager. going quickly through them;
no body foresaw that our other star striker and scorer of many goals would miss almost the whole season
no body foresaw that gerrard's decline would be so rapid, or that some of his decisions would be so rash
no body foresaw that good new signings like markovic would not settle in at all during the season

and what we shouldn't at all be surprised about is that we couldn't attract the star turns during the summer. the way that we see liverpool football club and the way the modern mercenary footballer see liverpool football club are entirely different.

i want to see him over another season, a whole season without the gerrard issue and with a proper mobile and quick and goalscoring striker (i.e. not lambert or borini or sterling or balotelli) playing most games.

Fed up of excuses, at the end of the day, no team that finishes a close second and spends a ridiculous amount of money transfers should play so inept the following season and whimper out of major competitions like we have. To say this season is a disappointment must be the understatement of the century it's been a disaster and I don't see how it's all going to come right next year.
Yes BR is a good coach but is he a good manager, strange team selections this year, poor record in the transfer market and awful foresight with what the loss of Suarez and Sturridges injury problems not being considered. Also look at the coaching staff we have, I think we have a poor coaching team compared to other top clubs and that's down to BR, is it just poor judgement by him or him wanting nondescript personalities so he is the main man. Looking at the transfer market lets say he is still here next season, do we honestly believe he will all of a sudden go out and buy the 3 to 4 quality players we need, well going by some of the rumours we are seeing at the moment players like Milner are not suddenly going to propel us to the top of the league. Some are saying we can't attract top players anymore as players are mercenary but is it that BR  cannot attract these players, can anyone honestly say a top manager with pedigree couldn't attract top players, I am not convinced and I really couldn't stand another season like this one.
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Doeboy » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:04 pm

Disregarded the the rights and wrongs of it for a minute,  will be very surprised if Rodgers starts next season with us. Really do think FSG will look in a different direction this summer.

This could be a pivotal summer in terms of how we get on in the next few years as now it looks like Utd have clawed back CL place and will no doubt splash more cash this summer along with the other three teams, we could be left well behind and I'm not sure FSG are convinced Rodgers is the man to get us closer to the.
Doeboy

Postby RedAnt » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:12 pm

Seeing Henderson on 100k a week leading a Liverpool side out that contains Glen Johnson at left back in a 1-0 defeat to Hull f*cking City sums up progress under Rodgers pretty perfectly for me.
"The S*n: The paper you wipe your ars.e on and more sh*t comes off the paper"
RedAnt

Postby only me » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:23 pm

And in another universe klop just kicked bayern out of the cup....
only me
LFC Super Member

Postby red till i die!! » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:30 pm

RedAnt » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:12 pm wrote:Seeing Henderson on 100k a week leading a Liverpool side out that contains Glen Johnson at left back in a 1-0 defeat to Hull f*cking City sums up progress under Rodgers pretty perfectly for me.

:nod
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion