Job too big for Rodgers?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Is the job too big for Rodgers and last season was a flash in the pan down to Suarez carrying us?

Yes
55%
No
36%
Not sure
9%

Total votes : 78

Postby jacdaniel » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:43 pm

Red till I die

Agree with most of that.  I'm still very much on the fence with FSG. 
I can't quite figure them or their actions out yet.  So much contradicting information out there. 

Hopefully things will become a bit clearer over the next few months.
"When you walk, through a storm, hold your head up high"
jacdaniel
LFC Super Member

Postby Kash_Mountain » Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:56 pm

red till i die!! » Feb 26th, '15, 15:44 wrote:
jacdaniel » Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:05 am wrote:This "review" is quite disgraceful if it really is happening (which i doubt) and if a DOF is hired we should all be really worried about our owners ability to run the club.

When they first arrived they appointed a DOF along with Kenny.  Sacked them both along with plenty of others.
Then they wanted a young manager to work under a DOF. 
Then they hired Rodgers and apparently there would be no DOF.
Then we put a transfer committee in place, were nobody seems too sure who is actually buying players.  Is it Rodgers or the stats computer program? 
Now they want a DOF again? 

If this turns out to be true then it will certainly look to me as though they have no idea what they are doing.  Jumping from one approach to the next. 

In football, when owners are referred to as ruthless... it generally translates into no idea how football works.

The thing is jac that you wouldn't be surprised if it does happen. They don't seem to know a lot about football IMO and baseball is a very different game. Stats work in baseball but not football.

After Kenny they wanted a D.O.F and a new young manager, but the young manager didn't want that so they changed what it was they were after. Different story if it was someone with a proven track record in that area but it wasn't and they gave it all up to support the 180 page spiel brendan gave them. Thats all it took to change their course and they would do it again on a whim.

They are better Owners than Twit & Tw@t because they aren't borrowing from every bank on the go and using assets from the club as collateral but they have other things in common like not wanting to put their own money in and making the Club pay for their mistakes, IE: stadium plans they inherited and scrapped putting close to 50 mil back on the debt books. It might be interest free but its still debt. IMO things will look much clearer next year when the last 2 sets of accounts are published.

We have done well in attracting new lines of revenue through sponsorships and kit deals. We also have the extra Television money now, This should enable us to be competing better as this money wasn't around when T&T were here but yet their spend on the team is pretty similar in terms of net spend. Even though we have all this extra money we could still be in trouble with regards to FFP which is a joke considering they have been saying they were preparing us for this since 2010.And It was one of the things that attracted them to the club in the first place. To fall at the first hurdle would be some ***** up TBH.

My take on it is that all we did was some in house cleaning where we got rid of parasites and replaced them with leeches  :nod . Most will say jac that we almost went bust but that was never, never, ever going to happen. No way was R.B.S going to do that after they called in the debt and technically when they did we should have automatically went into administration and fell foul of the premier leagues rules,but we didn't because they took us as an asset and were never going to foreclose. Liverpool football club is renowned the world over and is a British institution and they were never going to pull the plug on that especially seeing as RBS was mostly owned by the British tax payer at the time.

Regarding FFP, there is perhaps a chance that LFC will find out tomorrow whether further sanctions will be put onto the club. Just hope there are isn't any. Additionally, the Accounts for last year are due at some point next week

ABSOLUTE STRENGTH       

ImageImage
Kash_Mountain

Postby Reg » Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:01 pm

Bad news for the doom and gloom mongers:

Liverpool expected to escape fine for breaching FFP

Uefa accept Liverpool's argument that costs of redeveloping Anfield and abandoned Stanley Park plan are mitigating circumstances, though Hull City are not so lucky

5:36PM GMT 26 Feb 2015

Liverpool are expected to avoid Uefa sanctions, despite being in breach of Financial Fair Play regulations, as they have managed to persuade European football's governing body there were mitigating circumstances for their failure to comply.

Hull City, though, are set to accept a fine of €200,000 (£145,000) for breaking the rules, after they reached the FA Cup Final last year and unexpectedly qualified for the Europa League.

Hull owner Assem Allam invested more than £30million of his own money since taking control of the club three years ago.

Liverpool announced losses of £49.8million for the 2012-13 season and £40.5million for the 12 months prior to that.

Brendan Rodgers' side returned to the Champions League after a six-year absence this season, but Uefa were concerned by the amount of money they lost before finishing second in the Premier League.

Uefa rules stipulate that clubs are not allowed to lose more than €45million (£33million) over a three-year period, but Liverpool were able to write off a big chunk of losses as allowable stadium expenditure.

Although Uefa launched an investigation and could have punished the club's owners, Fenway Sports, with a heavy fine and enforced a reduction in the size of their squad in European competitions next season – a punishment dished out to Manchester City – they have accepted Liverpool's explanation for the losses.

Significantly, with Liverpool are expected to confirm they have made a small operating profit for the last financial year and an even bigger one for the current financial year, Uefa are also satisfied the business is in a better shape moving forward.

Liverpool benefited from the fact the first set of results allow room for manoeuvre under the "transitional relief" clause, as well as the fact a large chunk of the losses were due to costs associated with the redevelopment of Anfield.

The 2011-12 accounts reported that £49.6million was associated with Liverpool's stadium costs, £35million coming from former co-owner Tom Hicks' plan to build a new stadium on Stanley Park, which new owners Fenway Sports Group had to scrap.

Manchester City and Paris Saint-Germain were the clubs hit hardest by Uefa last season for breaching FFP rules – they were each fined £49million and handed restrictions on transfer spending and a reduction in Champions League squad size.

Uefa remain concerned about the financial affairs of both clubs which have been propped up by investment from wealthy Arab owners. Auditors are due to visit City next week.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:37 pm

“Good luck to Besiktas and their supporters. Unfortunately, it hasn't been a good place for us this time in the Ataturk.”

No less St Jacob Park ,or the Vasilij Levski ,in fact possibly all the grounds we've visited in our 'unforgettable' European adventure.
Love the way he blames the strikers and lack of creativity ,when both could have been easily addressed with a minimal  of tactical
nous and in creativities case 'foresight'  ???

http://www.scottishdailyexpress.co.uk/sport/football/560748/Brendan-Rodgers-Liverpool-Europa-League
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RedAnt » Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:06 pm

RED BEERGOGGLES » Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:37 pm wrote:“Good luck to Besiktas and their supporters. Unfortunately, it hasn't been a good place for us this time in the Ataturk.”

No less St Jacob Park ,or the Vasilij Levski ,in fact possibly all the grounds we've visited in our 'unforgettable' European adventure.
Love the way he blames the strikers and lack of creativity ,when both could have been easily addressed with a minimal  of tactical

http://www.scottishdailyexpress.co.uk/sport/football/560748/Brendan-Rodgers-Liverpool-Europa-League

"The one mistake we got punished for..."

Weird because I remember many mistakes, but their goal wasn't a mistake. It was a cracker.
"The S*n: The paper you wipe your ars.e on and more sh*t comes off the paper"
RedAnt

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:19 pm

RedAnt » Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:06 pm wrote:
RED BEERGOGGLES » Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:37 pm wrote:“Good luck to Besiktas and their supporters. Unfortunately, it hasn't been a good place for us this time in the Ataturk.”

"The one mistake we got punished for..."

Weird because I remember many mistakes, but their goal wasn't a mistake. It was a cracker.

That's Rodger's speak for' I'm out of my depth'
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:48 pm

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/561077/Liverpool-Brendan-Rodgers-can-t-break-Daniel-Sturridge

It was min 105 when he dragged him off in Turkey wasn't it ? Just checking like  ???
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:09 pm

Brendan Rodgers admits Liverpool can now focus on Premier League following Europa League exit

Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers says that their Europa League exit means that they can fully focus on making the top four of the Premier League.

The Reds lasted just one round in the competition, losing on penalties to Besiktas in the round of 32 following their Champions League exit.

But Rodgers believes that elimination may end up being a blessing in disguise, as they can now focus on reaching the continent's elite competition for a second successive year.

And the determined boss says that there was no psychological damage done by the penalty shoot-out loss in Turkey - the first time the Reds have ever lost on penalty kicks in Europe.

Without having Thursday night obstacles to overcome, Rodgers says that he is delighted to be able to focus each match, one week at a time.
He said: "At the time you don't like to say that because we want to win, and this year has been an experience for us both in the Champions League and Europa League.

"A lot of young players have gained invaluable experience in Europe this year and will be better for it.

"We want to be in those competitions and the Champions League consistently for the next number of years but there is no doubt with that out of the way, and after next week's game against Burnley (on Wednesday), we will go to nearly one game a week, which probably for the first time this season will give us chance to prepare every aspect.

"The bigger picture for us is the Premier League and the FA Cup were our priorities, so that is still the case.

"Between now and the end of the season we will give everything to achieve our objectives."

http://www.belfastlive.co.uk/sport/football/brendan-rodgers-admits-liverpool-can-8740981?

Just some small details he might of shared with the reds supporters who travelled to Turkey
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Thommo's perm » Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:37 pm

We need the players we have now to play better, or we need better players? Its not rocket science?
We had no chance of progressing in the CL without Suarez, unless we brought Ronaldo or Messi in to replace him. The europa is a dog end of a competition and Im glad were out of it. Lets see how far we can go in the FA cup and end up in the league.
Next season is the biggest test in my opinion...
:nod
Thommo's perm

Postby RedAnt » Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:15 pm

I can't believe Rodgers would say such things. It's like he didn't want to progress in the EL when we, up until now, have always paid respect to whatever tournament we've been in.
Perhaps he's trying to lessen the impact of defeat in Turkey? If so then it could backfire. As I said in another thread it piles the pressure on for him should he fail to deliver the top 4 or the FA Cup. He's right, maybe it is a blessing in disguise.
RedAnt

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:05 pm

Thommo's perm » Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:37 pm wrote:We need the players we have now to play better, or we need better players? Its not rocket science?
We had no chance of progressing in the CL without Suarez, unless we brought Ronaldo or Messi in to replace him. The europa is a dog end of a competition and Im glad were out of it. Lets see how far we can go in the FA cup and end up in the league.
Next season is the biggest test in my opinion...
:nod

The trophy is the same despite the packaging ,its the same trophy that paved our way to European greatness ,and one more win would have
put us back in the record books as being the only team to win it four times ,is that not prestigious enough ffs.

The manner in which fans dismiss its importance in our history is demeaning to our European legacy ,and frankly a f*cking disgrace  :no   

RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:15 am

Completely agree RBG, today's fans seem to think you start off winning the CL then wonder what to do next. Shanks built hs team in the UEFA Cup against the likes of St Etienne and Borussia Mochengladbach, going to eastern european cow fields  - that's where confidence and determination was born. 99% of these games weren't even shown on tv, it was a radio next to your ear job  and a write up in the paper the next day.  We have lost our humility, today's fans do not understand how progress is achieved.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The_Rock » Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:18 am

RED BEERGOGGLES » Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:09 am wrote:[size=150]
[b]Without having Thursday night obstacles to overcome, Rodgers says that he is delighted to be able to focus each match, one week at a time.

He said: "[b]At the time you don't like to say that because we want to win, and this year has been an experience for us both in the Champions League and Europa League.

Ultimately...this is the biggest reason why I don't think Rodgers is the man for us long term. He is just not cut-out to manage a team challenging on multiple fronts. Its no coincidence that we have done better when knocked out early in the cups under Rodgers (thus.....the myth that we always perform better in the 2nd half of the season. We perform better because we are knocked out in almost all the cups by then).

Our FA cup draw has been somewhat lenient on us this season. If we had drawn arsenal or manure away....that's another cup gone.

Rodgers is just an average English coach. He is a young harry redknapp. He can coach young players. Seems to prefer to handle british players to foreign ones. LFC is just too big a club for him.

We need a top European manager. Our sponsorship dealings put us as 7th best in the world. Our global fan base cuts over hundreds of millions of fans. Is Rodgers the man to manage us ? I think you know the answer.
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Thommo's perm » Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:54 am

OK lets get something straight. I assume that its me who's being being referred to as a "Fu*king disgrace" and "fans these days"?
Just for clarity, I have been supporting LFC since the early 60's and I am no knobhead or glory hunter. I am a realist, and because of that I understand that unfortunately, at this moment in time we dont have the players to fight on all fronts. This is due to losing Suarez and various injuries we have sustained during the campaign. Woulda, shoulda, coulda all you like but these are the facts of the situation. Of course I would like us to win all competitions we are in but its impossible for us to do that. My gripe with the europa is that it is a long, boring, drawn out and 2nd rate cup that has been spoilt by the greedy tw@ts at uefa who just want more and more money from the fans. It is not the same format or have the same prestige that the UEFA cup had, so lets not kid ourselves that it does. Yes, I would like us to be the first to win it four times but I think its unrealistic at present, which is why I said next season is the big test for me.
As a Liverpool supporter I have been spoilt by all the trophies weve won and its no wonder that fans expectations are sky high. Add on to this the freak season we had last year in the league and its understandable that many feel we should have been in contention for every competition we were in. Sadly, the reality is different and we need to lower our expectations, for the moment. We need strengthening in all departments and until that happens we have to cut our suit according to our cloth.
So lets put away this name calling and delusion that we are the force we once were, because were not. We have the potential to be, with the owners, the manager, the new Anfield and young talent coming through, but not yet. Lets keep our feet on the ground and realise we dont have a divine right to be winning trophies just because we used to do it in the past?
:)
Thommo's perm

Postby RedAnt » Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:23 am

Thommo's perm » Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:54 am wrote:OK lets get something straight. I assume that its me who's being being referred to as a "Fu*king disgrace" and "fans these days"?
Just for clarity, I have been supporting LFC since the early 60's and I am no knobhead or glory hunter. I am a realist, and because of that I understand that unfortunately, at this moment in time we dont have the players to fight on all fronts. This is due to losing Suarez and various injuries we have sustained during the campaign. Woulda, shoulda, coulda all you like but these are the facts of the situation. Of course I would like us to win all competitions we are in but its impossible for us to do that. My gripe with the europa is that it is a long, boring, drawn out and 2nd rate cup that has been spoilt by the greedy tw@ts at uefa who just want more and more money from the fans. It is not the same format or have the same prestige that the UEFA cup had, so lets not kid ourselves that it does. Yes, I would like us to be the first to win it four times but I think its unrealistic at present, which is why I said next season is the big test for me.
As a Liverpool supporter I have been spoilt by all the trophies weve won and its no wonder that fans expectations are sky high. Add on to this the freak season we had last year in the league and its understandable that many feel we should have been in contention for every competition we were in. Sadly, the reality is different and we need to lower our expectations, for the moment. We need strengthening in all departments and until that happens we have to cut our suit according to our cloth.
So lets put away this name calling and delusion that we are the force we once were, because were not. We have the potential to be, with the owners, the manager, the new Anfield and young talent coming through, but not yet. Lets keep our feet on the ground and realise we dont have a divine right to be winning trophies just because we used to do it in the past?
:)

A good post on the reality check, Thommo, at least to an extent, but you're choosing your words carefully. It's not due to Suarez that we aren't challenging, it's the subsequent management of the club and team, the wasted money, the wasted opportunity to build on last season. We finish 2nd last season and what have we done this time? Nothing. Nothing at all. No progress. We're no better under BR than we were under Kenny. I honestly see no reason to be flocking under the banner of such a selfish, egotistical man as BR who shows very little loyalty to anything other than himself and his 'philosophy'.
You really seem to be wearing the beer goggles because all your points are rhetorical and fail to answer such questions as: where the fook did all that transfer money and wages go? Why are we so short of players? For all the wonder that is BR, why has all this years planning, money and hope gone into a bunch of crocks and Borini? There's so many questions that posters like yourself seem to ignore.
RedAnt

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion