Brendan Rodgers thread (signs extended contract)

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:18 am

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:01 am wrote:
RED BEERGOGGLES » Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:45 pm wrote:
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:41 pm wrote:Those types of stories are nothing new, didn't Benayoun say something similar about Rafa?

Yeah lets just dismiss it ,its obvious Rodgers holds all those discernible traits that defines a Liverpool manager  ???

Seem to remember you defending Suarez's actions quite a lot over the last few years RBG, what Rodgers said to Carroll is trivial everyday stuff compared to the hot water Suarez regularly found himself in.

Every Liverpool fan defended Suarez lad ,its not like I had a personal epiphany  :D Although lets be honest here mate, Rodgers treatment of Carroll is not the kind that
will ingratiate him with fans who find those revelations slightly strange, if indeed they hold an element of truth  ???
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maguskwt » Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:47 am

RED BEERGOGGLES » Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:18 am wrote:
Every Liverpool fan defended Suarez lad ,its not like I had a personal epiphany  :D Although lets be honest here mate, Rodgers treatment of Carroll is not the kind that
will ingratiate him with fans who find those revelations slightly strange, if indeed they hold an element of truth  ???

If indeed, indeed... one side of the coin...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Danish Red » Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:00 am

RED BEERGOGGLES » Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:41 pm wrote:
Danish Red » Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:30 pm wrote:If it was that bad then why did Carroll wait 2 1/2 years to say something -  the same Carroll who that summer was pictured boozing up all over Europe. If BR was the first person to ***** off a player then could understand the moral outrage - but he isn't nor will be be the last - Carroll was the worst signing financially the club ever made - him going was the right thing to do

Balotelli and his agent has already stated that he is happy at Liverpool - no need to shudder

I will leave the shuddering to you fella seems your a bit too frantic in your quest to big up Rodgers ,maybe it would be less traumatic if you accepted some people
actually don't like or trust the man,but you carry on the good fight ,I find your defence amusing but lacking any real substance ,its like listening to someone stammer  :D

Why wouldnt i trust him ? Has done nothing to make me not trust him.

What do you think of statements like this ?

Like it or not he's the Liverpool manager ,and as such he will receive the backing of the supporters ,the last thing we need right now is to chop and
change managers on a whim

or this ?

We gave our support unconditionally to Dalglish in his time of need ,I see no reason we cant afford a bright young manager the opportunity to set things
straight
Danish Red
LFC Basic Member

Postby Boocity » Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:02 am

Danish Red, you have been very quick to go on the attack to anyone who dares say anything against BR, in your eyes he can do no wrong, well I am sorry but it will take a while for me to trust him again after his perplexing tactics and team selection earlier in the season and our abject performances in the CL, that in particular leaves a very sour taste.
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Danish Red » Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:11 am

Boocity » Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:02 am wrote:Danish Red, you have been very quick to go on the attack to anyone who dares say anything against BR, in your eyes he can do no wrong, well I am sorry but it will take a while for me to trust him again after his perplexing tactics and team selection earlier in the season and our abject performances in the CL, that in particular leaves a very sour taste.

Attack ?

I guess if you read my posts you will see that i have acknowledged the mistakes he has made during his tenure but i chose not to focus on them and look to the positives we have going on.

If he was the first manager to have "perplexing tactics and team selection" "abject performances in the CL" - then i would maybe understand - but i wonder how many didnt trust Rafa after doing to the same , or Kenny , we even had shockers with both Bill and Bob in charge in Europe.

Its his first season in the Cl and he made errors and was naive in the games - we should have gone through but didnt perform well enough - but its a learning curve for him

6 games in the CL should never define the manager nor should they be used as an excuse/reason to have him gone.

The owners went down a brave path with a young inexpirenced manager who was goign to make mistake , who was going to get things wrong at times and who was goign to need time - not a couple of seasons

The crowd was jumping yesterday - the excitement was buzzing and it was great to see the manager and players smiling. You may not trust him but the Anfield crowd does from what i witness
Danish Red
LFC Basic Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:53 pm

RED BEERGOGGLES

We all defended Luis mate because football is tribal in nature and that's what football fans do, we were prepared to look past Luis's negative traits (which were a lot worse than any negative traits Brendan may have) because we knew he was a major asset to this club.
If Brendan's comments wind one or two fans up then I suggest they adopt a similar stance to the one they took with Suarez because over time Brendan will become a far bigger asset to this club than Luis ever was.
Come on RBG you should be on this side of the argument, you've never been the knee jerk type before, if anything you are the classic circle the wagons type. Football is full of ups and downs, even in our heyday we had plenty of spells where it looked like Leeds, Forest or Everton had overtaken us, the great thing this club had though was that it didn't pull itself down from the inside, even when Shankly went 6 years without a trophy and suffered some horror results like the cup defeat to Watford or United beating us 4-1 at Anfield the fans stuck together.
As Kenny said when he came back - if we all stick together we can achieve something.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Boocity » Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:56 pm

Danish Red » Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:11 am wrote:
Boocity » Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:02 am wrote:Danish Red, you have been very quick to go on the attack to anyone who dares say anything against BR, in your eyes he can do no wrong, well I am sorry but it will take a while for me to trust him again after his perplexing tactics and team selection earlier in the season and our abject performances in the CL, that in particular leaves a very sour taste.

Attack ?

I guess if you read my posts you will see that i have acknowledged the mistakes he has made during his tenure but i chose not to focus on them and look to the positives we have going on.

If he was the first manager to have "perplexing tactics and team selection" "abject performances in the CL" - then i would maybe understand - but i wonder how many didnt trust Rafa after doing to the same , or Kenny , we even had shockers with both Bill and Bob in charge in Europe.

Its his first season in the Cl and he made errors and was naive in the games - we should have gone through but didnt perform well enough - but its a learning curve for him

6 games in the CL should never define the manager nor should they be used as an excuse/reason to have him gone.

The owners went down a brave path with a young inexpirenced manager who was goign to make mistake , who was going to get things wrong at times and who was goign to need time - not a couple of seasons

The crowd was jumping yesterday - the excitement was buzzing and it was great to see the manager and players smiling. You may not trust him but the Anfield crowd does from what i witness

Its irrelevant that Bob and Bill had defeats in Europe when we are talking about this seasons campaign, yes he is on a learning curve but he had 6 games in get it right and the last game a win would have seen us through but he failed badly particulartly in the home tie against Basle, really there was no excuse for the tactics in that game. The minimum BR needs to do is get us back into the top four this season, anything less would be disastrous and could put us back years. We will see how the rest of this season goes and only then can we decide if he is the manager to take us forward long term. Mind you, I am getting a bit sick and tired of people going on about him being ' a young inexperienced manager' well sorry but he has had plenty of experience at managing teams and this is his third season with us, remember what Kenny did when he became player manager, now he was a 'young inexperienced manager'.
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Danish Red » Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:04 pm

Boocity » Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:56 am wrote:
Danish Red » Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:11 am wrote:

Attack ?

Its irrelevant that Bob and Bill had defeats in Europe when we are talking about this seasons campaign, yes he is on a learning curve but he had 6 games in get it right and the last game a win would have seen us through but he failed badly particulartly in the home tie against Basle, really there was no excuse for the tactics in that game. The minimum BR needs to do is get us back into the top four this season, anything less would be disastrous and could put us back years. We will see how the rest of this season goes and only then can we decide if he is the manager to take us forward long term. Mind you, I am getting a bit sick and tired of people going on about him being ' a young inexperienced manager' well sorry but he has had plenty of experience at managing teams and this is his third season with us, remember what Kenny did when he became player manager, now he was a 'young inexperienced manager'.

Kenny had a little help though didnt he - the names of Paisley , Moran and Evans to be exact - totally different situation. Even Kenny says in his book he wouldnt have had a chance with the help of those

And even if we dont reach CL - BR still stays, just like Rafa should have stayed when he failed to reach the CL - chopping and changing every 3 years does us nothing

BR's performance last season has earned him imo the chance to continue to being our manager for a good few season yet
Danish Red
LFC Basic Member

Postby damjan193 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:48 pm

Re Carroll, every cast-out ever has similar things to say. Wouldn't pay too much attention to it.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby Thommo's perm » Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:03 pm

Rodgers is a good manager, not a great manager yet, but hes getting there. Shankly wasnt a great manager when he arrived here as his record proves. Take Keegan and Toshack out his team and he would have struggled?
After losing one of the best strikers in the world and the best english striker out for 5 or so months, we are still only 4 points off 4th, and still in the FA cup and Europa League. Thats with Balotelli, Borini, Markovich, Johnson, Lovren etc playing for us.
Cut the manager some slack and get behind him instead of criticising him constantly?
:buttrock
Thommo's perm

Postby only me » Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:24 pm

Thommo's perm » Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:03 pm wrote:Rodgers is a good manager, not a great manager yet, but hes getting there. Shankly wasnt a great manager when he arrived here as his record proves. Take Keegan and Toshack out his team and he would have struggled?
After losing one of the best strikers in the world and the best english striker out for 5 or so months, we are still only 4 points off 4th, and still in the FA cup and Europa League. Thats with Balotelli, Borini, Markovich, Johnson, Lovren etc playing for us.
Cut the manager some slack and get behind him instead of criticising him constantly?

Hmmm nice spin....Losing Suarez wasn't a surprise ,Sturridge injury not a shock ,BR didn't prepare at all and failed populating this crucial position.
He failed miserably in the CL ,due to stubbornest and ill tactics - playing for a draw against Basel at home?
Horrible tactics and inability to change. SG as DM ,One striker....
Poor team selection poor subs.
No marquee signing...
Pathetic interviews...

He has a lot to answer for.
only me
LFC Super Member

Postby Thommo's perm » Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:36 pm

only me » Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:24 pm wrote:
Thommo's perm » Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:03 pm wrote:Rodgers is a good manager, not a great manager yet, but hes getting there. Shankly wasnt a great manager when he arrived here as his record proves. Take Keegan and Toshack out his team and he would have struggled?

Hmmm nice spin....Losing Suarez wasn't a surprise ,Sturridge injury not a shock ,BR didn't prepare at all and failed populating this crucial position.
He failed miserably in the CL ,due to stubbornest and ill tactics - playing for a draw against Basel at home?
Horrible tactics and inability to change. SG as DM ,One striker....
Poor team selection poor subs.
No marquee signing...
Pathetic interviews...

He has a lot to answer for.

Yes but other than all of that, hes doing quite well..?
:eyebrow
Thommo's perm

Postby fivecups » Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:18 pm

RED BEERGOGGLES » Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:12 pm wrote:
"With Brendan Rodgers, there was a lot going on," Carroll said. "What he was saying to me and what was actually happening [were different things]. He was telling me one thing to my face, then I'd leave the training ground and he would ring me and tell me a completely different thing.

"He would say: 'You're going to play every week, you're going to play every game up front with [Luis] Suarez'. I'd leave and get home and he would ring me and say: 'Fulham and West Ham want you and I think it's best you should go.' I had just had a conversation with him 10 minutes ago. So I would go back and see him and he would say the opposite again.

"It was the same thing round and round and round. On phone calls, it was: 'I think you should go.' To my face it was: 'You'll start every week'. It was mixed messages. He was messing with my head. I lost respect for him, to be honest."

Seriously RBG this quote is ridiculous and implausible. If your taking the word of a failed ex-player and using that to denigrate our manager you've really lost any sense of balance and certainly any sense of support. If it was a wool dishing this out on the forum you would have them hung, drawn and quartered.

I think we can all agree our football was awful for the first half of the season, we can certainly criticise Rodgers for that. Similarly multiple changes of players and a move away from the 4-3-3 that was so successful last season, to a 3-4-2-1 have got us playing top four football now. For me, the ability to turn our form around the way he has is very impressive and bodes well for us going forward. Definitely not the time to be thinking about yet another manager.
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:36 pm

fivecups » Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:18 pm wrote:
RED BEERGOGGLES » Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:12 pm wrote:
"With Brendan Rodgers, there was a lot going on," Carroll said. "What he was saying to me and what was actually happening [were different things]. He was telling me one thing to my face, then I'd leave the training ground and he would ring me and tell me a completely different thing.

"He would say: 'You're going to play every week, you're going to play every game up front with [Luis] Suarez'. I'd leave and get home and he would ring me and say: 'Fulham and West Ham want you and I think it's best you should go.' I had just had a conversation with him 10 minutes ago. So I would go back and see him and he would say the opposite again.

"It was the same thing round and round and round. On phone calls, it was: 'I think you should go.' To my face it was: 'You'll start every week'. It was mixed messages. He was messing with my head. I lost respect for him, to be honest."

Seriously RBG this quote is ridiculous and implausible. If your taking the word of a failed ex-player and using that to denigrate our manager you've really lost any sense of balance and certainly any sense of support. If it was a wool dishing this out on the forum you would have them hung, drawn and quartered.

I think we can all agree our football was awful for the first half of the season, we can certainly criticise Rodgers for that. Similarly multiple changes of players and a move away from the 4-3-3 that was so successful last season, to a 3-4-2-1 have got us playing top four football now. For me, the ability to turn our form around the way he has is very impressive and bodes well for us going forward. Definitely not the time to be thinking about yet another manager.

Listen Fivecups I respect you as a poster ,but don't ever doubt my support lad ....I don't like the man simple as that ,and I'm honest enough to accept the critique that
I'm afforded by my stance ,but seriously fella if you would have been at Anfield the night we sailed unceremoniously out of the most illustrious competition in Europe
and seen the pain etched on the respective masks of those in the Kop  ,then you would give up the ghost on this one mate.

I think in general I have been quite respectful towards Rodgers ,yes I doubt him ,but have never given myself  over to casting nasty asides about the man or used
derogatory references or for that matter expletives to describe him... I think given how emotive the issue is with me personally Ive done quite well under the
circumstances ,especially given my propensity in the past to sometimes be as cutting as fucking cheese wire when the need arises. :D

So perhaps we should leave it their mate ,and let the future under Rodgers unfold ?
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:51 pm

Danish Red » Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:00 am wrote:
RED BEERGOGGLES » Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:41 pm wrote:
Danish Red » Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:30 pm wrote:If it was that bad then why did Carroll wait 2 1/2 years to say something -  the same Carroll who that summer was pictured boozing up all over Europe. If BR was the first person to ***** off a player then could understand the moral outrage - but he isn't nor will be be the last - Carroll was the worst signing financially the club ever made - him going was the right thing to do

Balotelli and his agent has already stated that he is happy at Liverpool - no need to shudder

I will leave the shuddering to you fella seems your a bit too frantic in your quest to big up Rodgers ,maybe it would be less traumatic if you accepted some people
actually don't like or trust the man,but you carry on the good fight ,I find your defence amusing but lacking any real substance ,its like listening to someone stammer  :D

Why wouldnt i trust him ? Has done nothing to make me not trust him.

What do you think of statements like this ?

Like it or not he's the Liverpool manager ,and as such he will receive the backing of the supporters ,the last thing we need right now is to chop and
change managers on a whim

or this ?

We gave our support unconditionally to Dalglish in his time of need ,I see no reason we cant afford a bright young manager the opportunity to set things
straight

All before our exit from the Champions League ,so no real relevance to the debate ,listen lad you can spin it till your dizzy fella ,it wont make a blind bit of difference
I don't trust the man ,and losing the affinity he had with those fans inside Anfield on that fated night was done with such arrogance its frankly unforgivable.

I admire your persistence fella ,I mean I've backed many a manager and player to the hilt on these very boards myself ,sometimes to the point of basing it solely
on blind faith alone,but I'm not for turning on this one !
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion