Job too big for Rodgers?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Is the job too big for Rodgers and last season was a flash in the pan down to Suarez carrying us?

Yes
55%
No
36%
Not sure
9%

Total votes : 78

Postby ethanr » Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:40 pm

Boocity » Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:45 am wrote:
andy_g » Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:21 pm wrote:did he get it spot on today, or did he get it spot on today?
how many of the haters are now big enough to hold their hands up and say that, european competition apart, the manager has been doing a superb job?

Fair play he got it spot on today but I do notice you're very quiet when he gets it wrong like last Thursday

He hardly got it wrong. He's focused on us qualifying for the CL by finishing in the top 4, which is incredibly more likely to do then win the Europa League. If he would've gone all out against Beskitas like so many of you are bitching about, there's no way we would've won this game today.

He's clearly made the decision that it's more likely we get into the CL by getting 4th, and HE IS CORRECT. Continuing to travel to places like Turkey and Portugal, Russia or the Ukraine is not good for the squad. It's nice to win a trophy, but relying on that to get into the CL is f*cking moronic. The thing is, if we would've made it to the final and lost, the likelihood we would've finished in the top 4 would be extremely low, and all of you bitching about him "getting it wrong" and not caring about this competition would be bitching that he didn't get us to qualify for the CL.

It's like politics- some people just won't change their mind no matter what happens.
DESPITE THE FACT I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA...
ethanr

Postby RedAnt » Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:20 pm

I didn't see the match, but a great result. I assume the performance was good too since we beat City. Our league performances have been good recently, so the team and manager deserve credit for that.
"The S*n: The paper you wipe your ars.e on and more sh*t comes off the paper"
RedAnt

Postby Boocity » Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:34 pm

ethanr » Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:40 pm wrote:
Boocity » Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:45 am wrote:
andy_g » Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:21 pm wrote:did he get it spot on today, or did he get it spot on today?
how many of the haters are now big enough to hold their hands up and say that, european competition apart, the manager has been doing a superb job?

Fair play he got it spot on today but I do notice you're very quiet when he gets it wrong like last Thursday

He hardly got it wrong. He's focused on us qualifying for the CL by finishing in the top 4, which is incredibly more likely to do then win the Europa League. If he would've gone all out against Beskitas like so many of you are bitching about, there's no way we would've won this game today.

He's clearly made the decision that it's more likely we get into the CL by getting 4th, and HE IS CORRECT. Continuing to travel to places like Turkey and Portugal, Russia or the Ukraine is not good for the squad. It's nice to win a trophy, but relying on that to get into the CL is f*cking moronic. The thing is, if we would've made it to the final and lost, the likelihood we would've finished in the top 4 would be extremely low, and all of you bitching about him "getting it wrong" and not caring about this competition would be bitching that he didn't get us to qualify for the CL.

It's like politics- some people just won't change their mind no matter what happens.

I have no issue with prioritising games but we really have enough to beat the likes of Besiktas even with Couts missing, however he got the tactics wrong in that match and from what we have seen in Europe this season his tactics have been awful. I really want him to get us back in the CL for next season but if we treat it the same way we did this year we will just end up like Arsenal, a team playing just for the top 4 every year.
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ancient Sunlight » Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:40 pm

BR has shown he's a brilliant manager. I personally don't think any other manager could have turned us around as quickly or as well as BR has done.
Ancient Sunlight
LFC Basic Member

Postby Thommo's perm » Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:21 pm

"Every manager puts the praise on their players and rightly so, but the job Brendan Rodgers has done is outstanding because there were five new players in that team who came in the summer," Carragher told Sky Sports. "There were questions asked early on. People may say they took time to settle in and now they are showing their real form.
There's a transfer committee at Liverpool that Brendan Rodgers is part of. There is no way Emre Can was bought as a right-sided centre-back or Dejan Lovren to play as a left-sided centre-back. Moreno was a wing-back. They weren't.
So these players have come to the club and Rodgers has been part of that, but he's found a system that suits these players that originally wasn't the blueprint of how the team was going to go forward. He's found a way of getting the best out of players now that wasn't originally the way they wanted to work. Credit to the manager. He deserves all the praise now because it's not just Liverpool are playing well and winning, they have devised a way of playing that the champions couldn’t handle."

Well said Carra lad!!
:buttrock
Thommo's perm

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:31 pm

Thommo's perm » Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:54 am wrote:

As a Liverpool supporter I have been spoilt by all the trophies weve won and its no wonder that fans expectations are sky high. Add on to this the freak season we had last year in the league and its understandable that many feel we should have been in contention for every competition we were in. Sadly, the reality is different and we need to lower our expectations, for the moment.
:)

You know as well as I do that's not the case ,no fan only the 'foolhardy' had expectations of winning or even reaching the quarters of the Champions League,but
progressing in the Uefa was a viable avenue towards  qualifying for the competition. I guess I got so angry that a Liverpool supporter who remembers when we
were an immovable force in Europe could dismiss this trophy with the contempt expressed in his appraisal. I fully understand the younger more naive posters mind
set because they never witnessed the elation upon bringing home this beautiful old trophy.... I was however shocked at your stance fella.
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Thommo's perm » Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:45 pm

RED BEERGOGGLES » Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:31 pm wrote:
Thommo's perm » Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:54 am wrote:

As a Liverpool supporter I have been spoilt by all the trophies weve won and its no wonder that fans expectations are sky high. Add on to this the freak season we had last year in the league and its understandable that many feel we should have been in contention for every competition we were in. Sadly, the reality is different and we need to lower our expectations, for the moment.
:)

You know as well as I do that's not the case ,no fan only the 'foolhardy' had expectations of winning or even reaching the quarters of the Champions League,but
progressing in the Uefa was a viable avenue towards  qualifying for the competition. I guess I got so angry that a Liverpool supporter who remembers when we
were an immovable force in Europe could dismiss this trophy with the contempt expressed in his appraisal. I fully understand the younger more naive posters mind
set because they never witnessed the elation upon bringing home this beautiful old trophy.... I was however shocked at your stance fella.

Im sorry you feel this way but I stand by my statement. Times have changed and so has football, not for the better by the way.
I have contempt for the greedy cu'nts who, in my opinion, have spoilt this once great competition. Even the Champions League has been spoilt to some extent, but I do feel that that is worth winning.
On the bright side, we absolutely battered City today and hopefully will do the same to Burnley then Blackburn.
COYMRM!!!
Thommo's perm

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:38 pm

ethanr » Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:40 pm wrote:

Its fuck all like politics ,but thanks for proffering your Indispensable critique.I for one always look forward to garnering the opinions of our colonial cousins
as to precisely where us fans who traipse up and down the country following our team need to place our trust ....' Honestly' ,almost as much as I look forward to the
next Dunkin Donuts ad campaign  :D
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:59 pm

I was spitting feathers when FSG sacked Kenny (especially as he won us our first trophy is 6 years) but you've got to hand it to them, appointing Brendan Rodgers is looking more and more like an inspired decision.
Since around Christmas we've played Arsenal, Chelsea and City at Anfield and although the first two managed to come away with a draw we played the three of them off the park.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby eds » Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:19 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:59 pm wrote:I was spitting feathers when FSG sacked Kenny (especially as he won us our first trophy is 6 years) but you've got to hand it to them, appointing Brendan Rodgers is looking more and more like an inspired decision.
Since around Christmas we've played Arsenal, Chelsea and City at Anfield and although the first two managed to come away with a draw we played the three of them off the park.

The thing I am more impressed with is the fact that he has done this literally with half a new side to the one that almost won the title last season.

Still can't ignore the fact we went out of Europe without a whimper, but our league results since December has been the best in the league.  :nod
"LIVERPOOL: 6 European Cups, 19 Domestic Titles, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 9 League Cups and 4 European Super Cups and 1 Club World Championship

All other English clubs pale into insignificance!"
eds

Postby devaney » Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:22 am

That's good to read Eds considering the way you have castigated our owners,Rogers and the transfer committee in the past  :laugh:
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby Kopite-Jud » Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:10 pm

Credit where credit is due the man has made us brilliant again.

I hold my hands up and say that the 1st 4 months of the season we were dire.  The thing that frustrated me with him was the inability to change sooner.  Lets not forget we were playing the same formation / tactics every week I.E Palace , West Ham, Villa, Hull at home...

But the man has since worked wonders.  Players like Coutinho, Sterling, Ibe, getting Sturridge back, Mignolet's form, Keeping 5 away clean sheets on the spin (in the league),  Wembley very very possible and im convinced we will get the top 4.

I hold my hands up and say NO the job isn't too big for Rodgers.  We need to remember that we have a young manager who is himself still learning.  I honestly think that we have a potentially world class manager (should he continue to improve at the rate he is).

Look what he's done to Sterling Henderson Sturridge Ibe for example.

Carragher said on Sky Sports last week, Since Brendan Rodgers took over we have only lost 4 games from January - end of the season.

Is that not title winning form?

Maybe he did need time for the players to bed in.

Anyway i for one have well and truely eaten my own hat .     :unclesam:
Kopite-Jud

Postby RedAnt » Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:44 pm

I'm still far from convinced. We're doing ok in the league after an awful start which BR was in the drivers seat for. There are positives, yes, but there are still many issues. Credit should also go to the players and the coaching staff. If we keep improving in the league and start to expand our targets once more then I'm sure BR will get some of the doubters on board. But the way I see it is that BR is digging us out of a hole that he dug us into. We're still out of three cups this year and our early league performances mean that we had to start performing if we are to make our targets this year.
There's a long way to go this season. Hopefully we'll make fourth. A small achievement when one looks at our history. But it's something to cheer for I guess.
"The S*n: The paper you wipe your ars.e on and more sh*t comes off the paper"
RedAnt

Postby only me » Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:01 pm

What i don't understand with all the "reborn BR supporters" is what is the reason for the change? The fact we beat City and are still contending for the 4th place which gives us a shot at CL football which we are already PART OF THIS YEAR? Should we count our chickens again? Sanity check maybe to get some prespective? We are out of CL football ,Europa league football all in it's very early stages ,we are out of one domestic cup and we were out of the title race in it's very early stages nuff said? BR lost one player (yes a mega star) which he knew he would lose and in return got a shiits loads of money to buy whatever he wants how did this play for us? add to it the farce of the first half of the year which consisted of pathetic tactics ,player selection ,game management ,stubbornness and much more...

We are playing great football at the moment (which he still managed to get our a$$$ kicked in Istanbul) but we are miles away from our year target. The best we can hope for is getting BACK to CL and maybe a shiny cup.

Proportion lads.
only me
LFC Super Member

Postby andy_g » Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:20 pm

only me » Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:01 pm wrote:The best we can hope for is getting BACK to CL and maybe a shiny cup.

Proportion lads.

champions league football and the FA cup? well, i guess somehow we'd just have to find a way to live with that.

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion