Bob Paisley Commemoration Research Project for St. Peters

For new members to introduce themselves - Guest Book

Postby PatrickMcG » Thu May 22, 2014 5:58 pm

Hi everyone,

I am a second year student at the university of Chester conducting a research project on the life and managerial career of Bob Paisley for St Peters Church, Woolton. I'm writing in this forum just to gain an insight from Liverpool fans themselves of the opinions and perceptions of this great manager for which I can implement in my project. The research gathered will possibly be published on a visitors booklet for St. Peters. What better way to find out about this man than from the very people for which his career had such a profound impact on. I also encourage International Fans to post comments as I think it would be a good way to present how his managerial career had a worldwide influence as well as a national one. Thanks  :)
PatrickMcG
LFC newBie

Postby Reg » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:14 am

The fact is, most fans these days aren't old enough to know the man and those who are, can't remember. And of course what we as fans knew of Bob in the pre internet and pre match interview days was very limited anyway.

Bob was a the complete opposite of today's typical manager. Lived in a simple house with a low key lifestyle. He lived for football in a quiet and very modest manner,  knew what he wanted but was said to be ruthless in dropping players when they didn't live up to his expectations. He communicated with the fans and the city of Liverpool through the Echo. Liverpool was his world and europe meant excursions overseas.

Football needs more men like Whispering Bob, the EPL need more men like him and Anfield needs more men like him. Bob was the greatest manager LFC ever had. Either you experienced his quiet manner or you will struggle to grasp what he was about.

If I were you mate, I'd jump a train to the Wirral and go speak with Rushie, to Southport and speak with Kenny or go find Barney Rubble on matchday etc.. these are the guys who can really tell you about the man. Fan views on the net won't even scratch the surface.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby andy c legs » Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:45 pm

Hi Reg,

I've got a library of books on the reds (much to my missus annoyance!) and one of the best is called, 'Manager of the Millenium' by the excellent Keith Roberts. If you've not read it then i highly recommend you dip into it. It's fantastic and gives a real insight into this truly great manager and MAN.

I was just too young to see one of his great teams in action having gone to Anfield for the first time in 1986 but I grew-up with Bob and his LFC team. I recall that when he retired, that Brian Clough fronted one of two special programmes about him. Again, you may be able to get this on you tube?? Cloughie held him in high esteem and that says everything.

Who else could have successfully have bought not only a replacement for Keegan but a player who was even better? King Kenny will always be King of the Kop so long as I've got a pulse and after that too.. What a genius Bob was to sign him.

He was such an humble man and rarely seemed to make a fuss. Let's just say two facts that should stand the test of time:- HIS LIVERPOOL won 6 League titles in 9 seasons and also THREE European Cups in just 9 seasons. Any other club would have named their stadium after a manager who done that, not just a lovely set of gates (which typified Bob's modesty).

Hope this helps.

How is the project going now? Let us know as I'm interested..
[b]I am and always will be in love with them...
andy c legs
LFC Basic Member

Return to Introductions Forum