Job too big for Rodgers?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Is the job too big for Rodgers and last season was a flash in the pan down to Suarez carrying us?

Yes
55%
No
36%
Not sure
9%

Total votes : 78

Postby Thommo's perm » Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:02 am

RedAnt.
I am not wearing "beer goggles", or "rose tinted spectacles" as I am not so stupid to see that all is not well and mistakes have been made. I am willing to give the current owners and manager one more season to sort things out on and off the pitch, then I will make my mind up as to whether they are capable. I could easily be a moaner and gripe about every single aspect of our failure not only by Rodgers, but also by previous managers right back to Paisley. I wont though, because Im an optimist and I have a gut feeling that we are on the right track. Its taking longer than I would like, but sometimes that happens? Shankly took years to get us back in the first division, and I think we are going through a similar situation now by trying to get back into the top tier of clubs.
Yes I am concerned that Suarez wasnt replaced, but only Ronaldo or Messi could have done the job he did? Yes I am not happy that we only have Borini and Lambert as cover for Sturridge, but the players we wanted wouldnt come here? Is that down to the manager, or the owners? Possibly, but thats the way it goes, and if LFC isnt as big an attraction as chelsea or arsenal then we have to accept it and move on. 
Call me a weirdo, but I believe its our destiny to be great again. With or without Rodgers, who knows? But I certainly dont advocate swapping and changing managers every couple of years because therein lies instability and mediocrity, or even relegation...?
:no
Thommo's perm

Postby RedAnt » Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:23 am

Thommo's perm » Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:02 am wrote:RedAnt.
I am not wearing "beer goggles", or "rose tinted spectacles" as I am not so stupid to see that all is not well and mistakes have been made. I am willing to give the current owners and manager one more season to sort things out on and off the pitch, then I will make my mind up as to whether they are capable. I could easily be a moaner and gripe about every single aspect of our failure not only by Rodgers, but also by previous managers right back to Paisley. I wont though, because Im an optimist and I have a gut feeling that we are on the right track. Its taking longer than I would like, but sometimes that happens? Shankly took years to get us back in the first division, and I think we are going through a similar situation now by trying to get back into the top tier of clubs.
Yes I am concerned that Suarez wasnt replaced, but only Ronaldo or Messi could have done the job he did? Yes I am not happy that we only have Borini and Lambert as cover for Sturridge, but the players we wanted wouldnt come here? Is that down to the manager, or the owners? Possibly, but thats the way it goes, and if LFC isnt as big an attraction as chelsea or arsenal then we have to accept it and move on. 
Call me a weirdo, but I believe its our destiny to be great again. With or without Rodgers, who knows? But I certainly dont advocate swapping and changing managers every couple of years because therein lies instability and mediocrity, or even relegation...?
:no

Fair enough.

I certainly don't advocate chopping and changing managers, but it didn't start here. It started with Woy. Kenny didn't get much of a go either. So why begin now with Rodgers who is a stranger to us? He's done little to earn loyalty other than sign a contract. I'd chop and change one more time, only this time I'd be more selective. BR will not attract players of a high calibre until he's proved himself. I'm not sure he'll do that, so we, Liverpool FC, are stuck with players that Rodgers can attract. Is that of Liverpools standard? Rafa brings Alonso and Torres, Kenny brings Suarez, Rodgers brings Borini...
"The S*n: The paper you wipe your ars.e on and more sh*t comes off the paper"
RedAnt

Postby damjan193 » Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:37 pm

RedAnt » Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:23 pm wrote: Rafa brings Alonso and Torres, Kenny brings Suarez, Rodgers brings Borini...

This is why I almost never participate in these pointless flamewars, because of arguments like this one.

Seriously lad? How about Rafa brings Philip Degen and Andrea Dossena, Kenny brings Charlie Adam and Andy Carroll and Brendan brings Coutinho and Sturridge. Flawless logic really.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby RedAnt » Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:19 pm

damjan193 » Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:37 am wrote:
RedAnt » Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:23 pm wrote: Rafa brings Alonso and Torres, Kenny brings Suarez, Rodgers brings Borini...

This is why I almost never participate in these pointless flamewars, because of arguments like this one.

Seriously lad? How about Rafa brings Philip Degen and Andrea Dossena, Kenny brings Charlie Adam and Andy Carroll and Brendan brings Coutinho and Sturridge. Flawless logic really.

All managers make duff signings. But some offset that by making successful ones too. Rafa, for all the Dossenas and Carrolls also delivered the CL.

And thanks for calling my post a flame war. I assume your participation is fuel on the fire, since you normally don't participate?
RedAnt

Postby Thommo's perm » Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:31 pm

We could go on all day about duff signings, and Im sure if you go back in time you will find that Shankly and Paisley had a few duds? My point remains the same, we have what weve got and bringing in yet another manager will not guarantee success?
Lets go with what weve got, see what happens in the summer and if we havent improved, then start looking for a new manager
:nod
Thommo's perm

Postby RedAnt » Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:38 pm

Thommo's perm » Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:31 pm wrote:We could go on all day about duff signings, and Im sure if you go back in time you will find that Shankly and Paisley had a few duds? My point remains the same, we have what weve got and bringing in yet another manager will not guarantee success?
Lets go with what weve got, see what happens in the summer and if we havent improved, then start looking for a new manager

I imagine that's how it will go. I didn't like BR at first but found myself encouraged after last season. I'm afraid that all evaporated very quickly this season though. I can't see any hope with him at the helm. I won't write an essay. It's all in this thread, covered a million times or more, but a club of our level needs a complete manager, and BR, in my opinion, lacks many aspects of that. I'd have been more hopeful if he looked to be learning. But he seems clueless to me. There is loyalty and then there's stupidity. Don't back a three legged horse, even if you love it.
RedAnt

Postby C-R » Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:54 pm

Both hands firmly held up here, i was wrong before Xmas calling for his head, he has turned it around, he has done a fantastic job in doing so

Watching us against City today was just like last season (but without Luis)

C-R
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby andy_g » Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:21 pm

did he get it spot on today, or did he get it spot on today?
how many of the haters are now big enough to hold their hands up and say that, european competition apart, the manager has been doing a superb job?

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby C-R » Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:25 pm

andy_g » Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:21 pm wrote:did he get it spot on today, or did he get it spot on today?
how many of the haters are now big enough to hold their hands up and say that, european competition apart, the manager has been doing a superb job?

I just did mate  :nod
C-R
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby andy_g » Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:29 pm

if i could high five you from here, i would

:D

andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Boocity » Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:45 pm

andy_g » Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:21 pm wrote:did he get it spot on today, or did he get it spot on today?

Fair play he got it spot on today but I do notice you're very quiet when he gets it wrong like last Thursday
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Octsky » Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:45 pm

RedAnt » Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:38 pm wrote:
Thommo's perm » Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:31 pm wrote:We could go on all day about duff signings, and Im sure if you go back in time you will find that Shankly and Paisley had a few duds? My point remains the same, we have what weve got and bringing in yet another manager will not guarantee success?

I imagine that's how it will go. I didn't like BR at first but found myself encouraged after last season. I'm afraid that all evaporated very quickly this season though. I can't see any hope with him at the helm. I won't write an essay. It's all in this thread, covered a million times or more, but a club of our level needs a complete manager, and BR, in my opinion, lacks many aspects of that. I'd have been more hopeful if he looked to be learning. But he seems clueless to me. There is loyalty and then there's stupidity. Don't back a three legged horse, even if you love it.

give him a chance la, at least he is winning games now.
rogers gave sterling and ibe their big chance, and they look like superstar in the making.
superstars we have not seen since owen / gerrard days.
Octsky
LFC Super Member

Postby andy_g » Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:47 pm

Boocity » Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:45 pm wrote:

Fair play he got it spot on today but I do notice you're very quiet when he gets it wrong like last Thursday

sorry, mate. i was busy.  :;):

andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maguskwt » Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:20 pm

The manager got it spot on. But the players showed courage... They stood up and be counted...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:37 pm

I expected us to tire as the game went on, instead we just seemed to get stronger

Credit where it's due, BR got just about everything right today, don't know what he said to them but despite their exertions on Thursday the team was really up for this game.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion