Job too big for Rodgers?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Is the job too big for Rodgers and last season was a flash in the pan down to Suarez carrying us?

Yes
55%
No
36%
Not sure
9%

Total votes : 78

Postby The_Rock » Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:41 pm

Kash_Mountain » Sun Apr 26, 2015 2:23 am wrote:Just a bit of info as the review continues. The advisors looking at the situation as part of the top down review have suggested a couple of potential names, one is a South American (i won't name names) but apparently there is a language issue.

AvB was approached previously,  if the Owners see fit to remove BR, AvB may be asked to take over, and some believe that if he leaves Zenit, it'll be to LFC.  In any case, I don't want AvB anywhere near LFC

I can't believe FSG will be so dumb to hire AVB. He was sacked by Chelsea.....Sacked by Tottenham. What makes him good enough for us ?

If this is true....I am literally petrified of our future under FSG.
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:22 pm

andy_g » Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:27 pm wrote:
RED BEERGOGGLES » Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:29 pm wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/32468781

"I thought the players were outstanding, their courage and play on the ball. Across the team there were some outstanding performances,"

???

football players are like kids. keep telling them they are outstanding and making a great effort and they will respond. keep telling them they are useless and they will be useless. there are all sorts of quibbles we can have with some of his actions, but bigging up his players in a standard, public tv soundbyte is surely one of the smallest of them.

I think its more about him attempting to drape yet another disinterested performance with his favourite superlatives. Maybe he could stumble (In a similar way he does
with formations ) upon a different description other than 'outstanding' ,possibly one that doesn't set your teeth on edge when you hear it

I have no qualms Andy with managers stroking a players ego ,but does he really have to go all fucking 'Swiss Tony' over them   ???
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby parchpea » Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:21 pm

Rodgers is on rocky ground now and his post match sound bytes are becoming extremely tedious.

I cannot argue for management stability when Watford have had 4 managers since September and win promotion, Chelsea are also
ruthless in their dealings with managers, United where with Moyes.

I now believe that if FSG can put in place a manager they consider an upgrade Rodgers will lose his job this summer, short of that his
team next season will have to be very special to keep him in post until Christmas.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby maguskwt » Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:47 pm

I see we're having a field day eh? All of you can't be seen on the forum from last Xmas till March. I would love to see how you will all treat the next manager after 2 seasons. I don't even know who will be interested to come here. Klopp is never gonna come to another club banking on youth and not even as established in that as his old club. Rafa's never gonna come back after FSG had overlooked him 2 times. Some of you are so out of touch with reality it's unbelievable. Do you think that just because you want Kopp or rafa they'll come? Do you think that just because you want a world class player, they'll come to LFC? Rodgers despite being a good and young manager is a victim of his own pedigree or lack of...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby parchpea » Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:06 pm

2 seasons is a good run at a top club in modern football and Rodgers has enjoyed 3.

Out of the 92 clubs in England Rodgers is the 11th highest serving and if he manages to hold on to his job will no doubt
be quickly in the top 4 by Christmas 2015.

Statistically his heads on the block anyway.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby aCe' » Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:07 am

parchpea » Sun Apr 26, 2015 2:06 am wrote:2 seasons is a good run at a top club in modern football and Rodgers has enjoyed 3.

Out of the 92 clubs in England Rodgers is the 11th highest serving and if he manages to hold on to his job will no doubt
be quickly in the top 4 by Christmas 2015.

Statistically his heads on the block anyway.

Thats a great post and a very intersting stat. I havent called for Rodgers to be sacked at any point and I'm not about to do that now. My main issue is with the transfers and the playing squad. If we confirm the signings of 2 top players tomorrow I'd want for Rodgers to have another season in the job. I have my doubts though.
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:40 am

maguskwt » Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:47 pm wrote:I see we're having a field day eh? All of you can't be seen on the forum from last Xmas till March. I would love to see how you will all treat the next manager after 2 seasons. I don't even know who will be interested to come here. Klopp is never gonna come to another club banking on youth and not even as established in that as his old club. Rafa's never gonna come back after FSG had overlooked him 2 times. Some of you are so out of touch with reality it's unbelievable. Do you think that just because you want Kopp or rafa they'll come? Do you think that just because you want a world class player, they'll come to LFC? Rodgers despite being a good and young manager is a victim of his own pedigree or lack of...

Rodgers has been more than culpable in eviscerating his own defence ,and resorting to thinly veiled little digs simply confirms the 'apologists' are running out of
the high ground they believed they alone somewhat piously occupied  :;): I'm a great believer in the idiom 'give a man enough rope and he will hang himself' ,so
for the sake and well being of this great institution I hope FSG see through this blag artist and bring about the end of his tenure as Liverpool manager.
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Sun Apr 26, 2015 2:40 am

Red, I don't disagree with you, the question right now is have the manager and owners learnt from their mistakes, will they change? If not then it's lights out, hopefully though change in time to turn around the situation. This transfer committee strategy has been a disaster for example, so what are they going to d about it.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby eds » Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:06 am

maguskwt » Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:47 pm wrote:I see we're having a field day eh? All of you can't be seen on the forum from last Xmas till March. I would love to see how you will all treat the next manager after 2 seasons. I don't even know who will be interested to come here. Klopp is never gonna come to another club banking on youth and not even as established in that as his old club. Rafa's never gonna come back after FSG had overlooked him 2 times. Some of you are so out of touch with reality it's unbelievable. Do you think that just because you want Kopp or rafa they'll come? Do you think that just because you want a world class player, they'll come to LFC? Rodgers despite being a good and young manager is a victim of his own pedigree or lack of...

Give it a rest lad.

It's OK every now and then to put your hand up and admit you were wrong. There is no shame in it.

Rodgers needs to go at the end of the season and no amount of "I'm such a better fan than you lot because I will follow him blindly off a cliff" is going to change that.

This season isn't going to end well for him and the more you want to insult other posters with your broad statements that mean nothing, the more foolish, deluded and isolated you will appear.
"LIVERPOOL: 6 European Cups, 19 Domestic Titles, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 9 League Cups and 4 European Super Cups and 1 Club World Championship

All other English clubs pale into insignificance!"
eds

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:10 am

Good post mate.
I wouldn't even mind if he had done a particularly bad job, last year he came closer than any Liverpool manager in the last quarter of a century to winning the title and these whiners like to harp on about our performances in the CL forgetting that we hadn't been in it for 5 years.
It's plainly obvious that he hasn't got full control over transfers (the next manager won't either btw) but these lot would rather believe their own prejudices and conspiracy theories than facts.
You only have to look at RBG 's constant sniping about Rodgers post match comments, I mean how petty can you get, everyone knows that what gets said infront of camera's and what gets said in dressing rooms is completely different, managers trot out all that shyte so as not to give the press a Phil Brown type field day.
If we brought a new manager in they would soon be on his back, as I said the attitude of our so called fans these days is give us miracles or GTFO.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby UvS xR4GEx » Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:04 am

I disagree to a certain extent. On paper we are the most successful side in England, but things have changed massively over the last 20 years. Brendan has been brought in, hes also been given an acceptable amount of money to attract good players, but for some reason we've ended up with a mid-table squad. I like Rodgers, but after losing Suarez do I think he can compete for the league? My honest answer is no..

So that's whats frustrating me as a fan.. I feel he's lost the dressing room after isolating certain players too long. The players (his favourites) like Allen are not good enough to play week in and week out, but I think he's too stubborn to drop him.

I'm not necessarily calling for his head, but I see the future at the moment under Rodgers as very grim, and as a fan it's a worrying thing.
UvS xR4GEx
LFC Guru Member

Postby eds » Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:05 am

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:10 am wrote:

Good post mate.
I wouldn't even mind if he had done a particularly bad job, last year he came closer than any Liverpool manager in the last quarter of a century to winning the title and these whiners like to harp on about our performances in the CL forgetting that we hadn't been in it for 5 years.
It's plainly obvious that he hasn't got full control over transfers (the next manager won't either btw) but these lot would rather believe their own prejudices and conspiracy theories than facts.
You only have to look at RBG 's constant sniping about Rodgers post match comments, I mean how petty can you get, everyone knows that what gets said infront of camera's and what gets said in dressing rooms is completely different, managers trot out all that shyte so as not to give the press a Phil Brown type field day.
If we brought a new manager in they would soon be on his back, as I said the attitude of our so called fans these days is give us miracles or GTFO.

Whilst I partially agree with the sentiment Yakka, you can't absolve him of everything.

Last season was last season. This season he was given over 120m to spend and it all went ti.ts up for him.

The unanimous requirement every fan on this forum agreed to was a top 4 finish. Sorry to say mate, but that wasn't asking for a miracle.

That was a realistic expectation before the season started because at the end of last season we were a better side than both Arsenal and United. When we lost Suarez we lost ground.

To compound this we brought in average players and paid the price as Arsenal and United strengthened.

He would have had a say to which players came in, whether it was the final say is open to debate and discussion.

He alongside the transfer committee failed miserably just like they did last season and the season before that (with Sturridge and Coutinho the only 2 exceptions).

To simply say his hands were tied and he had nothing to do with all these players coming in is just plain wrong.

I really can't understand why you are having a pop at posters that want this club to move forward and not descend into mediocrity. Rodgers won't take us forward, even if he is given more money or more time.

The thing I agree with you though, is that neither will the current transfer committee or the way our owners want to obtain success.

Also I agree when a new manager comes in and they are given a pathetic budget to get us a top 4 spot coupled with selling our best players, then they will truly be asked to perform miracles.
"LIVERPOOL: 6 European Cups, 19 Domestic Titles, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 9 League Cups and 4 European Super Cups and 1 Club World Championship

All other English clubs pale into insignificance!"
eds

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:17 am

Yes we had money to spend last summer but we had to take a massive step backwards in order to raise the money, the likes of Chelsea, City, United and Arsenal didn't have to sell their best players to strengthen, we did.
There has been a huge gap between us and the top clubs ever since Rafa left 6 years ago, that gap was never going to be bridged in one good season.
Clubs don't stand still as United showed when they were out of the CL for 1 season, what did they do? Go smash the British transfer record by paying £60m for one player, then back that signing up with a host of other signings in the £30m bracket.
If Chelsea or City missed out on CL footy they'd probably throw even more money around than that.
We had one summer where we splashed out, even then we had to sell our best player, the other clubs have been doing it for a decade.
4/5 years ago we were signing the likes of Christian Poulson, Joe Cole and Paul Konchesky whilst Chelsea were splashing out £100m on Fernando Torres, David Luiz and Ramirez.
Why do you think big names weren't rushing to sign for us last season after we finished second? It's because they knew that any team can have one great season but to challenge in the long term you need serious financial muscle to back you up.
A one summer signing spree is nothing these days, to be a major player you need to have the ability to do that every summer, or at least until you stumble across a good side.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Kash_Mountain » Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:35 am

"Sell best players" is just an excuse, try telling that to the Mwancks, they sold CR, but that didn't stop from getting into the CL the following season did it. FSG don't trust BR with the money, (rightly so) hence that is why the Committee was brought - to help him, though the Committee was a bad idea in the first place, however, BR does have final say on players being brought in despite what one might read in the Press or Echo. He gave his full agreement to bringing Balo in, he chooses the players he wants to bring in, Balo was one of them, even though he didn't suit the system being employed. He doesn't suit any system BR employs.  Btw, 'nearly' getting the EPL title then doing a complete squad rebuild just because one players leaves, when it was all to apparent 18 months prior that he was going, is nigh on incredulous. LFC only needed 3 players max, he buys potential in stead of real quality. BR has wasted so much money, and that is partly the reason LFC find themselves with FFP issues. BR has to go.

ABSOLUTE STRENGTH       

ImageImage
Kash_Mountain

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:56 am

Kash_Mountain » Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:35 am wrote:"Sell best players" is just an excuse, try telling that to the Mwancks, they sold CR, but that didn't stop from getting into the CL the following season did it. FSG don't trust BR with the money, (rightly so) hence that is why the Committee was brought - to help him, though the Committee was a bad idea in the first place, however, BR does have final say on players being brought in despite what one might read in the Press or Echo. He gave his full agreement to bringing Balo in, he chooses the players he wants to bring in, Balo was one of them, even though he didn't suit the system being employed. He doesn't suit any system BR employs.  Btw, 'nearly' getting the EPL title then doing a complete squad rebuild just because one players leaves, when it was all to apparent 18 months prior that he was going, is nigh on incredulous. LFC only needed 3 players max, he buys potential in stead of real quality. BR has wasted so much money, and that is partly the reason LFC find themselves with FFP issues. BR has to go.

Believe you or believe the Echo? Err that's a tough one.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion