Job too big for Rodgers?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Is the job too big for Rodgers and last season was a flash in the pan down to Suarez carrying us?

Yes
55%
No
36%
Not sure
9%

Total votes : 78

Postby devaney » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:01 pm

Yakka your faith is admirable. I only wish I could share it. His performances in Europe, semi finals and too many big games has been left wanting. His tactics, decision making and handling of the media leave a lot to be desired. If it's a blip then it's a very big one. The jury has been out for a long time with Rogers and as much as it loathes me to admit it the likely verdict is beginning to look a lot clearer. I'm not being fickle or over reacting to yesterday's result. I've constantly given Rogers the benefit of the doubt but I really cannot continue to support his growing list of failings any longer.
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby red till i die!! » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:02 pm

Super post Ace. Very well put together.

Personally I wouldn't be happy with what he has achieved overall in his 3 years. He inherited a side that had more winning mentality than the one he spent the clubs biggest ever budget on. He even brought in steve peters to install a winning mentality and look at how that has worked out. He could have worked alongside van gaal but he wouldn't take the job under those conditions and yet look at what he has done with manure in 1.

I'm convinced he is just a compulsive waffler and leaving him in the job hoping to bring success in another 3 years is as big of a gamble as it was when he first got the job.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby Penguins » Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:52 am

Good post Ace, but my biggest gripe is the stats

Arsenal: 95 mill spent - Brought in: Ospina, Paulista, Chambers, Debuchy, Welbeck, Sanchez
Chelsea: 118 mill spent - Brought in: Filipe Luis, Cuadrado, Fabregas, Remy, Costa, Drogba
Man Utd: 145mill spent - Brought in: Valdes, Rojo, Shaw, Blind, Herrera, Di Maria, Falcao (loan)
Man City: 87 mill spent - Brought in:  Mangala, Sagna, Fernando, Bony

Why?

Cause it isn't just the transfer fee that counts in a transfer. You have agent fees, player preferences and of course the wage.

And it doesn't take a genious to figure out the difference between most of those names and the ones we bought...

Markovic might have cost 20 million but his wages are like 35000/week.
And there you have the difference between us and the rest.
Penguins
LFC Super Member

Postby aCe' » Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:04 am

Penguins » Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:52 am wrote:Good post Ace, but my biggest gripe is the stats

Arsenal: 95 mill spent - Brought in: Ospina, Paulista, Chambers, Debuchy, Welbeck, Sanchez
Chelsea: 118 mill spent - Brought in: Filipe Luis, Cuadrado, Fabregas, Remy, Costa, Drogba
Man Utd: 145mill spent - Brought in: Valdes, Rojo, Shaw, Blind, Herrera, Di Maria, Falcao (loan)

Why?

Cause it isn't just the transfer fee that counts in a transfer. You have agent fees, player preferences and of course the wage.

And it doesn't take a genious to figure out the difference between most of those names and the ones we bought...

Lets look at our summer transfers again for a second.

Simon Mignolet £60,000
Brad Jones         £40,000
Danny Ward £10,000
Mamadou Sakho £65,000 
Dejan Lovren £65,000
Martin Skrtel £75,000
Kolo Touré         £55,000
Alberto Moreno £50,000
José Enrique £65,000
Jon Flanagan £20,000
Glen Johnson £90,000
Javier Manquillo £10,000
Lucas         £65,000
Emre Can         £55,000
Henderson         £60,000
Joe Allen         £45,000
Steven Gerrard £140,000
Coutinho    £75,000
Adam Lallana £65,000
Jordan Ibe         £10,000
Raheem Sterling£30,000
Lazar Markovic £60,000
Daniel Sturridge £130,000
Mario Bolatelli £110,000
Fabio Borini £60,000
Ricky Lambert £45,000

thats 460k a week for the new players brought in. Higher than both Arsenal and ManCity who both made January transfers as well.

Arsenal:

David Ospina £40,000
Gabriel Paulista £50,000
Mathieu Debuchy£70,000
Calum Chambers£10,000
Krystian Bielik £2,000
Alexis Sánchez £130,000
Danny Welbeck £75,000

Total                 £377,000

Take it a step further and look at the wages of the Chelsea players.

Thibaut Courtois£120,000
Petr Cech         £100,000
Mark Schwarzer £42,000
Gary Cahill         £85,000
Kurt Zouma £40,000
John Terry £150,000
Christensen £10,000
Azpilicueta        £70,000
Filipe Luís         £75,000
Ivanovic         £65,000
Nemanja Matic £70,000
John Obi Mikel £75,000
Nathan Aké £20,000
Cesc Fàbregas £156,000
Ramires         £65,000
Lewis Baker £20,000
Oscar         £90,000
Willian         £85,000
Eden Hazard £200,000
Mohamed Salah £30,000
Juan Cuadrado £85,000
Diego Costa £185,000
Loïc Rémy £85,000
Didier Drogba £100,000

The top players aside (Hazard, Costa, Fabregas, Terry), the rest of the squad (Oscar, Ivanovic, etc.) get comparable wages to the ones we offer. Similar story at Man Utd. Compared to Arsenal, we actually overpay the dross we have in the squad (Ospina on 40k - same as Brad Jones, Koscieny on 60k - lower than Lovren, Monreal on 50k - lower than Enrique, Ramsey on 80k - How much did Henderson want again ?, etc.) 

The main reason we fall behind in the wages department is because of the type of player we bring in. Instead of focusing on signing quality, we decide on bringing in numbers. I dont know about you but I'd personally swap the 36 mill and 170k a week we paid for Balotelli and Markovic for a 32mill Costa on 180k/w every day of the week.
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Thommo's perm » Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:40 am

All things being equal, Rodgers would be a great manager. Unfortunately all things arent equal and he is clearly struggling with the pressure he and his players have put themselves under. I am really disappointed with the last couple of months, culminating in a disgrace of a semi final which was pathetic, pi'ss poor and embarrassing. I havent got a clue how hes going to turn it round because, whatever bu'llshit he comes out with, it is painfully clear that this team arent playing for him. And all the formations, tactics and team selections make no difference if their hearts arent in it.
He has clearly lost his way and must find the answer soon or this season will be an unmitigated disaster...
:glare:
Thommo's perm

Postby only me » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:01 am

aCe' » Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:04 am wrote:
Penguins » Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:52 am wrote:Good post Ace, but my biggest gripe is the stats

Why?

Lets look at our summer transfers again for a second.

Simon Mignolet £60,000
Brad Jones         £40,000
Danny Ward £10,000
Mamadou Sakho £65,000 
Dejan Lovren £65,000
Martin Skrtel £75,000
Kolo Touré         £55,000
Alberto Moreno £50,000
José Enrique £65,000
Jon Flanagan £20,000
Glen Johnson £90,000
Javier Manquillo £10,000
Lucas         £65,000
Emre Can         £55,000
Henderson         £60,000
Joe Allen         £45,000
Steven Gerrard £140,000
Coutinho    £75,000
Adam Lallana £65,000
Jordan Ibe         £10,000
Raheem Sterling£30,000
Lazar Markovic £60,000
Daniel Sturridge £130,000
Mario Bolatelli £110,000
Fabio Borini £60,000
Ricky Lambert £45,000

thats 460k a week for the new players brought in. Higher than both Arsenal and ManCity who both made January transfers as well.

Arsenal:

David Ospina £40,000
Gabriel Paulista £50,000
Mathieu Debuchy£70,000
Calum Chambers£10,000
Krystian Bielik £2,000
Alexis Sánchez £130,000
Danny Welbeck £75,000

Total                 £377,000

Take it a step further and look at the wages of the Chelsea players.

Thibaut Courtois£120,000
Petr Cech         £100,000
Mark Schwarzer £42,000
Gary Cahill         £85,000
Kurt Zouma £40,000
John Terry £150,000
Christensen £10,000
Azpilicueta        £70,000
Filipe Luís         £75,000
Ivanovic         £65,000
Nemanja Matic £70,000
John Obi Mikel £75,000
Nathan Aké £20,000
Cesc Fàbregas £156,000
Ramires         £65,000
Lewis Baker £20,000
Oscar         £90,000
Willian         £85,000
Eden Hazard £200,000
Mohamed Salah £30,000
Juan Cuadrado £85,000
Diego Costa £185,000
Loïc Rémy £85,000
Didier Drogba £100,000

The top players aside (Hazard, Costa, Fabregas, Terry), the rest of the squad (Oscar, Ivanovic, etc.) get comparable wages to the ones we offer. Similar story at Man Utd. Compared to Arsenal, we actually overpay the dross we have in the squad (Ospina on 40k - same as Brad Jones, Koscieny on 60k - lower than Lovren, Monreal on 50k - lower than Enrique, Ramsey on 80k - How much did Henderson want again ?, etc.) 

The main reason we fall behind in the wages department is because of the type of player we bring in. Instead of focusing on signing quality, we decide on bringing in numbers. I dont know about you but I'd personally swap the 36 mill and 170k a week we paid for Balotelli and Markovic for a 32mill Costa on 180k/w every day of the week.

This list if accurate is just plain criminal ,i have no other way to describe this. People in-charge of contracts and finance should be fired or sold for parts.
I can't believe we are paying that amount of money to players like ,Glen ,Borini ,Enrique ,Marco ,Lovern ,Skertel ,Balotelli and now Hendo ,this is sheer insanity. We could have doubled Alexis wages and bring him aboard. Just makes me sick.
only me
LFC Super Member

Postby red till i die!! » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:58 am

there is talk from maddock in the mirror that rodgers has been told he will remain in charge and be given money to spend  :down:  :help  Apparently he has a shopping list that includes Depay, w. carvalho, Danny fooking ings, milner and that neto lad. Of course when it comes down to it we will only end up with ings and milner on a ridiculous wage and everything repeats itself. The beeb were reporting that united had already made contact with psv over depay so as usual we will miss out because things will not change.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby woof woof ! » Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:28 am

From Mail Online

Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers fined for neglect after house he co-owns was left derelict with broken windows for three years

He's making a habit of doing stuff like this   :kungfu:

:D

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Santa » Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:01 am

red till i die!! » Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:58 am wrote:there is talk from maddock in the mirror that rodgers has been told he will remain in charge and be given money to spend  :down:  :help  Apparently he has a shopping list that includes Depay, w. carvalho, Danny fooking ings, milner and that neto lad. Of course when it comes down to it we will only end up with ings and milner on a ridiculous wage and everything repeats itself. The beeb were reporting that united had already made contact with psv over depay so as usual we will miss out because things will not change.

I have a feeling Brendan will not be a Santa Clause this year...and you know why?  :rasp
Never try to teach a pig to sing...

...it only waste your time, and annoys the pig
Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red till i die!! » Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:54 pm

Santa » Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:01 am wrote:
red till i die!! » Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:58 am wrote:there is talk from maddock in the mirror that rodgers has been told he will remain in charge and be given money to spend  :down:  :help  Apparently he has a shopping list that includes Depay, w. carvalho, Danny fooking ings, milner and that neto lad. Of course when it comes down to it we will only end up with ings and milner on a ridiculous wage and everything repeats itself. The beeb were reporting that united had already made contact with psv over depay so as usual we will miss out because things will not change.

I have a feeling Brendan will not be a Santa Clause this year...and you know why?  :rasp

The only clause I want to see him getting is the one that hopefully can's him for not making top 4  :nod  If that fails then maybe you could offer him the position of head elf ?  :D
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:29 pm

For the love of God ,I hope the owners let sanity prevail ,and turf this imposter out before he syphon's off our last remnants of credibility and with it any degree
of hope for the future ....Drastic changes are not required ,but ridding ourselves of a manager who is less Guardiola (but more orange) than Phil Brown is essential.
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dundreamin is back » Thu Apr 23, 2015 2:35 am

He's never going to be the solution all red fans want. The king was back for one whole season and we won a trophy got to the Final of another in one season. So if people on here start spouting off about last season. That was LAST season not this season. This season IMHO has been a abject failure. Embarrassed in the CL to which I have not witnessed as so bad. Ok we only lost 1-0 to Madrid away fact is we LOST and unless UEFA have changed the rules in which a team is awarded points for only losing by one goal then I apologise. Fact is we could not beat that European powerhouse Basle home or away. Then against the might of Ludogrets we sneaked a home win and despite leading away we still balls it up. Two semi final defeats and if my memory serves me right I don't think we have that dubious stat before. But remember all the class teams we had to beat en route to those semis. As for the Prem this season if we had not gone on that unbeaten run and really Man City were the only team of note we beat on that run. We would be languishing in the bottom half of the table. Rodgers seems more concerned about his fooking perma-tan and his bleached white teeth. As I have said before Phil Thompson should be given a chance. And I will bet anyone that he would do better than the present incumbent. If all fails get Rafa back. I don't know if what i am proposing would actually work, but after that debacle at Wembley last Sunday in which there was no fight, no spirit, no sturridge and no hope. My patience with the man blessed by the Blarney Stone has finally snapped. Enough is Enough
Dundreamin is back
LFC Advanced Member

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:21 pm

Please refrain from reading any further if you have a delicate disposition ,or if you're prone to baulking at shite falling from someone's mouth

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/brendan-rodgers-insists-im-still-9103635

Rodgers says he retains the full backing of owners Fenway Sports Group.

Asked if he was confident he would still be in charge next season, Rodgers said: “Very much so. I don’t think there is anyone better.
That’s the reality of how I see it. “Three months ago I was a tactical genius, performing to a good level.

“We lost some important games and now I’m not so good. That’s football, people will speculate.“I never get too carried away when
we win or overly disappointed when we lose as you have to look to the next game.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/video/football/video-1177934/Brendan-Rodgers-Theres-no-one-better-job.html  :Oo:
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maguskwt » Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:45 pm

So is it BR's fault that he inherited a severely unbalanced squad? Let me remind you that Kenny managed 8th in the league with Suarez in the squad, and also Charlie Adam, Stewart downing and Andy Carroll. The owners' decision to sack Kenny and appoint BR indicated that they wanted a different direction. To have a strong young squad with good foundation And not journeyman players like downing and Adams. In a way BR was limited in his first two seasons in terms of financial muscle in the transfer market. Proof is the debacle of how we missed out on sigurdson to spurs. And is it BR's fault that LFC is no longer considered a prime club destination for the elite players in the world? How did we miss out on players like Sanchez, Cavani, Ericsson, Willian, etc? Some on here still think that the LFC brand could bring whichever player we liked. This is simply not the case anymore. Yes of course it's not surprising that we spent more than Chelsea, Arsenal, and city on new player wages because we brought in more than others! How is that so difficult to understand. And the reason we bought more than others is because we needed to, towage a strong and balanced squad. The squad undefined Kenny was pathetic. BR, after Suarez decides to leave, had to rebuild the squad. And bear in mind that he only had this much to spend because of Suarez money. And if you look at it is believe the net spend was like 33 million only. I believe our squad is much stronger now with the likes of lallana,  can, Moreno, Ibe, sterling, Coutinho, all forming quite a formidable young team With tremendous potentia.  And a young team needs time to mature, it doesn't happen in a year or two. I have always said that lovren and balotelli were mistakes but even I was excited about the balotelli signing. It is the right decision by the owners  for BR to continue on as a manager because what the team needs the most now is continuity. If some of you weren't so BR hate-filled, what he said in that article was honest and logically makes sense.
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kopite-Jud » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:04 pm

He needs to stop waffling sh!te

It bores me to tears
Kopite-Jud

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion