Job too big for Rodgers?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Is the job too big for Rodgers and last season was a flash in the pan down to Suarez carrying us?

Yes
55%
No
36%
Not sure
9%

Total votes : 78

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:37 pm

RED BEERGOGGLES » Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:37 pm wrote:
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:57 pm wrote:If not Rodgers then who? Can one of the Rodgers critics tell us the name of this miracle worker who will win us the title/champions league despite being at a significant disadvantage to a lot of other clubs?

I heard similar protestations when Benitez was introduced to the club with notably a harder job to do ,and with I might add United and Chelsea at the peak of their
powers Only he had to go out and procure the talent that turned us into a force ,Rodgers will never entice the the thinking man's footballer like Alonso ,players of
his ilk came to this club because they wished to play under a manager renowned for their tactical prowess ,the same with Garcia, Reina and Torres .

So with all due respect mate ,that argument is trotted out far too regularly ,the fact remains Rodgers has failed to deliver with a team that on paper would have any
manager with a modicum of tactical acumen drooling at the mouth.

Nah, sorry mate I don't buy that, Rafa didn't have a second petro-dollar club in Manchester City to contend with, the competition for the CL places is much tougher now.
Besides domestically Rafa's best finish in 6 years was second, the same as Brendan.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:49 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:37 pm wrote:Nah, sorry mate I don't buy that, Rafa didn't have a second petro-dollar club in Manchester City to contend with, the competition for the CL places is much tougher now.
Besides domestically Rafa's best finish in 6 years was second, the same as Brendan.

We were in the Champions League though mate ,regardless of these monetary leviathans ,I think that's my point ,which kind of refutes your original argument
I just don't get how Rodgers can be completely absolved of  blame for our pathetic performances (both equally devoid of tactics) in two different European
competitions and how these actions can be justified less vindicated by some fans  ???

I mean surely a learned fan like yourself can see the massive disparity between Rodgers being out thought and outmanoeuvred in Europe in comparison to Rafa's
intelligent and astute use of differing tactics to guide us to not one ,but two Champions League Finals ....I can only imagine what Benitez would have achieved
with owners as seemingly accommodating and benevolent as Rodgers has,I mean would Rafa see the money we procured from the Suarez sale with that heinous
pair of charlatans..... the answer to that is a resounding NO !

Like I said earlier mate ,Rodgers has a team that has other clubs in Europe casting enviable glances at Anfield ,which sort of highlights our failure in high profile
European competitions as a major flaw in Rodgers supposed innovative approach to the game in general.
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maguskwt » Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:32 am

RED BEERGOGGLES » Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:49 pm wrote:
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:37 pm wrote:Nah, sorry mate I don't buy that, Rafa didn't have a second petro-dollar club in Manchester City to contend with, the competition for the CL places is much tougher now.

We were in the Champions League though mate ,regardless of these monetary leviathans ,I think that's my point ,which kind of refutes your original argument
I just don't get how Rodgers can be completely absolved of  blame for our pathetic performances (both equally devoid of tactics) in two different European
competitions and how these actions can be justified less vindicated by some fans  ???

I mean surely a learned fan like yourself can see the massive disparity between Rodgers being out thought and outmanoeuvred in Europe in comparison to Rafa's
intelligent and astute use of differing tactics to guide us to not one ,but two Champions League Finals ....I can only imagine what Benitez would have achieved
with owners as seemingly accommodating and benevolent as Rodgers has,I mean would Rafa see the money we procured from the Suarez sale with that heinous
pair of charlatans..... the answer to that is a resounding NO !

Like I said earlier mate ,Rodgers has a team that has other clubs in Europe casting enviable glances at Anfield ,which sort of highlights our failure in high profile
European competitions as a major flaw in Rodgers supposed innovative approach to the game in general.

Ok... bring Rafa back then... and when he consistently tinkers too much in the league, I don't expect you whining on here. The thing with Rafa though, and I'm a fan of him, is this... Rodgers in Europe (right now) is akin to Rafa in the league. With that squad he assembled, and Gerrard at his peak, he should have been consistently challenging for the title. With the likes of Gerrard at his superman-peak, Alonso, Mascherano, Torres, Reina and Carra still at his peak. I can't believe that when I think about those players right now, it makes the team we had last season so inexperienced and unbalanced. And you call that team drool-worthy... Rafa's team was more than drool-worthy then! We should've won the league nevermind challenge consistently.

You see either way you can choose a stick to hit with for either manager. So other than Rafa, who?
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RedAnt » Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:41 am

When ya look at the two squads, Rafa's back then and Brendan's today, it really does tell a story. Mascha, Alonso, Reina, Gerrard, Torres vs Lucas, Hendo, Migs, Studge, Balo... There's a huge gulf in quality. Perhaps Rafa should have won more than he did. But I honestly don't believe BR could attract players of the calibre that Benitez did. It's also worth asking wether players such as Suarez would have been so keen to leave a team such as the one Rafa assembled, or indeed one managed by Rafa. All hypothetical and backed by hindsight, I know, but surely it highlights some of the issues we have at the club today. Benitez is a different class to BR. We have a bargain-bucket manager and it shows.
"The S*n: The paper you wipe your ars.e on and more sh*t comes off the paper"
RedAnt

Postby red till i die!! » Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:07 pm

RedAnt » Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:41 am wrote:When ya look at the two squads, Rafa's back then and Brendan's today, it really does tell a story. Mascha, Alonso, Reina, Gerrard, Torres vs Lucas, Hendo, Migs, Studge, Balo... There's a huge gulf in quality. Perhaps Rafa should have won more than he did. But I honestly don't believe BR could attract players of the calibre that Benitez did. It's also worth asking wether players such as Suarez would have been so keen to leave a team such as the one Rafa assembled, or indeed one managed by Rafa. All hypothetical and backed by hindsight, I know, but surely it highlights some of the issues we have at the club today. Benitez is a different class to BR. We have a bargain-bucket manager and it shows.

There was a massive difference with the quality between the 2 sides and it was because one was able to attract players and the other can't. Thats the bottom line for me because both had a lot of money to spend. Rodgers should have done better given he had got a fortune in 3 years. Also rafa didn't have that clown ayre as top dog back then either so that could be why deals got done and targets landed.

I know benny used to get some stick but if you actually googled Ian ayres time at huddersfield and read some of the stuff on their fans forums you can see the similarities with what we do now.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby Thommo's perm » Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:45 pm

I dont think theres any point in comparing past managers with the current one. They operated in a different era with different players.
I believe he has the potential to be a great manager, but at the moment he is only a good manager. If he gets the praise for the games up to the man u one then he must get the criticism for that match.
He was wrong to play Allen and Henderson in midfield and should have played Gerrard. This is why, when Gerrard came on, he was like a bull in a china shop, because he was angry and frustrated at the way our midfield was being bullied and bypassed. I am not excusing his actions, but I can understand why he did it.
Rodgers must accept responsibility for getting it wrong.
:nod
Thommo's perm

Postby red till i die!! » Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:43 pm

Thommo's perm » Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:45 pm wrote:I dont think theres any point in comparing past managers with the current one. They operated in a different era with different players.
I believe he has the potential to be a great manager, but at the moment he is only a good manager. If he gets the praise for the games up to the man u one then he must get the criticism for that match.
He was wrong to play Allen and Henderson in midfield and should have played Gerrard. This is why, when Gerrard came on, he was like a bull in a china shop, because he was angry and frustrated at the way our midfield was being bullied and bypassed. I am not excusing his actions, but I can understand why he did it.

I agree  :nod
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:20 pm

maguskwt » Sun Mar 29, 2015 3:32 am wrote:
Ok... bring Rafa back then... and when he consistently tinkers too much in the league, I don't expect you whining on here. The thing with Rafa though, and I'm a fan of him, is this... Rodgers in Europe (right now) is akin to Rafa in the league. With that squad he assembled, and Gerrard at his peak, he should have been consistently challenging for the title. With the likes of Gerrard at his superman-peak, Alonso, Mascherano, Torres, Reina and Carra still at his peak. I can't believe that when I think about those players right now, it makes the team we had last season so inexperienced and unbalanced. And you call that team drool-worthy... Rafa's team was more than drool-worthy then! We should've won the league nevermind challenge consistently.

You see either way you can choose a stick to hit with for either manager. So other than Rafa, who?

No ,I called the team we have this season 'at least on paper' drool making ,please in future if you find yourself duty bound to proffer a retort could you at least read
the post correctly  ???  So for the sake of continuing the longevity of this particular argument ,do you think Rodgers would have prospered to the level Rafa attained
for himself if he was forced to work under Hicks and Gillette ?

The patience our owners have afforded Rodgers is commendable that is without question ,but there will come a time when the penny drops ,and at such time they
will no doubt have new candidates in mind to take us forward . Who knows possibly one not so complacent with important competitions  ???

Final point ,I don't whine ,I give this forum an opposing opinion ,the fact it doesn't comply to your ordered belief in the manager is something you and all the apologists
will have to get used to ,as I have no intention of altering my stance . I support Liverpool Football Club but not the current manager ,fans  can do that if they're  honest
enough.
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Thommo's perm » Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:32 pm

And Im sure the owners at the time had candidates in mind to replace Shankly and Paisley?
Such is the nature of management....
:eyebrow
Thommo's perm

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:37 pm

Thommo's perm » Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:45 pm wrote:I dont think theres any point in comparing past managers with the current one. They operated in a different era with different players.

Start with Gerrard in midfield? Your joking aren't you mate? I could understand if you said Lucas should have played but Gerrard these days is a liability at CM.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby eds » Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:23 pm

devaney » Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:17 pm wrote:Eds - yawn yawn fkg yawn !!!

Personally I think you were a bit desperate for us to lose against United mate so that you could get the fkg drum out again. Our record in the previous 11 Premiership games prior to United must have been causing you sleepless nights !!  :laugh: 29 POINTS OUT OF 33

Wow f**k me incredible 29 out off 33 points Dev!

Lets pop out the champagne and give him a knighthood then! 

That's like saying for 2 seconds in a 100m sprint another runner ran faster than Usain Bolt, but still managed to come fifth!

Yeah he was still competitive tho.    :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

Extremely alarming and deluded view point.

Sorry mate I have been praising and criticising Rodgers since the start of the season, unlike the extremists on here that can't seem to say a single thing wrong about him despite all the money he was given, being bundled out of the CL without a whiper and struggling to finish in the top 4 this season.  :suspect:
"LIVERPOOL: 6 European Cups, 19 Domestic Titles, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 9 League Cups and 4 European Super Cups and 1 Club World Championship

All other English clubs pale into insignificance!"
eds

Postby woof woof ! » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:24 am

Another masterclass in the art of man management from BR ?

From Daily Mail online
Raheem  Sterling's Liverpool contract talks take dramatic twist as it emerges forward is prepared to turn down £180,000-a-week deal

Raheem Sterling's contract talks at Liverpool have taken a dramatic twist after it emerged he is prepared to turn down one of the biggest deals in the club’s history.

Negotiations with Sterling have reached yet another impasse and it is understood that even if Liverpool offer £180,000 a week he will not sign.

Sterling, who has turned down a number of offers from Liverpool, believes his best position is in the three forward positions and is becoming increasingly concerned about his position at wing-back. 

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby RedAnt » Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:06 am

woof woof ! » Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:24 am wrote:Another masterclass in the art of man management from BR ?

From Daily Mail online
Raheem  Sterling's Liverpool contract talks take dramatic twist as it emerges forward is prepared to turn down £180,000-a-week deal

Raheem Sterling's contract talks at Liverpool have taken a dramatic twist after it emerged he is prepared to turn down one of the biggest deals in the club’s history.

Negotiations with Sterling have reached yet another impasse and it is understood that even if Liverpool offer £180,000 a week he will not sign.

Sterling, who has turned down a number of offers from Liverpool, believes his best position is in the three forward positions and is becoming increasingly concerned about his position at wing-back. 

One of the few things I support Brendan on. Raheem should get on with his job and stop being a knob.

At least it's a good chance for BR to score some points by selling him. Not sure if trust him with the money though.

Edit: actually I retract this comment. I'm not sure how much Brendan has to do with contract negotiations. I do think Sterling should get on with it though. Like Jac says, he has no right to be dictating the managers job.
Last edited by RedAnt on Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The S*n: The paper you wipe your ars.e on and more sh*t comes off the paper"
RedAnt

Postby Ben Patrick » Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:09 am

I've defended Rodgers on here a number of times but the playing Sterling constantly all over the pitch isnt something I am happy with.

The lad is still learning the game and is sometimes being made to play 3 positions per game.
He was criticised after the united game Sterling but he started right wing back, then was shunted over to left wing back and then pushed further forward.
He should be one of the front 3 every match for me and Rodgers is definitely not helping him one bit.
Sabre looks like a big lezzer
Ben Patrick

Postby jacdaniel » Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:32 am

If the things I read about Raheem are true then he needs to be sold.
A 20 year old who has achieved nothing yet cannot be demanding huge wages and dictating what position he plays in.

He is also hugely overrated in my opinion.  A good player, not a great one.
"When you walk, through a storm, hold your head up high"
jacdaniel
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion