Job too big for Rodgers?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Is the job too big for Rodgers and last season was a flash in the pan down to Suarez carrying us?

Yes
55%
No
36%
Not sure
9%

Total votes : 78

Postby devaney » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:09 pm

Thanks Eds !! You've single handedly cured my fkg insomnia.....................
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby eds » Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:28 pm

Oh sorry mate I forgot to turn on the "auto-record" for you.

"Rodgers is the right manager to move us forward!"

"The club is in good hands under FSG with Henry and Werner at the helm!"

"We have trimmed the wage bill and now operating in much more structured way!"

"Our recent new sponsors and deals will give us the required financial strength to compete on the world stage!"

"Ian Ayre is a fantastic CEO, one of the best in the world!"

"Our exciting new young players will take this club places!"

"In the near future we will become a force again!"

"Zeig-heil" i mean "We are all moving forward here at Liverpool FC"

That make you feel better Dev?  :laugh:
"LIVERPOOL: 6 European Cups, 19 Domestic Titles, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 9 League Cups and 4 European Super Cups and 1 Club World Championship

All other English clubs pale into insignificance!"
eds

Postby devaney » Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:17 pm

Eds - yawn yawn fkg yawn !!!

Personally I think you were a bit desperate for us to lose against United mate so that you could get the fkg drum out again. Our record in the previous 11 Premiership games prior to United must have been causing you sleepless nights !!  :laugh: 29 POINTS OUT OF 33
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby RedAnt » Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:38 pm

It's also worth noting that over the course of the season we've won 54 points out of a possible 90. A good run of form might cheer the heart, but it's somewhat short sighted to use it in the 'pro' column. I don't understand people harping on about recent form when our overall form is why we're struggling. I said before, BR isn't there to have an occasional winning run. He's there to make us win things. People are talking like Brendan is the only manager to lead us in good form.
Last edited by RedAnt on Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The S*n: The paper you wipe your ars.e on and more sh*t comes off the paper"
RedAnt

Postby woof woof ! » Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:30 pm

devaney » Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:17 pm wrote:Eds - yawn yawn fkg yawn !!!

Personally I think you were a bit desperate for us to lose against United mate so that you could get the fkg drum out again. Our record in the previous 11 Premiership games prior to United must have been causing you sleepless nights !!  :laugh: 29 POINTS OUT OF 33

29 pts out of 33  :wwww   Fk me lets get the band started !!!

We'll just ignore those at the back with no drum to bang who are thinking 54 points from a possible 90 is surely just slightly above average ?      ???

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby devaney » Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:55 pm

Sorry lads I do apologise for being remotely positive. I fully appreciate that it is a trait almost worthy of a ban on this forum  :laugh: I just wish to fk I didn't have to read the same repetitive shite as soon as we get a result going against us  :( I think the copy and paste buttons on some of our members computers are virtually fkg worn out !!!!!!!!!!!
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby RedAnt » Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:37 pm

devaney » Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:55 pm wrote:Sorry lads I do apologise for being remotely positive. I fully appreciate that it is a trait almost worthy of a ban on this forum  :laugh: I just wish to fk I didn't have to read the same repetitive shite as soon as we get a result going against us  :( I think the copy and paste buttons on some of our members computers are virtually fkg worn out !!!!!!!!!!!

There are positives, Dev. Some of us just aren't so sure that BR is one of them. There's lots of negatives too. And let's face it, the negatives generally have more durability in a discussion sense. But it does get boring if no one sticks up for him, so carry on :D

Brendan has qualities too. Of course he does. In some ways he's great at his job, but he has apparent weaknesses in key areas. It's worth debating wether he has the capacity to learn and the potential to take us forwards. So far it's been a very mixed bag with a lot of mistakes repeated and failure in several areas. Not all of it is down to Rodgers, granted, but much of it is. And what some see as acceptable, others see as lack of progress.
RedAnt

Postby andy c legs » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:25 pm

Again I feel, to a certain extent, as though I have to repeat myself.

Brendan was handicapped before the season started because all the top strikers he went in for in the summer (or supossedly did), he could not get in and in the end he had to settle for Balo. IF he/we had got a Cavani for example then we could have kicked on from last season (or at least have been given the chance to). However it never happened. That to me was the fundamental issue. We never replaced Luis, no matter how many other players we brought in.

Then when the season was only a handful of games old - after a cracking performance v Spurs lest we forget when Sturridge, Sterling and BALOTELLI played really well together and looked threatening, the bottom fell out of our season as Sturridge got crocked. What would have happened had this not occured?? What if the 3 of them could have played in tandem together?? We may have smashed sides or at least got more points than we did. Was it Brendan's fault that Sturridge got injured and all the plans he would have had would have went out the window? No. It wasn't. 

We were then left with the players who had been brought in and eventually, after Brendan made a few mistakes along the way (as all managers do), like persisting for too long in playing Balo up front on his own, he finally got it right - what was it prior to Sunday - 12 odd games undefeated and 9 or so won? Cheers, I'll take that every day as a reds fan. 

Ok this season has not panned out as we wanted. BR can take some blame but look at the positives - he's integrated Can. Moreno, Lallana and also played Sterling up front and brought in Ibe.

What we need to do now is finish the season as high as we can and then, in the summer, give Brendan the money he needs to buy that 20-25 goal striker and see how we fair then next season (as we will by then have Origi in but again who knows how he will cope with the Prem?).

Brendan surely knows how he wants us to play and the players he wants in each position.  Let's hope he finally gets the chance to field his perfect 11.

He has shown last season that he likes atacking football - were we complaining last year?? - no way hosay.. Now this season he has actually tightened us up at the back - when all we did last season was dribble goals needlessly.

So he's made us flowing in attack and solid in defence in the space of two seasons. I'd just love it now if he had the chance to combine the two - then we'd be onto a winner???.

Again, I don't dislike BR or think he's the best thing to flow up the Mersey - I just LOVE Liverpool, that won't ever change whoever the manager is. :;):
[b]I am and always will be in love with them...
andy c legs
LFC Basic Member

Postby andy c legs » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:25 pm

Again I feel, to a certain extent, as though I have to repeat myself.

Brendan was handicapped before the season started because all the top strikers he went in for in the summer (or supossedly did), he could not get in and in the end he had to settle for Balo. IF he/we had got a Cavani for example then we could have kicked on from last season (or at least have been given the chance to). However it never happened. That to me was the fundamental issue. We never replaced Luis, no matter how many other players we brought in.

Then when the season was only a handful of games old - after a cracking performance v Spurs lest we forget when Sturridge, Sterling and BALOTELLI played really well together and looked threatening, the bottom fell out of our season as Sturridge got crocked. What would have happened had this not occured?? What if the 3 of them could have played in tandem together?? We may have smashed sides or at least got more points than we did. Was it Brendan's fault that Sturridge got injured and all the plans he would have had would have went out the window? No. It wasn't. 

We were then left with the players who had been brought in and eventually, after Brendan made a few mistakes along the way (as all managers do), like persisting for too long in playing Balo up front on his own, he finally got it right - what was it prior to Sunday - 12 odd games undefeated and 9 or so won? Cheers, I'll take that every day as a reds fan. 

Ok this season has not panned out as we wanted. BR can take some blame but look at the positives - he's integrated Can. Moreno, Lallana and also played Sterling up front and brought in Ibe.

What we need to do now is finish the season as high as we can and then, in the summer, give Brendan the money he needs to buy that 20-25 goal striker and see how we fair then next season (as we will by then have Origi in but again who knows how he will cope with the Prem?).

Brendan surely knows how he wants us to play and the players he wants in each position.  Let's hope he finally gets the chance to field his perfect 11.

He has shown last season that he likes atacking football - were we complaining last year?? - no way hosay.. Now this season he has actually tightened us up at the back - when all we did last season was dribble goals needlessly.

So he's made us flowing in attack and solid in defence in the space of two seasons. I'd just love it now if he had the chance to combine the two - then we'd be onto a winner???.

Again, I don't dislike BR or think he's the best thing to flow up the Mersey - I just LOVE Liverpool, that won't ever change whoever the manager is. :;):
[b]I am and always will be in love with them...
andy c legs
LFC Basic Member

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:44 am

Rafa won the Champions League in his first season by practically out thinking some of the finest managers in the game ,he also realised' quickly' the importance of the competition with our fans ,and how our history in that competition created by his more illustrious predecessors was something not to treat with disdain.

Our performance in the Champions League was beyond reproach and the for me the proverbial nail in the coffin for Rodgers ,I mean it took his job being threatened
before he implemented the changes he now lauds 'repetitively' ,not the competition we broke records and strived all season to join... He broke the hearts of the fans
who view our European legacy as something worth shedding blood over.

As for the football ,Roy Evans had us playing similarly exciting football ,but we all knew he could never be a winner !

I leave the floor to his adoring legions ,although frankly why they number more than fucking two is something I will continue to struggle with  ???
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maguskwt » Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:32 am

andy c legs » Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:25 pm wrote:Again I feel, to a certain extent, as though I have to repeat myself.

Good post...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RedAnt » Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:03 am

maguskwt » Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:32 am wrote:
andy c legs » Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:25 pm wrote:Again I feel, to a certain extent, as though I have to repeat myself.

Good post...

A good post that highlights more issues with BR? Poor planning? Short sightedness? The fact that big players go to clubs with managers they want to work with? Wasn't Balo signed under Brendan's tenure? He can blame 'the committee' but surely this highlights more issues? No other 'top' managers are blaming committees. They take full responsibilities for their signings. Can you imagine LVG saying "I didn't want Di Maria. He was pushed on me by the board." And then using him incorrectly before switching the blame to Di Maria? There's the whole Sturridge thing too, relying solely on a crocked player for goals whilst we're in four competitions.

Say the deck is stacked against BR if you like, but as far as I'm aware, he dealt the cards himself.

The reason you need big managers at big clubs is to attract big players. Dress it up anyway you like but big name players clearly aren't desperate to work with the unknown Rodgers who's CV lists clubs that many foreign players won't have even heard of. It's sad, but true. Balo was a last resort, right? A gamble? Why? Our manager couldn't persuade any of his targets and so falls back on a gamble which fails and people want to pat him on the back. I don't get it. It's not good management. It's gambling, much like he does with formations and things.
RedAnt

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:57 pm

If not Rodgers then who? Can one of the Rodgers critics tell us the name of this miracle worker who will win us the title/champions league despite being at a significant disadvantage to a lot of other clubs?
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby RedAnt » Sat Mar 28, 2015 3:11 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:57 pm wrote:If not Rodgers then who? Can one of the Rodgers critics tell us the name of this miracle worker who will win us the title/champions league despite being at a significant disadvantage to a lot of other clubs?

Personally I'll not talk of replacements. That crosses a line from being critical. But those that speak in the managers defence consistently narrow the view and focus on the last 12 games, league games, and conveniently miss the wider picture and on how many fronts Brendan has led us to failure. It's all well and good saying we've not lost many, considering we're only in two contests now and don't have much left to lose, isn't it? Of course we're not losing as many. We're out of three knock out tournaments because we already lost. As long as people keep narrowing the view, others will continue to expand it again.
RedAnt

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Sat Mar 28, 2015 3:37 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:57 pm wrote:If not Rodgers then who? Can one of the Rodgers critics tell us the name of this miracle worker who will win us the title/champions league despite being at a significant disadvantage to a lot of other clubs?

I heard similar protestations when Benitez was introduced to the club with notably a harder job to do ,and with I might add United and Chelsea at the peak of their
powers Only he had to go out and procure the talent that turned us into a force ,Rodgers will never entice the the thinking man's footballer like Alonso ,players of
his ilk came to this club because they wished to play under a manager renowned for their tactical prowess ,the same with Garcia, Reina and Torres .

So with all due respect mate ,that argument is trotted out far too regularly ,the fact remains Rodgers has failed to deliver with a team that on paper would have any
manager with a modicum of tactical acumen drooling at the mouth.
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion