LUCAS LEIVA - OFFICIAL THREAD

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby RedAnt » Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:41 pm

I've been a critic of Lucas but I think he and Coutinho have been superb recently. I stand by my belief that we could have upgraded in pre-season but I'd prefer Lucas hung around. He's become part of the furniture.
"The S*n: The paper you wipe your ars.e on and more sh*t comes off the paper"
RedAnt

Postby damjan193 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 3:26 pm

Any news on the injury?
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby C-R » Sun Feb 08, 2015 3:56 pm

damjan193 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:26 pm wrote:Any news on the injury?

Will be assessed tomorrow, fingers crossed
C-R
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Feb 08, 2015 5:28 pm

cardiff-red » Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:56 pm wrote:

After walking off on Saturday I can't see him being fit enough to play Tuesday.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby damjan193 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:31 pm

cardiff-red » Sun Feb 08, 2015 4:56 pm wrote:

Cheers mate. Yakka is right though, no way he'll be fit for Tuesday. But hopefully it won't be longer than that.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby C-R » Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:27 am

Liverpool made to sweat over Lucas Leiva injury in Merseyside derby

The return of the Brazilian midfielder to Liverpool’s starting line as coincided with an upturn in fortunes, but he is out of Tuesday’s pivotal showdown with Tottenham and could be facing a lengthy absence.

Lucas missed the FA Cup win over Bolton Wanderers last Wednesday with a thigh problem linked to his adductor muscle and had not trained properly in the build up to the stalemate with Everton.

He was withdrawn after 15-minutes at Goodison Park, and replaced by Joe Allen, amid fears he suffered a new injury in the same area rather than aggravating the existing problem.

Manager Brendan Rodgers was assessing his walking wounded in the aftermath of Saturday’s goalless stalemate with Raheem Sterling and Philippe Coutinho both substituted after receiving knocks to their foot and knee respectively.

Liverpool are four points behind fifth-placed Tottenham and can ill-afford to lose any ground, but looked leggy against Everton as if their recent schedule is catching up with them.

“The only downfall of being in cup competitions is the number of games, but whatever happens with injuries to players the squad will be better for the experience,” said Rodgers.

“If we are playing one game a week it is because we are not in cup competitions and not doing as well as we would want. We want the games to come.

“This is a challenging year, but we will be better when we come out of this year and so will the players. Phil Coutinho had a knock on his knee and Raheem had a knock on his foot.

“We had fresh players on the bench to bring on and hopefully they will be fit for Tuesday.”

Adam Lallana hopes to be available for the visit of Tottenham when Liverpool’s defensive improvement will be put to the test by in-form striker Harry Kane.
C-R
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby C-R » Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:24 pm

It is being suggested Lucas is out for a month
C-R
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby damjan193 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:31 pm

The way I see it, there's a good, a bad and a very bad way of dealing with this:

1. The good way would be shifting Can in midfield. It's a no-brainer for me, the guy is in top form and full with confidence. In previous posts I said that I would prefer him to stay in the back 3 for the time being but I didn't expect Lucas to get injured. It happened though and for me there isn't a better option to replace Lucas in midfield than Can. There's of course the risk with Lovren but I'm willing to risk it.
2. The bad way would be to play Joe Allen. He's not in form, he's not match fit and even if he was he'd still be average at best. OK he can have a good game every now and then but most of the time he's average, passes only sideways, can't tackle and gets bullied off every duel. It might be the safest thing to do but it's not the best.
3. And the very bad way is obvious, shifting Gerrard back in midfield. Don't think there's a need to explain why it would be the worst decision, we all saw it in the first half if the season. Stevie can still pass it alright but lacks everything else to play in our midfield; endurance, positional sense, disrupts our pressing game... games would be lost even before they start if we go with this.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:32 pm

RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:59 pm

The sooner he gets back the better, we have won games while he has been out injured but we haven't looked anywhere near as convincing.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby only me » Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:28 am

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:59 pm wrote:

The sooner he gets back the better, we have won games while he has been out injured but we haven't looked anywhere near as convincing.

Disagree mate ,we haven't lost a beat. A confident Allen is just as Lucas even better. The only hit we received without him playing was against Besiktas and we can all agree that goes on our attacking players.
only me
LFC Super Member

Postby C-R » Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:46 pm

An update on Lucas from the Liverpool Echo....

Liverpool have received a major boost after Lucas Leiva was passed fit to return to full training.

The Brazil midfielder hasn’t featured for the Reds since he was forced off with a thigh injury in the Merseyside derby at Goodison on February 7.

However, six weeks on Lucas has now rejoined Brendan Rodgers’ squad and is ready to play a part in Liverpool’s pursuit of a Champions League spot and FA Cup glory.

Rodgers will decide over the coming days whether Lucas will be involved in Sunday’s Premier League showdown with Manchester United at Anfield.

Considering his lengthy spell on the sidelines, a more likely comeback game is the trip to Arsenal on Easter Saturday.

Having Lucas available significantly strengthens Rodgers’ midfield options. With Jose Enrique and Jon Flanagan also back in training, the Reds’ casualty list has cleared up as they enter a crucial run of fixtures.

Lucas had played a key role in Liverpool’s resurgence prior to his injury setback with his wealth of experience providing protection for the three-man backline. In the absence of the 28-year-old, Joe Allen and Jordan Henderson have formed a successful midfield double act.
C-R
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:31 pm

Its essential he plays some part in the United game ,I just think with Carrick being reintroduced to the United team they've suddenly started pinging the ball around
with real purpose ,and Lucas reads the game and subsequently the drop of the ball better than any DM in the prem. Allen's a willing runner and he's looking more
tenacious with every game ,but we need a football brain for this testing encounter.

I know he's only just returned to full training ,but the lad could be integral to us dominating the midfield,nonetheless its a massive boost to have him available for
selection once more.
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby only me » Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:47 pm

RED BEERGOGGLES » Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:31 pm wrote:Its essential he plays some part in the United game ,I just think with Carrick being reintroduced to the United team they've suddenly started pinging the ball around
with real purpose ,and Lucas reads the game and subsequently the drop of the ball better than any DM in the prem. Allen's a willing runner and he's looking more
tenacious with every game ,but we need a football brain for this testing encounter.

I know he's only just returned to full training ,but the lad could be integral to us dominating the midfield,nonetheless its a massive boost to have him available for
selection once more.

What are you talking about mate? A good in form Allen is miles better then Lucas he is much more skillful on the ball with great passing abilities amazed you would even think dropping Allen for an injured Lucas.
only me
LFC Super Member

Postby andy c legs » Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:45 pm

It's great to see that Lucas is back in contention. I would not start him v Man U but I'd be sorely tempted too due to his tackling abilities. We have looked more solid this season when he's been there. When he came he could not tackle to save his or our lives but over the years he's learnt his trade really well. Allen though is at last beginning to play really well, on a consistent basis and that £15 odd mill we payed for him is proving well worth it.. :;):
[b]I am and always will be in love with them...
andy c legs
LFC Basic Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion